Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is this a good Computer?

Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
Hi fellow simmers,
I am possibly looking into buying a desktop that can play sims 4 in its entirety with ultra settings. I am not sure whether I will do this at this time or not, but I did find a seemingly decent desktop at bestbuy that’s on sale. I am not 100 percent sure I am going to buy this now or not but am curious if this type of desktop can run sims 4 well.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-vr-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-series-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hard-drive-black/6128510.p?skuId=6128510

Here is the link to the desktop. I also found this one too, but am unsure which is better. Cyber power is a brand I am very unfamiliar with. I usually go dell but didn’t want to for a gaming desktop. Too expensive.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-1400-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-1tb-hard-drive-black/5833100.p?skuId=5833100

I may not buy either right now but am curious if this a good brand of desktops and if it’s worth purchasing.

Edit: I also want to add that nothing is wrong with my current laptop but it is under the recommended requirements. I haven’t played in months because I do not want to shorten its lifespan. I really really miss playing sims, it’s been my hobby for years.

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    cyberpower is a known gaming company. I own two cyberpower desktops. they would be far better than dell. Dell desktops don't have great cooling and they are very hard to upgrade or switch out hardware. Your case size, room for changing or upgrading hardware and cooling is just as important as the hardware inside.

Both exceed recommended requirements to run this whole game even when it is complete.

@chesterbigbird is a build expert and can give you some advice since she knows more about AMD than I do
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    edited June 2018
    The second is not available to buy online it seems so here is a similar one.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-master-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-series-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-xtr-1tb-hard-drive-black/6225214.p?skuId=6225214

Plus side with this one is I could buy it now in stores. The other seems a bit stronger but I do not know if it’s necessarily a ton better.
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    They will all play the game fine, The first link is the better one.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

edited June 2018
    @chesterbigbird should I spend the 100 dollars extra on first one in comparison to the last one I posted? It seems like the cpu is a step up on the first one, but what about graphics card wise? 800 is a slight stretch but I could do it if it was significantly better. I’m just slightly leaning towards the cheaper.

Also are AMD processors pretty good? I’ve never used one, I’m used to Intel.

Will they all play on ultra settings?

Lastly could you recommend a cheapish monitor? I want a small one.

Sorry for the questions I just want to have a good idea of what I am getting and that it will run really well. I have never bought a desktop before. Still unsure I’m doing this right this second but it would be good to be prepared on what I need. It seems like this is a good brand and decent hardware from what I’ve researched. Plus it’s a good price.
    Post edited by Akl500P on
    Akl500P wrote: »
    @chesterbigbird should I spend the 100 dollars extra on first one in comparison to the last one I posted? It seems like the cpu is a step up on the first one, but what about graphics card wise? 800 is a slight stretch but I could do it if it was significantly better. I’m just slightly leaning towards the cheaper.

Also are AMD processors pretty good? I’ve never used one, I’m used to Intel.

Will they all play on ultra settings?

Lastly could you recommend a cheapish monitor? I want a small one.

Sorry for the questions I just want to have a good idea of what I am getting and that it will run really well. I have never bought a desktop before. Still unsure I’m doing this right this second but it would be good to be prepared on what I need. It seems like this is a good brand and decent hardware from what I’ve researched. Plus it’s a good price.

Yes the extra $100 would be justified and it's something i would recommend.
    The first will play on ultra as will the last one, But the first is worth the extra $$
    For the monitor:
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/aoc-21-5-ips-led-fhd-monitor-black-silver/5770304.p?skuId=5770304
    It's 21.5I nch And ips screen which is better over the normal LCD (Better crisper colours.)

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

edited June 2018
    Thank you both for the suggestions and the help. I will be purchasing the first one today with the monitor, the whole set up is only 50 dollars above my budget I set with tax. Should be here in a couple weeks which is very exciting since I’m off work for the summer. This seems like a fantastic purchase and I’m really looking forward to playing again.

Update: Just ordered and I cannot wait. I really cannot thank you two enough. I am easily lost with computers and have a hard time telling what is better.
    Post edited by Akl500P on
  • fernandoboalvarezfernandoboalvarez Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello everyone, sorry for my bad english I am thingking in build a new pc or buy a laptop to play the sims 3 and sims 4, can you help me to choose the best option??
    these are the features of the pc
    - AMD RYZEN 3 2200G APU 3.5GHZ
    - RAM XPG Flame 4GB DDR4 2400Mhz
    - Motherboard Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H AMD B350
    - Power Supplier Cooler Master MPX-4501-ACAAB-US / 450W /

And these are the features of the laptop
    - Laptop Asus X Series X555QG
    - AMD A12 9720P
    - Ram 12GB DDR4
    - Video Radeon R7

These feature are enough to run the sims 3 or the sims 4 even in low graphics??, or should i have to think in another options??

Thanks a lot
    Thank you both for the suggestions and the help. I will be purchasing the first one today with the monitor, the whole set up is only 50 dollars above my budget I set with tax. Should be here in a couple weeks which is very exciting since I’m off work for the summer. This seems like a fantastic purchase and I’m really looking forward to playing again.

Update: Just ordered and I cannot wait. I really cannot thank you two enough. I am easily lost with computers and have a hard time telling what is better.

You're Welcome :)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

@chesterbigbird
    Hi again sorry I have two quick questions about the computer I ordered. I am still very very excited about it but wanted to double check a few things after some reading around.

Okay so I have I no clue what power supply this comes with. Older comments on the product say 450W and most newer say it’s 500W. I’m hoping it has been recently updated but I won’t know for sure until I receive it. I know I’ll need to upgrade if not 500 so I’m curious as to what you would recommend just in case I need to upgrade.

Also I found out after looking a bit more that the 8GB RAM is a single stick. In reading around I read dual channel is better. It has 4 slots and supports 64GB so I don’t think upgrading would be a problem, but how do you upgrade to dual channel. Do you have to buy two exactly the same sticks? I’m not planning on upgrading anytime soon, but just want to double check this is doable later down the line.
    @chesterbigbird
    Hi again sorry I have two quick questions about the computer I ordered. I am still very very excited about it but wanted to double check a few things after some reading around.

Okay so I have I no clue what power supply this comes with. Older comments on the product say 450W and most newer say it’s 500W. I’m hoping it has been recently updated but I won’t know for sure until I receive it. I know I’ll need to upgrade if not 500 so I’m curious as to what you would recommend just in case I need to upgrade.

Also I found out after looking a bit more that the 8GB RAM is a single stick. In reading around I read dual channel is better. It has 4 slots and supports 64GB so I don’t think upgrading would be a problem, but how do you upgrade to dual channel. Do you have to buy two exactly the same sticks? I’m not planning on upgrading anytime soon, but just want to double check this is doable later down the line.

Ok so the issue with buying the pre builts from bestbuy (or from anywhere else really) is that Cyberpower is not going to include the best power supply in there it should be 500 watt but it's not going to be the most efficient or best power supply on the market (will be low budget one.) Having said that i wouldn't go upgrading the power supply unless you really need to (having pc shut downs) or if you need or want to upgrade the graphics card then you will need to upgrade the power supply.
    Dual channel is better but it will not really hurt performance all that much only having 1 stick. If you want to upgrade to 2 sticks then you need to buy exactly the same ram or buy a kit (2x4GB or 2x8GB)
    My advice is wait until you have the desktop and if you are happy with the performance then don't worry about the ram. It is completely upgradable so no worries for future upgrades. :)

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Taylor_MTaylor_M Posts: 30 Member
    Hi,
    I own the Sims 4 on console and love the game. I am interested in investing into a new pc as my one now is very old and slow. When it comes to pc specs and requirements I hav no idea whats going on. My budget is less then 950$ and I would like a desktop. Can anyone recommend me some good computers?
    Thanks!
    P.S. I also want to buy the expansions and such and play with cc.