Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Update to Sims 3 on Origin + CAW

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I have never used the CAW tool, so I think this is why I'm confused right now. I want to give the tool a go, but will this update potentially screw up my Sims 3 game at all? Or are they two completely separate entities?

Also, is there a difference between the CAW EIG that people have reported having issues with, and editing a new town you've created in your game? Or are these the exact same thing?
    \
    I used to have the caw tool, but now I don't. Can I download it from the sims store?
    https://www.thesims3.com/game/tools/world
    Note that there are different versions of CAW for Patches 1.67 and 1.69.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Scorpina2009Scorpina2009 Posts: 1,547 Member
    thank you igazor
  • DarkSolitude-XDarkSolitude-X Posts: 5 New Member
    I have a issue with CAW. My game and CAW are both 1.69. I do not have go-social version.

And the UI will appear black in EIG. When I try to place a lot, the game will crash.

I'm guessing that it's a D3D issue, but I've never had a D3D issue with any other game. I have all the expansions and stuff packs, as well as about 98% store content installed. I read that a user created a batch file that bypasses the launcher, would that help, and where would I find it? I'm running CAW with admin priv. I'm running win 7 x64, i5 4670, 16GB ram, GTX 970 w/388.71 drivers

I would post links (for my digital box art & my screen), but I don't have enough post count.
  • fxchrfxchrfxchrfxchr Posts: 329 Member
    I have never used the CAW tool, so I think this is why I'm confused right now. I want to give the tool a go, but will this update potentially screw up my Sims 3 game at all? Or are they two completely separate entities?

Also, is there a difference between the CAW EIG that people have reported having issues with, and editing a new town you've created in your game? Or are these the exact same thing?
    \
    I used to have the caw tool, but now I don't. Can I download it from the sims store?

CAW is here: https://www.thesims3.com/game/tools/world

There are two versions, depending on your patch level.
    Firby nurbs!
  • DrusillaWinfreyDrusillaWinfrey Posts: 9 New Member
    > @igazor said:
    > DrusillaWinfrey wrote: »
    >
    > I've recently started up my Sims 3 game again. Before, I had High End Loft, Night Life, Pets, Dragon Valley, and Island Paradise. Now, all it's showing is HEL, Island Paradise, and Night Life. I have the disks for Pets and Dragon Valley but when I inserted them, I had to input a code. I do not have said code anymore and was hoping there was something I could do?
    >
    >
    >
    > Are you using Origin to manage and startup the game? If so and Pets has gone missing on the Patch 1.69 pack chooser tab, then try updating Origin. Then try rebooting your computer. If that's not helping, then try uninstalling Origin (only) and reinstalling it. Your game installs will stay in place, it's just the Origin client program I mean here.
    >
    > Dragon Valley is not an expansion or a stuff pack, it is a store world. It won't show on the pack chooser tab, it should merely show as installed EA Store content and a world to play in-game. Doesn't matter if Origin "thinks" you have it or not, the important thing is if its content works.

I forgot to say this, my apologies. I am using Origin to open the game, however, the lack of packs and worlds is shown on the Sims 3 Launcher. It says I have no downloads or Installations and will only show the packs mentioned before. I know for fact that I had also bought an item from the store allowing me to chat with Death, but that is gone as well. I have looked at the SIms 3 folder in my computer and in the Installed Worlds folder there is nothing, same with the downloads folder. I was hoping to simply re-install them using the disks but was prompted for the installation code which I don't have
    edited May 2018
    > @igazor said:
    > DrusillaWinfrey wrote: »
    >
    > I've recently started up my Sims 3 game again. Before, I had High End Loft, Night Life, Pets, Dragon Valley, and Island Paradise. Now, all it's showing is HEL, Island Paradise, and Night Life. I have the disks for Pets and Dragon Valley but when I inserted them, I had to input a code. I do not have said code anymore and was hoping there was something I could do?
    >
    >
    >
    > Are you using Origin to manage and startup the game? If so and Pets has gone missing on the Patch 1.69 pack chooser tab, then try updating Origin. Then try rebooting your computer. If that's not helping, then try uninstalling Origin (only) and reinstalling it. Your game installs will stay in place, it's just the Origin client program I mean here.
    >
    > Dragon Valley is not an expansion or a stuff pack, it is a store world. It won't show on the pack chooser tab, it should merely show as installed EA Store content and a world to play in-game. Doesn't matter if Origin "thinks" you have it or not, the important thing is if its content works.

I forgot to say this, my apologies. I am using Origin to open the game, however, the lack of packs and worlds is shown on the Sims 3 Launcher. It says I have no downloads or Installations and will only show the packs mentioned before. I know for fact that I had also bought an item from the store allowing me to chat with Death, but that is gone as well. I have looked at the SIms 3 folder in my computer and in the Installed Worlds folder there is nothing, same with the downloads folder. I was hoping to simply re-install them using the disks but was prompted for the installation code which I don't have
    Expansion/Stuff Packs and store content like worlds (Dragon Valley) and store sets (Grim's Door of Life and Death or the Ghastly Manor) are handled very differently from each other.

On the one missing EP (Pets), it sounds like you have a potential issue with your EA/Origin account that you would need to contact EA Customer Support to fix, using the HELP menu at the bottom of these forum pages to arrange for a real time conversation by way of chat or telephone callback. I'm afraid that no one here on the forums has access to customer records.

On the store content, that is the world and any installed store sets, those go through the Launcher and land in your TS3 user game folder where you were already looking. Possibly you have more than one such user game folder on your system -- is there anything in OneDrive's Documents folder as opposed to the proper one in the regular Documents location? If not, can you access your account on the TS3 store site and download these items again?

The world discs were always confusing, I'm pretty sure all they really did upon being inserted was direct the player to the TS3 store site for the actual downloads. Could be mistaken on that, but if these purchases were registered to you, they should still be accessible for re-downloads.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • DrusillaWinfreyDrusillaWinfrey Posts: 9 New Member
    @igazor Thank you very much for your help. I checked the TS3 Store and wallah! Dragon Valley and the Grims Door of Life and Death were there and are now in my game! Thanks to your advice I contacted Customer Support and Pets is back in action! Thank you so much!
    @igazor Thank you very much for your help. I checked the TS3 Store and wallah! Dragon Valley and the Grims Door of Life and Death were there and are now in my game! Thanks to your advice I contacted Customer Support and Pets is back in action! Thank you so much!
    Glad you got all of that worked out. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • abgirleeabgirlee Posts: 25 Member
    Anybody else having problems getting S3 to run after updating Origin?
  • Nickijay83Nickijay83 Posts: 3 New Member
    How can I add some friends to my sims 3 game? I am new to playing online with origin.
  • Lexers615Lexers615 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Nickijay83 wrote: »
    How can I add some friends to my sims 3 game? I am new to playing online with origin.

You mean in TS3 or Origin?
    My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    Academic Trait: Adventurous
    Social Group Trait (Should I ever become "Nerd" enough): Computer Whiz
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." Cpt. Edward A. Murphy Jr, USAF
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    Nickijay83 wrote: »

You'll probably need to log into your MyPage on the old Sims 3 site and send friend requests. People on the old site may not have the exact same name there as on this new site.

https://www.thesims3.com
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    edited July 2018
    ignore this I think I am a year out here lol
  • shakeninsaneshakeninsane Posts: 518 Member
    Did Origin do any updates on Sims 3 this summer? I haven't played in months, and I come back now and the windows key doesn't seem to work properly anymore when I want to close the game to the tool bar. Usually I just hit the windows key and it would minimize the game. Now, I have to ctrl alt delete first, sometimes twice, to minimize the game, then open it again and then windows key starts working.

Also, my MyPage and user over at the sims3 website (with the store content etc) hasn't worked since sims 4 launched more or less, lmao. I had some sim points to use and all and some store content I wanted, but alas I can't get to my account - even when trying to use forgot password etc. No dice.
    edited August 2018
    @shakeninsane - There have been no updates to TS3 since Jan 2014. If we count Patch 1.69 with the required Origin tie-in as an update even though it didn't really change the game files themselves other than their internal build numbers, then Jan 2016. Sounds more like a change/update in Windows itself might have triggered the different Windows-key behavior.

But the safest way to minimize the game has always been to switch to Windowed mod out of Full Screen by way of Game Options (or ctrl+enter) and use the "-" widget to minimize. Then do the reverse to return to Full Screen if that is how you had been playing. The game always stood a chance of getting stuck to the task bar and essentially crashing or requiring a Force Quit otherwise. Another popular option especially for Win 10 users is Windowed Borderless Gaming.
    https://westechsolutions.net/sites/WindowedBorderlessGaming

You could try clearing your browser's cache and cookies or using a different browser to try to get into your TS3 website account. Or try changing your password. But if you are still locked out, a real time conversation with EA Customer Support would be required to fix that (see the HELP menu below on full-sized browser pages).
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    edited August 2018
    Did Origin do any updates on Sims 3 this summer? I haven't played in months, and I come back now and the windows key doesn't seem to work properly anymore when I want to close the game to the tool bar. Usually I just hit the windows key and it would minimize the game. Now, I have to ctrl alt delete first, sometimes twice, to minimize the game, then open it again and then windows key starts working.

Also, my MyPage and user over at the sims3 website (with the store content etc) hasn't worked since sims 4 launched more or less, lmao. I had some sim points to use and all and some store content I wanted, but alas I can't get to my account - even when trying to use forgot password etc. No dice.

The last few updates to TS3 was when they tied the game to Origin as well as the patch to fix the CAW problems. And that was about 2 years ago. So no, there hasn't been anymore updates this summer as I believe they are done with patches for this game.

Edit to say that the store is still up and running as I still go over there to look around.
    @igazor At last Origin update, I had a notification on The SIms 3 icon that an update was available. When I clicked to perform the update, the download was nearly instantaneous and the update process only lasted a few seconds. However, I haven't noticed any change at all. The same thing happenned on the three computers on which I have The Sims 3 installed, which to me rules out the mere bug.

Could it be like an EULA or TOS text update or such? On Steam, many of my games which hadn't updated in years recently had like a 20kb update to add a "privacy" clause to the included EULA or TOS text.
    My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
    @Lexers615 - Could be something like that, yes. Doesn't sound like anything substantive if it all happened that quickly each time.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • shakeninsaneshakeninsane Posts: 518 Member
    Thanks for the replies, then maybe it was just a weird Windows-update that makes Sims 3 invinsible to the Windows key, haha. I didn't know there was a better way of minimizing the game, tbh, though I've never had any issues using the windows keys all these years. (Win 7)

As for the TS3 website errors, I've tried all browsers, cleared caches etc and this has been going on ever since TS4 launched, the sim points aren't that big of a matter (not enough to buy any of their overpriced stuff anyway haha), I just think it's super lame they never bothered with the bugs on the website - I know last time I brought it up, others had the same issue.
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    edited August 2018
    My experience was like yours @shakeninsane. The windows key would always drop the screen for me since I've had this computer (around the end of last year - not sure about before that) until sometime this summer. I thought the change occurred right after a Windows update. I've been using windows key + d to drop it since then. I've never had any problems with my game getting stuck or crashing using either of those options.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Hisonly1531Hisonly1531 Posts: 22 Member
    Hey guys, I love the sims 3 late night. But I've been wanting some things... :/ I noticed the baby swing, pink crib, baby changer, and the bunk beds! With my birthday coming up I wont be able to afford any of it :( I really hope anyone can help me and with many birthday wish's :)!!
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    edited August 2018
    Hey guys, I love the sims 3 late night. But I've been wanting some things... :/ I noticed the baby swing, pink crib, baby changer, and the bunk beds! With my birthday coming up I wont be able to afford any of it :( I really hope anyone can help me and with many birthday wish's :)!!

Hello and welcome to the forums @Hisonly1531... :)

You're welcome to enter into one or some of the many contests over in the Gift Gathering-Thank You forum section as there are still many contests taking placing over there. All you need to do is link them your wishlist page over on the The Sims 3 site. But of course with you being a new member, you can't link the proper way. But you can still post your link but with spaces in between, sample: h.ttps://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=lisasc360 so that the gifter will have your link to your WL page. But just don't go over and start begging someone to gift you the things that you have on your wishlist as begging is frown upon over there.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/gift-gathering-thank-yous-gifting
    ... I'd also suggest editing your signature to add such a note with a link to your wishlist.
    My Studio
    ______
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • SereneMossSereneMoss Posts: 128 Member
    origin has been the worst thing to happen to the sims. we used to be able to play wherever and whenever and now we gotta be shackled down by origin 24/7. so now here i am waiting for some stupid glitch to be fixed just so I can play. origin is a NIGHTMARE. what happened to us being able to just play the game without worrying about being online or not. some people could care less about online mode, we just wanna play. AGH
  • Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    SereneMoss wrote: »
    origin has been the worst thing to happen to the sims. we used to be able to play wherever and whenever and now we gotta be shackled down by origin 24/7. so now here i am waiting for some stupid glitch to be fixed just so I can play. origin is a NIGHTMARE. what happened to us being able to just play the game without worrying about being online or not. some people could care less about online mode, we just wanna play. AGH

I totally agree!!! Especially for those of us who hunted down and purchased all discs so we could stay offline. Now you have to find a basegame disc made before 2012 (I think) and reinstall to stay off Origin :angry:
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top