Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Controls too difficult to play

I had a friend of mine buy Sims 4 on Xbox, she loved seeing the stuff I posted on Facebook and since she doesn't have a computer she bought it on console. She (and many others I've talked to) said that the controls are so hard to use for the console versions that she can't even really play it. She was pretty upset since she spent so much money on a game that she can't play. She mainly builds and said it was frustrating to try to build with the controller. She was wondering if there were plans to make the game more playable, a different set up for the differences between playing on a computer with a mouse and keyboard vs. with a console's controller.

Comments

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    There was some supposedly leaked news about a mouse and keyboard for Xbox l which was reported here
    http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/21/xbox-one-keyboard-mouse-support-plans-leaked-7177783/

It probably is fake news or wishful thinking though as it has been deleted. There are claims of keyboards/mice combinations but these cost.

I think that there may be one for the xbox 1x eventually from what I have read on other sites. If so I could see Sims5 becoming available on that as there would be Terraflops available and it would be years for PCs to emulate that.
  • bad1788bad1788 Posts: 42 Member
    PS4 supports keyboard and mouse, this seems like a great thing to patch in to me.
  • JampuppyJampuppy Posts: 5 New Member
    > @Jenna2376 said:
    > I had a friend of mine buy Sims 4 on Xbox, she loved seeing the stuff I posted on Facebook and since she doesn't have a computer she bought it on console. She (and many others I've talked to) said that the controls are so hard to use for the console versions that she can't even really play it. She was pretty upset since she spent so much money on a game that she can't play. She mainly builds and said it was frustrating to try to build with the controller. She was wondering if there were plans to make the game more playable, a different set up for the differences between playing on a computer with a mouse and keyboard vs. with a console's controller.

I am in the same position. I stopped playing about 2 months ago. And it seems no one at EA is paying attention.
  • SipopSipop Posts: 166 Member
    I think it just takes time to get use to IMO.
    I was also in this boat when first playing but adjusted the more I played.
    But I do think keyboard support would be awesome especially for using cheats! It's a pain to do.
    [
    Gamers are being worried about mouse and keyboard players getting advantages in their games, as the mouse gives more accuracy. They don't want the addition but the game builders could have the option to make them opt out it couldn't they? All I can say is that I might buy the Sims 4 game and the X box One x if mouse and keyboard use were added. I bought the original X box for Sims games but rarely used it after.

It would add a whole new perspective for game developers, especially as Microsoft want to make games crossover between platforms. Think of the Sims 3, 4 or even 5 with the Terabytes that X box One x can offer! It could also give other firms ideas about producing their own Sim type games and not the constant battling and killing we get now on current platforms.
    edited April 2018
    Deleted. Double post. :#
    Post edited by Simburian on
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    Since I have never played any sims game on PC, I can't compare the controls to mouse and keyboard...always played on PS and/or xbox.
    I read a lot people "whining" about the controls on console and yes, it took me a bit longer getting used to them too and sometimes they're still wonky, but all in all they're ok and I was always able to achieve what I wanted.

Honestly, I am not worried about the PC-Gamers getting advantages because of mouse and keyboard, I am used to a controller and would probly need a longer time getting used to the mouse+keyboard, than it took me to get used to the sims 4 controls on XB1.

I only miss a keyboard when I have to write something (like in search or name a song/book/sim etc.) ;)

I will say though, their is some kind of bug where the controls go haywire after a longer time played, so I have to fully close the game and restart it to work again...that's the only really bad thing and I hope they fix it.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited May 2018
    Simburian wrote: »
    Gamers are being worried about mouse and keyboard players getting advantages in their games, as the mouse gives more accuracy. They don't want the addition but the game builders could have the option to make them opt out it couldn't they? All I can say is that I might buy the Sims 4 game and the X box One x if mouse and keyboard use were added. I bought the original X box for Sims games but rarely used it after.

It would add a whole new perspective for game developers, especially as Microsoft want to make games crossover between platforms. Think of the Sims 3, 4 or even 5 with the Terabytes that X box One x can offer! It could also give other firms ideas about producing their own Sim type games and not the constant battling and killing we get now on current platforms.

I do not give a hoot about gamers looking at what gives advantages, looking at Sims 4 there should be no talk about advantages when Sims series does not fit the mode of what is offered on PC in other genres outside of the SIms.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • ericadownerxoericadownerxo Posts: 10 New Member
    Hi, I was told to post here by an EA advisor, he made notes on his end but said to post here for the sims team as well. I've been a long supporter of sims since 2000. I recently have bought more expansion packs for sims 4 PC but my computer/2 different laptops cannot handle it and crashes which is fine, I know I need higher SPECS. I purchased sims 4 for console (4 months ago), which let me say is frankly unplayable. It takes 5 minutes to do what would take 30 seconds on PC. the controls are impossible and super frustrating. I feel like if you implement keyboard and mouse for your game on PS4 everyone would benefit. As a long time sims player for the last 18 years, using the ps4 controls are impossible, and makes the game unplayable. PS4 already supports mouse and keyboard as I have used it on the console, but when opening sims 4 it doesn't work anymore. Please add keyboard and mouse support, If you do I can certainly say I'll be buying the expansions on PS4 because I've been dying to play them! Since my computer can't handle it anymore its so annoying not being able to play, and on ps4 the controls are so bad I don't even want to play. Please fix this and add mouse and keyboard for ps4!
  • Taylor_MTaylor_M Posts: 30 Member
    For me when I got it it just took time with the controls, at first it was crazy but now most times I can do stuff reasonably fast
  • ThePocketWeaselThePocketWeasel Posts: 103 Member
    I used to play on PC years ago and it took me a while to get used to the controls on PS4 but I've got no problem with the controls now. As RavenSpit said, it's kind of annoying when you want to type something out. That said, I doubt I would use a keyboard just for the sake of typing something in if they did add keyboard support, but it would be nice for it to be there for those who wanted it.
  • ericadownerxoericadownerxo Posts: 10 New Member
    [quote="ThePocketWeasel;c-16589846"]I used to play on PC years ago and it took me a while to get used to the controls on PS4 but I've got no problem with the controls now. As RavenSpit said, it's kind of annoying when you want to type something out. That said, I doubt I would use a keyboard just for the sake of typing something in if they did add keyboard support, but it would be nice for it to be there for those who wanted it. [/quote]

I’ve been trying for 4 months it’s so annoying. You end up having to press “back back back back” during building more so than you’re actually building. I want keyboard and mouse support so badly!! Then we can use the normal keyboard keys to move around and mouse to click. It would make the game so much more playable. I have absolutely gave the game so much chance on PS4 lol I just can’t get the controls down it’s unplayable in my opinion. Hopefully they’ll add keyboard and mouse support soon because for players like me that can’t get use to the PS4 controls.
  • -Haner96-Haner96 Posts: 18 Member
    The controls are a little tricky to begin with, they're jumpy and sometimes you just can't highlight and click on what you want to interact with. But patience is key! Your friend just needs to keep playing until her fingers learn the right movement.

Although, I am in agreement with the general opinion of this particular thread; they do need to push keyboard and mouse control on the Xbox version.
  • BachPatuBachPatu Posts: 21 Member
    Fake News on Xbox as Larry Hyrb would've been ALL OVER something like THAT (He WORKS at Xbox)
  • ThePocketWeaselThePocketWeasel Posts: 103 Member
    > @ericadownerxo said:
    > [quote="ThePocketWeasel;c-16589846"]...[/quote]
    >
    > I’ve been trying for 4 months it’s so annoying. You end up having to press “back back back back” during building more so than you’re actually building. I want keyboard and mouse support so badly!! Then we can use the normal keyboard keys to move around and mouse to click. It would make the game so much more playable. I have absolutely gave the game so much chance on PS4 lol I just can’t get the controls down it’s unplayable in my opinion. Hopefully they’ll add keyboard and mouse support soon because for players like me that can’t get use to the PS4 controls.
    >

I had forgotten about 'back back back back' when I originally commented and that does bug me now I think about it. I know what I'm like, though, and would still put up with 'back, back, back, back' rather than sit with a keyboard and mouse while trying to play on the sofa. That's just me though - a lot of people seem to have issues with the controls though so I really think they should allow people to use a keyboard and mouse.
  • Biggy2k4Biggy2k4 Posts: 2 New Member
    The dualshock 4 has a keyboard attachment. Look on Amazon and eBay.
  • Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
    edited July 2018
    I try play The Sims 2 on Playstation. AND other game on diff. Console. I hate console.

Desktop (classical) pc is better
  • BachPatuBachPatu Posts: 21 Member
    The Sims on console wouldn't be so bad IF they used a UI that was more friendly to consoles EVEN IF it looked differently than that of the PC

Same with Cities: Skylines (I know - Not an EA/Maxis game but it suffers from the same problem :( )
  • CommanderleaCommanderlea Posts: 3 New Member
    They really need to bring back auto roofs
    edited July 2018
    I've just come across this. Not the full keyboard as we know it from what I gathered.
    Not an actual advert and could be fake news?
    Xbox One Mouse and Keyboard Support Coming Soon - Could this be the death of Xbox? (26th June 2018)

Removed the link as it could be deemed advertising but was put on Youtube by Move The Mouse
  • ThatssjustmeThatssjustme Posts: 16 Member
    It’s not hard for me Maybe it’s because I only ever played on console
  • MI55LEMI55LE Posts: 1 New Member
    I just opened my sim 4 xbox version that was given to me last year. I am so disappointed. The controls is so confusing. It took me 20 Mins to get out of build mode and I eventually gave up and switched it off. It lags and its just impossible to actually enjoy the game play. Very disappointed. It could have been so amazing.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I only play on PC and have to use "Sims 3 Controls" setting! I don't understand "The Sims 4" camera at all!
  • lana44lana44 Posts: 60 Member
    We need to have direct control as an option like sims2.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    lana44 wrote: »
    We need to have direct control as an option like sims2.

What do you mean by "direct control?"