Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @kgaff that is stunning!
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    @kgaff that is stunning!

Thanks! I found the size of the lot to be the challenge, I thought it was way to big. It took me three tries to come up with this and then I thought of another layout but there's not enough time left to do it for an entry.

@ciane Love the sculptures around the bars and the grills!! I found picture taking a bit difficult as I made mine a residential build and had to just do the best I could without the camera mode.
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    LOVE the name @kgaff! Great way to mix the two influences! Love the roof, bamboo, and big round windows too! The fish tank to view into and out of the bar is a great idea as well. Nice job!
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    Nice entries! @ciane I really like your layout and the rich colors you used. Clever use of the "glass" (maybe ice? it's something I don't have, so ice makes sense ;) ) tables at the ends of the bars. It's nice you thought to include an outdoor seating area, which just didn't occur to me with this build.

@kgaff Love your window choices, as well as the interior wallpapers and flooring you used. The awning over the dessert station is cute and a nice touch, too.

Working on my pictures and will post soon. I built mine within two days immediately after the challenge was posted and, since then, have been thinking about how to redo it so it was less boxy (it's definitely boxy). It's almost the end of the month, and I haven't come up with anything else I like, and so you'll be seeing a box. :D I took kind of an opposite approach: non-Asian building with Asian details added, which is something I see a lot of in my area.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    edited June 2018
    The idea to use the ice lounge tables came as I love rounded edges for counters. It also offered more seating, but utilized less space. I do like the look of those ice crystals though. They add so much! Thanks for the lovely comments on them!

Yeah, I tried to think outside the box too @suzses, but I fell in love with an inspiration pic and it was just a simple rectangle. Simple fits the Asian theme, I think. Minimalist. I know yours will be gorgeous. I look forward to the pics.
    edited June 2018
    @kgaff Thinking about your picture-taking dilemma, I was wondering if you use any NRaas mods in your game? I open lots with MasterController, use a sim who is elsewhere (no need to go on the lot) to turn on the lights, and snap away. Sometimes it does drop the lot value a tad when I open it (like by a few hundred), but you don't have to save it necessarily, and if you know what your lot value was originally, it doesn't matter anyway.

The way to do it is just click the ground on the lot, select NRaas, select MasterController, select open. Then, move your mouse so you're pretty much over the building, and you will see the choices to go up/down levels and change wall cutaways become active.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    suzses wrote: »
    @kgaff Thinking about your picture-taking dilemma, I was wondering if you use any NRaas mods in your game? I open lots with MasterController, use a sim who is elsewhere (no need to go on the lot) to turn on the lights, and snap away. Sometimes it does drop the lot value a tad when I open it (like by a few hundred), but you don't have to save it necessarily, and if you know what your lot value was originally, it doesn't matter anyway.

The way to do it is just click the ground on the lot, select NRaas, select MasterController, select open. Then, move your mouse so you're pretty much over the building, and you will see the choices to go up/down levels and change wall cutaways become active.

I don't have any mods in my game. Quite frankly, when I go to the NRaas wiki I feel totally overwhelmed by the sheer number of files there and I don't have the slightest idea of what any of it means, does or is. :/

Second, my game is running so smoothly (knock on wood) these days that I am loathe to add anything for fear it will do bad things. I do not want to go through a restart ever again, it's not fun as you know.

I was thinking of giving someone a ton of money in order to buy the lot and then take some better pictures that way. I have a few days left, we'll see. :)
    I was thinking of giving someone a ton of money in order to buy the lot and then take some better pictures that way. I have a few days left, we'll see. :)

That works, too! :p

NRaas can get a little overwhelming. I kind of stick to basics and what I already know.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    edited July 2018
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #203 - East Meets West

NAME: suzses

LINK TO LOT: Not yet uploaded. Will be testing as a community lot, maybe adding a few things to that version, and will provide a link for that when ready. (I did convert it long enough to see if NPC's would staff the appropriate spots - they do - and included a couple staff members in my photos.)

Edited to add:
    Link to uploaded version: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9230859
    (I've made it a Hang Out, which seems to work pretty well with everything on the lot, and added some things that didn't make the budget for the challenge.)

LINK TO MEDIA: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmicyAKh

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: N/A

LEVEL: Intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 30x40, 373 Skyborough Lane, $79, 989.

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: My inspiration for this was a picture of a restaurant with an area with colored lighting off the dining room and lots of plants, but not combined the way I did with the plant side rooms around the dining area. (I turned on the plant lights and think they will stay on, but if not, and someone downloads the version I eventually upload, they are set on cyan, dim for "this room." There are wall lights in both of the two plant rooms to click on to set them. The other lights in those areas are all buydebug ceiling lights, and you won't be able to click them in live mode.)

"Lemongrass" kept sticking in my mind as a name for some unknown to me reason, so I looked around for whether it is used in French cooking (because I didn't want to exclude the French side of things) and found some examples, like sauteed bass with lemongrass and ginger-lemongrass creme brulee. We'll just consider them to be on the menu, k? ;)

I really didn't like my building looking too, too Asian-ish in its neighborhood, so I opted to do something more US business inspired, with most of the attention (and expense) paid to the front facade and including some Asian influence in the decor. This is how most of the Asian restaurants are in my area - actually, they are often former fast-food spots and the like redone - and since it felt like it fit my community, I went with it. Once I was finished, I thought perhaps I had missed the mark on the challenge, but I was pretty committed to my style by then, so it is what is.

I really think what everything is is pretty obvious, but the picture names in my album may provide a few clues if not.

Oh, one more thing: Pictures are in "my" Sunset Valley, which is not the usual Sunset Valley, so you may pick up some unexpected things in the background of some pictures.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please, I always appreciate it.

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: None used.

SPACE FOR PICTURES: (limit 2)

28164163827_0fe25c9b9b_c.jpgLemongrassFront1 by Sue H, on Flickr

43033295241_4459805138_c.jpgLemongrassSideA1 by Sue H, on Flickr
    Post edited by suzses on
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • paneingerpaneinger Posts: 214 Member
    42315709194_2b0dee749f_z.jpg

I finally finished my lot. Playtesting it a bit while waiting for all the dang snow to go away so I can get some decent pictures...Only three more sim-days of winter :(

42984775422_975e3f2c36_z.jpg

edited June 2018
    Love your lot, @suzses. I knew I would. Love all the greenery and the interesting facade. Great use of space and great clearing and prep area.

@paneinger - I like what I see of yours too, especially those windows by the grill.
    edited June 2018
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #203 - East Meets West

NAME: paneinger

LINK TO LOT: n/a

LINK TO MEDIA: https://www.flickr.com/photos/157238170@N02/albums/72157698426705495/with/43080404941/

LEVEL: intermediate
    LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 40x30; $79.993

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: I made my lot a little bit different, but I really like it. I didn't want the traditional Asian feel, so its more of a modern Asian feel with lots of Frenchy and European vibes. Lots of blues instead of the traditional red - I even named it Le Bleu - and there's little pops to tie it back into the Asian theme. I used a lot of cranes in the decor, for instance. I really love the huge sculpture outside, rising from the fountain, but each table also has a little origami crane lamp. The architecture outside is modern with a lot of fountains and lillies, huge Asian lanterns, and the giant crane. If you look closely, part of the dining room and the sushi bar is built so it's actually floating overtop of the fountain, which I think is really cool.

Inside, it's a blend of modern, Asian, and French country decor. There' a huge fireplace in the host/waiting area with more artsy touches. That area leads to the bathroom and kitchen with staff bathroom. The clearing area has a lot of storage built into the wall for goods/dishes. On the wall with the sink, there's a trash chute and the dumpster is directly outside - so just pretend that the trash chute leads into the dumpster ;) There's a large prep station with a fridge, and it's actually a CC item that functions as a prep station so it can be playable as a restaurant. There's a pass through on either side of the prep station that goes behind the bar. I built it that way to cut down on the random sims ending up behind the bar where it should be staff-only.

The dining room has 6 four-top tables, plus a little area for baked goods. Again, I think its more French/Euro than Asian, but each table has the little crane lamp and a gold dragon, as well as a drink menu and condiments. Each table has the same set of accessories so I added a picture of that too. I used bamboo, Asian lanterns, and fans for decor, as well as pastel floral prints and chalkboard menu-ish prints. I think it works well together though. I left the waiting area and dining room open to the second floor and just added some rafters (so the lights wouldn't be hanging from nothing lol) I felt like it opened up the space and made it feel roomier, compared to the sushi bar with its low ceiling.

In the very back, there's a grill with seating so you can watch your dinner, or you can just go to the bar. The back wall has yet more blue birds. I was planning on adding a bamboo garden outside the wraparound windows, but ran out of money :D

My sims had a good time playtesting it and I added some cute shots too.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes please - I'm planning to renovate and expand with an unlimited budget and keep it in my game ;)

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED:

SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    42175565385_19fccdae3d_z.jpg

42315709194_2b0dee749f_z.jpg

I like the tile floor you chose with the white brick walls a lot! I love the herringbone pattern on the ceiling. And, I especially love the glass jut out area and what looks like the LP fencing on either side of the bar. Nice!
    @paneinger I just love your restaurant, especially the architecture and the outdoor decor/landscaping with the lanterns, cranes and waterlillies.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    I play tested the lot and made a few minor changes. I deleted a couple half walls directly behind the pastry displays for the illusion that sims can stock the displays from the kitchen. I also deleted the island cabinets between the fridge and wood oven and then, moved the sink to that spot. With extra money from the sell of the walls, I got soap dispensers and paper towels for the baths and kitchen. :smiley:

https://2sim3.wordpress.com/other/bns/pp
    Added link above to the community lot version of my restaurant. ^ Also put in some additional things I thought I'd like to have if I use the lot.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    5nd1sli.png
    This marks the close of #BnS203!!
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited July 2018
    nrMxwDI.pngf0QDFrV.pngoPsl3Pc.pngf0QDFrV.pngAz4BO1v.pngf0QDFrV.pngqkXexiw.png
    Dream A Little Dream

You walk through the main office doors and can’t help but think of how much Rose would love this! The reception area is just the thing he’s always wanted. He doesn’t know you know, but you know he secretly has always wished for this or that to make his job here easier, and this set-up has it all.

There is ample seating for clients, and a wonderfully large conference room for you to take meetings in. It’s… you didn’t even know it was what you wanted until you stood looking at it in awe.

You have to see your office! You look around, opening doors until you find the one that must be yours, and like everything else you’ve seen, it is perfect. So much so you wonder how anyone could ever have built such a thing. It doesn’t even seem real.

You are about to go see the last thing, the most important thing, the thing that you want to see more than anything when the intercom buzzes, waking you from your sleep.

You sit up and rub your eyes, blinking as you look around at your real office, the perfect one of your dreams lingering in your mind’s eye.

The intercom buzzes again and you finally answer it.

“Yes, Rose?”

“Well, we’re pretty slow, no clients on the schedule. I was wondering if I might take off early.”

“Oh. Yes, of course. Before you do, can you come in here for a moment?”

“On my way,” she says.

You grab a pencil and paper and begin to furiously draw everything you can remember from your dream. After all, business has been more than good lately, and you are feeling like maybe you’ve outgrown this place.

When Rose pokes her head in you look up and grin. “Rose, how would you like to have a new office?”

vPz5U5r.png
    • Unlimited Budget
    • Build a new office for yourself! Build the office literally from your dreams.
    • Reception area, conference room, offices, and something special you’ve always wanted.
    • Any style in any town.
      3gHHX7s.png
      Dm5g7dk.png

The deadline for this challenge is 31st July 2018 ** [no later than 23:59:59 EDT/New York Time]
      TvmoeFJ.png
    Post edited by BuildnShare on
    GArBA5W.jpg
    The new challenge is great. I wasn't expecting Karl, from your sims 4 thread. I was used to it just being Rose and you. So, at least one other associate or team of builders hang out there with you, huh?
    ciane wrote: »
    The new challenge is great. I wasn't expecting Karl, from your sims 4 thread. I was used to it just being Rose and you. So, at least one other associate or team of builders hang out there with you, huh?
    Apologies @ciane - this was an administrative oversight. Rose is very much still in place for the TS3 challenge!

GArBA5W.jpg
    I like the tile floor you chose with the white brick walls a lot! I love the herringbone pattern on the ceiling. And, I especially love the glass jut out area and what looks like the LP fencing on either side of the bar. Nice!
    suzses wrote: »
    @paneinger I just love your restaurant, especially the architecture and the outdoor decor/landscaping with the lanterns, cranes and waterlillies.

Thanks guys!!
    Rose is very much still in place for the TS3 challenge!

I was pretty sure it was just a case of mixing up the staff.

Thanks for the quick response!

• KesminlixKesminlix Posts: 252 Member
    Unlimited Budget
    giphy.gif

Rose is very much still in place for the TS3 challenge!

I was pretty sure it was just a case of mixing up the staff.

Thanks for the quick response!
    It's no problem @ciane - I think this heat is starting to affect what little there is left of my poor little brain :tongue:
    GArBA5W.jpg
    I've already finished mine and just need to playtest and tweak. :smiley:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top