Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Handmaid's Tale Sims 4

Has anyone, who watches Handmaid's Tale, tried to do a gameplay similar to the show?

I just got into the show and I'm thinking there could be a Sims Play here. Just trying to get opinions and maybe gameplay experience from someone who has tried this?

Comments

• thesleepingsatellitethesleepingsatellite Posts: 34 Member
    A user on Reddit has a very long, extended storyline based on The Handmaid's tale. She posts regular updates to the r/thesims subreddit. I can't post links (yet), so just go to the subreddit and search for "blessed cult" and you'll find something that interests you.
  • KJBKJB Posts: 173 Member
    What a coincidence! I am currently watching the most recent episode of The Handmaid's Tale :D . I just got into it too.
    It's not something I'd do in the Sims, but your idea is interesting.
    0G9Un6T.gif
  • MollieLouMollieLou Posts: 19 Member
    This is a fun coincidence, I'm currently setting up a savefile for The Handmaid's Tale! I started a couple of days ago after reading the blessed cult legacy on reddit (I definitely recommend that!) and I've just been working on creating some custom recolors to match the theme, for example I recolored the Leia robe to turn it into a Handmaid's dress, turned the straw hat white to act as "Wings" and made a mesh edit to one of the hats for a cap. I'm almost done with that, the only thing I still want to do is make a custom tattoo or accessoire that mimicks the red tag. I've got my main family already set up, though I'm waiting to build the house until I have seasons cause I think the build items from that EP will work nicely.

I've got a simblr already set up but it's empty at the moment. If you plan on doing a story or something I'd love to read it!
    And yes, I just signed up to say this. Been lurking for forever though.
  • PinkPaws66PinkPaws66 Posts: 755 Member
    I think this idea is awesome! I love The Handmaid's Tale!
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,096 Member
    MollieLou wrote: »
    This is a fun coincidence, I'm currently setting up a savefile for The Handmaid's Tale! I started a couple of days ago after reading the blessed cult legacy on reddit (I definitely recommend that!) and I've just been working on creating some custom recolors to match the theme, for example I recolored the Leia robe to turn it into a Handmaid's dress, turned the straw hat white to act as "Wings" and made a mesh edit to one of the hats for a cap. I'm almost done with that, the only thing I still want to do is make a custom tattoo or accessoire that mimicks the red tag. I've got my main family already set up, though I'm waiting to build the house until I have seasons cause I think the build items from that EP will work nicely.

I've got a simblr already set up but it's empty at the moment. If you plan on doing a story or something I'd love to read it!
    And yes, I just signed up to say this. Been lurking for forever though.

Awesome!! Yea, I have just been toying with the idea. I found the Waterford house on Mod The Sims. It's amazing! But I don't think I'm going to use it because I really don't like playing on 64x64 lots because of potential lag. So I'm going to find a more suitable house for a 40x30 lot...maybe in Forgotten Hollow. I'd be curious to see your creations if you were ever planning to upload them?
    yea I think the most annoying part of the gameplay is that the Handmaid in the game will always appear to be happy because Sims, more often than not, are happy go lucky characters. I wish there was a sad or miserable trait to give them. I will definitely use the loner trait.
  • kemiszkemisz Posts: 602 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »
    yea I think the most annoying part of the gameplay is that the Handmaid in the game will always appear to be happy because Sims, more often than not, are happy go lucky characters. I wish there was a sad or miserable trait to give them. I will definitely use the loner trait.

I'm pretty sure that there's a mod that gets rid of their ridiculously happy smiles and replaces it with a neutral expression. Not helpful if you don't use mods, but I just thought I'd mention it.
    My EA ID is TranquilloSims - where I upload starter homes, family homes and some more ambitious creations.

• thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    I haven't done it yet, but I've been thinking of making a save based loosely off of The Handmaid's Tale lately.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
    I saw the Waterford's house and it's too big for me as well. I don't really have lag as much as I lose track of my sims really fast, so I've decided to build my own houses (as well as other important places like the grocery store, a meeting place and the red center) in the town center of Windenburg. I'm not 100% sure on the location yet but I think I prefer the Windenburg lighting over Willow Creek, which would probably be the most fitting place layout-wise.

I will upload pretty much everything I make to the downloads page on my tumblr, which at the moment is blessed-sims.tumblr.com - the url may change if the person who has been posting on reddit would like to use it. The CC is very amateurish though, I'm not very good at making stuff and I can't mesh at all, the best I can do is delete pieces of existing meshes. I'm already done with a small collection of clothes and accessoires but I need to test it and make thumbnails etc. Should be done today or tomorrow!

Also, there's definitely a mod that fixes the weirdly happy smiles, I've got it in my game right now but I didn't have the time to test it as of now. I can't post links but if you google "Floppant Less Smiling" you should be able to find it. I use the fine version.
    I tested the mod I talked about in my last post and (using the FINE version) it seems to work fine, so no more constantly smiling handmaids. I also got done with the items and they can be found at my tumblr, though another shorter dress is in the works. Otherwise I've bought seasons and will be working on my savefile for the next couple of days.

PS: Just because I play a Handmaid's Tale inspired savefile does not mean I advocate for the terrible treatment of women as seen in the show. I'm a woman myself and a feminist but I'm also of the belief that the best way of avoiding a dystopian future is to know it beforehand - and in the end the Handmaid's Tale is just a fascinating universe with interesting options for storytelling.
    MollieLou wrote: »
    I tested the mod I talked about in my last post and (using the FINE version) it seems to work fine, so no more constantly smiling handmaids. I also got done with the items and they can be found at my tumblr, though another shorter dress is in the works. Otherwise I've bought seasons and will be working on my savefile for the next couple of days.

PS: Just because I play a Handmaid's Tale inspired savefile does not mean I advocate for the terrible treatment of women as seen in the show. I'm a woman myself and a feminist but I'm also of the belief that the best way of avoiding a dystopian future is to know it beforehand - and in the end the Handmaid's Tale is just a fascinating universe with interesting options for storytelling.

I completely am on the same page. :)
    @MollieLou I downloaded your files but are their pictures to see what they look like on Sims before I put them in my game? I also found that mod. Does this keep all sims from smiling all the time? Or is just their keep their face neutral? So if they are telling jokes...they still laugh and smile? Just curious. Thanks!
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »

The gloomy trait might work for that.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
    At the moment there's no preview picture but I'll make one tomorrow - I'm in the process of moving everything to word press because I think a story / chapter format would be nicer than just a bunch of pictures. It's basically just edited EA stuff though. The mod just replaces the default animation of the "Happy" state so that instead of smiling they look more neutral. It doesn't affect animations at all so if they tell jokes they laugh and smile. If you wanna change the emotions themselves I'd suggest the gloomy trait as well, I know a few of my handmaids will have them.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top