Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Summer Backyard Barbeque Event - Guide for free players!

KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
We've got a new event everyone and I wanted to share my experience so far so you can make the most of it and know what to expect if you're just getting started. I'll do a walk through of the quest line itself and keep track of the boxes I open to give you an idea of what you'll actually get throughout the event!
X1lqvca.png

Mysteries Of The Garden Gnome Quest Line
This 9 step quest rewards 3 lawn gnomes. (Totally coveted, right?)

My tips for starting the quest:
-Don't complete either of the events (experimenting or sampling) as they're needed quickly in the quest chain. If you have 3 sims, you can get the events started and use the 3rd sim to work on the quest. Steps 1-3 are quick.
-Don't spend your lemons immediately. Step 6 asks you to spend 925 of them.

NOTE: This quest requires you to do the 7 hour event with a 20 hour cool down TWICE. If you start this quest with less than 20 hours left in the event, you can only complete it if you spend simcash to complete the event.
You also need a total of 2325 lemons to complete the quest.

Quest 1 of 9: Search in potted plants for gnome clues 0/10.
-For this step, you can search most house plants except for some small table plants and large trees. After searching, plants go on a 5 minute cool down.

Quest 2 of 9: Sprinkle the gnomes favorite drink on potted plants 0/5.
-This step interacts with the same plants from quest 1.

Quest 3 of 9: Place a summer drinks tray at home.
-Pretty self explanatory. The tray was rewarded by quest 2.

Quest 4 of 9: Sample summer drink specials at the cafe.
This event takes place at the cafe and takes about 3 hours, and resets in 8 hours. You can easily speed through this event using 2 cupcakes.

Quest 5 of 9: Experiment with summer recipes at home.
This event takes 6-7 hours and has a 20 hour cooldown. You'll need 4-5 cupcakes to speed through it.

Quest 6 of 9: Spend Lemon Slices to open summer ice chests 0/950 (lemons).
Boxes cost 250 lemons, so open 4 of them. You should have enough from the first 5 quests if you didn't spend any.

Quest 7 of 9: Sample summer drink specials at the cafe.
Do the cafe event again. I'd recommend just waiting the 8 hours if you haven't yet. Don't waste simcash! Use 2 cupcakes to speed through it once the event starts.

Quest 8 of 9: Experiment with summer recipes at home.
This event takes 6-7 hours and has a 20 hour cooldown.

Quest 9 of 9: Spend lemon slices to open summer ice chests 0/1400.
Boxes cost 250 lemons. Open 6 of them and you're done!

CsdQJcq.png
Summer Ice Chests
Lemon Chests: 42 Simcash Chests: 0
-Vented Hiking Hat
-Ultra Posh Glasses
-Floral Breeze
-Summer Chill Tower 3/8
-Summer Padded Dining Chair 3/8
-Summer Dining Chair 6/8
-Summer Umbrella Table 2/4
-Summer Steely Arms Loveseat 6/6
-Summer Steely Arms Chair 6/6
-Summer Illumination Light 3/12
-Summer Lantern 3/6
-Home Tickets: 2, 2
-Duplicates: 6
(15 Fashion Gems, 30 Home Tickets, 15 Sim Tickets, 100 Gold)

Please share your ice chest results as well! I'm curious to see others' results!
D2vFwMN.jpg
My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
Post edited by Karilan on

Comments

• YourRoyalHighenessYourRoyalHigheness Posts: 8 New Member
    I've opened 29 Lemon Chests and 0 simcash chests and my outcome so far:

Men's floral breeze shirt
    Womans summer chic jumpsuit
    Summer dining chair 2/8
    Summer umbrella table 2/4
    Summer steely arms loveseat 5/6
    Summer steely arms accent chair 8/6 (2 were turned into extra home tickets and sims tickets)
    Summer illumination ground light 4/12
    Summer Lantern 3/6
    Home tickets

I completed the quests in one day and got my 3 gnomes. So now I'm just collecting lemons by doing the events over as they become available and doing my usual hobbies,relationships, and work. I'm hoping for a grill!
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    Awesome results so far @YourRoyalHigheness ! Personally I'm not eager to get the hot dog outfit haha, but definitely want a grill!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
    [quote="Karilan;c-16589244"]Awesome results so far @YourRoyalHigheness ! Personally I'm not eager to get the hot dog outfit haha, but definitely want a grill! [/quote]

Oh gosh, me either! The way my luck goes that will be the one rare item I get! Haha.
  • RenBarRenBar Posts: 8 New Member
    I’ve got a ridiculous amount of doubles and triples and quadruples of things ! I have received the grill. The chairs are crazy. With the limit that’s put on the games Home items you cannot use everything without ripping your home apart. Is it even possible to earn at least one item of each? I have something like 3 sets of the metal loves seats with the chairs. I have a ton of wooden chairs. I haven’t received any men’s clothing items.
    I have not finished one of these quests and earned all items available, I wanted the loveseat that came with the bubble bar and never won it.
    If you pay the $4.99 are you going to recieve that hard to get or missing items? I’m a daily player and have spent my share of real cash on this game but getting more and more disapointed. Thanks for letting me vent. I don’t even want to get started about Izzy’s fashion and the double items.
  • Snowdrop18Snowdrop18 Posts: 36 Member
    > @RenBar said:
    > I’ve got a ridiculous amount of doubles and triples and quadruples of things ! I have received the grill. The chairs are crazy. With the limit that’s put on the games Home items you cannot use everything without ripping your home apart. Is it even possible to earn at least one item of each? I have something like 3 sets of the metal loves seats with the chairs. I have a ton of wooden chairs. I haven’t received any men’s clothing items.
    > I have not finished one of these quests and earned all items available, I wanted the loveseat that came with the bubble bar and never won it.
    > If you pay the $4.99 are you going to recieve that hard to get or missing items? I’m a daily player and have spent my share of real cash on this game but getting more and more disapointed. Thanks for letting me vent. I don’t even want to get started about Izzy’s fashion and the double items.

I spent $4.99 and got nothing I wanted, nothing rare. I would advise against spending the cash. I really don’t like the algorithm they use in events like this, and at Izzy’s. I have way too many duplicates of things I don’t want.
    Snowdrop18 wrote: »
    > @RenBar said:
    > I’ve got a ridiculous amount of doubles and triples and quadruples of things ! I have received the grill. The chairs are crazy. With the limit that’s put on the games Home items you cannot use everything without ripping your home apart. Is it even possible to earn at least one item of each? I have something like 3 sets of the metal loves seats with the chairs. I have a ton of wooden chairs. I haven’t received any men’s clothing items.
    > I have not finished one of these quests and earned all items available, I wanted the loveseat that came with the bubble bar and never won it.
    > If you pay the $4.99 are you going to recieve that hard to get or missing items? I’m a daily player and have spent my share of real cash on this game but getting more and more disapointed. Thanks for letting me vent. I don’t even want to get started about Izzy’s fashion and the double items.

I spent $4.99 and got nothing I wanted, nothing rare. I would advise against spending the cash. I really don’t like the algorithm they use in events like this, and at Izzy’s. I have way too many duplicates of things I don’t want.

Agreed. It would be different if simcash boxes had a much higher chance to get rares...but that's not the case.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • IvanaHaffunIvanaHaffun Posts: 11 New Member
    Very frustrating. The last 8 or 9 boxes I opened were duplicates and ended up receiving useless green home tickets. I spent $15 in real money and got nothing worth having. I advise AGAINST spending real $, this game is glitchy and whatever algorithm they use completely suck. And yeah, goes double for that izzy store - don’t spend $ for gems, total rip-off.
  • MamaBMamaB Posts: 3 New Member
    Instead of spending simcash for baskets I'll spend on replaying the recipes event. It costs 77 to rush the wait time for 400 lemons. Baskets are 75 for essentially 250 lemons. It's still a pain and like many others I recieve so many duplicates.
  • ayyitsmellayyitsmell Posts: 434 Member
    edited July 2018
    As a free player, It says to earn lemons through the Barbecue activities and the regular events. However, I only get 125 lemons for one work event, and the other sims who went to work as well don't get the 125 lemons. Is it supposed to be like that? :|

Also, I don't open multiple boxes if I receive a common item. I wait to open multiple boxes when I've received something rare. I got 2 outfits in a row by doing that. The Hot Dog one (Rare) and the Jumpsuit (Uncommon). Hope that helps!
    Ayy It's Mell ♥

• VapeeVixenVapeeVixen Posts: 12 New Member
    Here's my results so far with less than 24 hrs to go, not looking hopeful for a grill...
    1 Hat
    1 Glasses
    1 Mens Shirt
    1 Jumpsuit
    2 Towers
    3 Padded Chairs
    7 Dining Chairs
    4 Umbrella Tables
    5 Loveseats
    6 Arm Chairs
    4 Illumination Lights
    5 Lanterns
    Got the cash 2x
    Got the gems a dozen times
    More duplicates than I can count
    I lost count on how many chests I have opened at this point. Buti have all of the uncommon items and continue to get them over and over again...so they turn into home tickets. I've gotten simcash 3 times, and have the rare hat and glasses. I've lost hope on getting the grill. I'm not really sure what I'm suppose to do with all these patio tables either.
    VapeeVixen wrote: »
    Here's my results so far with less than 24 hrs to go, not looking hopeful for a grill...
    1 Hat
    1 Glasses
    1 Mens Shirt
    1 Jumpsuit
    2 Towers
    3 Padded Chairs
    7 Dining Chairs
    4 Umbrella Tables
    5 Loveseats
    6 Arm Chairs
    4 Illumination Lights
    5 Lanterns
    Got the cash 2x
    Got the gems a dozen times
    More duplicates than I can count

Wow! You've received a lot. :worried:

This is what I've received so far:

2 Umbrella Tables
    2 Home Tickets (I don't remember how much it gave me)
    1 Cooling Tower
    3 Summer Lanterns
    1 Hot Dog Costume
    1 Simcash (I don't remember how much it gave me, I think 18?)
    1 Sunglasses
    1 Jumpsuit (I got it 2x actually, but it gave me 3 rewards after, mostly tickets)
    3 Illumination Lights
    3 Summer Dining Chairs
    1 Summer Padded Dining Chair
    1 Steel Arms Chair
    1 Steel Arms Loveseat

and then the 3 gnomes after completing the event

I really wanted the men's shirt and the grill but I doubt I'll get them lol
    Ayy It's Mell ♥

I had quite a stash of Sims cash and have used some to speed the events up so I could start them. Don't give up hope, I've seen most people get the shirt, only one or two get the grill and you're the first person I've seen get the hot dog costume, so odds are you've got a chance. I hope the dev's take away the clear lopsided reward disbursements, I mean who needs 4 patio tables and 20 chairs...
    I had quite a stash of Sims cash and have used some to speed the events up so I could start them. Don't give up hope, I've seen most people get the shirt, only one or two get the grill and you're the first person I've seen get the hot dog costume, so odds are you've got a chance. I hope the dev's take away the clear lopsided reward disbursements, I mean who needs 4 patio tables and 20 chairs...

I try to not use up my sim cash so that I can finally open that fourth slot.
    & LOL true. I've got 3 patio tables now and only 3 dining chairs and 2 other chairs that don't match LOL Hoping for that fourth dining chair so my table can look complete.
    I'm still trying to complete more events since I only have 54 lemons at the moment, but no more lemons are coming in. I might just have to wait for tomorrow to complete more events.
    Ayy It's Mell ♥

• LaVitaESabelLaVitaESabel Posts: 43 Member
    I am done with this activity. Got my gnome and have displayed them on my garden together with the chair. I still haven't unlocked the griller and one of the clothes.
  • MomstarMomstar Posts: 3 New Member
    I got the shirt and the snazzy ladies outfit. Aside from that I have FOUR umbrella tables and a bunch of chairs and lights. Many, many, many duplicates. Probably won't bother next time....if I could sell off these tables or trade in 3 tables for a bbq, maybe, but the duplicate payouts are ridiculous. I am not trying to open a cafe in my backyard, what is up with the all the chairs and tables?
    ayyitsmell wrote: »

I try to not use up my sim cash so that I can finally open that fourth slot.
    & LOL true. I've got 3 patio tables now and only 3 dining chairs and 2 other chairs that don't match LOL Hoping for that fourth dining chair so my table can look complete.
    I'm still trying to complete more events since I only have 54 lemons at the moment, but no more lemons are coming in. I might just have to wait for tomorrow to complete more events.

@ayyitsmell I definitely recommend saving your simcash for the 4th slot since having a 4th sim will help generate more gold, tokens, and even event items!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • kimmychellekimmychelle Posts: 3 New Member
    I do agree that this is a pretty alright event. But I have various problems with the event prizes. Why are there so many of an item? I will never use 6 loveseats, that is ridiculous, and the umbrella tables??? And this event only gives you two choices for event activities to collect lemons!! Two?!?! It’s like they don’t want you to get the event items. There should be a way to sell back unwanted items like in the main console game. Selling unwanted items would make more sense with the number of duplicates they give you. Just saying EA.....

Then again I might just be bitter because I opened like a million chests (gross exaggeration because I really don’t know how many, it just seems like a truck ton) and all I wanted was a grill
    I do agree that this is a pretty alright event. But I have various problems with the event prizes. Why are there so many of an item? I will never use 6 loveseats, that is ridiculous, and the umbrella tables??? And this event only gives you two choices for event activities to collect lemons!! Two?!?! It’s like they don’t want you to get the event items. There should be a way to sell back unwanted items like in the main console game. Selling unwanted items would make more sense with the number of duplicates they give you. Just saying EA.....

Then again I might just be bitter because I opened like a million chests (gross exaggeration because I really don’t know how many, it just seems like a truck ton) and all I wanted was a grill

Unlike previous events, I definitely found I got more event currency from normal events (like hobbies and work). I wonder if this was a test to make an event that doesn't disrupt your normal game play as much? For the events that had 4 activities, I know some people complained that they barely had time to do anything else all week.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • RachPPRachPP Posts: 12 New Member
    I didn't try hard for this event. No cupcakes used and didn't spend much time tapping through activities. These are what I've got:
    Hat, Shirt, Jumpsuit
    2 Chill Towers
    1 Padded Dining Chair
    4 Dining Chairs
    3 Steel Loveseats
    2 Steel Armchairs
    4 Umbrella Tables
    6 Lanterns
    1 Illumination Light
    1 Blue house ticket (not sure how many)
    1 Simcash (i think it is 18)

Plus some shirt duplicates and green tickets, which I didn't keep count. I am relatively lucky considering the fact that I didn't open a lot of boxes but still manage to get most of the items. Initially I had a hard time getting the chill tower, jumpsuit and illumination light, and I thought I wouldn't get them after all.

As for the grill and shades, I am not putting much hope on them... By the way, what interesting thing can the grill do? I went to a party where the house has got the grill, but I can't interact with it, unlike the hot tub and the bubble blower.
  • RachPPRachPP Posts: 12 New Member
    > @Karilan said:
    > Unlike previous events, I definitely found I got more event currency from normal events (like hobbies and work). I wonder if this was a test to make an event that doesn't disrupt your normal game play as much? For the events that had 4 activities, I know some people complained that they barely had time to do anything else all week.

Maybe you are right, but the tokens required to open a box in this event is 250, compared to previous events where it is only 50 tokens per box. I can't remember, though, how many tokens an activity can earn then, so I can't conclude. But I definitely have an easier time this event, which is good.
  • sikasika18sikasika18 Posts: 343 Member
    Finally got the grill but that was the ONLY Home item i got. Everything else was tickets and duplicates of the clothes......
    Congrats on getting the grill, I'm on my final go of both event activities and still no grill, could care less on the hot dog costume ( which means I'll probably get it with last chest lol )
  • FlapjacqFlapjacq Posts: 12 New Member
    I really wanted the hotdog costume but I guess i’ll never have it :(

I got ;
    1 grill
    Hat
    Glasses
    Shirt
    Jumpsuit
    2 chill tower
    4 padded dining chairs
    5 dining chairs
    4 umbrella tables
    6 loveseats
    1 arm chair
    10 illumination lights
    2 summer lanterns

Loads of home tickets, fashion gems and repeated items. Last 5 hours now and it’s bed time for me so that is officially what i’ll only get in this event
  • st0rmtrooperxst0rmtrooperx Posts: 33 Member
    Have yet to get any good items from this event. All I keep getting is benches, plastic chairs and umbrella tables. All I wanted was the BBQ or hot dog costume :( I've seen people who have 4 BBQs and I don't even have 1 yet like come on EA. If we're going to have these random loot box events, you should stop giving out the same item if I already have the max amount. This event was such a waste of time.