Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Kitchen and Dinning Room Setup secrets... ❣

Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
edited July 2018 in The Sims 2
Hi :mrgreen:

I've been reading about Players having trouble getting their Sims to eat in the right area... not put stuff in the bathroom or serve food outside. So, iirc, I learned this all back in them there old BBS days.

I made the Tester family to help show how to set up eating areas for Sims 2. They are mostly logical in their choices (kinda). :)

1. The Testers.
Hk8fJVG.jpg
Built a house.
RR4QA8g.jpg

2. Sent Manny to school and Alan to look for a job.
3XZNFIo.jpg

3. I did mess up with the layout but that's how I learn. :)
VEyG16t.jpg

4. There are 3 eating areas for them to choose. Breakfast area in the Kitchen, a dinning area, and the outside.
VrLyttJ.jpg

5. Alan got a job and I told him to stand there. I made them all hungry... what will he do?
i6umWVj.jpg

6. Why he chooses to sit down and wait to be served. Cool!
wjNXfUJ.jpg

7. Jill does serve him... now, what happens with little one sitting in the high chair (How quickly I forget their names :( )?
Why she gets served, too. (this is my mistake. I put the high chair close to a counter in the kitchen. Not the best place...)
SMN0cjP.jpg

8. Because Sims go to the nearest counter (even if it's in another room) Jill puts the tray in the Kitchen and will eat in the kitchen all alone.
MH5qgxA.jpg

9. Now it's clean up and move time so I can do it right.
pfrYLz1.jpg

10. By moving the high chair near the dinning area's open counter the servings are set there and they all eat together. :)
quDl0zT.jpg

SFXcqEM.jpg

11. Want a Sim to eat in the Kitchen? Then have an open counter near where they can fix their cold meal; such as cereal, salad, or sandwich.
One open counter near the breakfast nook-
nDt244w.jpg

gUDWMLb.jpg

TayNt5a.jpg

12. Or get leftovers. :)
5yrDkEK.jpg
Same goes for coffee and espresso. Where do you want them to drink it? :)

13. Other layout ideas which show the same concept (some old builds :lol: )
7V7VqLd.jpg

aoUgnaX.jpg

Think about where you want them to eat when choosing their meals (or to serve meals)- near the stove for dinning room (hot food) or cold in the breakfast area (or leftovers/microwave meals). :)

Hope it helps! :cookie:

Comments

• BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    This was really helpful to read, thank you for this :)
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Great! Thanks for commenting. @Brindleton :mrgreen:
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @Rflong7

That was really interesting thank you.. I love the kitchen seating area with great windows for outdoor views.. I often like my sims to sit outdoors and eat together in summer so for example if I put a door where those windows are to an outside area with tables would that be considered close enough for sims to auto go out to eat at that table if there was an open top counter close enough or would the door in-between the table outdoors and the kitchen area change the dynamics you describe?
    Rflong7

That was really interesting thank you.. I love the kitchen seating area with great windows for outdoor views.. I often like my sims to sit outdoors and eat together in summer so for example if I put a door where those windows are to an outside area with tables would that be considered close enough for sims to auto go out to eat at that table if there was an open top counter close enough or would the door in-between the table outdoors and the kitchen area change the dynamics you describe?

Hi :)
    Sure~ If you want them to eat outside and not having a breakfast nook area- add doors and just move the oven (if it's a hot meal) or leave that open counter for a cold meal. That should make the outdoor eating area closer than the dinning room.
    Make sure to have enough chairs for everyone and an outside counter for them all to eat together. :)

1. I moved the table and put in doors (no table in kitchen)
    uGD7Thy.jpg

2. The table outside in now closer for cold food serving (outside BBQ will be served outside if there's table and chairs).
    She has the toddler home but she's inside playing but Sims serve everyone- including tots.
    LfKW8lg.jpg

3. But she takes the food back in...Yet, as long as the outside chairs are closer, she'll take her serving outside to eat
    7erEB0l.jpg

5. I moved the BBQ counters closer but it wasn't close enough
    xjzfIzG.jpg

6. Yet she still takes her food outside. :) (as long as there are enough seats for everyone to be served and them take their plate. I believe there are 6 serving of a group meal, I have a mod for 8 though)
    eO9p6qJ.jpg
    @Rflong7

Thanks for testing that I never realized it depended on various counters and chair positioning as I could never understand why my sims would always eat at the outdoor table when having a barbecue but not going outside to eat after preparing other normal foods in the house because I thought my outdoor chairs were close enough to the house for them to select eating outdoors but never thought the placement of counters having any effect on this so next time I am in game I am going to test this thoroughly.. :)
    Cool! @SPARKY1922 You can share pictures of your testing, if you want. :)
    @Rflong7

I will do following some of your examples above :)
  • Deedee_DaydreamDeedee_Daydream Posts: 10 New Member
    Excellent presentation! You explained it perfectly and the pics illustrate the points beautifully, well done you! LOVED IT <3
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Awesome! B)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • GrandmaJaneyGrandmaJaney Posts: 33 Member
    Dear Rflong7,
    Thank you so much for making this. It was most helpful to read.

Grandma janey
    Thanks! @GrandmaJaney :mrgreen:
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Rflong you are awesome. :)
    @JULES1111 wrote: »

Thanks! What~ No cookie? (Big Grin anyway!) :mrgreen:
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    @JULES1111 wrote: »

Thanks! What~ No cookie? (Big Grin anyway!) :mrgreen:

:o:o What was I thinking!! :cookie::cookie::cookie:
  • simsterlyrocksimsterlyrock Posts: 28 Member
    This is super helpful! I always wondered why my Sims would take their food into the bathroom to prepare it, or put the extras on the bathroom counter instead of the kitchen. So thank you!
  • BittersweetBittersweet Posts: 23 Member
    edited August 2018
    Since I just installed Sims 2 UC last week, I'm having to catch up and re-learn some things. Thanks for the detailed information with pictures; this will come in handy.
    Post edited by Bittersweet on
    Thanks~ I'm so glad you all found it useful. :mrgreen: