The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How should University work world wise?

jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
Just to add, the Get To Work approach could also still provide a seperate neighbourhood for Dorms, like Get To Work provided as well.

But we could build our own Dorms anywhere.

How should University work world wise? 299 votes

Add lots like Get To Work where no matter where your Sims live, they’ll all load up in the same Uni. The world would still provide new locations. Sims could still live at home and go each day.
17%
JaseJessa_DakkarVkittyAlrynnTinkerballbandcampsquirrelBagoas77safersaviourcatloverplayerVuloriwrenstalespeterskywalkerdavina1221sikasika18Sim2SporeAmaraStormProteus42graventhesnikkipoocabx88 52 votes
Add a new Residential world, that we can use for Uni (with Dorms etc) but we can repurpose it as a normal residential world if we want.
29%
rudy8292alan650111Angel_mixjustChrisUkIrdiwentypicalgeminiDJQ1308rosehrtgirlluthienrisingSonia016stilljustme2sekojranaLizzychicagojhgkjhgkjhKiaraSims4Modsmoony21JennyggRamblineRosepixiejuiceLONESTAR2330 88 votes
A seperate world like we have had previously. Sims live there entire run of Uni.
53%
DannydanboBjDabomb24auroraael14CK213icmnfrshJeanKita5399GalacticGalErja888alexspoom13IceyJaprilroseLomelindi7rjhenn14overonVibsesuitcaseWritin_RegCorkysPetalskeekee53 159 votes

Comments

• jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Add a new Residential world, that we can use for Uni (with Dorms etc) but we can repurpose it as a normal residential world if we want.
    I feel like I don’t play Uni even though I love the concept, for the simple fact that I get bored of the world. It’s so same same.

Having the ability to switch it up and build different buildings in different worlds would just provide variety for me.

Plus I can still build Dorms in the new world :)
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    edited July 2018
    A seperate world like we have had previously. Sims live there entire run of Uni.
    The off-lot/public space needs to reflect that it’s a college campus, so option #2 makes very little sense. In fact, if rabbit hole academic buildings make a return (since both TS2 and TS3 use rabbit holes for classes) I’d expect them to be part of the world instead of being on a lot.

Option #1 is also a terrible idea. Commuter schools make sense in real life as some people only go to college for degrees. For a game it’s all about the fun part of being in college. Living in dorms and fraternity/sorority houses is a huge part of the traditional college experience and they are absolutely a must have.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @elelunicy wrote: »
    The off-lot/public space needs to reflect that it’s a college campus, so option #2 makes very little sense. In fact, if rabbit hole academic buildings make a return (since both TS2 and TS3 use rabbit holes for classes) I’d expect them to be part of the world instead of being on a lot.

Option #1 is also a terrible idea. Commuter schools make sense in real life as some people only go to college for degrees. For a game it’s all about the fun part of being in college. Living in dorms and fraternity/sorority houses is a huge part of the traditional college experience and they are absolutely a must have.

I hear you, which is why I said they could still provide a hood or two for a new place to build Dorms, but they could also build Dorms in any world. So it would still work like Uni.

In the real world, most people live in housing accommodation providing by Universities outside of the actual University. I know of of several where I live and the Uni is on the other side of town.

The first one, I would imagine they would also have a world that was very Uni focused.
    For example, I wish that the Get To Work lots were available to residential as well, even though they are obviously designed for public buildings. I would build a group of shops or even a corporate building turned residential house (there’s alot of them where I am).
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    In the real world, most people live in housing accommodation providing by Universities outside of the actual University. I know of of several where I live and the Uni is on the other side of town.

Where I’m from it’s very common for schools to require all underclassmen, or at least freshmen to live on campus. Some small liberal arts colleges literally require everyone to live on campus (exceptions are only made for married students, non-traditional students, etc.). Schools with little to no on-campus housing are known as commuter schools and they’re typically far less prestigious.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    edited July 2018
    I like the fact that in Sims 2 your sim is shipped away to uni, moving out in the process and they're stuck there till they finish. Made me really explore what the campus had to offer, dorm-life, fraternities and sororities, secret societies, the school cheer, pranks. I think it should be in a separate world.
    Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti
  • soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    Add lots like Get To Work where no matter where your Sims live, they’ll all load up in the same Uni. The world would still provide new locations. Sims could still live at home and go each day.
    I would love for us to choose whether we want to join the college student or send alone like options we get for doctors and cops. That way we can experience their college life if they choose to live at home, but also not have to stop all game play with everyone else the entire time. I would also like the option for them to live at dorms, which would send them away to a new world for us to play. So, there would have to be a new world and not like the fake ones with doctors and cops.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    One of the major flaws with Sims 3’s university EP was the singular campus world. I did not like that no matter what there was only one campus to choose from. Sims 2, while retaining the same core gameplay, offered 3 different campus options (or the option to create your own). I think that in Sims 4 they should offer multiple campus locations, all being their own world. Each world could have a minimum of 3 districts (active class/dorms, off-campus housing, and entertainment). While offering a commuter type of college (where a sim remains living in their home world) would be interesting, I don’t feel a university EP would benefit from doing that unless it was included as an additional option to the traditional setup.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    The last option.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited July 2018
    I would say the university building like Festivals in San Myshuno.
    I mean the public area of the neighborhood, a place we can't edit because Maxis don't want we break everything.

It could be a 5-lot home world with 1 Dormitory lot, 1 Fraternity lot, 1 Sorority lot and 2 University Hangout lots.

Dorms would be like Apartments, we couldn't modify the building.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited July 2018
    I reaaaaaallly want Sims not to have to move to go to university, and I feel like Sims 4 is set up to make that possible. In real life, people may go to university and live and live at home to save money. They may go to university later in life when they have their own family (<-- it me, next winter, if all goes well!). I've always been annoyed in previous university packs that the university experience was limited to living in a dorm or frat/sorority house. The option I picked felt the closest to what I want: A "university" town that my Sims might live in but could attend university while living in a different world too.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • a_niles06a_niles06 Posts: 3,019 Member
    A separate world where they stay their entire run at Uni would be my preference - just gives it more of a feel of being away at Uni. Most people (unless they already live in town and/or are going to a tech school/community college) don't continue to live at home, they live in the dorms at the school, often not even in the same city/town they grew up in. Of course that's not necessarily the norm everywhere so really I'd be open to whatever they decide. I could work with anything. What I actually care about more than where they live is what the university itself would be like. I LOVED in TS2 how there were the 3 different types of schools. You had your more prestigious high end university, your basic state university and your community college/tech school. I want the various types of schools back so much. If they had those and treated them like GTW lots where you just go for class day and then come back, I'd be totally cool with that too.
    ezgif_com_resize.gif

• paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I feel like Uni could probably work by using an edited system of the vacation worlds, where you essentially live there for the rest of your term and can still edit the world with whatever you like as you want. Though I'm not sure what might happen should you cancel your education there early; I presume you'd still be charged for the whole term.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    The concept of having to live on campus is very strange and unrealistic to me.

I'd like to see an education pack that operates in a similar manner to Get to Work. Your sims attend their classes, and then they go home. It could operate slightly differently to GTW, in that it could include an education world, a town or suburb that has a primary school, a secondary school, a hands-on tertiary education facility, and a university. Perhaps it could have a lot containing a dorm, operating similar to CL apartments, but your sims shouldn't be required to live in the education world.
    elelunicy wrote: »
    Where I’m from it’s very common for schools to require all underclassmen, or at least freshmen to live on campus.
    It's very unusual to live in a dorm in Australia, unless you're an international or first year rural student.
    Almost all students live at home, or in share houses, off campus.
    Some small liberal arts colleges literally require everyone to live on campus
    That is such a strange concept. Whats wrong with living at home, sleeping in your own bed, and not having to pay for an uncomfortable bed, in a strange place?
    Schools with little to no on-campus housing are known as commuter schools and they’re typically far less prestigious.
    They're standard for Australia. No lack of prestige here.

jackjack_k wrote: »
    Some unis here own houses that they lease to students as student housing. Share housing is a better way for students to learn to live in the real world, dorms are terrible for it.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,950 Member
    I would like to see a large world with Uni where you could have a Prestigious school, a State College/University and a Community college. But, I would like you to be able to have Residential, and community lots as well ( that people in other towns can visit). I don’t mind Dorms or fraternities/sororities being restricted to the one world. But I would like others to be able to live in the world too. I think we should be able to have rental houses with roommates there as well. I went away to college and lived in dorms the first year because I was from a small community, then rented afterwards. But, my daughters lived at home going to college. I think you should be able to do either. And you should certainly be able to visit people in other towns, both residential and community lots, be able to go on vacations, move back home during the summer (if living on campus) and be able to take vacations, and like I said live at home in any world if you want to. Of course, I think we should be able to make any lot a rental in any town myself, not just for college students. As far as the campuses go, I would love to see such things as a science building, (science classes) football field (athletic classes) theater (drama classes), fine arts department/building ( photography, painting, music) things like that with added little touches for each. Also online school would be something to add for those who don’t want to go to campuses.
  • agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    I like the "old" approach to be reintroduced in TS4. However, I'd love to have some sort of online course available as well when, for example, I want my sim to get a 2nd major but I don't feel like going through the campus experience once again. Or just plain don't want to move because it doesn't fit my storyline.
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I'm fine with the traditional option as well
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited July 2018
    However, I don't want them to stay there for the entire run.
    I liked being able to come home between terms and going back when I was ready like in TS3.

TS2 University's senior year was torture.
    I had to avoid Uni burnout by playing the parents for a while and inviting their son or daughter home.

There should also be a off-screen rabbit hole option for a local college where sims can go like they do with jobs.
    This way you can still get an education if don't feel like doing the whole Uni thing and avoid being separated from the rest of the household.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    The first two options confused me, so I just chose what was familiar. :D
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited July 2018
    I would love if they added 3 different Unis like in Sims 2, but each of them where from a different "country" and we could be a exchange student and explore the culture from the locals too. Liek a mix of University and Bon Voyage or World Adverntures.

Edit: Oh, sorry. I misread everything hahahahaaha XD
    I think that it would be good if it worked like the Destination worlds. You can only go there if you are a uni student ( or maybe a professor too? :wink: )
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    Karon wrote: »
    I would love if they added 3 different Unis like in Sims 2, but each of them where from a different "country" and we could be a exchange student and explore the culture from the locals too. Liek a mix of University and Bon Voyage or World Adverntures.

Edit: Oh, sorry. I misread everything hahahahaaha XD
    I think that it would be good if it worked like the Destination worlds. You can only go there if you are a uni student ( or maybe a professor too? :wink: )
    elelunicy wrote: »

I think i can see how the rabbit holes could work in Sims 4. If they were place right in the meighborhood you are in, you would see your sim going inside the RH like in Sims 3, but if it were located in other neighborhood from the Uni World, youre Sims would just walk and dissappear as always, It could work, but i would love to see them in classes (impossible, tho).
  • Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    I think it should be something like this: a separate world that works like the vacation worlds. You can rent dorms there and pay tuition and stay for the duration of the sim’s semester or whole degree.

But it would be great to have an option for distance education or to automate the education so you wouldn’t have to use the campus lots if you didn’t want to. I really didn’t enjoy playing through university with most sims in 2 or 3. I regretted buying them both times because it was just so boring to me. I typically just cheated degrees if I wanted sims to have a degree only job. I’m not sure I’ll even buy a uni pack this time unless it has a lot more to offer
  • rosehrtgirlrosehrtgirl Posts: 252 Member
    I picked the 2nd option, I want my sims to have have options when attending college. They can get married and even raise a family (not a good idea, but it happens, and they can live with a spouse who is not a college student.) and attend college from home no matter what world they live in. The new world will have rental apartments & single rental houses (a new lot type that can be built in any world) along with the dorms, sorority houses and fraternity houses.

I don't like the 3rd option it is to closed off and less options.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    I couldn't pick any option because I'd rather the University EP be about Education, and thus I wouldn't need a new world at all. I don't care about dorms, partying, sororities/fraternities, secret societies, etc.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I like it the way it was, because completely sinking into the student’s life is part of the fun for me. In real life and also in a sim’s life. Wouldn’t be fun for me if mom and dad can live around the corner.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    This was the closest choice for what I would like in a EDUCATION pack.

I envision a new world with different neighborhoods for different levels of education.

For example, one neighborhood would contain lots for a kindergarten for toddlers, a grade school for kids and a community play park in between.

Another with a high school for teens and a athletic field with various sports to play, basketball, track/hurdles, soccer, etc.

Another with college level buildings (the largest neighborhood) with dorms, fraternity/sorority houses, class room and labs building, gym, quad, etc (each it's own lot).

One for a boarding/military school and a neighborhood for residences for students to rent or teachers/professors to live.