Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bring Sims 1 to Origin please???

2...Next

Comments

• Deedee_DaydreamDeedee_Daydream Posts: 10 New Member
    I still play Sims 1 in a virtual machine running XP. This is a still a great idea tho. Hey EA, we aren't asking for support or anything - we are SIMMERS - we know how to help each other and we do. All we need is access and we'll take it from there, eh?
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I have never played the sims 1. I would love for them to bring it to origin. They probably can take a similar model to what they did with sims 2. Although I think sims 1 and 2 should be publicly available rather than limited to those who had that code.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    I've already messaged Microsoft when they asked for Insider Feedback to ask them if they could reintroduce "Virtual PC". They produced that for Windows 7 and it can run XP games.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3702

So far no success for Windows 10. I did tell them that it would make good PR and would make 10 more popular!
  • dimmanxakdimmanxak Posts: 1 New Member
    Guys, the sims 1 complete collection works perfectly fine on windows 10.
    anyway, I'd like to buy it digital again. Gog/steam or origin..
  • honeyflorishoneyfloris Posts: 5 New Member
    I've never personally played the sims, but my aunt has it and she says it was one of the best games for her when she was younger. I don't have the disk, she lost it recently and this would be great to have it digitally, not only would it benefit me but it would benefit all you guys too ;)
  • EarcatEarcat Posts: 461 Member
    It would be wonderful if Sims1 were released.
  • StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,443 Member
    I, too, would LOVE to see The Sims 1 come out on Origin! Please, EA?
  • DecafToasterDecafToaster Posts: 41 Member
    Good Old Games manages to get games that aren’t supported any more running just fine with the help of emulators in some cases. I would like to see this happen because I’ve never played the original and I’d like to.
    Discord: DecafToaster#1733
    i5 4690K @ 4.8 GHz • 32 GB • GTX 1070 • ROG PG279Q
  • DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    Agh this would be SO GOOD! I have all of the Sims 1 discs and expansions, I just cba to dig them out; would be great if they did something similar to TS2 Ultimate Collection where you can get it for free with a disc (or maybe even without one since the game is so obsolete)!
  • XHails_HaileyXXHails_HaileyX Posts: 14 New Member
    I also would LOVE for them to bring Sims 1 to Origin.

I still have all of the original discs (Makin' Magic is my favorite!), but my laptop doesn't have an optical disc drive, and neither will any of my future laptops and desktops (purposefully ripped out the one in my old desktop when Sims 3 became digital in Origin) because physical CDROMS are no longer needed today, and game companies have stopped making them because of this. The digital age is the best age!

But... Games like Sims 1 are being tossed aside because companies don't think we'd want them today. This is a LIE! "Retro" games are still one of the most popular genres, with old RPGs and AARPGs being at the forefront. Sims 1 is also retro, and it's ALWAYS good to see exactly how a game franchise started out so that you can fully appreciate where it ended up today.

The youngins (I say as a 23 year old) need to be given the chance to see gaming history by playing the originals, but they'll never be able to without games being ported to digital today. I feel like EA thinks we all still have our 2000s Gateway Personal Computers, and that every other older company thinks we have giant Atari arcade machines in our living rooms. It's honestly not fair since I know for a FACT that all games can be made digital. Games that existed before smart phones can even be played on mobile (Baldur's Gate has a mobile version for 10 bucks). If a classic RPG can be played on mobile, then by plum EA can make Sims 1 digital! I'll pay for it! Take my money! *Throws money at screen*
  • nolurknolurk Posts: 249 Member
    edited August 2018
    I would love if they brought the original Sims Complete Collection to Origin! I had about 1gb of custom content downloaded that followed me through 4 computer upgrades but somehow got lost during the 5th one :( But I still love playing the game from time to time and I have so many happy memories of the game.

What you were saying about the loss of downloads sadly sounds too familiar! :( After a few moves, I admittedly am not even sure if I still even have back-ups of my precious TS1 downloads anymore (I used to have them on another hard drive on my old system, but as I can't really access it anymore and remember something happening at some point to where I lost those downloads on that same drive, so my only "hope" would have been those backup discs I made during a prior move).
    The youngins (I say as a 23 year old) need to be given the chance to see gaming history by playing the originals, but they'll never be able to without games being ported to digital today. I feel like EA thinks we all still have our 2000s Gateway Personal Computers, and that every other older company thinks we have giant Atari arcade machines in our living rooms. It's honestly not fair since I know for a FACT that all games can be made digital. Games that existed before smart phones can even be played on mobile (Baldur's Gate has a mobile version for 10 bucks). If a classic RPG can be played on mobile, then by plum EA can make Sims 1 digital! I'll pay for it! Take my money! *Throws money at screen*

What you were saying about gaming companies and hardware, it's not so much their perspective of what companies think people (would-be-consumers, for example) might own and therefore just choosing not to digitize them so much as other factors that come into play, such as demand/interest or costs involved (especially if older tech is involved and finding a way to sometimes overcome that to get a game to work with more "modern" hardware and software). Keep in mind, for example, that EA actually has ported over digital versions of some of their older titles or made them available (and not just through Origin)--some of those titles pre-dating the Sims by many, many years!

Also, while Atari was in the arcade business (and go their start in it), to most people out there, they're much more widely associated with console gaming (especially the Atari 2600, which had been the best-selling console in history for quite some time and essentially started the console craze as well as remaining beloved to many classic gamers out there (however, in the interest of fairness, it should be mentioned that Atari were not the first to invent the idea of a gaming console--they were just the first to successfully introduce it). Just as many of the games they released were more likely to be found on gaming cartridges for their consoles (again, especially the classic 2600) versus on the arcade cabinets they produced. Likewise, while the company that currently calls itself Atari (not to be confused with the original company by that name--the original company went bankrupt decades ago; the current company bought out the name, logo, and parts of their gaming catalog) has been releasing "updates" or remakes of their classic games in recent years, they're not designed to run on the old or original hardware (on a related side note, some of the old gaming consoles--not just Atari's--have in recent years been either licensed out or produced, albeit with some newer technology such as having games preinstalled onto the consoles versus having to deal with the cartridge-based systems that previously had existed as well as to work with newer TVs).

With respect to the argument about comparing smartphone/tablet/mobile technology to a desktop/laptop, it's almost like comparing proverbial apples to oranges in some respects. On the technical front, the two platforms involve very different architectures and hardware to say nothing about the different operating systems that are involved on each side (licensing issues can also potentially arise in the case of certain mobile platforms). That isn't to say it's impossible, just that you have to consider it can add a layers of complications from the perspective of a developer. There's also a "cultural" difference that comes into play (and this even historically has applied to the different operating system platforms for just mobile) where a user may be more inclined to purchase a given game on a desktop and continue to play it for as long as they can (or the operating system supports it), but on the mobile side, a consumer may be less likely to want to spend real world money on something like a game upfront, but may prefer one that uses the widely-adopted "freemium" model (where the app, itself, is free but may use ads or different ways in which the user can or may choose to spend real money--to a number of developers, the latter model has also been preferred and profitable, especially in the long-term and is more cross-platform in its success). It's partly due to the latter, as to why I suspect EA chose to use that model with both Freeplay and Sims Mobile. In contrast, whenever they released Sims ports for prior games in the past for mobile devices where a player had to pay upfront for a game, it was not nearly as successful nor as profitable.

Having said all that, though, as I've mentioned many times previously, I'd still love to see EA release a digital version of Sims1 (preferably on the desktop ;)). :)

Also, regarding the age comment and gaming history, it's funny as in having visited The Computer History Museum in Mountain View (literally next to the famed Googleplex, FYI), they not only have a select few classic arcade games that visitors can actually play, but the box for the original Sims (1) game on display and mention of it being the best-selling game of all time (makes me almost wish I hadn't recycled the box the original game came in during a past movie). :(
  • LadyTachunkaLadyTachunka Posts: 1,454 Member
    i personally would love the sims 1. i wasn't around the sims that age so i wouldn't know i was into roller coaster tycoon at the age it came out. but i would love to play the first game as i still play rct still to this day. i love older games just to see how far a game as come. what i don't understand they have older games on origin why not the sims 1
    8a35839c629b9a9f3643198909b278c0.gif Been simming since the end of sims 2~Sims Gallery ID:BSAAWaifu
  • Speeddy99Speeddy99 Posts: 5 New Member
    Hopefully I'm not too late to the bandwagon. I would pay for a copy on Origin. Blizzard updates Diablo 2 on occasion still (they fixed it for Windows 10 in 2015 -- they have a classic games team that is dedicated to keeping the older content alive.)

EA would not have to invest much in a classic games team to help revive dead games they own the rights to, and preserve the ones they are coming out with now.

As another example, I have literally dozens of older games in my Steam and GoG libraries that I only bought starting in 2015 when I got those accounts. Epic still has UT2004 as well.

EA is the only one of the big game companies I know of who is not putting at least a little bit into their retro/classic titles.
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    I ache for the sims 1. On origin. If EA doesn't want to release it, let gog have it. They can fix some of the bugs too while they're at it?
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • BessiebooBessieboo Posts: 199 Member
    Hejix wrote: »
    I ache for the sims 1. On origin. If EA doesn't want to release it, let gog have it. They can fix some of the bugs too while they're at it?

I dont understand why EA are not making sims and sims 2 available to buy on origin, They still have a massive fan base and it would only take them to get them to work well on windows 10 to make a profit. I know my teenage daughter and friends enjoy playing them as much as sims 4 if not more.
    I know!
  • pookysimsloverpookysimslover Posts: 339 Member
    I too would love this, I still have my old disks, which is the whole collection, but like others I can't play it on my new PC, even when I had Windows 8 it wouldn't even play The Sims 2 disks!

Luckily I was lucky enough to get the free Sims 2 download less then a year ago, from a very nice lady from EA customer service, who at the time was helping me with an issue with Origin, and I just happened to decide to ask about it, and she added it to my Origin, after I gave her the code off my basegame case!

But I have been seeing a lot of lets play videos on YouTube that has got me wanting to play the game, so I would love to get the chance to even just buy it from Origin!

The fact is Origin has in the passed given away older games, ones just as old as The Sims 1, like Theme Hospital, which was released in 1997, so much older then The Sims 1, and worse Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger, which came out in 1995! I have these two which is why I bring them up, though I have a bunch of other ones too, all older out of date games!

So yes they could release The Sims 1 as a download, and I don't need it to be free, $20, actually I admit I would probably give them even $30 for it, since it is The Sims! I mean I don't even play anything but The Sims games, unless I count Mahjong or Solitaire on my phone and Kindle,lol!

So for me the chance to have the one that started it all to play whenever I want would be fantastic!
    To follow me or check out my creations my name is claramj and my avatar is Nikki Cat, she's in my gallery!
  • pookysimsloverpookysimslover Posts: 339 Member
    Oh and we should do a poll here or on the other forums areas too, since there are a lot of people who play the other games who never looks here! Have a poll asking people if they would pay $20 to get The Sims 1 for download on Origin! And maybe the EA/Maxis people would see it and maybe do it if there was enough people wanting it!
    To follow me or check out my creations my name is claramj and my avatar is Nikki Cat, she's in my gallery!
    We should try!