Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do sims 2 fans prefer sims 3 or sims 4?

Comments

• lauravonawesomelauravonawesome Posts: 2,905 Member
    edited April 2018
    As a longtime Simmer, I still play TS2 and 3. I can play either one for hours, and I don't notice time passing. I'll say something like "I'll save once x happens", and suddenly it's 4 in the morning. :lol:

I like different things about both, but TS2 feels more "alive" (like, when I go to venues, there are actually people there and not just empty lots). Dating, socializing, and the Nightlife EP in general, kept things dynamic and exciting.

That said, I hate loading screens... and I loved TS3's open world, advanced customization options, etc. The game was ahead of its time, and I'm convinced that it would have been even better if it had been developed by a company who cared about it (and us players) enough to fix the game-breaking bugs before moving onto the next cash cow.

I was excited for TS4 until the reviews started coming in... and nearly all of them were negative. I gave it a chance, but I usually lose interest a few minutes in. Compared to previous iterations, it feels dull, childish, and lifeless; fine for a mobile game, not cool for a full PC release.

The "emotions" (the feature I was most excited for) were a complete trainwreck: awesome in theory, a mess in practice. They seem to be utilitarian, in that they don't enhance gameplay or serve any real purpose beyond doing the same activity in a "different" mood.

I still wish Medieval had gotten the full Sims treatment though. That would have been awesome. And yes, TS4 has toddlers now, but this still makes me laugh-cry everytime.

f2b0c0988f3f314d24352bdfdcfe1b47.jpg

I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

anigif_enhanced-19003-1450118526-12.gif
  • Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    edited April 2018
    Sims 2 is my all time favorite in the series and probably always will be, it felt special and still does and the sims were the most clever and in depth/quirky. Had way better npc's too like Mrs crumple bottom, social bunny etc. More so then the sims 4 or at least it feels that way. The game was perfect and had so many little details and quirky things which we have yet to see in another game since. I mean no disrespect to the gurus but there isn't anywhere near as much detail put into the newer games then there was in the sims 2. I would be happy if the sims 5 was just a remake of the sims 2! Same game better graphic or an overhaul/remaster. Out of the sims 3 and 4 I would say I prefer 4. Its more simular to 2. I liked 3 but it didn't play well on my pc and even now it still plays badly.
  • Mort_OpalMort_Opal Posts: 55 Member
    I think sims 4 is like an updated version of 2. Granted, it will never ever live up to The Sims 2. But, I do like the multitasking and build/buy mode. If they had those features, plus the quirks in 2, the game would be beyond perfect.
  • rhubarbcustardcolarhubarbcustardcola Posts: 3 New Member
    The Sims 2 is one of my favourite games of all time, and imo, subsequent games don't really come close to capturing the feeling of 2. If I had to choose though, I'd say 3 would be the one I prefer.

I honestly hated the rabbit holes in 3, and the open world didn't excite me at all, but I still felt the effort put into the game, and it still had a sims feel to it.

TS4, I'm honestly so far overwhelmingly disappointed with. It just doesn't capture the magic or feeling of any of the previous games at all imo, and it feels small and constrictive, which is the opposite of how a sims game should feel. I'm glad the rabbit holes are gone from 3, but the community lots that are there are completely bland and uninspired vs the ones in 2, not to mention that the "worlds" in TS4 are shockingly, unacceptably minuscule.

The expansions I've played and seen so far as well seem incredibly half baked and lazy. Expansions for 2 felt like rediscovering and falling in love with the game all over again. We're 4 years in now, and I've given up any hope of improvement for TS4, and I think it would be naive to hope TS5 will be any better, if there ever is one.
  • exyurockexyurock Posts: 25 Member
    Sims 2, out of all of them, is a REAL LIFE SIMULATOR. Many cute interactions, the attraction system on POINT, and pretty much EVERYTHING. Sims 4 doesn't have even a quarter of the magic Sims 2 had. Sims 3 is great too, but I feel like not a lot of people can play it, due to the lag and requirements that are absurd just to play the game smoothly.
  • Scorpina2009Scorpina2009 Posts: 1,547 Member
    If you would've asked me this question like... some months ago, I would've said TS3, but now, since I gave Sims 4 a chance, I think I'm starting to like it better. The thing that I don't like about Sims 4 is that the graphics make it look boring... But other than that, I really like it. Really looking forward to seeing new expansions since they make everything so good lately.

I did the same thing. In fact, last week I decided to give TS4 another try and I've played every night since.

• Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    I would say That I absolutely love the sims 2. and I've completely dived back into it and Love the quirkiness about it. I would say my next favorite is ts3. I feel like even though it took out a little bit of detail from 2 it still trumps 4. TS4 would be my least favorite at this time. I can't even get through a new game without hitting the issues with bugs and it seems every patch breaks something else amongst other reason I won't repeat myself to say here.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    The sims 2 will always be my favorite of the series with it's hilarious reactions and game play but..
    I prefer the sims 3 in all honesty. I like the sims 4 but the sims 3 had way more things to offer for game play.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Bluefairy286Bluefairy286 Posts: 254 Member
    Well I bought most of the expansion packs for The Sims 3 but for The Sims 4 I only have City Living and Parenthood so I think that proves I enjoyed playing Sims 3 more.

At first I didn't really like how some of the Sims looked in the Sims 3 but as I added cc they started to look much better and I preferred the CAS sliders to what we now have in TS4.

I think TS3 had the best gameplay, it had loads of little features like; Players can buy a rubber ducky and a bubble bath for the bathtub and you can read the newspaper to find out who has died or who has married.

The only problem I had is that TS3 ran a bit slow on my computer and TS4 runs fine.
  • kamra19610kamra19610 Posts: 461 Member
    Never played 4 as it had no kids? toddler? or babies? don't remember witch. There were things I really liked about 3 but over all 2 is just way above the others. Wish they would do a 5 and combine are favorite features from each.
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    Huge sims 2 fan, but despite owning all of The Sims and their side games... the only two sim games I actively play now are Sims 4 and Sims Medieval. I know it's not a popular opinion to have, but I actually really enjoy TS4. I do miss the crass and brazen humor of TS2, though! Wouldn't mind more of that in TS4, but I know that will never happen. lol
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    I don't understand why you would say it isn't a popular view @Ceres_Meiriona Isn't is selling well? Aren't there a lot of people who like it and play it?

I don't and that's my opinion. :mrgreen:
    I got into The Sims because I enjoyed the challenge of it. I've noticed each newer iteration got easier and easier. Luckily others enjoy the games for different reasons. - stories, pictures, making money on mods/CC/Youtube. :lol:
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    @Ceres_Meiriona how dare you like TS4 and join the unpopular opinion gang ! :p
    On a serious note, where have you beeeeeeeen? Apart from the odd post I haven't seen you for ages.

On topic, I have to agree with @Rflong7 ; although I never played the original Sims, I loved how TS2 was more challenging than TS3. I find myself getting all "ruffled" when I see remarks like "The sims is too hard" or "everything should be easier"
    Why? The games weren't that hard in the first place.

I enjoy a more complex build mode, that has more options, or a challenge at keeping my sims needs balanced. It really gives a sense of accomplishment, and I admit to never understanding why it seems folk want to turn the series into some mindless point and click game that requires no effort :disappointed:
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited May 2018
    Mort_Opal wrote: »
    I think sims 4 is like an updated version of 2. Granted, it will never ever live up to The Sims 2. But, I do like the multitasking and build/buy mode. If they had those features, plus the quirks in 2, the game would be beyond perfect.

pity its not a great updated version.

I think sims themselves are better in 2 and the life stages are apart from toddlers.

If the sims 4 had spent as much time on the sims as two did and added even more to them it could of been a great update.

they spent all the time on build mode which two is limited and create a sim and was lazy with the rest of the game.

bad new-borns and teens along with every other base game feature not present

cant even play the base game to 4 for severe boredom
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• barracuda1574barracuda1574 Posts: 115 Member
    Sims 2 is the best. I would say Sims 2, followed by the Sims, Sims 4 and then Sims 3 bringing up the rear. I tried to get into 3, but I just never seemed to be able to.
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    As a longtime Simmer, I still play TS2 and 3. I can play either one for hours, and I don't notice time passing. I'll say something like "I'll save once x happens", and suddenly it's 4 in the morning. :lol:

I like different things about both, but TS2 feels more "alive" (like, when I go to venues, there are actually people there and not just empty lots). Dating, socializing, and the Nightlife EP in general, kept things dynamic and exciting.

That said, I hate loading screens... and I loved TS3's open world, advanced customization options, etc. The game was ahead of its time, and I'm convinced that it would have been even better if it had been developed by a company who cared about it (and us players) enough to fix the game-breaking bugs before moving onto the next cash cow.

I was excited for TS4 until the reviews started coming in... and nearly all of them were negative. I gave it a chance, but I usually lose interest a few minutes in. Compared to previous iterations, it feels dull, childish, and lifeless; fine for a mobile game, not cool for a full PC release.

The "emotions" (the feature I was most excited for) were a complete trainwreck: awesome in theory, a mess in practice. They seem to be utilitarian, in that they don't enhance gameplay or serve any real purpose beyond doing the same activity in a "different" mood.

I still wish Medieval had gotten the full Sims treatment though. That would have been awesome. And yes, TS4 has toddlers now, but this still makes me laugh-cry everytime.

f2b0c0988f3f314d24352bdfdcfe1b47.jpg

Haha.... this picture killed me XD

In regards to the topic of discussion, TS2 will always be the (highly) superior game. At 10+ years old it offers and does more for me in an *hour* than TS4 has done for me since launch. I like TS3 but it is too much work to run, all those NRaas mod's that are practically must have's to even play the game. That said, the game itself can, again, offer more to do than TS4 ever will, imo.

TS4 is purely atheistic. It's something nice to look at. I lose actual real life days playing TS2.

--T
  • NerdySims99NerdySims99 Posts: 150 Member
    TS2 will (probably) always be my favorite Sims game but I am really enjoying TS4 right now, yes it does have it's problems (but don't all the games?) but I've been having a lot of fun with it! I could never really get into TS3, I played it briefly when it first came out and recently tried playing it again but I just can't get into it. I can certainly see why TS3 is some simmers favorite Sims game but it's just not for me.
    "You've gotta be stirring my pasta."
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited June 2018
    Well it is a personal choice. I love Sims 2 yet hated Sims 3 (didn't like the look of the sims and they seemed robotic, unstable game, so many issues, etc...had no Santa, etc....always crashing, lagging or freezing due to routing issues it seems or how heavy it it with Open World, the Color Wheel, etc.... I rather have Body Shop like with Sims 2. If you mange to play long enough, it gets worse overtime.). I loved the concept of the pack and that and story progression; but don't really miss the frustration with the game.

Sims 4 isn't bad. Easier to run, nice CAS. building is great, love the multitasks. I wished it had story progression and a few other things and gotten off to a rough start; but I play it often and each expansion seems to be improving in my opinion even if not everyone agrees. Not perfect and doesn't beat Sims 2 yet; but it is getting better and beats Sims 3 any day!
    Post edited by XxAirixX on
  • joBaggerjoBagger Posts: 37 Member
    Hello, so I will also add my two pennies...
    Of course I am, Have been and always will be a huge TS2 fan. When TS3 came out I was not excited nor expected it and was very disappointed. first of all because of the sims themeselves which looked repulsive to me. When TS4 was announced and they showed CAS I was over the moon thinking they will improve the mistake which I considered TS3 to be.
    but now.... with all the add on and mods /sliders for TS3 and especially the seasons i honestly believe it is better than TS4 which is nice to look at but lacks the depth which would let me become immersed in the game and attached to the sims.
    So I would sum it up like that...TS3 is still what we might call a Sims game, TS4 is more like a phone app which is a HUGE disappointment.
  • MagnezoneMagnezone Posts: 212 Member
    Personally, I'm a diehard TS2 player, and although I like a few of the features added in TS3, TS4 fits my playstyle better. I don't like how in TS3 turning off story progression doesn't "freeze" the rest of my played characters like it does in TS2. I personally play in a rotational style and TS3 doesn't accommodate for that at all.
    My blog full of things that never get finished!
    XVlamuQ.png
    Magnezone, the lover of Calientes, Lotharios, Landgraabs and Curiouses everywhere.
  • BessiebooBessieboo Posts: 199 Member
    Magnezone wrote: »
    Personally, I'm a diehard TS2 player, and although I like a few of the features added in TS3, TS4 fits my playstyle better. I don't like how in TS3 turning off story progression doesn't "freeze" the rest of my played characters like it does in TS2. I personally play in a rotational style and TS3 doesn't accommodate for that at all.

If you ever did want to give sims 3 another go and don't mind using mods you can get round story progression. I have nraas mods installed and was able to play rotation style.
  • VenessaVeeVenessaVee Posts: 187 Member
    I absolutely love TS2 and once I had found the super collection on the App Store I bought it. It brought back so many memories! I played TS2 for the longest time and refused to play TS3 or 4. It’s been a couple of months now that I’ve started to play sims 4 and do enjoy it but I’ll always love TS2!
  • nnataliaggcnnataliaggc Posts: 15 Member
    I love TS2, and I also love TS3, I still play both of them, TS3 I do more like a story telling thing, as for TS2 more of a cartoonish and gameplay focus. As for the TS4, I've just haven't been able to enjoy it as much as I do the other games. In fact, I kinda hate it, I feel it represents EA in a bad way. I do love it's Build system and CAS, but it bores me in about an hour when I try the gameplay. There are just things that were even in the sims 1 that erk me about the fact that they aren't in TS4, like when you click on something your sim's face won't come up.
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    I was reading back at my first response to this thread and like many others, I explained why I love TS2 and not TS3 or 4. But that really wasn't the question to be answered. As I have been enjoying TS2 the past year, I have found there are things from mostly TS3 that I miss: basements, washers and dryers, the gardening system, wine making. I didn't like not being able to control my families in TS3 so to enjoy it, I tried out a generation challenge. I played one family exclusively from one dirt poor Sim to being a very wealthy large family living in a huge house. And I "rolled" to get their personalities so I had a wide variety of Sims and saw really unexpected interactions. The gardening system and wine making were really fun. Having a basement wine cellar gave a lot of enjoyment as the bottles of wine aged.

I have tried TS4 quite a few times since I bought it and even got an expansion pack trying to get ANY enjoyment out of it. With the tiny neighborhoods, blah Sims, bugs with non-playing families aging, non-played families having babies and them being auto-named - I get bored so fast and give it up.

So if I, as a TS2 lover, couldn't play TS2 anymore, and HAD to chose TS3 or 4, I'd go with TS3.
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 961 Member
    I still play all three games. The Sims 2 is for absolute control over the neighborhood, along with loads of custom context. Sims 3 has the rich open world that evolves on its own, and Sims 4 is a beautiful re-focus on the household with the most physically customizable sims yet. Right now I'm playing the same "family" across four different games -- The Sims 1 all the way to 4.