Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Started making my first World this week...

123457...Next

Comments

• Mrknowitall526Mrknowitall526 Posts: 386 Member
    The thing with placing benches in the world (NOT on a lot) is that your sim will decide to get an ice cream then drive 10 miles to that bench to sit and eat it.
    It's best to make it a small lot (small park or similar) so sims are not driving forever just to sit and eat or read a book. It will still look like part of the scenery.
    Good luck with your world - CAW is so frustrating and time consuming but the end results are very rewarding.

The benches you can see are on a separate lot!
    Namaya92 wrote: »
    Give me your tumblr link and I'll follow you! Your decorations look great! I never have the patience to go through all the decor when making a room so mine always look a little empty XD.

I didn't make it yet, we'll see!

And agree with the decor items ... I was on the phone for about an hour, so it was a nice distraction!

The problem with this 64x64 lot is I spent so much time on both separate buildings and only 1 of them will be used at a time. Trying to decide how many hidden markers to place. Maybe I'll do two actual units in each building as furnished to give the player some choice.
    More pictures...

screenshot_original.jpg
    Now that I see that picture, I actually really hate the color scheme of those cabinets ^

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg
    I thought this was clever, it's the 2nd floor of the lobby from the main floor. But I actually made it a little sun patio type room from one of the condo units - there's a door that links it to the dining room of the previous picture!

Apparently this thread got moved here, didn't know that ... I didn't post it here to begin with because it doesn't seem to have much traffic!
  • Fireheart2010Fireheart2010 Posts: 148 Member
    What a wonderful job! I too am building my first world. How is yours coming?
    peace_love_adopt_rectangular_sticker-r4646840974ac43558d16db15cbd53fcb_v9wxo_8byvr_307.jpg?rvtype=content

What a wonderful job! I too am building my first world. How is yours coming?

I took about for about a week, it's exhausting! I got to a point where EIG mode is taking 30 minutes to save and Exporting has failed, which someone has said means I have too much custom content in my game so I have to work around it. I got kind of "scared" so I took a break, haha. It sounded tedious. I still have several lots I need to place/build.
    > @Mrknowitall526 said:
    > Fireheart2010 wrote: »
    >
    > What a wonderful job! I too am building my first world. How is yours coming?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I took about for about a week, it's exhausting! I got to a point where EIG mode is taking 30 minutes to save and Exporting has failed, which someone has said means I have too much custom content in my game so I have to work around it. I got kind of "scared" so I took a break, haha. It sounded tedious. I still have several lots I need to place/build.

so if you use too much cc in EIG mode it won't export? How much cc is too much because I have a TON!
    peace_love_adopt_rectangular_sticker-r4646840974ac43558d16db15cbd53fcb_v9wxo_8byvr_307.jpg?rvtype=content

> @Mrknowitall526 said:
    >
    > What a wonderful job! I too am building my first world. How is yours coming?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I took about for about a week, it's exhausting! I got to a point where EIG mode is taking 30 minutes to save and Exporting has failed, which someone has said means I have too much custom content in my game so I have to work around it. I got kind of "scared" so I took a break, haha. It sounded tedious. I still have several lots I need to place/build.

so if you use too much cc in EIG mode it won't export? How much cc is too much because I have a TON!

It's evidently not how much you use, but how much you have installed in your game, from what I gather. CC includes store items.

The "workaround" is to remove the DC Cache folder while you export - which means CAW won't export the CC with the world, so the file is smaller.
    > @Mrknowitall526 said:
    >
    > > @Mrknowitall526 said:
    > > Fireheart2010 wrote: »
    > >
    > > What a wonderful job! I too am building my first world. How is yours coming?
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > I took about for about a week, it's exhausting! I got to a point where EIG mode is taking 30 minutes to save and Exporting has failed, which someone has said means I have too much custom content in my game so I have to work around it. I got kind of "scared" so I took a break, haha. It sounded tedious. I still have several lots I need to place/build.
    >
    > so if you use too much cc in EIG mode it won't export? How much cc is too much because I have a TON!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It's evidently not how much you use, but how much you have installed in your game, from what I gather. CC includes store items.
    >
    > The "workaround" is to remove the DC Cache folder while you export - which means CAW won't export the CC with the world, so the file is smaller.

Oh okay, I don't have much store content, I do however have a lot of downloaded store content from TSR and MTS. It seems like such a hassle to have to work around it.

I've totally forgotten that I was doing this ... wondering what I was still thinking before I took a long break!
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Completely understandable. If you do want to continue, why not start on an area you have not tackled before. There is such much work that it can seem overwhelming. Bite size pieces of development allow you to keep control although I would still have an overall plan in place for creating your world. Good Luck.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've been there before with Logan while I was working on it in CAW though I'm currently adding lots to it in a save file as I forgot that in CAW when exporting it and it's working fine.I love the town anyways and spent long enough working on it.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Hawkflight1066Hawkflight1066 Posts: 245 Member
    I have to admire your tenacity. I have given up after just six weeks of CAW. I can't even get into EIG any longer because although I spent a few weeks studying, watching videos, finding tutorials and practicing making roads before beginning a world somehow I didn't get the memo about Store Content. I tried not to include any CC out of respect for users who don't want it in their game, but I do have a lot of store content, and as I built my first houses, a couple of hefty mansions, the game began to crash...... and crash......, and so I loaded the world into my game and worked on it in live mode, then went back to EIG and imported my new lots. After a while I couldn't even do that - EIG would refuse to save. And now, although I can get into CAW I can't get into EIG. No matter how long I wait for it to load.
    If I had a shred of artistic ability I'd be very upset about all this, but having discovered my complete lack of interest or inspiration in actually creating a world from a nasty lump of greenness - well I'm more annoyed that that EA Games didn't make a better product, than I'm disappointed at having hit a brick wall.
  • ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    If I had a shred of artistic ability I'd be very upset about all this, but having discovered my complete lack of interest or inspiration in actually creating a world from a nasty lump of greenness - well I'm more annoyed that that EA Games didn't make a better product, than I'm disappointed at having hit a brick wall.

@Hawkflight1066: I don't understand what you mean when you say that EA Games didn't make a better product. It's like when people load up on mods, the game crashes and then blame the developers for creating a buggy game.

Like you said, the problem you're having with CAW has to do with the store content you included. CAW was only meant to support the base game and EPs, not CC or store content. This makes sense, since a large part of CAW is about sharing your world with other players and not everyone is going to have the same store content. If you are really intent in making the most use out of CAW, then my suggestion is to start over with a fresh world and leave out the store content. Otherwise, you are missing out on the best that the program has to offer if you just throw up your hands, blame EA and quit. If all of us had done that years ago, none of us would be where we are now.

EiFlric.png
  • Hawkflight1066Hawkflight1066 Posts: 245 Member
    Yes indeed, I could start over with a fresh world. I won't, because I've discovered I don't enjoy making the world itself. No artistic vision or patience. I just wanted to learn how to use CAW as a personal "not too old to learn it" challenge. I do like to build lots, and I'm just sad that CAW remains so limited. I think by now, nearly 10 years after Sims 3 came out, most dedicated players have bought a lot of the EPs if not all of them, plus store content, and I'm disappointed not to be able to use it all in CAW. Didn't do enough homework first.
    I know what you mean, that's what led me to put the build on "pause" - also, I'm a teacher I haven't had time since the school year started! But I did upgrade to a SSD and actually CAW runs a lot better. The last I had worked on it, I thought about just packaging it up the way it is, some parts are very full of lots, others are empty. That fits the best of both worlds (no pun intended).
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Posts: 41 Member
    Does anyone know if you need to place sidewalks separately? Or can you just place roads? Struggling to find an answer to this on google.
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you need to place sidewalks separately? Or can you just place roads? Struggling to find an answer to this on google.

Hey :) the sidewalk is joined to the road so you don't need to place them separately. You can use the separate ones for paths for your Sims around the world.
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Posts: 41 Member
    Ok so I am nearly done with my world just nee to do some final tweaking... But when I go to edit in game in CAW the screen won't edge scroll...It rotates and can move up and down so its not frozen... But it won't edge scroll. This is very frustrating as my lot are build further down and I can't really get to them to edit. Am I just being a total noob and not using the wrong keys or what?