Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Things builders do that annoys you?

Comments

• chrissie11778chrissie11778 Posts: 223 Member
    Reksoh wrote: »
    If you are a builder, build what you want, you cannot please everyone so don't even try. This game is supposed to be fun, not a job.

no one ever said otherwise :)
    This whole thread says "otherwise."

cc4simscomindugledv.jpg
  • ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    If you are a builder, build what you want, you cannot please everyone so don't even try. This game is supposed to be fun, not a job.

no one ever said otherwise :)
    This whole thread says "otherwise."

Sorry but no. Not at all. When I say I like toilet paper in my bathrooms, it does not equate to me saying "Builders, you need to start putting toilet paper in your bathrooms or else!". Its just me saying what I like. The whole thread is just peoples' personal preferences. What one person may love, another may despise (as is seen by many peoples responses, not everyone enjoys the same things)

Theres a big difference there, and I think some of you honestly need to learn to take things a little less personally if I'm being honest. :)

@ikiamyetta thank you, I'm glad the discussion was enjoyable at least for some of us :)
  • LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,826 Member
    ikiamyetta wrote: »
    @ListentoToppDogg Where should the litter box be placed? Most people I know with cats have theirs in the bathroom. Some have it in the kitchen( :s )

In real life you don't place a litter box in the kitchen where their food is. They don't like it or at least mine don't. So I always placed it in the bathroom and she likes it there.

I say kitchen but it was an odd setup. I'm not a cat person IRL so it's not an issue for me. My few sims with cats have the boxes in the laundry room
  • N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    @Reksoh, sorry things got derailed. I enjoyed most of the thread and your intentions were good. Sadly these types of things can be misunderstood with all the different personalities and view points. For some people it's hard to not take It personal when someone dislikes something they do. Personally I was amused by how many people hate things that I love (and do/continue to do in my builds).

19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    not adding laundry rooms,we all know we need it and they r in most homes but they r never in the houses in gallery

very few houses IRL in England have laundry rooms, only the rich and very large houses. most have their washing machine and dryer in the kitchen. or maybe a small shed. attached to the house. in sims I put mine in the kitchen. you don't need a whole room for a washing machine.
  • FaoiltearnaFaoiltearna Posts: 767 Member
    not adding laundry rooms,we all know we need it and they r in most homes but they r never in the houses in gallery

very few houses IRL in England have laundry rooms, only the rich and very large houses. most have their washing machine and dryer in the kitchen. or maybe a small shed. attached to the house. in sims I put mine in the kitchen. you don't need a whole room for a washing machine.

Even in the States, not all houses/apartments have separate laundry rooms. Every place I've lived in (and I'm nearly 50 yrs old and have been a military kid and for a while a military spouse, so moved a lot) has had the washer/dryer share space in some other room. Usually the bathroom. So yeah, litter boxes in the bathroom (which is almost always where we had them for our cats) is pretty normal for me. Everything shares space in the bathroom if there's proper room. :grin:
  • kemiszkemisz Posts: 602 Member

How odd! In Australia I have never actually been in a house that didn't have a separate laundry room. I need my space to do my laundry! If I can't spread my folding over a three square feet of room, is it even worth doing?!

My EA ID is TranquilloSims - where I upload starter homes, family homes and some more ambitious creations.

• BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited June 2018
    kemisz wrote: »

How odd! In Australia I have never actually been in a house that didn't have a separate laundry room. I need my space to do my laundry! If I can't spread my folding over a three square feet of room, is it even worth doing?!

Im 99% of Swedish homes the laundry machine and dryer is in the largest bathroom.

Litter boxes... When we had cats it was in the bathroom. We had to remind guests to open the bathroom door a bit when they were "done".
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I want to start off by saying how appreciative I am of this community's builders. But I thought it would be cool to discuss common pet peeves we have when downloading lots off the gallery. Small things that you feel like you must "fix" or that make you scrap it and go for another lot entirely.

For me, its when the toilets dont have toilet paper next to them. I know the sims dont really use it but I get paranoid about it and must have it on the wall next to every toilet. This is something I fix in every lot i download lol. What about you guys?

Do you really know how much time it takes to decorate an entire house? And maybe they are trying to keep the price down so no one has to cheat to be able to afford a house. I know it has taken me ten hours or longer to actually decorate homes and build them and landscape etc. in all these games. Some homes have taken me days needing a break after several hours. And someone wants to complain about a toilet roll they don't even actually use? If it's multi level it can take two or three days to finish unless you can sit at a pc for fifteen hours etc. Builders don't just whip this stuff out in a few hours. Not one that is fully loaded with a sense of atmosphere. (And fake cars?) lol some things are a representation and not necessarily meant to be played or used. Builders are also modlers and build what they see. For anyone who can't build many of the lots you see on the site are actually homes, (from the outside etc.) it's extremely hard to make the interrior of a home make sense when you want to represent the outside of a real home. A window may be in the wrong place indoors but make sense outside. For all those complaining, try it, you will like it, but extremely hard at times to make things indoors make sense outside on the wall. Or real blue prints then make that outside roof fit that indoor floor plan. Then you may appreciate why a toilet roll was left off and prefer your own buildings.

@Cinebar Can you point out where I complained? I just said I add the rolls myself. Is that complaining?

@EA_Cian Could you please close this discussion? I didn't think it would offend anyone but of course in this day and age I was wrong about that. :) I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings when I created it.

No need to close this thread. I'm just pointing out the obvious of sometimes other people don't have any idea how long it takes to decorate what they spent hours building already. And an oversight in decorating (or trying to keep the cost down) is quite hilarious to me. But I also have one to know if MOO was used or not. But it isn't such a big deal in TS4 since these Sims can just walk through stuff like it was for the older games.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    edited June 2018
    I'm a builder but I build for myself first and if I like the way it turned out I'll share it. I use MOO but all my builds are play tested as most of my sims live in them. I don't look to see how many packs I use because I own almost all of them and I might as well get my money's worth.
    Right now I've been redoing houses that come with the base game or expansions. I usually redo the layout and change them up a bit. It's been a lot of fun.

I also don't download houses from the gallery often and when I do I usually change them to fit my needs. I don't download houses with garages at all. I think it's because they have no use and to me, it looks silly when there is no use for it. Don't get me wrong some of the houses are gorgeous.

The next time I upload something I'll keep this thread in mind. Maybe I'll try to challenge myself to build a base game only house or something. :)
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • DeerLordDeerLord Posts: 236 Member
    When things aren't playtested to the point where essentials are unusable, or there's something permanently blocking the view unless you only play at a very specific angle. If it's intentional I'd appreciate at least a "just for show" tag or something so people know before downloading it to play in.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I think it may be when somebody ends up using clutter to the point that it's actually covering other clutter - meaning that it's taking up room and money pointlessly. Or forgetting that you can resize things to save using more items. It happens a lot with gardens.

People who use really expensive clutter are also annoying. I can clutter the place up without spending S2000 on it.

I prefer to confine clutter to corners. If a place is looking empty, I would rather fill it with something functional.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    When it comes to Maxis designs:

1. Windows placed too high. Why? Typical example: the converted warehouse by the river. It has huge windows, but they START at head level of adult sims! WTH?
    2. The gym in Windenburg. It's just an awful, awful design.
    3. The already mentioned "useless upstairs"
    4. The EMPTY upstairs (several buildings, like the big mansion in Windenburg, has EMPTY top floors with NO stairs to them!)

That gym is the worse. I have been debating on deleting it for a while now. I think I am going to LOL
    I find it a bid sad that a few ppl here has felt so defensive about this thread. Build whatever you want, it's that simple!

At the same time, though, there seems to be a difference between "Builders" and "Players", which I guess is to be expected. I also feel a lot of times that people who have favorited or commented on some builds are other builders, not players. Houses that clearly aren't playable in any real sense of the word have tons of comments on how cool they are and how great they are.

Two quick examples: One of the most popular (and heavily "cheated") penthouses right now in the store: It looks great. But the stairs were bugged, all my sims kept resetting when using the stairs. ANY playtesting would have caught that (It turns out something was bugged with the walls the stairs ran against; deleting stairs AND walls, then rebuilding them, made the bug go away).
    The other was just after Get Together came out. I was on the lookout for a cute house in Windenburg, found one that looked amazing... And couldn't play it because there was, no kidding, so so SO much junk everywhere that even though the living room was huge, all my sims had to always walk single file and clip thru corners to get around, because there was books on the floor, backpacks on the floor... I ended up deleting 90% of the decorations.

And again, all those cars. Not only on residential lots, but on restaurants or what have you. And the biggest issue there, apart from it looking awful because they're CLEARLY resized toys, but you can't place the lot where you want it, because the "parking lot" ends up in a weird place.
    A typical example is a very cool looking bowling / restaurant lot I downloaded, which has a huge oarking lot in front. Which means it doesn't look good at all placed where I want it, since the map has a hedge, or simply a sidewalk with street lights blocking "the parking lot", so the cars, even if they could drive, would not be able to go from the street to the parking lot and back. So I have to spend 45 minutes designing a park instead, in that part of the lot, after bulldozing all the cars and asphalt.
    And, again, on residential lots? They take up so much space...!

My personal feelings on cars are: Sims 4 takes place in a world where private citizens don't own cars. Just roll with it, and build accordingly.

I have a lot of lots like that, which I have "fixed" for actual game play and I almost feel like re-upload (with credits, of course) but haven't because I don't want people 🐸🐸🐸🐸 off.

Again, the idea here is not to tell people how to build, but yes, to vent, for a bit but also to let people who upload a lot to the gallery know why, maybe, they don't get more downloads despite putting so much work into something? All it really comes down to is that live in your house. Just for a single Sim day. Can you get to the fridge without clipping through the stove? Can you get to the telescope AT ALL behind that tree or did you just MOO it off (but it looks beautiful)? And can your sims get to the second floor without resetting???

edited June 2018
    Loanet wrote: »
    I think it may be when somebody ends up using clutter to the point that it's actually covering other clutter - meaning that it's taking up room and money pointlessly. Or forgetting that you can resize things to save using more items. It happens a lot with gardens.

People who use really expensive clutter are also annoying. I can clutter the place up without spending S2000 on it.

I prefer to confine clutter to corners. If a place is looking empty, I would rather fill it with something functional.

There is "clutter", and there is "junk", I feel. Basically putting a backpack and a staple of books in a corner in a kid's study is great. Looks realistic and gives a "homey" feeling.
    Using MOO to fit in 1000 pieces of clutter in / on / under every surface? That's a hoarder. Or a cooky old wizard's tower in Dungeon & Dragons.

Again, the two major problems with it is 1. It makes the weekly bills much higher, and 2. It gets in the way.
    And of course a minor gripe: I have to delete all your hard work anyway, since I want to fit in my career rewards, my school science projects and my snow globes.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I've been thinking about this thread for a couple days now and I can't help but laugh. A lot of you said you don't build, can't build, or suck at building but then you have the nerve to tell us builders how we should build? Yeah, it don't work like that. We build how we build, you're free to change whatever you want for your sim but please refrain from telling builders how they should build. Either that or learn to build yourself!

I did. I like my own builds better.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Many of these complaints are about personal preferences. The builds on the gallery reflect the builder's preferences. There is not usually anything about builds themselves that I dislike. Most are easy to fixes and if I am downloading it just means I don't want to start from complete scratch.

The only thing I hate is the stop stealing type hastags on builds. Those immediately have me disliking a builder without even looking at any of their creations. I make a note of those origin names so I can skip over them. That hastag meaning tells me that their builds are just purely junk to me.

Personally when I build, I do it only for myself or my kids who play the game. My origin account is accessible via 3 computers, so saving to the gallery makes it easier to share between them all. I barely even pay attention to if others people download or like my builds. When I see the pop up message that some has downloaded it, I am very surprised.

In my opinion, if they are so worried someone might redownload, they can keep it. I don't want it, I don't need it. I can do it myself.
  • BelongtoLCMSBelongtoLCMS Posts: 125 Member
    There is not much in any actual builds that I dislike. If I get something off the gallery, I always download it unfurnished. I build mostly for myself, but sometimes am too lazy to make the starting shell. I am more into designing decor of the home.

For me, I just avoid certain hashtags. Not going into too much detail on specific ones, but will say it has made me not view certain builders positively. I also list any changes I made if I need to use the gallery as cloud storage.
  • SherryRNSherryRN Posts: 45 Member
    I like browsing the builds, but I'll admit there's not a single build that I've downloaded and used just as it is. I always have to change something. I am grateful to those who do most of the work, though.
  • John_SalonicaJohn_Salonica Posts: 353 Member
    edited June 2018
    Im a builder, however sometimes i get lazy and want to download something made by another builder.

1)I hate when the houses are FULL of decor, sometimes your sims cant even walk lol.
    2) I also hate when they use move objects too much. Or when they make useless TINY rooms (like toilets when the house already have like 4 lol) just to fill the space.
    3) when they use A TON of custom contect.
    4)When they use moveobjects to make fake lounge chairs that your sims cant use when u play, or when they forget to add doors and windows.
    Post edited by John_Salonica on
    xyIcMqt.png
  • PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I hate when it's not been play tested and you find that sims can't go through certain areas because it's somehow blocked. So you have to go all the way into build/buy and fix it. :D
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member

I have mine in the bathroom because I have lived in apartments most of my life and the suites with a washer and dryers that I have lived in always put the washer and dryer in the bathroom and not a separate room. I think as a builder I have only created a separate washroom for laundry 2 times and one was on a 64x64 and the other was the big penthouse in the city.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • thesleepingsatellitethesleepingsatellite Posts: 34 Member
    > @Francl27 said:
    > Foundations. Just too much of a pain with puppies!
    >
    > I do end up putting clutter all over the bathroom counters, but it's so that my Sims don't go in there to cook...

That's such a good idea! I've had this problem in a number of builds. I'll have to remember it.
  • thesleepingsatellitethesleepingsatellite Posts: 34 Member
    > @ikiamyetta said:
    > @ListentoToppDogg Where should the litter box be placed? Most people I know with cats have theirs in the bathroom. Some have it in the kitchen( :s )

In the sims, I usually try to treat the litter box as one would in real life. If there is a basement, I put it in a furnace / storage room there. If there isn't a basement, it goes in a storage room elsewhere. If there's no storage room, yeah, it goes in the bathroom. People with small houses or apartments often keep their litter boxes in the bathroom in real life.

That said, I don't always treat it as I would in real life. If I have stairs, I sometimes put a pet door in the wall to the space under the stairs, and put the litter box that zaps the poop in there.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited June 2018
    I'm so particular about how I like the houses to be that I started building them all by myself. Then I started doing the same with public lots and now I basically don't download anything from the gallery. Although I love to scroll around since some people have amazing skills and imagination.
    As for myself, I use moo only to place plants and stuff like that and I get very paranoid about clipping and leaves going into the walls for example. I don't build for show, all the builds or rooms I upload is because I make them for my game and my Sims so they always have a good balance between playability and nice aesthetic (but of course, my concept of what nice is).

If I had to pick something I don't like about other people's build, it would be:
    Garages and sized up toy cars. They look hideous and it's such a waste of space!
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.