Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game Can't Start (update problem)

1234568...Next

Comments

• AunzaAunza Posts: 1,297 Member

@rosemow

Thank-YOU... I will go see what is offered there.

You Rock!
  • SontsaSontsa Posts: 1 New Member
    I just updated my game since Origin forced me to. And now I can't play at all. Once opening the game, it shows black screen for about a minute and then it quits. I play on Macbook and macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)
    Does anyone have any ideas what to do next? I already did repair my game on Origin but it didn't work. I'm hopeless.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,585 Member
    Sontsa wrote: »
    I just updated my game since Origin forced me to. And now I can't play at all. Once opening the game, it shows black screen for about a minute and then it quits. I play on Macbook and macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)
    Does anyone have any ideas what to do next? I already did repair my game on Origin but it didn't work. I'm hopeless.

Hello @Sontsa
    I am sorry that you are having this issue. It would be best to post about your issues on a thread in the Mac section of the forums
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-on-mac-discussions
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,645 Member
    Happy new year to you too @Aunza
    I do use CCleaner, are you suggesting maybe running it before I update next?
    MLgj4Vx.png

Thank-you for the well wishes @February11!

As to the question regarding CCleaner, "No."

I am trying to figure out what we both may be doing that might be causing "Play" button to play hide and seek so to speak.

Pffft, Ever heard the saying "throwing spaghetti at the wall?" Or, if you will "guess and by gosh?" I am there. ~scrathes head, with a smile~

Once again, Thank-you and be well.

~Happy Simming~

Aunza wrote: »
    Thank-you for the well wishes @February11!

As to the question regarding CCleaner, "No."

I am trying to figure out what we both may be doing that might be causing "Play" button to play hide and seek so to speak.

Pffft, Ever heard the saying "throwing spaghetti at the wall?" Or, if you will "guess and by gosh?" I am there. ~scrathes head, with a smile~

Once again, Thank-you and be well.

~Happy Simming~

Okay, thanks for clearing that one up. I still just don't get it. It always updated perfectly up until mid last year, and then the patch before the last one updated without a hitch. *shrugs* I don't think we'll ever find a soloution to this problem, but at least, a repair game, shut down and restart does the trick. I hate the fact it always happens when I'm at work, and I can't rest until it's fixed, so I have to try and do it before I get busy - which has worked for the majority of the time!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Carebear11Carebear11 Posts: 1 New Member
    Help I can’t start my sims 4 game I also have cats and dogs and other expansions packs and game packs so now it won’t start
    Carebear11 wrote: »
    Help I can’t start my sims 4 game I also have cats and dogs and other expansions packs and game packs so now it won’t start

Hello @Carebear11

Try shutting down your computer completely. Start the computer again, then launch the game and see if that helps.

If you have cc/mods in your game, move your mods folder to the desktop. Then try starting the game and see if the issues are still there.

If the issues still remain, repairing the game may help. To do that, go to games library in Origin, right click on the sims 4 picture and click repair

Try starting the game in windowed mode
    https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/playing-the-sims-4-in-windowed-mode

edited February 2018
    And we have the same problem AGAIN! In the middle of second repair game :|

Woo hoo! It's fixed again!
    MLgj4Vx.png
    February11 wrote: »
    And we have the same problem AGAIN! In the middle of second repair game :|

Woo hoo! It's fixed again!

I am sorry that you had the issue, but am glad that it is now fixed :)
    Yes, This game seems to have a two stage update process for me too. I dunno what to say. ~stymied~
    Offering a smile and best wishes with future updates.

~Happy Simming~
    Aunza wrote: »
    Yes, This game seems to have a two stage update process for me too. I dunno what to say. ~stymied~
    Offering a smile and best wishes with future updates.

~Happy Simming~

Looks like it's going to be the future of our updates! :|
    Thank goodness it's only this win8.1 laptop and not my win10! I couldn't bear it being both!
    MLgj4Vx.png
    edited February 2018
    Right, I was just poking around the bowels of my laptop in the reliability history, as I had nothing to do for awhile, and found on every patch day and error. Touchup.exe has stopped working. When I looked into the details, I found this ...
    Description
    Faulting application name: touchup.exe, version: 4.5.3.0, time stamp: 0x56423601
    Faulting module name: msvcrt.dll, version: 7.0.9600.17415, time stamp: 0x54504b2e
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0002440b
    Faulting process id: 0x1900
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d39f9fece46de4
    Faulting application path: C:\PROGRA~2\ORIGIN~1\THESIM~1\__INST~1\touchup.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\msvcrt.dll
    Report Id: 6a6b336f-0b93-11e8-8318-b82a729d43a8
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

This means absolutely nothing to me, and was wondering if it does to anyone else.
    Since I still manage to get my game working after a couple of repairs and a restart, I don't want to go tinkering, unless it's a simple tinker. I'm over tinkering.

Also, on another day there was an error message EA Touchup Installer stopped working, but there were no details on that one, just check for solutions, which I did, and there were no solutions to be had at this moment in time.
    MLgj4Vx.png
    February11 wrote: »
    Right, I was just poking around the bowels of my laptop in the reliability history, as I had nothing to do for awhile, and found on every patch day and error. Touchup.exe has stopped working. When I looked into the details, I found this ...
    Description
    Faulting application name: touchup.exe, version: 4.5.3.0, time stamp: 0x56423601
    Faulting module name: msvcrt.dll, version: 7.0.9600.17415, time stamp: 0x54504b2e
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0002440b
    Faulting process id: 0x1900
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d39f9fece46de4
    Faulting application path: C:\PROGRA~2\ORIGIN~1\THESIM~1\__INST~1\touchup.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\msvcrt.dll
    Report Id: 6a6b336f-0b93-11e8-8318-b82a729d43a8
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

This means absolutely nothing to me, and was wondering if it does to anyone else.
    Since I still manage to get my game working after a couple of repairs and a restart, I don't want to go tinkering, unless it's a simple tinker. I'm over tinkering.

Also, on another day there was an error message EA Touchup Installer stopped working, but there were no details on that one, just check for solutions, which I did, and there were no solutions to be had at this moment in time.

Hello
    These are links about touch.exe. They may help you
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Dragon-Age-Inquisition/PC-EA-Installer-Touchup-has-stopped-working/td-p/4037163
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-4/Help-touchup-exe-question/td-p/6229346
    edited March 2018
    Thanks rose. I'd seen those, but reluctant to try it while I can still work around it. I might see what is different in that file on this laptop to my win10 which doesn't have the problem.
    While googling I found an old thread here where someone else had the problem, and back then I'd seen the touchup installer has stopped working in my reliability history, but back then I wasn't having the update problem, so I'm thinking it's not the problem.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/822724/ea-installer-touchup-has-stopped-working
    That dates back to 2016, I only encountered it early last year.
    MLgj4Vx.png
    Okay, here we go again! The last few updates have finally worked after using the usual steps, but this one is really playing up!
    MLgj4Vx.png
    I've tried every method going this morning for nearly two hours and if I hit update game now, nothing happens, if I repair game it comes up with that error which usually comes with a failed update. I have done 6 repair games and total shut downs and reboots, ran as administrator, turned off anti virus and firewall. I don't have time now to uninstall Origin and reinstall, I'll have to wait until tomorrow. Maybe by tomorrow it might want to update before I have to do that. Nightmare!
    MLgj4Vx.png
    FINALLY!!!!!!! Not sure if this helped, but I did a deep system clean, it worked after that before giving up for the day and uninstalling/reinstalling Origin!
    MLgj4Vx.png
    Hello
    I am sorry that you are having the issues again :( I hope that perhaps in the morning it will have sorted itself out.
    You may need to end up uninstalling and reinstalling origin :(
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello
    I am sorry that you are having the issues again :( I hope that perhaps in the morning it will have sorted itself out.
    You may need to end up uninstalling and reinstalling origin :(

You missed the post above rose, it's fixed again! :|
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • JennascottJennascott Posts: 1 New Member
    hey i am having a big problem with seasons. everything will work fine until i get to choosing a lot. then it just stays on the loading screen forever i tried turning my mods and cc off and it worked again! but i really really want all my cc and mods back on the game because i spent hours on getting it. if i there isn't anyway to get the mods and cc on my game and working can i uninstall seasons? if so how would i go about doing that? thanks!
    edited July 2018
    Jennascott wrote: »
    hey i am having a big problem with seasons. everything will work fine until i get to choosing a lot. then it just stays on the loading screen forever i tried turning my mods and cc off and it worked again! but i really really want all my cc and mods back on the game because i spent hours on getting it. if i there isn't anyway to get the mods and cc on my game and working can i uninstall seasons? if so how would i go about doing that? thanks!

Hello @Jennascott
    There has been many mods/cc broken by the pre season patch and Seasons. Pack
    This is a link to a list of some of the broken/updated mods/cc
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/941998/broken-updated-mods-seasons-june-2018-patch#latest
    It would be best to see if any of your mods /cc are on that list and if they are broken/have updated versions for you to download /install

Try moving your whole mods folder to the desktop.. Remove the localthumbcache.package file from the Sims 4 folder. Then start the game and test to see if that helps the issues. If it does help, then put your mods/CC back into the newly generated mods folder in the sims 4 folder one by one or in batches and testing the game after each one to see which is the cause of the problem.Put one item or batch in , test the game , take it out. Then test another one, to find the cause of the issue

If you have a lot of mods/cc, you could use the 50/50 method. Put half of your mods/cc into the mods folder then start the game and see if the issue is still there. If the issue is not there, then you know that those items work okay with the game. Then you can test the other half of your cc/mods.
    If the issue is still there with the first half, you will need to keep testing them to see what is causing the problem. Then you will need to test the second half of your cc/mods too.