Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unpopular opinions about ts4

Comments

• hevkerhevker Posts: 84 Member
    I do have a few myself. I don't know if these are all unpopular per se... but here goes.

1. I like the emotions system I just wish it was little more balance so they would stay nervous/angry more often.
    2. I'm not too fussed about terrain editing tools. I actually like the flat base to start with as my building skills are a little lax.
    3. I enjoy toddlers and family play that we have in TS4. That's always been my style of gameplay and I think TS4 lends itself to that well.
    4. I'm not bothered about height sliders.
    5. I do wish the teens looked a little less grown up, I think it's spot on in terms of interactions with their parents but they look like fully grown adults and it irks me.
    6. NPC's. I miss them alot. (I don't think this is an unpopular opinion but I miss the element of danger, burglars, firemen.. even the social bunny.
    7. I wish that there was more drama/negative stuff going on in the game. Every sim seems happy and jolly all the time and I miss the random arguments ect.
    8. I've read some people don't want an education/university pack because it's already been done in previous iterations but I really really want this pack. Uni and Seasons are my two faves and I think it adds realism and will make school grades actually mean something.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I just thought of another one:
    I do not want story progression at all. And if it has to come, I really hope is optional, although I fear that things will get messed up even with it off.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • mommy19959699mommy19959699 Posts: 226 Member
    Here's one that definitely is an unpopular opinion! I don't want EA Game Changers! Yep. I think it causes people to become jealous of one another. One person resigned from being bullied, apparently not good enough to be one (so the bullies say anyway). How about instead EA Game Modders? Those people get so many requests that they could easily tell The Sims team what we want to see in the future. I guess I just don't see the point in the game changers. How are they changing the game? They are just youtubers. Idk lol but that's just my honest opinion on that. Sending them a copy of the pack for free to talk about seemed decent but when you separate them, give them awards, lather them in attention on social media.. people are going to get jealous and lash out. It's not okay but neither is saying a handful of customers are more appreciated than others. My worries is that it could get ugly, hopefully not because I don't see this group that EA created not happening.
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    I don't care one bit about CAST or an open world. And no matter how hard I try I can't find myself caring.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    1. Don't really care for Supernatural sims. They always been so lack luster in every pack, besides Vampires for Sims 4, since they hardly ever impacted gameplay heavily. If they can be as thorough like Vampires, great! If not they're gonna be a pretty useless life state once again just for the sake of novelty.
    2. I really love the CAS clothing. Everything is pretty diverse and I see the fashion holding up really well with the game for however many years. Felt like I could never find anything decent to wear in previous games or most clothing options were just plain ugly. Hardly need to use much CC for clothing.
    3. Really miss the Rap, Rock, and R&B music options in this game. :(
    4. Could use even more television options. I know there's a lot now (depending on the packs you have), but I'd definitely like to have more.
    5. I like hearing the different sounds hearing sims in heels to sneakers on the same ground it's a nice detail.
    6. Not sure I want Uni in this game. Would like to see a pack revolved around education for teens and children than the same thing for young adults or maybe even for ALL of them. Always found the studying part and such boring just to advance a few levels up in a career that would take the same amount of time if you didn't go to school. Would like to unlock certain new careers you couldn't get before going to uni or even online classes? For now I'm pretty meh with it.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    edited July 2018
    Here's one that definitely is an unpopular opinion! I don't want EA Game Changers! Yep. I think it causes people to become jealous of one another. One person resigned from being bullied, apparently not good enough to be one (so the bullies say anyway). How about instead EA Game Modders? Those people get so many requests that they could easily tell The Sims team what we want to see in the future. I guess I just don't see the point in the game changers. How are they changing the game? They are just youtubers. Idk lol but that's just my honest opinion on that. Sending them a copy of the pack for free to talk about seemed decent but when you separate them, give them awards, lather them in attention on social media.. people are going to get jealous and lash out. It's not okay but neither is saying a handful of customers are more appreciated than others. My worries is that it could get ugly, hopefully not because I don't see this group that EA created not happening.

This one I definitely agree with. Putting youtubers' on a pedestal rubs me the wrong way. I understand editing videos takes time and effort and they work hard on their channels - but we all know the special treatment is just EA's way of making sure the free marketing will continue...And I'm like - hello? Most of these youtubers have quit their jobs and are now relying solely on their YT income.... Why would you reward them for doing their literal job when there are people who make TS4 more playable out of true passion, aka modders. Unfortunately modders have smaller platforms and don't advertise them with real names and their faces so they won't even get a collective thank you from EA via twitter or something. Nope. Just the pretty faces screaming OH MY GOD IM SO EXCITED in YT vids.

@AlbaWaterhouse What's so bad about story progression? I think the last time I played TS3 was in 2013 so if I had any issues with it, can't even remember now. I always found it to be a neat feature helping with the overall realism of sims' world.

One unpopular opinion I thought about today is - TS4 soundtrack ain't that bad. It's definitely a grower!

Post edited by agustd on
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2018
    agustd wrote: »

This one I definitely agree with. Putting youtubers' on a pedestal rubs me the wrong way. I understand editing videos takes time and effort and they work hard on their channels - but we all know the special treatment is just EA's way of making sure the free marketing will continue...And I'm like - hello? Most of these youtubers have quit their jobs and are now relying solely on their YT income.... Why would you reward them for doing their literal job when there are people who make TS4 more playable out of true passion, aka modders. Unfortunately modders have smaller platforms and don't advertise them with real names and their faces so they won't even get a collective thank you from EA via twitter or something. Nope. Just the pretty faces screaming OH MY GOD IM SO EXCITED in YT vids.

@mommy19959699 What's so bad about story progression? I think the last time I played TS3 was in 2013 so if I had any issues with it, can't even remember now. I always found it to be a neat feature helping with the overall realism of sims' world.

One unpopular opinion I thought about today is - TS4 soundtrack ain't that bad. It's definitely a grower!
    (agree about the game changers, I consider it cheap and false advertising more than anything else)

As for story progression, I absolutely love it myself but in Sims 3 it didn't work (the EA way) and somewhere around 2012 they must have removed it completely because that's the last time I witnessed it in my game. I'd love it for a game like this, though with a toggle to disable it for those who don't and I'd want it way more advanced than the TS3 vanilla version.
    5JZ57S6.png
    @agustd Are you sure you meant me? I LOVE story progression lol, not sure I mentioned it here. I would never go against story progression, one of the features I tend to bring up on getting it back.
  • agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    @agustd Are you sure you meant me? I LOVE story progression lol, not sure I mentioned it here. I would never go against story progression, one of the features I tend to bring up on getting it back.

Oh, must have tagged you accidentally. Sorry for summoning you here for nothing :D

Oh, must have tagged you accidentally. Sorry for summoning you here for nothing :D

Not for nothing, it was nice to see others actually feel the way I do :p but hey np.
    @agustd For a player like myself, story progression will distroy my gameplay style. I love to micromanage my worlds and decide who gets together with who, who gets a job where, and so on. I mostly play rotational and want to be in control of my households. I don't want to have my families autonomosly have another child off screen for example.
    I know they could implement the progression with options and toggles for people that don't want it in their games. But based on other existing features and the way the game works, I am confident that somehow some aspects of story progression will be unavoidable.
  • MikeytMikeyt Posts: 42 Member
    1. I'm not fussed if they didn't make anymore occults. I'd rather they concentrated on more 'real life' gameplay
    2. I love stuffpacks, the more the merrier!
    3. I'm not fussed if we never receive terrian tools
    4. I don't mind if we never seen open world for The Sims 4. I would, however, like it if they re-worked the current neighborhoods where we could see people leaving their houses like the apartment system where you see your neighbors leaving their apartments.
  • BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member

I agree 100% , :)
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    It's quickly become better than TS3 imo. The only thing I liked about TS3 was open world and story progression. The character customizon was ugly, the worlds felt limited with all the rabbit holes, and there were so many unecessary packs like Showtime and Into the Future. TS3 is very overrated and TS4 reminds me more of TS2, which was the best iteration.
    mika wrote: »
    It's quickly become better than TS3 imo. The only thing I liked about TS3 was open world and story progression. The character customizon was ugly, the worlds felt limited with all the rabbit holes, and there were so many unecessary packs like Showtime and Into the Future. TS3 is very overrated and TS4 reminds me more of TS2, which was the best iteration.
    “Quickly”? The game will very soon be four years old.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    Unpopular opinion: I don't care that CASt is gone. Using it in TS3 always took ages and I'm actually glad that TS4 forces me to make a choice and go with it rather than agonize over patterns and colors etc. Totally understand and respect why others do want it, though.

Another opinion: I don't want TS4 to end in a few years. I'd rather it go on for another decade if they could continue to make interesting content and packs. The game runs so fluidly and looks so nice that I'd happily keep on playing it and getting new things to do. I can't get to grips with the idea of starting over and waiting for all the stuff needed to make a base game feel "complete" on another iteration.
  • skelebeeskelebee Posts: 101 Member
    I've never been a fan of the occult packs/gameplay because I prefer a more realistic playing style. Vampires, werewolves, and witches just don't appeal to me in a game that's meant to be a life simulation. Although, I do enjoy the odd paranormal experience, like alien abductions if they're infrequent enough, if only to shake up gameplay.
    edited July 2018
    bizuktag wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion: I don't care that CASt is gone. Using it in TS3 always took ages and I'm actually glad that TS4 forces me to make a choice and go with it rather than agonize over patterns and colors etc. Totally understand and respect why others do want it, though.

Another opinion: I don't want TS4 to end in a few years. I'd rather it go on for another decade if they could continue to make interesting content and packs. The game runs so fluidly and looks so nice that I'd happily keep on playing it and getting new things to do. I can't get to grips with the idea of starting over and waiting for all the stuff needed to make a base game feel "complete" on another iteration.
    But what if that basegame were interesting enough to play all by itself? I have a son who doesn’t play Sims but he does play lots of other games and the self-evidence with which I approach a €60 basegame (bare, not much to do ‘yet’) I notice is completely beyond him. I think it’s perfectly possible to create an interesting, absorbing Sims basegame, as long as they’ve got all the life stages fleshed out and a gameplay system that is interesting and personality based. Expansions should be cherries on the cake, not a layer of cream on a pile of dirt.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

And? It took Sims 3 longer before it was enjoyable.

Oh? Sims 3 didn’t last longer than 4 years. And its last addition was ITF, which you say you found an unnecessary pack. I’m a lot more positive about Sims 3 than you, but you are of course entitled to a negative opinion about the game. I disagree Sims 3 is very overrated though. Other people being positive about something doesn’t mean they are overrating it. It just means they like/love something you don’t.
    5JZ57S6.png
    I have another one:
    - Alpha CC freaks me out. I don't know why but it makes me really unconfortable to look at it.
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member

not as long as its taking the sims 4 :p

i'm still waiting for the enjoyment with the sims 4 :#
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    edited July 2018
    I feel like a lot of these have been said but here are mine
    1. I do not miss open worlds at all. The semi open neighborhoods are perfect to me. Also having the ability to travel to all the neighborhoods without moving is an incredible feature to me. Lack of open world made this possible and I love it. My sims have more to do than in sims 3 because they can travel the different neighborhoods/worlds. Plus the lots are super populated. My sims actually have friends now.
    2. I originally loved that they skipped the toddler lifespan in the base game. I hated toddlers in previous editions as they couldn’t do anything for themselves and my poor sims never were able to do anything but take care of them. It gave the team time to make the best toddlers ever and give them to us for free. I adore toddlers in sims 4.
    3. I do not care for occult sims as I play realistically. I never really used them in 2 or 3. Only ones I liked were witches.
    4. I do not at all mind loading screens. Like some said on one of the first few pages it gives me a second to plan out what I’m doing. Plus they are super short. Sims 3 loading into a save was longer than all loading screens in a 4 hour playing session in sims 4. I swear it took thirty minutes in the end to fully load a sims 3 save.
    5. I love the art style on this game. I think the graphics are beautiful!
  • BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member

While I understand some of your points, I can't understand how one could look at The Sims 4's worlds and think that they are less limited than The Sims 3's. The Sims 3 had a big rabbithole problem, and by that I mean, it replaced formerly open places like restaurants, stores, etc. with rabbitholes. That was a huge gripe with me for the game for years. Finally in the end we got the option for a lot of open venues, including restaurants.

In the end, I'm not seeing how The Sims 4 is so much better. Sure there are some venues in Get to Work that were never open previously, but otherwise... The only difference between The Sims 3 complete edition and The Sims 4 is that the 'rabbitholes' are off of the map, like in TS1 and TS2. They aren't opened, they just aren't there.

TS4 is the most limited I have ever felt in a The Sims game. The worlds are pretty, but the bulk of them are decoration (and decoration you have no options to customize). The game also gives the illusion of you having a partially open world, but it's not really open at all, other than being able to scroll your camera through it. I don't feel like I can send my Sims to community lots like I can in TS3. For one thing, if I send a Sim to a community lot while another is at school/work, the sim at school/work will come back home, messing things up. Also I can't multitask my Sims while one is at home and the other is at a community lot. This all makes the game feel frustrating and limited beyond belief. I'm sure the former is a glitch, but it doesn't matter whether it is or not when it keeps on happening, now does it?

They tried to create something that wasn't open world like TS3, but would still bridge the gap, but they failed, to be honest. This game is a bit of a mess.

Certainly Showtime was a redundant EP, and the TS fandom didn't really like it back then, I can tell you. I think I ended up only buying it when I found it for $6. Lol. I wouldn't say that ITF was so bad, though. It was a neat concept and it was something completely original, unlike Showtime.

Don't think for one second that the mindset that led to Showtime is much different from what we see today. What do you think led to Pets being split into both an EP and a SP?
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member

@AlbaWaterhouse What's so bad about story progression? I think the last time I played TS3 was in 2013 so if I had any issues with it, can't even remember now. I always found it to be a neat feature helping with the overall realism of sims' world.

@mommy19959699, @agustd: I just want to debunk a few things about what you've said regarding EA Game Changers.
    1. It's not just YouTubers that are Game Changers. There are streamers, bloggers, CC makers, and modders, too, that are all part of the program.
    2. Most [Sims'] YouTubers haven't quit their jobs - off the top of my head, I can only think of 4 or 5 that use YT as their sole income. I'd say the majority of YouTubers work at least one job or are students.
    3. There's many game changers that attend events and they're able to directly interact with producers and Gurus; therefore, they're able to ask questions that their supporters have as well as give suggestions for improvements or changes to the game.
    4. There are also many game changers and other Simmers too that are critical of The Sims and some of their releases. This is constructive criticism and feedback that the team takes on board, which I think is nice. If all you're seeing is 'pretty faces screaming...,' then perhaps you should look for different Game Changers, there's plenty out there to be found.

This isn't something to be debunked, but I don't understand the whole jealousy thing when it comes to other Game Changers. I mean, I've gotten jealous because someone could build better than me, but then I just practice and I slowly improve on it. Being a Game Changer is about way more than getting early access copies of games or attending EA events. Anyone can become one, so I don't see the need for jealous or things getting ugly over it.

Just my two p.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top