Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dear EA would like to make a request / suggestion

Electronic Arts: Mr. Troy Blankenship, Sr. , Mr. Kyle Cooper, Grant Rodiek, and Maxis would you consider selling the original Sims 3 game that was published in 2009, on disc with key codes.

A lot of players don't want Origin, me included, due to complications it causes, and it is only beneficial for Sims 4 now.
When trying to install the game recently, hoping to install without Origin, I was forced to install Origin in order to install the game.

oibpfq.jpg

The reason why I wanted to remove Origin is because it is causing problems, but it is tied to the game so we can't remove it.

To the best of my ability I determined the latest problem I experienced with the game, was Origin related.
It was the fruit from the Bohemian Garden Set was no longer available in the grocery stores for sale.
The grocery stores used to sell this fruit from this Set, but I noticed it was still in the game (buy debug) but the plants were not showing up
(I had placed the fruit trees, and plants in various places throughout the game) and they weren't in the grocery stores anymore.
How I determined this is Origin related, is because the game is on EA servers, and I also have the game installed on a laptop that doesn't
have Sims 4 on it, so Origin use is very minimal.
When I checked to see if the fruit was available in the grocery store on the game on the laptop, it was.
And also one other game Origin handed out for free (Zumas Revenge) is no longer working on the computer Origin
is on. (desktop)

Origin keeps requesting update, every time I open it to play a new session, and I had opened it to sign in & it had
requested me to update it. After it was updated, a few days later noticed the fruit was no longer for sale in the grocery
stores.

I had tried to keep that game ( on the laptop) from upgrading to 1.69 patch, forcing us to have to interact with Origin, but I was unsuccessful.
But I rolled my system back with system restore, and was able to go back to patch 1.67.

The game I had the problem with the fruit not being for sale in the grocery store was on the desktop I have the game on, that I did allow
the upgrade to 1.69, because I had bought 2 stuff packs through Origin, but wasn't able to install them on my
computer, because my game wasn't updated to the latest patch (1.69).

But now having Sims 3 on EA servers is causing problems, as changes we don't want can be made to our game through Origin.

And the disc sold in stores by EA with Sims 3 on them is not the original game disc that was sold in 2009.
This disc with the game on it sold in stores requires the player to install Origin on their system.

The older disc with the game (2009) doesn't require Origin to be installed.

The older disc is being sold in other places, but the game requires a validation code, and there is no guarantee the buyer will receive
this code.

Players should not have to go through so much trouble to avoid a software that interferes with the game, just to be able to play a game.

here are a few threads discussing this topic:
http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/902373/ea-you-are-violating-your-own-terms/p1
http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/940372/must-be-a-glitch-fruit-all-of-a-sudden-not-available-in-grocery-store#latest

Comments

• Options
    SapriSimsSapriSims Posts: 7 New Member
    I really hope they consider this! why have the sims 3 launcher if we also need origin? + i really like the idea of not having to have those validation codes , i am so unorganized i lost half of my EP's :(
  • Options
    cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    edited July 2018
    Did you ever try the steps that I linked in your other thread?

The person from this thread had the exact same problem as yours re; Bohemian Fruits & Nuts not showing up in the grocery or buy debug.
    https://nonasims.wordpress.com/2014/03/14/bohemian-fruits-and-nuts-plants-wont-grow/

I still think your problem there is with your game files. I don't understand why you're talking about the game servers. It's not a typical online multiplayer game so I'm not sure what you mean there. The game files are all on your computer. TS3 hasn't been updated in years. EA wouldn't throw out a random update to make store content not available in grocery stores. All signs indicate that your files are the ones that are glitching.

Sounds like you're stuck in the never ending Origin updating loop. I had that too. I think the fix is either you setting up Administration rights for it, or totally reinstalling it again.

Edit: EA are within their rights to do whatever they want with the game. We only have the licence to play it. We don't own the software. I'm lucky to have an all pre-2012 install, but that's just the way things are. If they were to turn away from Origin it would only create problems for their current games. Sorry I just don't think it's something they would be willing to do :confused:
  • Options
    SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    edited July 2018
    coco wrote: »
    Did you ever try the steps that I linked in your other thread?

The person from this thread had the exact same problem as yours re; Bohemian Fruits & Nuts not showing up in the grocery or buy debug.
    https://nonasims.wordpress.com/2014/03/14/bohemian-fruits-and-nuts-plants-wont-grow/

I still think your problem there is with your game files. I don't understand why you're talking about the game servers. It's not a typical online multiplayer game so I'm not sure what you mean there. The game files are all on your computer. TS3 hasn't been updated in years. EA wouldn't throw out a random update to make store content not available in grocery stores. All signs indicate that your files are the ones that are glitching.

Sounds like you're stuck in the never ending Origin updating loop. I had that too. I think the fix is either you setting up Administration rights for it, or totally reinstalling it again.

Edit: EA are within their rights to do whatever they want with the game. We only have the licence to play it. We don't own the software. I'm lucky to have an all pre-2012 install, but that's just the way things are. If they were to turn away from Origin it would only create problems for their current games. Sorry I just don't think it's something they would be willing to do :confused:

The problem has been resolved for a few days now and this is not a request to resolve particular issue. (fruit from Bohemian Garden set)

Its a request for them to sell the original game on the disc with the key codes.

no never tried whatever someone else did to resolve their issue. And no it is / not a corrupted ccmerged file.
    What I did try: to uninstall the games, and Origin, and re install without Origin and learned I couldn't.
    Then learned I had to re install everything in the store, because someone said it maybe a corrupted ccmerged file.
    That's 30 + pages of store bought stuff, and ELEVEN store bought worlds.
    Then in disgust shut it down for about a week.
    Then tried again and learned something was done on their end because the fruit is now available in the grocery stores.

edit: and I did try to uninstall Origin and re install it. Didn't work and there is nothing EA would lose by selling
    the original Sims 3 game on disc without Origin.
    All the players who are going to play Sims 4 are already set.
    Its the players who play Sims 3 that are getting pushed around and its not fair.
    Sims 3 is a more complete game and more money was spent on it and you can believe EA used
    part of that money if not all of those profits to help build Sims 4.
    And I'm not asking to own any software, just play it as I paid to do
    As far as what EA will do or not, that is their decision.
    The game is already paid for by the player, and there is nothing else EA can get from the player at this point.
  • Options
    cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    If you want your issue to be noticed more, maybe a petition, letter or email to the Gurus might help.

I'm glad that you eventually solved your problem with the Bohemian fruits. I can't understand why you wouldn't take my previous advice and read how other people solved the exact same niche problem that you had though.

It sounds like your store content was fixed by the full re-install rather than a new Origin update. I know you're frustrated but definitely make a full backup of all your content so if this were to happen again, the process would be much easier. Backups are crucial for this game :smile:
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited July 2018
    You can still buy a new 2009 version on disk from an Amazon merchant for $18.99 + $3.98 shipping. That's where I bought mine when patch 1.69 came out, in case I ever needed to reinstall the game. You might want to contact the seller and make sure it is the 2009 version, in case they're using an old photo but selling the 2012 version. If they don't, there are plenty of other sellers that come up with the other buying options, and you should be able to find one that does have the 2009 disk.

Sims 3 2009 version

Edit: Oh, and by the way, if you get a used version and can't use the code, your code from the 2012 version will work. I know, because I tried it out by installing it on my laptop from that disk right after I bought it, with a code I already had.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    coco wrote: »
    If you want your issue to be noticed more, maybe a petition, letter or email to the Gurus might help.

I'm glad that you eventually solved your problem with the Bohemian fruits. I can't understand why you wouldn't take my previous advice and read how other people solved the exact same niche problem that you had though.

It sounds like your store content was fixed by the full re-install rather than a new Origin update. I know you're frustrated but definitely make a full backup of all your content so if this were to happen again, the process would be much easier. Backups are crucial for this game :smile:

Coco it was not my problem, its something that was done from server side end.
    Think about it there is nothing a player could've done to cause the grocery stores that are rabbit holes
    not to sell a specific item. In this case the fruit from the Bohemian Garden set so don't chastise me about this or
    making back ups that you assume I don't do, but I do.
    If I thought the back up is what was needed to restore the game, I would've done it, but I'm not stupid.
    that's why I made this thread
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16520940#Comment_16520940
    It required more than the back up of the game.
    All I did was re install things from the launcher and nothing else.
    Went to bed, left the game alone for a week.
    Went to fire it up after a week and its all fixed ?
    I had un-installed the games from my computer, and Origin, tried to install by disc, but it was forcing me to
    install Origin again.
    Then all of a sudden its all fixed up ? Where did the files for the games come from ?
    You're telling me there is no back up of the game files on EA's servers ?
    Don't believe it.

And evidence my game files were not corrupted is nothing else negative happened in my game.
    Corruption is not limited to showing just one (selective) sign.
    It is not always the players fault. Noticed with other games EA takes the same attitude, its the players fault.
    No its not.
    This may be a teen rated game but there are a lot of adults who play it, who were already raised.

I also find it very interesting how someone mentioned to me about cc content and the exact site I
    had downloaded some things from.
    If the problem is cc from a specific site, don't put players in the middle of it.
    And how would anyone know the exact site I downloaded cc from if all the files are on the players computer.
    Don't believe that at all. If that were true, then they wouldn't have to validate a player has an account to play.
    They wouldn't need Origin.

Oh and thanks for the warning about needing back up, funny how this game played almost perfectly without needing back up prior to EA forcing us to use Origin to play it. Hope that's not a threat, because happen to know one
    word from someone on this site and their game is restored.
    Maybe find something else to do than **** around with peoples games. :/

Don't take it personal about me not taking your previous advice.
    I believe you were saying it was a corrupt ccmerged file ?
    I read that information in that link about the corrupt ccmerged file, it requires creating a new Sims 3 folder, and letting
    the game generate a new one.
    Then in the process you have to re install everything from the launcher, if its there to create a new ccmerged file.
    In my case I re downloaded everything.
    I tried to create a new game folder but just got a black screen.

It was fixed by someone else not me, and I am grateful.

Now I'd like Origin to be gone from my system tyvm. I have that right. I paid for everything that is used in the Sims 3 game,
    I should be able to play it without interference.

EA didn't tell us a contingency of buying their game would be to accept a software head ache like Origin.
    This should have been divulged before making the sale. The sale is a contract, and now we are being forced to accept
    terms of a contract we had no opportunity to agree to or disagree with.

I updated Origin and had problems, not supposed to work that way.

EA wouldn't lose anything if they sold the original game on disc with the codes, they'd make a profit because its not just
    me who wants to be free from Origin, and just play their game.

I have Sims 4 on one system with Sims 3 and Sims 3 by itself on another system, don't know what else they want from me.
    ironically the system with Origin on it is the one that had the problem. I dread looking at my Sims 4 game saves, they've probably been culled by now anyway. And one of the free games Origin passed out doesn't function anymore now.

I on the other hand know what I want from them, the ability to play a game I paid money to play.

Post edited by Sapientsimsolid on
  • Options
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    You can still buy a new 2009 version on disk from an Amazon merchant for $18.99 + $3.98 shipping. That's where I bought mine when patch 1.69 came out, in case I ever needed to reinstall the game. You might want to contact the seller and make sure it is the 2009 version, in case they're using an old photo but selling the 2012 version. If they don't, there are plenty of other sellers that come up with the other buying options, and you should be able to find one that does have the 2009 disk.

Sims 3 2009 version

Edit: Oh, and by the way, if you get a used version and can't use the code, your code from the 2012 version will work. I know, because I tried it out by installing it on my laptop from that disk right after I bought it, with a code I already had.

thanks for the information. I'll check it out.
    but imo EA should sell the original game on a disc.
    It was what we originally paid for.
    Why are we running around like chickens with our heads cut off
    looking for this or that, or trying to fix this or that ?
  • Options
    ScottDemonScottDemon Posts: 504 Member
    faytheful wrote: »

Sims 3 2009 version

Actually they do still sell/produce the original pre-2012 Base Game discs just in very limited quantities that's how these specialty dealers get them and I've noticed it's always the same dealers year after year that sell them but for how long that will last is unknown.
    I'm just a little bit crazy LOL
    Okay actually I'm totally and completely nuts LOL :p
  • Options
    ScottDemon wrote: »

Sims 3 2009 version

Actually they do still sell/produce the original pre-2012 Base Game discs just in very limited quantities that's how these specialty dealers get them and I've noticed it's always the same dealers year after year that sell them but for how long that will last is unknown.

High 5 to you, was just thinking that myself tonight believe it or not, because I started wondering where is Amazon and Ebay getting them from.
    This has been a whoopsy roller coaster ride just to play a game I tell ya.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    ScottDemon wrote: »

Sims 3 2009 version

High 5 to you, was just thinking that myself tonight believe it or not, because I started wondering where is Amazon and Ebay getting them from.
    This has been a whoopsy roller coaster ride just to play a game I tell ya.

And if you take look around Amazon you can still find new never opened Sims 2 discs. As long as it makes money EA will still produce them but in very limited quantities. Same goes with any other game company as long as it sells they will still produce them until it no longer does. I've found new unopened game discs for games that where made as far back as 1995.

Another case in point even though officially Sony no longer mass produces PS 1 and PS 2 consoles you can still find new ones as they still do make a very very limited number of them every year.
  • Options
    They must be partners with Amazon :D
    Billionaires hanging out club.
    Thanks for the information, but have all the Sims 2 discs, and they tried to put that on Origin too, shudder.
    I don't play the one on Origin though, just the one I can get to on my desktop.
    Though one day that might not work either because Microsoft likes to fiddle with things too :/
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    How about a complete TS3 with all EPs, SPs and Store content as well as final bug fixes and can work on 64 bit? :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    How about a complete TS3 with all EPs, SPs and Store content as well as final bug fixes and can work on 64 bit? :smile:

lol we can dream
  • Options
    edited July 2018

A TS3 UC possible with full Store no but probably only the Store Worlds included. Bug fixes :D no. 64bit executable only if they realize it'll make them a lot more money.
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member

that's really interesting I never knew that :)

• Options
    AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    Electronic Arts: Mr. Troy Blankenship, Sr. , Mr. Kyle Cooper, Grant Rodiek, and Maxis would you consider selling the original Sims 3 game that was published in 2009, on disc with key codes.
    I just read this, I'm sorry, but discs are dead media. I bet that the physical form of discs is less durable than Origin. Perhaps the Origin issue should be solved in a different way, I wish you will find a solution... Good luck!
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    A lot of players don't want Origin, me included, due to complications it causes, and it is only beneficial for Sims 4 now.
    When trying to install the game recently, hoping to install without Origin, I was forced to install Origin in order to install the game.

Do you have access to a Mac? The Mac version does not require Origin to install or run, just to download the packs you own. Once downloaded you can even delete Origin from the Mac and you will still be able to play the game.

Of course, the Mac version has its own issues, and workarounds are needed to get it running, but it is still possible to play it in macOS. And without Origin ;)
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    I am going to start by saying I love my disks and would not part with them. It is good to hear there is a limited supply of disks still being made but the reality is EA has moved into the digital age and therefore expects us, the players, to go along with that. If ever the company get round to thinking about an UC or a major upgrade to 64 bit it is likely to be available through digital download only. Just for information, on a recent thread, the subject of a theoretical upgrade was discussed and it was made clear there would be limitations on the upgrade depending on which way it was achieved. For example the preferred option would involve a rewrite to take advantage of the 64 bit which in turn might mean new bugs.

So it would seem the best solution for you OP, is as suggested, to get your hands on a 2009 disk. Then you might find it useful to look at this thread
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/935445/patch-install-status-as-of-dec-2017-store-patch-download-removed#latest

Good Luck in getting it sorted out.

I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    The other non-origin option would be Steam. They offer sales pretty frequently too.
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I just read this, I'm sorry, but discs are dead media. I bet that the physical form of discs is less durable than Origin. Perhaps the Origin issue should be solved in a different way, I wish you will find a solution... Good luck!

responding to your bold part:
    not really. It would garner EA money and help those who just want to play the game without Origin problems.
    win win.
    Sims 4 will serve their purposes of earning more money. Sims 3 is no longer supported really, so they can't make that much more money off of it, unless they do something like this.
    Think you mean the cost to make the discs, distribution etc. but if you think about all the Sims 3 players who would pay $10 - $12 for a one time deal like this, think there would be a profit.
    There would be little distribution costs if it were only sold in 2/3 places, and players were informed beforehand.
    The only real cost would be to burn the discs.
    Anyone can do that on a desktop home computer :/

Have a 25 package of DVD's here with 4.7 GB space (more than enough) for $17.00.
    At this rate it would take 20 packages to make discs for 500 customers.
    At this price range for 20 packages of DVD's, the total would be $340.00
    A disc with original Sims 3 on it sold for $10.00 to about 500 customers, the profit would be $5,000.
    $4660 left after deducting the cost of the discs, only thing left is distribution.
    This is just a rough draft, it can be fine tuned or tweaked in a variety of areas, but the bottom line is any way
    you look at it, there is a profit to be had.

• Options

Do you have access to a Mac? The Mac version does not require Origin to install or run, just to download the packs you own. Once downloaded you can even delete Origin from the Mac and you will still be able to play the game.

Of course, the Mac version has its own issues, and workarounds are needed to get it running, but it is still possible to play it in macOS. And without Origin ;)

hi ty for your information. Yes, Mac has its own issues :) but your information is insightful and useful to keep as an Ace.
    Right now I'm waiting for a disc I purchased to see if its the original of Sims 3.
    If it is I'll be okay, but if its not, have to come up with something else (keeping your suggesting in mind)
  • Options
    I am going to start by saying I love my disks and would not part with them. It is good to hear there is a limited supply of disks still being made but the reality is EA has moved into the digital age and therefore expects us, the players, to go along with that. If ever the company get round to thinking about an UC or a major upgrade to 64 bit it is likely to be available through digital download only. Just for information, on a recent thread, the subject of a theoretical upgrade was discussed and it was made clear there would be limitations on the upgrade depending on which way it was achieved. For example the preferred option would involve a rewrite to take advantage of the 64 bit which in turn might mean new bugs.

So it would seem the best solution for you OP, is as suggested, to get your hands on a 2009 disk. Then you might find it useful to look at this thread
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/935445/patch-install-status-as-of-dec-2017-store-patch-download-removed#latest

Good Luck in getting it sorted out.

ty Ms. Boop, working on it ;)
  • Options
    Goulsquash wrote: »
    The other non-origin option would be Steam. They offer sales pretty frequently too.

yes, its good to know Steam is another option. ty
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited July 2018
    @ScottDemon I don't believe they are making discs anymore. The sims 3 team left a long time ago. What you find on the web for sale are leftovers. This goes for sony playstation 1 and 2 also. Some classic games are sold on the PS store for download on PS3 and some on PS4. Some are being remade entirely or upgraded.

It's more expensive to make the discs. EA makes allot more profit with downloads. . Many new computers are no longer installing disc drives. EA use to have the download version not tied into origin. I have that version installed in my computer. EA is not going to get rid of origin. It stops the game from being pirated. Any new EA games are tied into origin and can not be bought on other DRM like steam etc. EA wants you buying their games directly from them only. I'm sure they have a contract with steam for TS3 which could end at any time. Once that happens, you will only be able to get TS3 through Origin or buy a left over disc. The only way they will release TS3 DRM free is if they stop selling TS3 like they have done with TS2 UC download.

@faytheful if you want to play without origin or without the 1.69 patch, you need to play all disc ( no download from origin) , play on Mac which is problematic or re-buy the whole game on steam and uninstall the origin version of the game. Once EA's contract ends with steam you may have no choice but to play on origin only.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    @phoebebebe13 One of the specialty sellers that was willing to answer when asked about it said they get about 50 discs of the Base Game and each EP and SP every year from EA. Moreover if it was just left overs as you say it wouldn't be the exact same dealers every single year. I also know someone who works in one of Sony's manufacturing facilities and he has said they still make a small number of PS 1's and 2's for specialty dealers.

EA already tried that and backed down while new games won't be sold on Steam unless EA wants which still did happen until 2016 the older games can't be removed from Steam without violating the contract they have with Valve. In other words EA didn't read the fine print when they first started selling them on Steam.
    Besides Gabe Newell the owner of Valve used to work for MS and isn't the type of person to make contract unless it's ironclad in his favor.

*Edit*
    I wouldn't be to sure they won't get rid of Origin. As Origin is actually the 4th digital download manger they've had.
    EA Downloader was first, EA Link 2nd, EA Download Manager 3rd and then finally Origin.
    Oh wait I forgot about Pogo which they still use for Indy Studios
    Post edited by ScottDemon on