Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do ugly townies bother you? Do you find townies ugly?

MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
I’ve seen a lot of people posting about how they hate the appearance of the townies because they are “ugly” or “hideous” and they always have to give them makeovers for this reason, or they find the game unplayable.

I feel like I’m the only one who doesn’t find townies ugly. I know that Sims isn’t meant to be like real life per say, but I like that the townies have imperfections because that makes it more realistic for me. I don’t want a world full of perfect sims. I also think that the townies are, on average, much better looking than an average human being. And, there are quite a number of them who I think are very attractive.

I do mind a bit about the frequency of poor clothes choices. Sure, there are some quirky people in real life who are going to wear strange things, but it’s not as common as in the sims. I don’t, however, mind what townies are wearing so long as it is vaguely normal - they needn’t all be style icons.

Just a quick disclaimer: I am not judging anyone who is bothered by these things. I can completely sympathise with your point of view, and see that it must be very aggravating to be constantly having to pause play and edit 10 townies, and people should be able to play how they want to. And, as I said, Sims isn’t meant to be realistic (hello vampires and aliens!); it’s arguably odd of me to like that the townies are realistically flawed (though perhaps not quite so flawed as people irl!) but to still want supernaturals in my game.

I was curious about how widespread the dislike of ugly townies is, so I thought I’d make a poll.

Do ugly townies bother you? Do you find townies ugly? 401 votes

All/most townies are ugly. It really bothers me.
17%
SkewedReality04auroraael14alexspoom13Contessa_Clairemissmani09Sasquatch7auntmichelle9shellbemeAuroraBoreallisSageRainWillowSimQueenie9rosehrtgirlmock68Scarbo27JoAnne65PinkHairGuitarSk8rblazeChelleJoTreebrookeAlektrya 72 votes
All/most townie are ugly. It bothers me a bit.
14%
Isb917MeteoraStormStrangerthankerryemmiebethJadedJanealanmichael1Scorpina2009hunniboo1yuppTildeLtaydevgraventheFinvolaElenPinkDanmanNefariusbixtersironknight35annaliese39Sorak4AngelEb95 58 votes
All/most townies are ugly. It doesn’t bother me.
3%
julienrob2004IdontrcallGoldenBuffyMeela_PashtFlexono1SimmerMarsEvaliynEnkiSchmidtsamemieObsession101GodleyjeansCupidBrindletonJasonschick80nerdfashion 15 votes
Some townies are ugly. It really bothers me.
2%
asimbsimnolurkNivyxChelseadude182tadeoalonso2RexZhengpinneduphairItsJanierEvie0602PrincipleOfEntropysubhumandepthsalexlondon 12 votes
Some townies are ugly. It bothers me a bit.
17%
LaBlue0314UnDutchableHowGreatThouArttanakakiBeardedgeekAnmirlaMariefoxprice83hannaaj22stilljustme2Vulorikiara07drowssapMissFashionistapeterskywalkerfoxx_fennecchrissy123456789Zeldaboy180ThenyoukissmeParmaViolet87tnb494 69 votes
Some townies are ugly. It doesn’t bother me.
32%
Akl500PicmnfrshBluefairy286Kita5399GalacticGalIcewolfjeepjeepcatIceyJCrazyboutTheSimsAlexairudolphaGruffmanColorist40PoppyMonsteroveronMjstsmPPlayerSinger2010VibsemcruddBloosmoo 130 votes
Most townies are not ugly.
8%
bshag4lvtams2578SikoahGracepoemetragurlWritin_Regsimgirl1010liliaethsimsinmysleepiliekponiezEmmaVane3KNPenMaggieMarleyDoloresGreyKathykinsRedDestiny92Olivesplum06SheriSim57CementSimtown15RedShoe7 33 votes
Most townie are attractive. I like it.
1%
BlkBarbiegalBagoas77Sakuske1MoonCrossWarrior22CogshellAdelineRobbinsRouensims 7 votes
Most townies are attractive. I wish they had more imperfections.
1%
TheLibrarySimkeenowMondaySimTresaBeli 5 votes

Comments

• So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    "Acceptable" townies are few and far between in my experience, and it's mostly because of the random combinations of age, ethnicity, body type, hair color, and fashion sense. I'm talking about blue-haired elders in hot pants, crop tops, top hats, and clown shoes.

It's tedious having to "fix" them all the time, so yeah, it bothers me a bit.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited July 2018
    So_Money wrote: »
    I'm talking about blue-haired elders in hot pants, crop tops, top hats, and clown shoes.

Haha yeah that’s what I meant when I said the crazy outfits bother me a bit! But, quite apart from the outfits, I usually find that the sims themselves are acceptable and not ugly in my eyes, or even attractive. Sure, there are a few mingers ;) but it’s like that irl too so I don’t mind.
  • ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    I don't mind their 'natural' appearance, but the random selection of outfits make them so hideous looking. I usually have to go into CAS and tweak them.
    giphy.gif
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    So_Money wrote: »
    I'm talking about blue-haired elders in hot pants, crop tops, top hats, and clown shoes.

I usually find that the sims themselves are acceptable and not ugly in my eyes, or even attractive. Sure, there are a few mingers ;) but it’s like that irl too so I don’t mind.

Sometimes their faces are alright, but too often they share that round-faced, chin-less default look.
    I don't mind their 'natural' appearance, but the random selection of outfits make them so hideous looking. I usually have to go into CAS and tweak them.
    Yeah the outfits can be terrible, although I usually don’t bother altering them unless they are my sim’s friend/significant other. This poll was meant to be more about the appearance of the sims themselves (faces etc) not their clothes though - sorry for not being clear!
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    All/most townies are ugly. It doesn’t bother me.
    I do find them ugly, but the ugliness isn't a problem for me. It's mostly the outfits that they wear, the lack of diversity among them, and also that I don't necessarily feel like interacting with them compared to sims I've made and put into the world.

I prefer to fill the game with my own characters, is all. I'm currently using a mod that allows me to do just that; it stops the townies from generating and essentially allows me to create my own, and I'm really enjoying that.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited July 2018
    Majority of time I'm usually changing up the 'clownies' poor clothing choice and over accessorizing., since it's either terrible or it's always the same items. Much like the females reverting to the same CL long skirt and top (you know the one).

And usually changing that one awful pear shape body shape if I happen to see it. Usually my most hated body shape in game compared to anything else. I like different townies and don't mind if they're not attractive. Honestly, Sims 4 usually spawns a lot more better looking sims genetically compared to earlier games. Though there is that usual bout of ugliness here and there.

That and I get some of those CL names I might change or either change the sim appropriately for diversity sake if they look like they were gonna be mid-western or otherwise. There are those rare cases my game spawns some pretty attractive townies with good genetics that just baffle me.
    Neighborhood gardener
    8rPhVC4.png
    Gym trainer
    ohc1sHy.png
    Teen that was walking about in oasis springs
    54qfm5i.png

I always save them to the library so I can use them in game again
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Dellimaccas123Dellimaccas123 Posts: 94 Member
    some sims are just weird looking i try to avoid those sims :(
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    There are those rare cases my game spawns some pretty attractive townies with good genetics that just baffle me.
    Neighborhood gardener
    8rPhVC4.png
    Gym trainer
    ohc1sHy.png
    Teen that was walking about in oasis springs
    54qfm5i.png

I always save them to the library so I can use them in game again
    Those are some good looking sims :smile: I use MCCC and I have been surprised by how attractive some of the original townies’ kids turned out. For example, Vlad had a daughter with his human wife and (imo) she looks very unique and pretty - thankfully she did not inherit his nose!
  • poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    i do get some townies that are unattractive in terms of facial features or body frame, but i don't mind those.
    what does bother me is their hideous clothing/hair style choices. these are the only things i change* when i makeover townies (as well as the name). once i change those things i find that the majority of them are not ugly at all.
    as long as they are dressed cohesively like normal people i am ok with them existing and interacting with my sims. (not when they interrupt my sims tho, that's annoying regardless of what they look like)

*unless, they have that annoying overused pear shape. that's the only time i change their body.
    i mean this one, it's not a realistic shape:
    tumblr_p4o0ra2UfC1v707rto1_500.png
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    I think I'm with you on this one--I like the variety. For one thing, as you mentioned, it adds a certain "reality" if not every sim is perfectly perfect in appearance. For another, I think interesting looking sims are, well, interesting, and it can be really cool if I see a weird looking sim, but then my sim gets to know them and soon enough I've come to love their stupid face just cause the relationship with my sim has made them endearing! And lastly, I think it then makes it a little special when I encounter a really God Looking sim--if they all looked that way, I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much ;-P
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    It can bother me.. sometimes. I do tend to do my townie delete sweep in managed worlds based on if my townies have relationships with them, then looks and clothing choices because it's a bigger pain in the rump to go change them all.
    egTcBMc.png
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    Most townies are allright, some even attractive under the ridiculous clothes and accessories they wear. I tend to give them makeovers from time to time, give them a set of outfits that I think look good on them. Also hair and eyebrows/facial hair. The only change I'll make to their bodies or faces is that dreadful pear shape most of the guys have. And Paolo Rocca's chin.

I've actually found quite a few gems in the randomly-generated-townies pool.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I'm one of them who'd really like a toggle option for townie generation :/

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• keenowkeenow Posts: 549 Member
    Most townies are attractive. I wish they had more imperfections.
    I think the average sim is more attractive than your average human, but that's because they all sort of have a same-ish face with occasionally different eyes. (It's a game; I get it!) I wish the townies my game generated had some stronger features, like some of the more recent pre-mades. I mean, they don't have to go as far as Vlad, per se, but, for example, I really like the very distinctive features of brent and brant (that gay couple from brindelton bay).

Having townies with a strong jaw, or long nose would make playing with genetics a lot more fun. :blush:
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    The townies themselves are fine, it's their outfits that are generally hideous. Townies really ought to be banned from accessorising :D
  • tinacolada00tinacolada00 Posts: 409 Member
    I love that they look different but it’s the way
    They’re dressed. My goodness it’s too distracting. Lol
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    I find most townies ugly and ultimately look the same so after a few sim days I delete any that get generated. I have had a few who I keep cause I they actually look nice but mostly delete. I prefer to fill my game with premades and sims off the gallery as maxis/player created sims tend to look more unique and attractive.
  • ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    edited July 2018
    Yeah the outfits can be terrible, although I usually don’t bother altering them unless they are my sim’s friend/significant other. This poll was meant to be more about the appearance of the sims themselves (faces etc) not their clothes though - sorry for not being clear!

Oh my bad :) I see what you mean now. 'It bothers me a bit' only comes to clothing really. They're actually not that bad really. I find the mix quite realistic in regards to names, body shapes, skin colour etc. Not every Sim is drop dead gorgeous either. My Sim.actually married one of them :)
    giphy.gif
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I’m one of those people who edits most of the townies in my game, but I don’t mind this too much because sometimes I really like the makeover I gave to the townie, so I save the sim to my gallery if I ever decide to play with them at some point.
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I frankly don't care about randomly generated townies. It's the premades that I care about. Sometimes I give the townies makeovers but only if I tend to see them alot.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• FeisbukaiteFeisbukaite Posts: 703 Member
    edited July 2018
    I marry my sims to townies if there is no available sim in my rotation game. Lady in my avatar is townie. Her face is perfect, I only gave her makeup and new hair style. I like her figure very much. My own sims usually grow up too skinny. The only thing bothers me is weird clothes on townies.I also edit men figures if they have narrow shoulders and wide hips. It looks unnatural to me.
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    I don't think they're ugly or attractive, really.
    I just think that I've played my save far too long so every RNG townie looks exactly like "so-and-so from X generations ago." I usually make it a habit to CAS freshly generated townies or delete them altogether because I'm a stickler for genetics, and that I want my townies to actually look like their own person rather than a clone... Though "clones" I'm sort of okay with if they're related lmao.
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    I'm sure I've noticed townies with off features but the way I play I hardly notice them at all, doesn't effect me one bit though I have seen some pretty good looking ones looking for collectibles. Usually, I would collect them too in that case. :)
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png