Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you want story progression?

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2018
    Yes
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    the amount of people voting for plain yes kinda scares me lol.
    assuming it's mccc style, i only want it for certain saves. no way do i want all of my sims getting divorced and having random children and moving wherever they please.
    I actually considered voting the toggle but chose ‘yes’ because for me it’s yes, and not ‘only if there’s a toggle’. That doesn’t mean I’d mind a toggle, in general a toggle would be best. It just means for me personally it wouldn’t be necessary because I’d never disable the feature. I’m not a rotational player not care to be one. That’s how I interpreted it, from my own personal perspective. My yes most certainly doesn’t mean “and I don’t care about those who don’t want it”. Of course a toggle if possible. If a toggle wouldn’t be possible? Then definitely SP for me.

Then I should have voted NO. But I was considerate enough to think about other simmers and having options is always best.
    Indeed, following my interpretation you could have voted no, if you’d never use SP. This poll is about liking SP in the game, not about yes or no toggles. I can’t imagine there’s a simmer in this world who would vote against other options for fellow players. Sorry but that’s such an open door for me that I wouldn’t even call it considerate. Just obvious. The third option for me represents those simmers who’d like to use both options in their game.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Only if we can toggle it off
    Because I rather toggle what does and does not progress, I'm very controlling and I rotate Households, and I don't want anything major to happen without my say so, that could mess up my story.

For Example: Here's just a list of individual toggles I personally would want

Toggle on, Relationship Maintenance - Maintains the relationships of sims, "Good Friends," "Enemies," or "Dating" or Higher
    Toggle off, Relationship Advancement - Sim will work on their relationships of sims who are "Friends" or "Dating"
    Toggle on, Skill Building - Sims will work on Skill
    Toggle off, Career/School Advancement - Sim will advance in school/career paths.
    Toggle off, Family Building: Sims will actively try to have children, (Limit 2-3 Children on their own)
    Toggle on, Occult Creation, Occults will actively Seek Turning/Procreating/with other Occults and Humans

that's the only way i could deal with it.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    No
    No, I play rotationally and story progression is what stopped me from enjoying TS3 to the fullest.
  • Options
    barraakenobarraakeno Posts: 489 Member
    Yes
    Yep because it's really boring to know that every single sim, besides the premades ones, are single, don't have a job and don't have a "story to tell'
    Brazilian guy here, so my English is not that good.

fB7mWIn.gif
    Spinning toilets confurm3d!!!!11!!1!1!!!!11!
  • Options
    barraakenobarraakeno Posts: 489 Member
    Yes
    assuming it's mccc style, i only want it for certain saves. no way do i want all of my sims getting divorced and having random children and moving wherever they please.

Well... the question was "Do you want... ?" not "How do you think it should be implemented in a way that's good for every one?" Actually I don't think the "only if there's a toggle" is a valid choice for this poll, it's like asking: "Do like apples?" "Yes" "No" "only if I can choose to eat other fruits as well"
    Brazilian guy here, so my English is not that good.

fB7mWIn.gif
    Spinning toilets confurm3d!!!!11!!1!1!!!!11!
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    No
    barraakeno wrote: »

Well... the question was "Do you want... ?" not "How do you think it should be implemented in a way that's good for every one?" Actually I don't think the "only if there's a toggle" is a valid choice for this poll, it's like asking: "Do like apples?" "Yes" "No" "only if I can choose to eat other fruits as well"

I disagree, I think the "only if there's a toggle" is perfectly valid for example for the people who play several saves, some they'd like to have story progression with, and some they don't.
  • Options
    GodleyjeansGodleyjeans Posts: 336 Member
    Yes
    Story progression is a big thing for me but I respect those who don’t want it, obviously my vote is YES but of course add a toggle ability so those who aren’t story progression fans can switch it off and return the game to normal so they still have that control.

I was there for sims 3 and as much as I loved the surprises, they were also sort of annoying if I went to so and sos house to find out he or she were married already with a family.

Add it, all the bells and whistles just throw them all into a nice big patch but also add the ability to turn it off, that way everybody is happy! Plus some progression fans might want to stop progression itself a couple times so they don’t lose so and so to somebody else, basically run it for a bit and then switch it off when they have the desired population boost.

There’s no perfect outcome but options are needed for everyone.
  • Options
    TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    Yes
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    Because I rather toggle what does and does not progress, I'm very controlling and I rotate Households, and I don't want anything major to happen without my say so, that could mess up my story.

For Example: Here's just a list of individual toggles I personally would want

Toggle on, Relationship Maintenance - Maintains the relationships of sims, "Good Friends," "Enemies," or "Dating" or Higher
    Toggle off, Relationship Advancement - Sim will work on their relationships of sims who are "Friends" or "Dating"
    Toggle on, Skill Building - Sims will work on Skill
    Toggle off, Career/School Advancement - Sim will advance in school/career paths.
    Toggle off, Family Building: Sims will actively try to have children, (Limit 2-3 Children on their own)
    Toggle on, Occult Creation, Occults will actively Seek Turning/Procreating/with other Occults and Humans

that's the only way i could deal with it.

I personally voted "yes" and would play with all these toggled on, but I love this idea. I could see a rotational player having just Relationship Maintenance turned on.
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I've never played TS3, so I don't know what SP was like in that iteration. Coming from a TS2 mindset, I wouldn't want SP. I'm used to being in control of my game and all the premades. I don't play with premades very much, but I wouldn't want all the single Sims to be possibly automatically paired up and unavailable for my Sim to date and/or marry eventually. I use them for mates when doing challenges that require my Sim to marry and progress with children.

But, having said that, I know many others love SP, so I'd rather it was a toggle option so it would be available for those Simmers to use. The tagline is supposed to be "You Rule." Not "This is how we want you to play, deal with it!" :)

Just my two cents... Happy Simming! <3
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    No
    It's been stated by SimGuruGrant that Sims 4 does actually already have some sort of story progression. Grant also said it's a tricky thing because it means something different to everyone.

So the real question is, what exactly is story progression to you? What exactly would you expect it to do?

Personally, I'm just fine with the way things are now. I have a bazillion households and the last thing I want is my personally created townies to start shacking up and making babies. I don't want a bunch of kids and families running around my game. I don't want my Penny Dreadful or Sherlock or Game of Thrones, etc characters getting forced into ridiculous family units or thrown into careers that don't make any sense for them. My gawd, it would drive me berserk. I already lose my mind when the game selects one of my Sims for some random npc job, like the yoga instructor or pianist or bartender.

And that's what (more agressive) story progression means to me. So, no thank you.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Ona_SimmerOna_Simmer Posts: 60 Member
    I don't really care for anyone out my sim family tree, and I have no problem arranging all 13 of my children marriages anyway.
    Origin Name : Ona_Simmer

HC9IknO.png

• Options
    SapriSimsSapriSims Posts: 7 New Member
    yes! i wish they had master controller for sims 4
  • Options
    poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member

the question isn't "do you like story progression", your apple analogy is... apples and oranges. (hahA)
    i like story progression, but if the only way to implement it is by forcing it onto every single one of my saves then i certainly don't want it regardless of how much i like it.
    to me voting plain "yes" implies that you want it at all costs. confirmed by this post. tumblr_inline_mpl4ofWS2s1qz4rgp.gif
    I actually considered voting the toggle but chose ‘yes’ because for me it’s yes, and not ‘only if there’s a toggle’. (...) Of course a toggle if possible. If a toggle wouldn’t be possible? Then definitely SP for me.

anyway, all of the choices are "valid", yours is too. i was only sharing my opinion. :)
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• Options
    ceinwynieceinwynie Posts: 162 Member
    Yes
    Yes, since The Sims 4 was released, I always played the game vanilla, no mods at all, but this week I saw that all the houses were empty and I decided to download and try MCC and I'm so pleased with it, now I can see offspring get married, have children, move to another house, I love it! I think it improves the game when you are a family/legacy player.
  • Options
    MeskenasBoiiMeskenasBoii Posts: 39 Member
    edited July 2018
    For different saves.

Honestly, "yes" or "no" just puts an excuse for gurus to skip over and dismiss an interest of an particular group of players based on such statistics pulled out from a pole. Either It's posted on discussion board than feedback or kept it (the pole idea) to yourself. Don't of these would help in any way apart from getting to know who and what each likes.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited July 2018
    TOGGLES should be an option for rotational players like me.

ETA: I do like some SP, but I want toggles and varied options to control it like the NRAAS mod.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Yes
    LiELF wrote: »
    It's been stated by SimGuruGrant that Sims 4 does actually already have some sort of story progression. Grant also said it's a tricky thing because it means something different to everyone.

So the real question is, what exactly is story progression to you? What exactly would you expect it to do?

Personally, I'm just fine with the way things are now. I have a bazillion households and the last thing I want is my personally created townies to start shacking up and making babies. I don't want a bunch of kids and families running around my game. I don't want my Penny Dreadful or Sherlock or Game of Thrones, etc characters getting forced into ridiculous family units or thrown into careers that don't make any sense for them. My gawd, it would drive me berserk. I already lose my mind when the game selects one of my Sims for some random npc job, like the yoga instructor or pianist or bartender.

And that's what (more agressive) story progression means to me. So, no thank you.
    It does mean something different to everyone, like so many features so I don’t really understand the argument in that. It’s not like they are having problems with dictating scripts to players in this iteration, Sims 4 is full of that. It would only work if they’d think it through properly and enable people to make choices. What I’d expect: couples getting together autonomously, having babies and getting jobs (related to their traits). And progressing in those jobs. No SP at all to me feels very unrealistic in a life simulation game, as if the people surrounding your sims aren’t leading actual lives, they feel like walking furniture. I’d also be fine with a manual system by the way, like Mastercontroller, where you can choose per family if you want them to become pregnant or have a job. Then the player would be in control at all times. I like the surprises though, I don’t want to control everything. Surprises are part of life.

the question isn't "do you like story progression", your apple analogy is... apples and oranges. (hahA)
    i like story progression, but if the only way to implement it is by forcing it onto every single one of my saves then i certainly don't want it regardless of how much i like it.
    to me voting plain "yes" implies that you want it at all costs. confirmed by this post. tumblr_inline_mpl4ofWS2s1qz4rgp.gif
    I actually considered voting the toggle but chose ‘yes’ because for me it’s yes, and not ‘only if there’s a toggle’. (...) Of course a toggle if possible. If a toggle wouldn’t be possible? Then definitely SP for me.

anyway, all of the choices are "valid", yours is too. i was only sharing my opinion. :)
    Yes, but your opinion was based on the idea everybody voting ‘yes’ did so because they want to impose SP on everyone. That’s not what ‘yes’ means to the yes sayers was what I was trying to explain. You were indirectly accusing people who vote yes of being inconsiderate of others, wanting to have things their way. You’re misinterpreting our yes. You can have an opinion but not about my or somebody else’s motives. We have every right to object to that. “No SP when there is no toggle” is completely comparable to “if a toggle wouldn’t be possible then definitely SP for me”. Because doesn’t that imply you don’t want SP at all costs? Following your interpretation we’d all have voted ‘a toggle’ and we’d still not know how many would like SP in their game.
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    No

It does mean something different to everyone, like so many features so I don’t really understand the argument in that. It’s not like they are having problems with dictating scripts to players in this iteration, Sims 4 is full of that. It would only work if they’d think it through properly and enable people to make choices. What I’d expect: couples getting together autonomously, having babies and getting jobs (related to their traits). And progressing in those jobs. No SP at all to me feels very unrealistic in a life simulation game, as if the people surrounding your sims aren’t leading actual lives, they feel like walking furniture. I’d also be fine with a manual system by the way, like Mastercontroller, where you can choose per family if you want them to become pregnant or have a job. Then the player would be in control at all times. I like the surprises though, I don’t want to control everything. Surprises are part of life.

Yes, but your opinion was based on the idea everybody voting ‘yes’ did so because they want to impose SP on everyone. That’s not what ‘yes’ means to the yes sayers was what I was trying to explain. You were indirectly accusing people who vote yes or no of being inconsiderate of others, wanting to have things their way. You’re misinterpreting our yes and no. You can have an opinion but not about my or somebody else’s motives. We have every right to object to that.

I think one of the main obstacles for this would be just how many toggles would be needed in order to offer proper customization. A simple on/off would work, of course, but then how would they incorporate it for people who want more same sex families as opposed to traditional? It would be in bad taste to exclude LGBT+ progression after patching in that big CAS inclusive update. Would couples be completely randomized altogether? Would it be productive, or even possible, to make a customization panel for exactly what each player wants in order to offer more possibilities? We've been told before that the more toggles they put in, the higher the risk of game issues.

So with that in mind, I've weighed in whether I think it's ultimately worth it and I honestly don't. But you never know, there could be a way to do it that would actually work out for a lot of people and still allow me to not use it and not risk major game bugs. I'm not a developer so I really don't know what is ultimately possible.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Yes

Yes, but your opinion was based on the idea everybody voting ‘yes’ did so because they want to impose SP on everyone. That’s not what ‘yes’ means to the yes sayers was what I was trying to explain. You were indirectly accusing people who vote yes or no of being inconsiderate of others, wanting to have things their way. You’re misinterpreting our yes and no. You can have an opinion but not about my or somebody else’s motives. We have every right to object to that.

I think one of the main obstacles for this would be just how many toggles would be needed in order to offer proper customization. A simple on/off would work, of course, but then how would they incorporate it for people who want more same sex families as opposed to traditional? It would be in bad taste to exclude LGBT+ progression after patching in that big CAS inclusive update. Would couples be completely randomized altogether? Would it be productive, or even possible, to make a customization panel for exactly what each player wants in order to offer more possibilities? We've been told before that the more toggles they put in, the higher the risk of game issues.

So with that in mind, I've weighed in whether I think it's ultimately worth it and I honestly don't. But you never know, there could be a way to do it that would actually work out for a lot of people and still allow me to not use it and not risk major game bugs. I'm not a developer so I really don't know what is ultimately possible.
    Yes, I indeed think the technical aspect here can’t be ignored (so my yes might very well be the yes of a dreamer and not possible). Sims 3’s SP was a hot mess and though NRaas SP sounds like heaven to me, I don’t dare to install it because I hear it seriously slows down your game. It’s not worth that for me (so I stick to the manual MC method in TS3). As for the LGBT aspect, that in fact did work properly in Sims 3 - and also in 2 even I believe - so that they can do.

Is it true by the way there’s a mod for Sims 4 that adds SP..? That would mean it is possible isn’t it?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    @JoAnne65

You can add story progression through MCCC.

It is very basic, sims pretty much only get married, form relationships and get pregnant (at least I haven't noticed anything more in my own game) but to me personally that's better than nothing :)
  • Options
    DaemonPawsDaemonPaws Posts: 192 Member
    Personally, it's a yes, but I don't really see the point of doing it if it is going to ruin the game for other simmers. It should absolutely be implemented, but it should be done correctly and they should take the time to make sure there is a toggle option that works before putting it into the game. Otherwise, add it in as an optional update somehow so some of us can have it and others can pass if they prefer.
    Origin - DaemonPaws
  • Options
    Yes
    agustd wrote: »
    @JoAnne65

You can add story progression through MCCC.

It is very basic, sims pretty much only get married, form relationships and get pregnant (at least I haven't noticed anything more in my own game) but to me personally that's better than nothing :)
    It certainly is. And can you set it? Because if a modder can do that, why wouldn’t the developers of the game?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    Yes, but your opinion was based on the idea everybody voting ‘yes’ did so because they want to impose SP on everyone.
    no, that's not what my opinion is. my opinion is that voting "yes" means you want it at all costs. that's how i interpret it, and that's how i think the devs will interpret it if they see it. i think that sort of attitude gives devs the leeway to forego giving simmers options/toggles.
    i did not say voting "yes" means you "want to impose story progression" on others, i said it means you don't care if it is imposed. you may very well like a toggle too, but if there is no toggle you do not mind.
    again, that's just how i interpreted it and it made me nervous, but you are right that perhaps many "yes" voters did not interpret it the same way as i did.
    Because doesn’t that imply you don’t want SP at all costs?
    yes, it does imply that and you are welcome to call me inconsiderate if you like (although i never said that about any of you). but you won't lose anything from not having story progression. the game already lacks story progression and it's not advertised as having story progression.
    on the other hand, suddenly adding forced story progression will ruin many people's games.

anyway i am done defending myself here, i stand by what i said. feel free to insightful bomb me. :relaxed:
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited July 2018
    Yeah, if there is no choice and no ability to do cheats with controlling Story Progression, then I’m out.

I’m not interested in being shut out of a Sims game again after Sims 3, so I’m going to be pretty loud and vocal about the SP thing being done properly with options, or an on/off toggle, for rotational players.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    I don't even want time progression, let alone story progression!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Such things make any sane attempt at rotational play among several families in one game save total FUBAR. When I park my sims in a particular condition when I go off to the next family, I expect to find them there when I get back to them, not no telling where doing no idea what. I like how TS1 & TS2 handle it, have been doing it that way since 2000, and not inclined to change now. I know that other simmers play and feel differently, so that is why I vote for the option. Options are good -the more the better, being told how we are to play is not.