Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Winter Massacre

Comments

• Euripides67Euripides67 Posts: 55 Member
    edited June 2018
    I stopped playing. Yesterday my sims died like no tomorrow. Some of them died for the third time. I'm done with deaths.

You mentioned before that you run your game with mods. Any chance you could give us a list of what mods you are running? You have more deaths than most posters, and certainly more than players on vanilla, so it really does seem mod related to me. The emotion related deaths I have only seen myself when running certain mods that heighten emotions.

Some people with high death numbers aren't taking into account the chain reaction effect of sims dying from witnessing the death of another sim. I am guessing your count is actual single sims dying and not including the fallout from another sim dying? It's no good saying 20 people died if only 1 actually died and the rest all got sucked into a spiral of death from witnessing other deaths in the cold. I agree that THAT is a bug which needs fixing. The isolated deaths due to bad luck is an important addition with seasons, dying because of watching a death shouldn't be!

Is LittleMsSam's Weather NPC Deaths not helping? (http://littlemssam.de/random-bug-fixes/) What about RevyRei's No Temperature Deaths (http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=614115) at modthesims? If you're already running mods another mod or two to counteract the effect may be all you need to stop this from happening.

My last question is, when you add/remove/update mods, do you *always* delete your localthumbcache.package? I find a lot of people having strange things happen ingame/mods not working as intended have neglected this crucial step or don't know to do it. I am just trying to help. Source: https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/delete-cache-files/
  • iliekponieziliekponiez Posts: 455 Member
    edited June 2018
    I noticed that your sims can't jog during a blizzard. Using Dr. June's weather machine, you can set the winter forecast to snowy. Doing so can create a ongoing blizzard. Could help save some sims! :)

...Or maybe not. Marcus Flex just went out in a blizzard wearing his athletic wear anyway. :|
    Post edited by iliekponiez on
  • FosoSamFosoSam Posts: 637 Member
    I have a vanilla game, and tried intentionally getting this to happen multiple times by stalling gym goers outside multiple gyms during freezing weather and blizzards

I can get one person to freeze by stalling them for hours after they turn blue, but there's no knock-on effect
    The other Sims simply don't stay out in the cold long enough, usually they don't even turn blue after watching the reaper and then mourning for a little while.

I can imagine how it could happen. But it feels like the amount of time it takes Sims to freeze coupled with NPC free will makes it an unlikely hilariously freak occurrence.

Either way, it's simple to fix. Just get Sims to spin into warm clothes if they are going outside and it's cold, even in 'emergency' situations.

Regarding joggers: most of the joggers I've seen have been wearing their warm clothing rather than their athletic wear. I have seen one or two in athletic wear out and about with blue skin (perhaps the temperature changed after they spawned), but (again) it seems the amount of time it takes Sims to like actually freeze to death makes it unlikely to occur

Honestly, I'm kind of disappointed. I love myself some hilarious emergent chain reactions.
    q6goV2s.png
    Officially blocked by @SimsVIP on Twitter!
  • parbopostcardsparbopostcards Posts: 78 Member
    I had a bunch of sims freeze to death while my main sim was at the Gym. :/
    I had to exit and not save otherwise I would have lost some of my fav sims.
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    I'm doing a test save now, no mods or CC. A few joggers turned blue, but vanished before anything worse happened. At least one other went jogging in his winter wear & another was jogging in some random outfit that looked more like party wear than athletic, and seemed unaffected by the cold. (I'd created that sim, so I knew it wasn't her regular athletic outfit). My own sim autonomously went out in his every day wear to shovel snow, and I got the freezing to death warning, but he ran back inside and was fine after that, but has also gotten several cold moodlets while he was inside. I'll play out the rest of the sim week just to be sure, but I think it's safe to play my regular save.

On a side note, I found it interesting that those in formal, party or festival wear didn't seem affected by the cold. I'm also slightly disappointed that there wasn't a massacre. (I'm fine with tormenting sims in my throwaway saves, it's only in my main saves that I care about their safety)
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    ldmarko wrote: »
    I'm doing a test save now, no mods or CC. A few joggers turned blue, but vanished before anything worse happened. At least one other went jogging in his winter wear & another was jogging in some random outfit that looked more like party wear than athletic, and seemed unaffected by the cold. (I'd created that sim, so I knew it wasn't her regular athletic outfit). My own sim autonomously went out in his every day wear to shovel snow, and I got the freezing to death warning, but he ran back inside and was fine after that, but has also gotten several cold moodlets while he was inside. I'll play out the rest of the sim week just to be sure, but I think it's safe to play my regular save.

On a side note, I found it interesting that those in formal, party or festival wear didn't seem affected by the cold. I'm also slightly disappointed that there wasn't a massacre. (I'm fine with tormenting sims in my throwaway saves, it's only in my main saves that I care about their safety)

I had these same results in a vanilla game. I had several walk by sims in scout uniforms, in addition to mail carriers & pizza delivery people who seemed unaffected by severely freezing temps. I am convinced it's mod related somehow.
  • FeisbukaiteFeisbukaite Posts: 703 Member
    I stopped playing. Yesterday my sims died like no tomorrow. Some of them died for the third time. I'm done with deaths.

You mentioned before that you run your game with mods. Any chance you could give us a list of what mods you are running? You have more deaths than most posters, and certainly more than players on vanilla, so it really does seem mod related to me. The emotion related deaths I have only seen myself when running certain mods that heighten emotions.

Some people with high death numbers aren't taking into account the chain reaction effect of sims dying from witnessing the death of another sim. I am guessing your count is actual single sims dying and not including the fallout from another sim dying? It's no good saying 20 people died if only 1 actually died and the rest all got plum into a spiral of death from witnessing other deaths in the cold. I agree that THAT is a bug which needs fixing. The isolated deaths due to bad luck is an important addition with seasons, dying because of watching a death shouldn't be!

Is LittleMsSam's Weather NPC Deaths not helping? (http://littlemssam.de/random-bug-fixes/) What about RevyRei's No Temperature Deaths (http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=614115) at modthesims? If you're already running mods another mod or two to counteract the effect may be all you need to stop this from happening.

My last question is, when you add/remove/update mods, do you *always* delete your localthumbcache.package? I find a lot of people having strange things happen ingame/mods not working as intended have neglected this crucial step or don't know to do it. I am just trying to help. Source: https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/delete-cache-files/

My mods: quick shower, mccc, no ask advice, miscarriage, more away actions, personality please, kids can walk a dog, faster homework, social activities, parenting skill for teens.
    LittleMsSam's Death fix mod is not working, I'm playing with it installed right now, one of the sims is dying fourth time right now and another is going to die soon, he is freezing at the moment.

Yes, I delete localthumbcache.package after every game sesion.

Thank you for trying to help me.

• AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    edited July 2018
    This just happened in my game. My sim went to the gym. I saw Geoffrey Landgraab was behind the gym shoveling snow but before my sim could get to him to ask to 'see outfit' to get him to change into winter wear or try to get him inside - he froze to death. All the sims ran out in their gym clothes - some did put coats on though - my sim could not interact with any of them to get them to change clothes because everyone was mourning. 7 froze - Geoffrey Landgrabb, Nancy Landgrabb (Malcolm is an orphan now!), Darling Walsh, Don Lothario, Brant Hecking, Bjorn Bjergsen, and a random NPC. My sim pleaded with Grim for each one but none of them were friends so Grim was not having it and reaped them all! Grim likely has a big bonus coming! Oddly enough, Marcus Flex who was already blue when he witnessed the 1st death and was there through all the deaths never did freeze to death - he is the only one that was in gym wear that survived.

Entertaining as it was - I think it is a bit ridiculous how fast sims freeze to death (none of the worlds are Siberia!) and this certainly seems like a major oversight that sims in their gym clothes will freeze to death in a matter of minutes. I am not currently playing a rotation but if I was, I would not be happy if this happened to some of my sims that I was not playing at the time.
  • FeisbukaiteFeisbukaite Posts: 703 Member
    I've yet to see if it helped, but I gave all sims from my rotation cold resistant trait. Once I reach winter again I'll report the results. So far no deaths from the heat ( none of my sims ever died from overheating , but I gave them that trait just in case too).
  • TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    edited July 2018
    I have never used any mods in TS4. I bought Seasons a couple weeks ago or so, and have been testing it out on a savegame I had only played for a couple weeks back in May 2016. Today I experienced a winter massacre.

Couple odd things I noticed before that happened: a large number of NPCs who'd been human the last time I'd played the game were suddenly all showing up as undisguised aliens. I've never seen so many aliens in any of my other savegames, and I don't know why they suddenly all showed up undisguised. I'm not investigating all my other savegames until the massacres are fixed, so I don't know if the alien-issue is an issue in all of 'em or not.

Second odd thing is that my doors no longer lock. I get the lock options, and I lock the doors, but every sim in the world can waltz through my played-sims' house in spite of the locks. The vampires feed on my main sim about every other night.

As to the massacre: I'm playing a merry-widow/gold-digger sim. I sent her newlywed husband to the gym in Willow Creek, quickly put in a pool in the back, and sent him skinnydipping so he could freeze to death. He eventually exited against my wishes, clothed himself against my wishes, and went out back to mourn Don Lothario, who had turned into a popsicle without my noticing. Large crowds of sims gathered around, mourners froze to death (including my sim), you know the drill. I brought another of my household sims to the lot (y'know, click on their pic & bring them there), put him in his winter clothes, and tried to rescue the in-world npcs. Weird stuff started happening when I tried to stop the die-off.

Geoffrey Landgraab was in his jogging clothes, and blue-skinned. I repeatedly commanded my sim to ask Geoff to show off his winter outfit, but the game wiped my command out of existence & sent my sim through the back gate, put him into his swimsuit, and sat him on the edge of the pool about to go in. All this was contrary to my own inputs for that sim. I managed, each time, to get him to put his winter clothes back on, but the only way I could keep him IN the clothes was to teleport him away from the pool. I'd then try to get Geoff, or Dina Caliente, or some of the other sims into their winter clothing so they wouldn't freeze, and the game would take control of my sim away from me, every time, and send him back to strip by the pool.

I did manage to save most (but not all) the npcs by pleading with Grim and giving him death flowers (my sim's a master gardener & well-supplied), but asking the other sims to show me their winter outfits usually (but not always) sent my sim to the edge of the pool.

My guess is that interfering with the mourning &/or witnessing deaths &/or witnessing resurrections was part of the problem.

Either that, or EA programmers are evil. >:)

My sim, btw, is a master athlete & has the long-lived trait, & that's probably part of the reason he kept trying to go swimming. Maybe? He's not that insistent on exercising under ordinary circumstances.

It was pretty wild, though, keeping him from committing swimmicide. (Yes, yes, pun intended. Simmicide + swim.) ;)

ETA: @AprilDawn: " Geoffrey Landgrabb, Nancy Landgrabb,... Darling Walsh, Don Lothario, Brant Hecking, Bjorn Bjergsen"--these were all present today behind the gym, & most of 'em froze. My sim was able to rescue Geoffrey & Brant from Grim; Nancy was in her winter clothes, Darling did not turn blue, and the last I remember of Bjorn was his frozen popsicle. I simply can't remember if my sim managed to rescue him from Grim or not. He also got Eliza Pancakes resurrected. A personal relationship with Grim and a lot of death flowers are quite a help!
    @Tiarella My sim was not a gardener (his father is) but none have death flowers :(
    My pleading did not help at all - probably because my sim did not really know ant of them well. I also could not get them to change their clothes - did not get the teleporting like you did but guess all the mourning would not let my sim do it. Glad you got to save some of them! Weird - seems like the same sims I had except Eliza Pancakes- must be the ones pegged to go to places when your own sim does.

The whole ordeal sort of added some flavor to my game though - I was really just playing a family trying out seasons. Since this happened - my sim gathered up all the urns and delivered them to the homes they belong to like the police bringing the bad news! Malcolm is an orphan and I have started playing that out - poor dude - the next day was Winterfest and he was all alone - but he had fun beating up Father Winter for presents (he has the evil trait)! Brant keeps going to the wishing well wishing to live again but the wishing well is mean so he is still a ghosty! Some weird glitch with him - he froze to death and acts like a ghost that froze to death - always shivering - but in his traits it says he died by fire! Odd too - the sims that actually lost someone close were not sad at all but all my sims that barely even knew the sims that died were sad for days. Granted - the sims that lost people did not actually witness the deaths but I think this is so stupid.
    edited July 2018
    @AprilDawn: Your cheerful use of your simworld's natural disaster, working it into your story, is encouraging/inspiring! And thanks for the tip about played ghosts asking the wishing well for their lives back--I didn't know they could do that! Seems more fun than making ambrosia/using a lifebook.

I so wish I'd thought to capture a video of my game's winter massacre (esp. my sim being forced to edge of the pool & stripping), or pictures at least. I was completely concentrated on trying to rescue sims, & didn't think about reporting it here until afterwards.

For those who think it takes mods, or player action, to start a massacre, that was not the case in my game. Don Lothario keeled over all on his own; I didn't even know he'd died until my destined-for-death newlywed sim climbed out of the pool on his own and went to mourn, and the massacre began.

I don't use mods, but I do use testingcheats, including the unofficial ones TwistedMexi found. Could the massacres occur more often in games exposed to testingcheats? We know they nerfed the cheats; maybe that's one of the reasons why?

(edited to remove a bolding error)
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    @Tiarella Are you CC free as well as mod free?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    @luthienrising: yes, cc-free and mod-free, both, but I do use the official and unofficial testing cheats (and already miss the ones they've removed!)
    @Tiarella I forgot one of the best parts - when my sim left (was walking down the street) - Grim was floating around circling the gym! He knows that is where it all happens!

I finally got Don back as a playable ghost but the poor Caliente ladies had to celebrate Love Day while he was still in his urn! Don is up and running - woohooed Nina already. Nina got the moodlet and notification that she was freezing to death right after (in summer in Oasis Springs) - I guess woohoo with a cold sim gets one a bit frosty! I quick added a thermostat and put the heat on and then she was freezing and sweltering at the same time. This game is so glithy - oy. I put her in the bathtub and turned the heat off and she seems to have survived the whole ordeal. I don't recall Brent freezing after woohoo with Brant though nor Clara with Bjorn (Bjorn is now a playable ghost too). Sims that die by freezing to death do have a special interaction to be able to cool down other sims so it may be related to that.

An odd thing too - none of the sims (except Malcolm) knew the sims that died anymore even though they were family or lived in their home (they were not in their relationship panels). I had to reacquaint all the ghosts with their family/friends.

Yes, ghosts can wish for life again at the wishing well. I rarely use it though so I forgot how mean it is - Brant threw $1000 in that well and it acted like that was great and would grant the wish - but nope. I think it is like those scams and there is an evil gnome at the bottom of that well taking all the desperate sims money!

I do have pictures but it is a hassle putting pictures on this forum - they look like the other pictures in this thread - urns, frozen sim bodies, Grim, and mourners!

I don't think this is mod related either (I only have the Tmex-AllCheats, because you can hardly play this glithy game without reset object, and the nomosaic). I think this happens at gyms especially - sims freeze way too fast so if one sim outside a gym dies - the others rush out in their workout outfits to 'see whats happening' and get caught up in mourning and then freeze to death themselves.
  • IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    edited July 2018
    Yesterday I had 5 deaths at the gym. Geoffrey Landgraab was the first to go. I don't know what he was doing because I was up in the locker room chatting with other sims. A bunch of people came out in workout gear. A guy I didn't know (who was alien) died next, the Don Lothario, a random townie female, and finally Eliza Pancakes. These people had been working out in gym and came out in their workout gear. The ones who were in winter wear were fine.

I don't use mods or cc and I haven't used testing cheats. Totally plain vanilla.

The deaths did not bother me except for Eliza a little. I tried to get her to show me her winter outfit, but it was too late. My request wasn't received.

The deaths were boom, boom, boom one quickly right after the next.
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • SjofnSjofn Posts: 332 Member
    So I have the mod that makes workout clothes count for cold weather. Good, right? Everyone should be relatively safe.

Except no, occasionally a townie decides to strut through my neighborhood in their party outfit, and die that way instead:

pccjrlq.jpg

LBoJiml.jpg

Sigh!
    @Sjofn Smarter sims! (eyes roll)

There is a mod now that makes workout wear weather proof? Must have missed that info. Is it on Mod the Sims?
    @AprilDawn: Grim did something similar in my game: he eventually left the pack of dying and grieving sims (even though he wasn't finished resurrecting and reaping), floated down the alley between the buildings, and then stopped just before reaching the street. He stood there, heaved a huge sigh (oh this is so unbearable! Why me?! Why me?!), and trudged slowly back to re-commence reaping and resurrecting.

Difficult to believe this is all a bug, and not a feature!

It does seem like the fitness buffs in Willow Creek may be the ones must vulnerable to Winter Massacres. A number of us are reporting the same sims being frozen to death. Of course, there are a finite number of in-world npcs in the game, & I'm no probability expert, but we're seeing Don Lothario, Eliza Pancakes, Brant Hecking, etc., repeatedly named.

Loved hearing about the consequences to woohooing a popsicle-ghost! :D

@Idontrcall: thx for letting us know it's not a testingcheats issue, either!
    @tiarella Hahaha! Grim probably thought about going down the street to the bar to get a drink - he needs it for these big jobs! Hope he gets a promotion!

I think some sims are just programed to arrive at a venue when your sim(s) go there because you tend to see the same ones over and over. MCCC has a function to vary the sims that arrive at venues but I am not using MCCC right now. And I do imagine any sim with the active trait has a major disadvantage in the winter because they visit gyms and jog a lot.

Got to do some more experimenting with the popsicle-ghost woohoo! Kind of a cool feature (pun intended!).

I just moved Johnny Zest in with Malcolm (his cast out brother, so the story goes) to be his caregiver and he is not happy about that, though he does have someone to be evil to on a regular basis now!

@Idontrcall Yes, thank you for letting us know it happened the same way in a purely vanilla game and not using cheats.
  • knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    I posted this over in answers HQ, but if a sim gets abducted by aliens during freezing temperatures or during blizzard it’s instant death from freezing on return.
    @knazzer Oh wow! Thanks for letting us know - have only had one abduction since seasons and do not think it was in winter. Guess scientists need to fear winter too then!
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I just had a couple get married and they were all in formal wear. Well, I guess a heatwave was going on because the next thing I know is little Beau is dying in his formal clothes. The groom pleads for him and the grim reaper decides to let the little boy live but the next thing I know is Ariella (a neighbor friend) has also died and then another. I then am hurrying around trying to change all their clothes to summer wear so no one else dies and have my sim try and plead for them but it was unsuccessful. :( I guess there can be summer massacres too. Lesson learned don't have weddings outside in summer or at least during a heatwave. Their poor friends.
    gIunLcB.jpg
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
    @auroraael14 OMG! That is sad :(
    I am glad Grim spared the little boy and you were able to save your sims.
    I wondered if the same thing happens during the heatwaves - really think they need to tweak this all a bit.
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    What's really sad is that the twins in my profile picture no longer have a mom (Ariella) because she died. I thought about quitting and not saving but I couldn't remember the last time I had saved. :(
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24