Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How should University work world wise?

Comments

• Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    A seperate world like we have had previously. Sims live there entire run of Uni.
    I think I'd like it to be like the sims 2
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    Add lots like Get To Work where no matter where your Sims live, they’ll all load up in the same Uni. The world would still provide new locations. Sims could still live at home and go each day.
    I'd rather have something like the Get to Work where a college, a high school, and an elementary school is located with maybe a thrift store or pizza planet hangout where they can get food, play stand up video games, and also work there. The teacher profession in the different grades with a few new careers & advancement in the ones we have. :)
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Add a new Residential world, that we can use for Uni (with Dorms etc) but we can repurpose it as a normal residential world if we want.
    I'd prefer a new residential world with new lot types like University, dorms, fraternity/sorority houses the third option sounds horrible and I want nothing from Get to Work as it felt like a mini game closed off from the rest of the world I don't want that with University.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Add lots like Get To Work where no matter where your Sims live, they’ll all load up in the same Uni. The world would still provide new locations. Sims could still live at home and go each day.
    I find the concept of going 'away' to uni, to be unusual. Only a few people go 'away' to uni here, and most of them are still in their home state when they do so.

Dormitories here are usually single rooms, and mostly just for international students, or out of town students, who haven't yet found friends to share-house with.

I recently moved form the major city in this state, it has 3 major universities, two of which have campuses in the city centre. The vast majority of students attending those campuses live within a 45 minute bus ride of their classes.

My preference for how the Uni world should work, is that it would be a separate world, your sims could live in that world, or they could commute from their home world daily for classes. I don't want to be locked into sending my sims 'away', as I'd like to be able to play the rest of their household without having to send everyone to uni.

aprilrose wrote: »
    I want the option to commute and the option to live on campus. A world with dorms of course but also the ability to live at home and study in the Uni World. I also think it'd be cool for sims to be able to live amongst college campuses, like families living in college towns.

This would be nice but I still think it should be separate in the sense that the sims in school don't run into their family members while they are supposed to be "away" at school.
    But that would be unrealistic to me.
    Most people here go to Uni in their home city, most live at home during at least their first year of uni, they run into their family at breakfast.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    A seperate world like we have had previously. Sims live there entire run of Uni.
    Movotti wrote: »
    I find the concept of going 'away' to uni, to be unusual. Only a few people go 'away' to uni here, and most of them are still in their home state when they do so.

Dormitories here are usually single rooms, and mostly just for international students, or out of town students, who haven't yet found friends to share-house with.

I recently moved form the major city in this state, it has 3 major universities, two of which have campuses in the city centre. The vast majority of students attending those campuses live within a 45 minute bus ride of their classes.

My preference for how the Uni world should work, is that it would be a separate world, your sims could live in that world, or they could commute from their home world daily for classes. I don't want to be locked into sending my sims 'away', as I'd like to be able to play the rest of their household without having to send everyone to uni.

aprilrose wrote: »
    I want the option to commute and the option to live on campus. A world with dorms of course but also the ability to live at home and study in the Uni World. I also think it'd be cool for sims to be able to live amongst college campuses, like families living in college towns.

This would be nice but I still think it should be separate in the sense that the sims in school don't run into their family members while they are supposed to be "away" at school.
    But that would be unrealistic to me.
    Most people here go to Uni in their home city, most live at home during at least their first year of uni, they run into their family at breakfast.

I see where you are coming from. It's tough because it could work multiple ways, it's really up to the developers in the end and they may just keep it like it was in the other versions. We shall see but I totally get what you mean. I went to school in my home state but it wasn't super far, lived in the dorms for two years and decided to commute the rest of the years. So it would be nice to have the option to dorm/rent house or commute.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• MekoSharkMekoShark Posts: 161 Member
    Add a new Residential world, that we can use for Uni (with Dorms etc) but we can repurpose it as a normal residential world if we want.
    I'd like to have a world like Windenberg/City Living, where the university and dorms could be set up like the tourist manision in Windenberg. And I would also want to be able to place buildings from the bowling and dine out packs wherever I pleased, in addition to residential lots. I would also like 2 or more lots designated as dorms as well the way City Living was designed. So essentially, I'd want a college town.
    Sharks need love too 🦈

• DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    edited July 2018
    In my head, I see an EDUCATION pack for all levels of education with schools to match.

The map might have a winding road that starts at the bottom/right corner and snakes it's way to the top/left corner. Off of this road, would be a street entrance to each age level of school. The entrance road would end or circle a small quad and the needed lots would be located around this road. In the lower/left of the map, there would be a street for houses and buildings to visit, the town, so to speak.

Edit to add:

Here is a map I drew up of how I think an Education World might look.
    41577063110_2bd54502b9_h.jpg
    Post edited by Dannydanbo on
  • Cynel1Cynel1 Posts: 1,389 Member
    So For a Uni Pack the only Carrer i would love to have are Skill Carrers.
  • JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    I just want at least one world, completely dedicated to university.

I'm not against other educational stuff being in the pack, but for a university pack it needs to be the focus. A university campus needs to have dorms, bar, library, greek houses as a minimum. Maybe lecture halls/labs to do classes like GTW. Plus empty spaces for us to add things like restaurants, night clubs, etc. from other packs. Honestly I don't think other educational areas will fit in that world, with all the university stuff it's getting pretty big.

In my dream pack there would be two university worlds with different grade requirements from high school/different costs, but I know that's probably unlikely as we've never had two worlds in a pack. I'd also like a rabbit hole option as well, just like a standard career, goals, etc.. which wouldn't require you to live on campus, that way you get both options which makes everyone happy.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    A part of me would love it if YA Sims could attend Uni while still living in town. However, due to TS4's nature -- the inability to control more than one Sim at a time -- I'm not sure how well that would work out. So, having a separate Uni world might be the better option.

At least, when the Sims are at Uni, the other Sims would be in a sort of suspended animation. That way, we wouldn't lose time with the inactive Sims -- time that we can never get back.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I think it could fall Under Destination world.
    I fear dorms would be like apartments in city living

but We could design the rest of the campus.

However, I want to be able to at least name, build and shape the school's reputation
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • AiviraAivira Posts: 40 Member
    I'd love having another world in general so adding a new world that I can use would be great for me. I didn't use university too much in TS3 since it took so much time to get a degree, and you'd only get to pick one trait out of it. I guess that's great for some people and you get your diploma and all, but I'm hoping TS4 approaches it a bit differently like they did with the other expansions, though I can't say I agree with what they did for the other expansions/stuff packs.
  • JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    Separate world. People in general go to different cities/towns to go to college, so it'd make sense. Also I believe in every single sims game this has been the case, well at least for TS3, and I'm fairly certain for TS2 too.
  • agent_bevagent_bev Posts: 1,313 Member
    The most important thing is we get at least 5 new traits, 5 new aspirations and 5 new careers (non-active). The game is so lacking in that dept all the sims starts feeling the exact same
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    Cynna wrote: »
    A part of me would love it if YA Sims could attend Uni while still living in town. However, due to TS4's nature -- the inability to control more than one Sim at a time -- I'm not sure how well that would work out. So, having a separate Uni world might be the better option.

At least, when the Sims are at Uni, the other Sims would be in a sort of suspended animation. That way, we wouldn't lose time with the inactive Sims -- time that we can never get back.

This is also why I'm against schools being opened up. If you have to choose which Sim within a household to play and leave the others to being uncontrollable and unproductive, what's the point?
    It's bad enough if your Sim works overtime in GTW career and they come home to the kids not having completed their homework and no one has cooked dinner...
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • creedlescreedles Posts: 60 Member
    I think the university should be it's own world, while any sim who doesn't live there could go visit anytime they want if you are controlling them, only sims who live there would spawn in that area, and you won't constantly see people from Willow Creek or San Myshuno walking around. In addition to the university, they should also have a boarding school for teens, children and a new age group, preteens (taller than children, look like children but can kiss and have boyfriends and girlfriends, but cannot mess around, and can play spin the bottle and have awkward puberty moodlets.
  • lexus20lexus20 Posts: 1,302 Member
    I really like this option, even though I think it will be the third option. It would be nice to be able to build dorms in other worlds too. Besides, this thing where students live on campus I think it's mostly an American thing. In my country, most universities don't have dorms at all and you continue living with your parents or if the university is in a different city than the one you used to live, you usually rent an apartment or live in a dorm located somewhere in the city, but outside the university campus. Most people here only move out of their parents' house when they marry or move to another city, but universities are usually located in big cities.
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    There are the "Home World" and "Vacation World" tabs right now and I'd like them to add a "University World" tab with the university as well. :)
    a256aFi.gif
  • HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    Definitely a separate world, maybe something with around 10 lots? A few dorms, a few university buildings and a library, nightclub and bar. That would be the ideal for me.
    lexus20 wrote: »
    Besides, this thing where students live on campus I think it's mostly an American thing.
    It does seem to be.
    In my country, most universities don't have dorms at all and you continue living with your parents or if the university is in a different city than the one you used to live, you usually rent an apartment or live in a dorm located somewhere in the city, but outside the university campus.
    That sounds similar to how it is in Australia.
    If you don't live with your folks, you live in a share-house with friends, and you may remain in the share-house after you complete uni.
    Dorms are for first years students from out of town, or for international students. They're rarely on campus. There's no logical reason for anyone else to use them, since most uni students attend a uni in their home city.
    Most people here only move out of their parents' house when they marry or move to another city,
    Many people here move out to get their own space... and their 'own space' is usually just a room in a share house. Rents are a bit high, so about the only time people have a place of their own is when they're in a relationship. A couple can usually afford something small.
    universities are usually located in big cities.
    Our capital cities have multiple universities, and our smaller cities often have campuses of those unis, sometimes a "campus" is just a single building, with no room for dorms.

I don't want my sims to be forced to live on campus yet again. It's too unrealistic.

• Mushroomlover123Mushroomlover123 Posts: 1 New Member
    I feel like they should do a two parter, one part should have the traditional option of moving to the destination world like university life to get that kind of education while the second part should give a “community” style education that can pick up on building skills like woodwork, flower assembling and maybe add new careers like interior decorator that they can train up for. This community style add-on could also include primary education functions and like the “get to school” mod can take your sims to school where you can decide if they are a teachers pet or if they are a delinquent, adding more time for you to build your sims skills earlier on in their lives... the university can be accurately priced so that only the “rich” can easily go or the unfortunate can work their butts off to go too, it should be like a city center where you can choose your neighborhood, including a Greek neighbourhood of course, while the community college can work in all the other worlds so your sim doesn’t have to uproot, I think this would be a clever way to bring many new things to the sims 4 and I’m interested where the creators will take us!
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I toyed with option 2 in my mind but I think I want a separate world dedicated to the university.

I really want the set up to be like sims 2. I want to be able to send all my teens at the same time. It would give me an extra layer of gameplay if I can send all of the teens and have them on their own rotation through college.
  • RebbilinaRebbilina Posts: 377 Member
    I wouldn't want it to be just like a normal neighbourhood though, I want there to be uni specific stuff that aren't part of the lots. I also really want them to be able to enroll and still live somewhere else. Where I live (Sweden), it's quite common to live in dorms, but they are almost never on the actual campus. They might be close, but the university itself doesn't provide housing, the local authoroties and/or private companies provide rooms and flats that they rent out. Also, they are not all dorms. Me and my girlfriend live in a so called student flat, which we can rent since I'm a student and on the contract, but it's just like any other normal flat and she isn't even a student. I understand that they might not be able to cater to every specific situation, but I feel like most people could do what they'd like if both living on and living off campus was possible.
  • tiff_ben98tiff_ben98 Posts: 9 New Member
    I would really like for university to be a separate world, and just like sims 2 university I would like there to be options to choose from. I would also like if some universities can be based on whether or not sim qualifies to go there (like if there grade is a C they can't go to a top notch uni). I would also think it'd be cool that if the university pack wasn't just solely focused on university but included more insight to other education option. Maybe there would be a way you could send your children to tutoring or hire a tutor if they are not doing well. I really enjoyed having a scout after school activity "job" made available to kids, so maybe more after school activities can be made available like sports or student body? In regards to university, I still enjoy the concepts of fraternities and sororities, but I'd like if there could be an option to have clubs for that life stage only (just add to the feature from get together). I like to focus on the community aspect of the university as well as the small nitty gritty stuff like declaring a major, get assigned papers, living in a dorm, etc
    tiff_ben98 wrote: »
    I would also like if some universities can be based on whether or not sim qualifies to go there (like if there grade is a C they can't go to a top notch uni).
    Why not have it as it is here? If you don't get good grades, you don't get to go to uni at all.

In regards to university, I still enjoy the concepts of fraternities and sororities,
    I'd like them to have an on/off switch, so you can have them in your save or not.
    but I'd like if there could be an option to have clubs for that life stage only
    Yes! Uni clubs are a big deal here. They're how you meet with people outside of the course you're doing. You don't even have to be a uni student to join most of them, former students often return, year after year, to pay their membership, and remain in a role of mentor to the new members.

declaring a major
    I've never really understood that concept.
    Everyone I know who attended uni, entered knowing what they were going to study.
    Then again, I've also read that first year uni in the US is often similar to our last year of secondary school. We finish school, knowing what direction we're going in, they don't choose the direction until uni.
    Maybe I do understand it after all. :/