Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Age lengths have changed

Comments

• Options
    justdancerebeccajustdancerebecca Posts: 1,334 Member
    In CAS, if I create siblings, they vary in age, and that's relative to who i created first. I like the idea.
    wr7jm5.png&quot

• Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    If this is a new thing and not a bug, I really dislike it.
    My twins are now having different birthdays so I had to celebrate both together before planned.
    I play rotational and this has messed up with my system. I had children in different households that I planned to age up on a Friday (the Friday I was meant to play in their household) and now birthdays appear on the calendar all over the place, it is a mess and it means I had to speed up things and that my neighbourhood is not growing at the path I want but at the path the randomiser wants.
    I am not ruling right now.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    How curious.

I don't play with aging on, but if I did I'd probably not appreciate this. I wonder where they come up with the ideas to implement these strange changes when no one was complaining about the way it worked before :D
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Cupid wrote: »
    How curious.

I don't play with aging on, but if I did I'd probably not appreciate this. I wonder where they come up with the ideas to implement these strange changes when no one was complaining about the way it worked before :D

Maybe so they can all be listed on the Calendar for their birthday? Other than that I have no clue unless they are planning something else to do with it in the future.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I'm not really happy about this change. If a sims is younger than another sim, it should stay that way. You shouldn't be able to 'catch up' on aging. I'll need to use the cake to age up some sims early from now, I suppose.

What really bothers me about this 'feature' is the lack of communication. I think a change like this should be mentioned in patch notes. What's the point of patch notes if you leave out changes to basic game behaviour. I'm glad I found this post, thanks for letting us know.

Exactly! Why were we not informed of such an important change?
    I was so sure it was a bug, but it seems it isn't. I am really furious right now, this has really messed up my game.
    Instead of doing what has been a comment for ages, letting us choose the lenght of each life stage individually, they come up with this?
  • Options
    LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    Yeah, I’m not a huge fan either. Now my twins (on long) are 3 or 4 days apart in age when they should be identical :/
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    I don't mind it but I feel like splitting up twins is a bug and if so maybe it'll be patched I created twins in cas for the pancakes and they are a few days apart too. Guess we'll see if it gets fixed or not.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    I would never remember when a sim has to age up. I always use a cake, when I think they are where they should be in their skills or relationships or both,, or I get bored playing them at that age. I age them with a cake. once I played about 6 different families with children, I played most of them to where I wanted to age the children up. had one have a party and invited all the others, aged them all up at his house. no problem. I couldn't do it the way some of you simmers do. maybe I'm just too old.
  • Options
    PixelPrincezzPixelPrincezz Posts: 321 Member
    Okay I don't play in a while, and I mostly play with age off so what does that mean to the game and why did they change?
    Also, why are twins having this "glitch"?
    Sorry for the amount of questions but since I hardly play with Sims aging up I don't get it, can someone explain? ;)
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ― Oscar Wilde
    EA ID: PixelPrincezz
    90dia7ml8p6n.jpg
  • Options
    Jordyn78988Jordyn78988 Posts: 421 Member
    [quote="justdancerebecca;c-16583101"]In CAS, if I create siblings, they vary in age, and that's relative to who i created first. I like the idea.[/quote]

Yeah, I do the same thing. The idea is cool, but I wish we had more control over it. The issue with this is that the age difference is randomized by the game. So the sibling that was created last might randomize to be aged up first (if I'm understanding correctly).
  • Options
    Okay I don't play in a while, and I mostly play with age off so what does that mean to the game and why did they change?
    Also, why are twins having this "glitch"?
    Sorry for the amount of questions but since I hardly play with Sims aging up I don't get it, can someone explain? ;)

Why they changed it? I have no idea.

What does it mean to the game? It means that twins for example are ageing up on different days, or if you have a toddler and a baby and age the baby to toddler, maybe that one will age up to child before their sibling (which doesn't make any sense since that sibling is supposed to be older). It also means that you can't organise your neighbourhoods the way you want as a rotational player since the game now decides randomly when your sims will age up. It means no control over it. We were not informed of the change and we don't get to opt out of it either, no toggle, no nothing. Just the game forcing us to play the way it wants and not the way we want.

Why are twins having this glitch? I imagine is a consequence they overlooked when adding this new system.
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited July 2018
    Oh man, does it seriously change our existing Sims?! That is NOT COOL - I have multi-generational legacy files that do not need this messing up all the ages!! I play with aging on Long so this means there is an unacceptably large variation in ages suddenly thrown into my carefully planned and timed families.

@SimGuruNick - Can you confirm if this is by design? It is causing huge problems for rotational players and we were not warned of this disastrous change for our rotational saves in the patch notes.
  • Options
    sleekoduck87sleekoduck87 Posts: 255 Member
    I cloned Nina and Dina Caliente so I could give them different personality traits in my Retro TS2 neighborhood. I moved Don Lothario out of the household. I decided to play Don Lothario and he had a club get-together that included Nina. Don had the option to flirt with (what had been) Nina the teen. I ran the mouse over her and she was a Young Adult. I went back into the Caliente household and both were Young Adults.

I have aging off (except for the played household).

W H A T T H E P L U M B B O B ? ? ?

185?cb=20150213075344
    I'm working on adding my mods to Curseforge. In the mean time, check out my YouTube channel & WordPress blog for more. I go by Sleekoduck. I'm also the one who figured out how to play The Sims 2 in Windows 8 and the original fix is on Facebook & LiveJournal. Thanks for the 100 Awesomes everyone!6a00e54ee3905b883301bb07e55862970.jpg
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    This is such a disheartening change. I don't want randomized lengths of each age range because it destroys the synchronization I've set up over generations in my long-term legacy file. I was starting to feel really positive about the Sims 4 team again after the great Jungle Adventure and Seasons packs, and then they throw something like this in that makes me want to avoid touching my saves to let this change infect them. :(
  • Options
    PixelPrincezzPixelPrincezz Posts: 321 Member
    @AlbaWaterhouse Thank you for the explanation, it does sound weird the fact that twins are having this glitch though :(
    I hope they can fix that because it affects story telling a lot.

Also @Terra I agree with you the rotational game play suffers a lot from this "glitch" I hope @SimGuruNick and the other Gurus can confirm this as a glitch.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ― Oscar Wilde
    EA ID: PixelPrincezz
    90dia7ml8p6n.jpg
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I wonder if it just affects saves before Seasons or does it affect new saves as well?

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Teslachick2Teslachick2 Posts: 442 Member
    edited July 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I wonder if it just affects saves before Seasons or does it affect new saves as well?

@Writin_Reg Can confirm it doesn't affect new saves. I started a new save when I got seasons and so far, three different families have twins and each twin sets have birthdays on the same day.
    I regret some of my life choices.
  • Options
    afai1261afai1261 Posts: 2,030 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

@Writin_Reg Can confirm it doesn't affect new saves. I started a new save when I got seasons and so far, three different families have twins and each twin sets have birthdays on the same day.

That's so weird... why would they do that?
  • Options
    Jaline33Jaline33 Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited July 2018
    CK213 wrote: »
    I don't care for it.
    It messed up my system for tracking my sims ages as I am playing a lot of households in rotation.

Exactly the same for me.

Edited to add: in almost all of my families, the parents are now several days older which means they are going to be elders with children, in some cases. Also, in some of my families, the wives are older than the husbands, where previously the husbands were older than the wives. This must be a bug because when toddlers first came out, the ages of the parents and older siblings were adjusted downward to accommodate the extra age of toddlers added to the game. Maybe that became disturbed in programming somehow - much like the problem of pets staying tense for days without end, no matter what care the Sims give them.
    Post edited by Jaline33 on
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    I like this idea, but I'm scratching my head over why the two toddlers in this family have different birthdays. This part works out very well because I had carefully randomized their genes when creating this version of a family, aged them down in CAS to start them anew. None of the children are twins! The three older boys are children, and ALL three share the very same birth date on said calendar! I'm troubled that they weren't randomized like the girls were. I do wish we could take control of that on the calendar. Better still, I wish we could have some sort of slider/filter, whatever it may be called, directly in CAS to allow for birth order. If I didn't need my families to have a certain look, they could all be born in game. But then my ancestors wouldn't look like themselves …
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Jordyn78988Jordyn78988 Posts: 421 Member
    I like this idea, but I'm scratching my head over why the two toddlers in this family have different birthdays. This part works out very well because I had carefully randomized their genes when creating this version of a family, aged them down in CAS to start them anew. None of the children are twins! The three older boys are children, and ALL three share the very same birth date on said calendar! I'm troubled that they weren't randomized like the girls were. I do wish we could take control of that on the calendar. Better still, I wish we could have some sort of slider/filter, whatever it may be called, directly in CAS to allow for birth order. If I didn't need my families to have a certain look, they could all be born in game. But then my ancestors wouldn't look like themselves …

To be able to adjust birth order in CAS is a great idea!
  • Options
    aabroadyaabroady Posts: 59 Member
    I'm really not a fan that I have had to use a cake w/ birthday candles and interactions so that the twins that have been born on the same day have their birthday on the same day and not 2 or more days apart.
    tumblr_inline_pthe8zHeJT1rorsjo_1280.png
    Gallery ID: aabroady
  • Options
    ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    I guess I'm not understanding what's going on here. If you have aging only set for played households, where they won't age unless you play them, how is this a problem? I can understand not wanting sims who are supposed to be younger than another sibling to be older, but that's what aging early is for; I understand that side of being upset, but it's not like sims are aging when unplayed, are they? Cause that's a bigger issue for me.

And we still don't have actual confirmation from a guru about this. I cannot imagine the devs would implement something in game without informing the sims community first. Just looking for clarification is all. Cause this seems like something that should be cleared up.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • Options
    chidoriaidachidoriaida Posts: 282 Member
    I don't care for it.
    It messed up my system for tracking my sims ages as I am playing a lot of households in rotation.

This is exactly my problem. I really hate this change. Now it's just making it harder for me to keep track of my sims' age. I only found it out when one of my twins is 1 day older than the other. Also a child from another family has been added 3 extra days! This really messes up my tracking.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    edited July 2018
    I don't care for it.

This is exactly my problem. I really hate this change. Now it's just making it harder for me to keep track of my sims' age. I only found it out when one of my twins is 1 day older than the other. Also a child from another family has been added 3 extra days! This really messes up my tracking.

Perhaps, with the twins, you can merely realize one was born technically on the day before, while the second one arrived just after midnight, making it the next day. :open_mouth: I play on Long and generally age up my Sims when I'm ready to do so. I'm trying to formulate just how soon to age up the first boy, who was originally born in the Fall, late September. Unsure of which months the next two were born, but they were two years and four years younger than the first son. I'm still playing each household in my Rotation Save, for a solid week. I've set Seasons to last for two weeks, at this time, so that each family (I only have two, currently) will experience the seasons as they come along. I'm not very far in this game, as we just got back from vacation. I have yet to check in with the second household to see how that one's been troubled. I'm guessing I'm going to have to watch the calendar more in order to establish the proper range between children. Face/palm.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/