Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Little details I miss in the rain in The Sims 4 Seasons

2...Next

Comments

• celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    edited July 2018
    Fortunately I've played all previous versions of The Sims, including The Sims 2 and The Sims 3, and I'm aware of the various details present in this game, and I can use this as a measure to compare and also make complaints, be it about small details that for me (and many others) make a difference, or greater things.

I think this way: it does not matter if the engine is different. You can not use this as an excuse to justify anything that is missing in the game all the time. Some have done this relentlessly since when the game was released to try to defend what is not defensible.

There are many things in The Sims 4 that have been added over time due to players' complaints, which are based largely on their previous experiences with The Sims 2 or The Sims 3.

There is absolutely nothing artificial about wanting the game to have better features or details, especially when you really believe it could be better, as is the question of the impact of rain on the ground, which with a small effect, would already be resolved.
    tenor.gif
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    If only I could work there and add all us as simmer want...
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited July 2018
    In the case of weather, comparing it to previous versions is neither here nor there. If it doesn't look right then it doesn't look right.

We can all see out of our windows what the weather should be like. And if it isn't done properly then people are going to be unhappy with it.

I was about to say the same thing.

It isn't about making a "carbon copy" of previous games. It's about creating a convincing representation of the weather that we see in our lives, year after year. When certain effects are missing, the illusion is broken -- even if the player can't quite put their finger on why.

I know that immersion is a word that players pull out a lot these days. However, it still has merit. When something feels...right...it makes a world of difference. TS4 weather hasn't accomplished that for me. It provides a much needed change in scenery, which is appreciated. Still, the sense of believable rain or snow just isn't there for me.

Some might say that realistic effects aren't necessary for TS4's more cartoon-ish art style. However, the cartoon quality of the game makes convincing weather all the more important to keep me feeling grounded and connected. I dislike the continuous sensation that something is wrong.

Analogy: I have been able to grow used to TS4's cartoon art style because the Sims have the best proportions and realistic body types of the entire series. However, if the Sims had been walking around looking like Bratz dolls, I would have never gotten used to it. I couldn't, because it would feel wrong. It's the same thing with TS4's versions of rain and snow. They feel wrong. Every time I watch a video of a Sim throwing themselves down onto the cement/grass that has barely a dusting of snow, it feels wrong. All of the static puddles feel wrong.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Honey_Pie_360Honey_Pie_360 Posts: 240 Member
    JimG72 wrote: »

Well it's kinda like when you're buying something with your money I.e phone..car...etc..and you're checking to see if it has everything you know it should have and everything the manufacturers also claim it has and you're checking to see if everything is present and working fine especially if you've had or used an older or previous version of the thing. So yeah it's only natural to notice these flaws

Except when new versions of phones, cars, etc. are released, they aren't just carbon copies of the old versions. Many of the same features and design will usually be there...but some things will be gone...and some things will be added...and some things will be changed and function a little differently or have a slightly different appearance.

I don't really get why some people think that something should automatically be the same way in Sims 4 that it was in Sims 2 or 3....it's a new game with a new game engine. Saying the game "should" have certain things is a matter of opinion. Thankfully, I only played Sims 2 for about a week or two and never played Sims 3 so I don't get caught up in comparing every aspect and detail of Sims 4 to its predecessors....I'm able to just play Sims 4 for what it is and enjoy it without bringing into it any artificial expectations from past versions of the game.

Yeah but it doesn't mean you wouldn't 'notice' these changes or absences. It can either give you a positive, neutral, or negative buff IRL, which of course you have every right to feel. That's the point here.
  • gabbyistomkimgabbyistomkim Posts: 21 Member
    It still amazing me that The Sims 2, a 14 year old game, had that much detail. A lot of love was put into it.
  • PlumDiddyPlumDiddy Posts: 551 Member
    Maybe rain splashes in puddles can be patched in at some point since on TS4 Seasons home screen, the Spring gif of the sim holding the toddler is standing in a puddle of water while its raining and you can clearly see water splashing in it.
    Tbh the rain hitting the ground doesn't bother me in game. i dont even notice it. But maybe it can be fixed for those who are really distracted by it
  • celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    I really would like. Unfortunately as it stands, I have not felt the rain as something of real impact on the world.
    tenor.gif
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited July 2018
    You’re right, I was disappointed in this (and also the lack of snow depth) and I wish they would fix it - I guess they didn’t think people noticed or appreciated it TS3. Having said that, I do appreciate the attention to detail in lightning strikes. Overall I do prefer TS4 seasons over TS3. This is purely because I prefer the holidays and traditions, and ability to make your own holidays.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Member
    edited August 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • JayTheGingerHamsterJayTheGingerHamster Posts: 33 Member
    I think that these little touches would make the game better, but it is still an amazing game anyway
  • VulnnVulnn Posts: 131 Member
    edited April 2019
    Bringing this back to the surface, I feel like it should be addressed in a way cause this has been bothering me since release and it would be nice to get a responds on why water droplets don't appear on the ground or the puddles as they do in the body of water around neighborhoods. Kinda wish this could be patched in but I'm not holding my breath, Apart from that I do miss the little details of the water running down the roof and the droplets dripping off the roof like Sims 3. :'(

I also miss the snow depth so much and I miss when icicles would form themselves on roofs apart from me having to fake it and use the decorations!
  • LunarBritneyLunarBritney Posts: 41 Member
    For me, Season was supposed to be the best EP for The Sims 4. It was supposed to be not only full of activities, but also visually pleasing. This wannabe Seasons pack is literally the opposite:

Rain looks like sticks falling through the ground, puddles dissapear before the sticks even stop, leaves turn this pukish brown/green color before even dissapearing off of trees, the lot leaf terrain texture is disgustingly ugly even though when you look outside the lot, you'll see beautiful small leaves on the roads and such.

The snow is just white paint with sparkles and those ugly snow piles are just hideous!
    The activities are literally just a tree you can decorate, a kiddie pool, swings (not even in the base game) and a flower arrangement table.

When it's spring, you need to basically wait until summer so the plants aren't looking dead, but for some reasons the trees are fully grown in the middle of spring...

If only people seeing these issues with packs, we wouldn't be getting such garbage. But since the most vocal people are the ones who are all about "it's not important to me", "be grateful" and such, we're going to keep getting watered down packs.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    This is something I also notice when it rains, the lack of rain drops hitting the ground makes the rain seem flat in a way. But yes, I still very much love the pack.
  • EvsSimsEvsSims Posts: 39 Member
    Wow. I never noticed how good it looked in Sims 2 and how bad it looks in Sims 4. I was just happy to have Seasons. I won't be able to unsee this..!
  • SimsterLivSimsterLiv Posts: 92 Member
    i guess a few little animations wouldnt hurt but i think I love seasons so much that it doesnt bother me too much hehe
  • queenvortex808queenvortex808 Posts: 1,033 Member
    I looked and thought there was something wrong! It doesn't bother me as much though.
    I play on PS4! Otaku here! From the lands of Canada 🇨🇦
    Haha, you clicked, now you have to read all my Sword Art Online fan fiction!