Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Suggestion About Closing Or Merging Threads

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
edited July 2018 in Forum Ideas & Feedback
I have noticed someone can make a topic about anything but if someone else (later) opens up a new thread basically about the same thing (like a new EP etc.) the old thread's original poster is told to go over and post in the newer thread. I'm sorry, I feel this is wrong. If someone posted first about something their thread gets closed and told to go post in a much newer dated thread. (That's not right, please check who posted first).

I would like to see the original posters of threads respected and the member who opened a new thread have to close their thread and be merged with the first one. Fair is fair. I have seen this at least ten times lately in the past three or four months.
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    Hi @Cinebar ,

This should be the scenario we follow in most cases - thread created first is the one we merge into. However, this may be different if the newer thread proves to be a lot more active.

If we ever post in a thread and redirect to a different one, there might be something else going on as this is not considered a merger.

If you notice something different happening, please don't hesitate to send me a direct message with links to threads and I will review what happened.

Thank you,
    Mage
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2018
    Thank you for answering. I can see perhaps if a thread has newer information like it's an info thread and the older thread gets closed. However, I don't see that as a good thing if the member is just more popular and gets more replies maybe because of personality or controversy going on in a thread. I don't think more activity on a later poll or thread is a good rule, it only makes members feel a popular poster is getting all the breaks. Looking at it from a younger person's perspective.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Thank you for answering. I can see perhaps if a thread has newer information like it's an info thread and the older thread gets closed. However, I don't see that as a good thing if the member is just more popular and gets more replies maybe because of personality or controversy going on in a thread. I don't think more activity on a later poll or thread is a good rule, it only makes members feel a popular poster is getting all the breaks. Looking at it from a younger person's perspective.

Yes I observed a thread recently where an older thread was merged into a newer thread.

I’ve also seen it where the same person will make 2 different threads and for some reason the 2 threads are merged together for no other reason than they were made by the same person.

Plus I keep seeing threads that are not 2 years old being closed claiming they’ve been necro’d. The rules specifically mention 2 years as the general cut off period so why are threads not 2 years old being closed?

There seems to be the rules for how things are supposed to work and then how things actually work on this forum.
    My ego (if I were very young) would totally be crushed if my thread had been closed because someone else more known on the forum or another member had just a few hours later posted about the same subject and so my thread was redirected to a newer one because a new had more activity. Of course, if it's redirected it would. I don't think I would ever bother to post again. :/
  • EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    edited July 2018
    Get me examples (in a direct private message) and I will review :)

I really can't speculate without checking what exactly happened and even then I might not be able to provide in depth details on what&why, but I can promise to review.

Thanks!
    Thank you! I will try to find them.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

Yes I observed a thread recently where an older thread was merged into a newer thread.

I’ve also seen it where the same person will make 2 different threads and for some reason the 2 threads are merged together for no other reason than they were made by the same person.

Plus I keep seeing threads that are not 2 years old being closed claiming they’ve been necro’d. The rules specifically mention 2 years as the general cut off period so why are threads not 2 years old being closed?

There seems to be the rules for how things are supposed to work and then how things actually work on this forum.

It's because they want us to keep to one thread instead of making several threads with the same topic. It's considered spamming when someone makes 2 or more posts of the same topic in different forum sections. Like awhile ago, someone made a post over in the TS3 section as well as TS4 about TS4 being on sale for $10.00 to let us TS3 players know this just in case anyone wanted to buy to TS4 for that price. But the 2 threads got merged together in the TS4 section as that is where the thread made in TS3 should had been.
    Spam or flood boards. That means don't post disruptive numbers of messages, meme, gifs and images e.g.:posting the same message in multiple forums, or sending the same DM multiple times. Spamming can include:
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    lisasc360 wrote: »

It's because they want us to keep to one thread instead of making several threads with the same topic. It's considered spamming when someone makes 2 or more posts of the same topic in different forum sections. Like awhile ago, someone made a post over in the TS3 section as well as TS4 about TS4 being on sale for $10.00 to let us TS3 players know this just in case anyone wanted to buy to TS4 for that price. But the 2 threads got merged together in the TS4 section as that is where the thread made in TS3 should had been.
    Spam or flood boards. That means don't post disruptive numbers of messages, meme, gifs and images e.g.:posting the same message in multiple forums, or sending the same DM multiple times. Spamming can include:

Cinebar doesn't have an issue with that, from what I understood of the problem. Here's the scenario Cinebar has an issue with:

SuperPopular345 is a really popular member. Newbie837474 just became a member (former New Member).

Newbie837474 wants to celebrate being a new member and opens up a thread about Topic X after making sure there are no active topics about his subject, after all, his new member status got him in the habit of searching for a relevant topic that was already created.

SuperPopular345 comes on a few hours laterand he's been a member since forever and Newbie837474's thread on Topic X has fallen off to page 3 by now, it's the weekend after an EP release and the forums are busy. He wants to make a thread about Topic X as well, so he does, doesn't search the forums at all so it's not an intentional duplicate. SuperPopular345 would never intentionally create a duplicate.

The thread titles are similar, but because SuperPopular345 has a bunch of friends, they pop in to read his thread and his thread becomes active. Neither thread has gone off topic or become heated.

Mods discover the duplicate thread and close Newbie837474's thread as a duplicate. Or merge Newbie837474's thread INTO SuperPopular345's thread.

That's what Cinebar has an issue with. The threads that are the duplicates being kept, but the original thread on the topic being closed/merged.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    Seera1024 wrote: »

Cinebar doesn't have an issue with that, from what I understood of the problem. Here's the scenario Cinebar has an issue with:

SuperPopular345 is a really popular member. Newbie837474 just became a member (former New Member).

Newbie837474 wants to celebrate being a new member and opens up a thread about Topic X after making sure there are no active topics about his subject, after all, his new member status got him in the habit of searching for a relevant topic that was already created.

SuperPopular345 comes on a few hours laterand he's been a member since forever and Newbie837474's thread on Topic X has fallen off to page 3 by now, it's the weekend after an EP release and the forums are busy. He wants to make a thread about Topic X as well, so he does, doesn't search the forums at all so it's not an intentional duplicate. SuperPopular345 would never intentionally create a duplicate.

The thread titles are similar, but because SuperPopular345 has a bunch of friends, they pop in to read his thread and his thread becomes active. Neither thread has gone off topic or become heated.

Mods discover the duplicate thread and close Newbie837474's thread as a duplicate. Or merge Newbie837474's thread INTO SuperPopular345's thread.

That's what Cinebar has an issue with. The threads that are the duplicates being kept, but the original thread on the topic being closed/merged.

I was replying to Chazzzy's post about why the would merge 2 threads made by the same person for no reason whatsoever ever. If you read the bolded part of chazzzy's post, then that's what I was replying to.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member

I was replying to Chazzzy's post about why the would merge 2 threads made by the same person for no reason whatsoever ever. If you read the bolded part of chazzzy's post, then that's what I was replying to.

I took that part as person makes 2 topics on unrelated things. I really doubt anyone would have a problem with someone merging two threads of the same topic by the same author together.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member

SuperPopular345 comes on a few hours later and he's been a member since forever and Newbie837474's thread on Topic X has fallen off to page 3 by now, it's the weekend after an EP release and the forums are busy. He wants to make a thread about Topic X as well, so he does, doesn't search the forums at all so it's not an intentional duplicate. SuperPopular345 would never intentionally create a duplicate.

I've noticed this too. At least the courtesy of letting the OP thread poster that his thread has been merged. Some newbies must be left bewildered "where has my thread gone". Some "SuperPopulars" are so prolific in posting I wonder if they actually play the games at all and a lot of them don't play Sims4 but Sims3.

Yep, this pretty much sums up what I meant. And EA_Mage pretty much confirmed (did confirm) the more active thread (though not first) would be the one to stay open. And the original closed, sometimes not even merged just closed due to a 'new' conversation going on about the subject. I think first should matter. It's a judgement call after all. If anyone wants to help me out and PM Mage with examples I would apprecaite it. This usually happens (often) in EP section and Speculation sections.