Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Any idea why my band's gig isn't working?

This might be little too detailed, but I'm anxious to find the reason for this problem and I'm not sure which details are relevant!

I'm playing in Sunlit Tides. William, my active sim, is a drummer in a band called Children of the Ocean. The guitarist and only other band member, Ruru, is an inactive sim.
Neither of them are in the self-employed band profession.

They weren't getting any gig opportunities spontaneously, so I used Master Controller to spawn one. They got a gig at The Hideaway, which is originally built as a hangout, but in my game it's either a local watering hole or a dive bar (I forgot which), with a professional bar and all the instruments.

I first noticed a problem when I clicked on "Go to gig" on the map. My sim went out of his house, walked towards the road and did the hand gesture sims always do before entering their car, but his car remained in his inventory. He walked back towards the house, then back towards the road, then back towards the house... he kept circling like this for a while, until I turned testingcheats on and teleported him to The Hideaway.

He has never had a problem getting from his house into the car before.

In case it was relevant, this was during a hailstorm in game.

His other band member, Ruru, was already there. I clicked on the drum set and chose "Play gig", then "Rock". Both of them went towards their instruments and played for a few seconds... but then they stopped, and I saw "order drink" in William's queue. I cancelled it and ordered him to "play gig" again. He went to the drumset with an open umbrella, closed, opened it again, and playing the gig was gone from his queue. I repeated this about ten times. He just kept opening and closing his umbrella, and his bandmate would occasionally pick up the guitar and put it back down.

These screenshots are from the beginning, when they actually started playing:

UVBzVJ6.jpg

2EpujAx.jpg

I got tired of this and exited the game. From what I wrote and what you can see in the screenshots, does anyone have an idea what might be causing the problem?
Is it because it's an outdoor venue and there is a hailstorm, making them want to open their umbrellas? (Although they are under a roof, I think sims need walls to be protected from the weather.) Still, the mixologist and the sim drinking at the bar don't have umbrellas and they seem to be fine...

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2018
    To me it sounds like a routing or not enough space issue. Because that’s when sims cancel orders is my experience.

(not enough space is a very relative term in this game where it comes to musical instruments; I once had a sim who’d consistently move to the garden whenever he wanted to play his guitar - snow, no snow, he didn’t care - while in my perception he could have organized a huge dance ball in his living room without breaking anything; he however figured he didn’t have enough room there)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    Thank you for responding, @JoAnne65 ! I did think of the possibility that there wasn't enough space, but in the second screenshot William is already using the drums and Ruru is holding the guitar, which means that they were at least able to get to the instruments and start using them.

It just occurred to me while I was typing this that maybe there needs to be space not only for the sims playing the instruments, but also additional free space around them for the listeners?
  • Options
    Yes, that’s what I figured as well. You could test it by making more room?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    @JoAnne65 , I will try that and hope it will work!
  • Options
    Hope you’ll solve it, it’s always frustrating when things like this don’t work properly...
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    @Joanne65 , thank you again for your advice. It was a space issue, just as you thought it was! I returned to the backup save to start the day again, enlarged the venue a bit and placed the instruments a little further apart, and this time they were able to play the gig!

bz0feB4.jpg
  • Options
    Yaaaay! And awesome pic too!
    5JZ57S6.png