Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 on 4k/5k iMac

13...Next

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Anita281 wrote: »
    hey again! i was wondering, would this 4k imac work for sims 4? here are its specs:

3.4GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
    8GB 2400MHz DDR4
    256GB SSD
    Radeon Pro 560 with 4GB video memory

Yes. Having a bigger SSD shouldn't hurt as 256Gb isn't very big.
    apple-signature.png
  • Anita281Anita281 Posts: 14 New Member
    @BluebellFlora i wouldn't want to go above my budget.
    i also have another imac that i also want to see if it can run sims 4;
    3.0GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
    8GB 2400MHz DDR4
    256GB SSD
    Radeon Pro 555 with 2GB video memory
  • elram76elram76 Posts: 61 Member
    Hey Mac Simmers! I recently got a new iMac and was wondering if anyone has found the ideal settings to play at. I have:
    iMac Retina 5K 27 inch
    3.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    16gb memory
    Radeon Pro 570 4096 MB

Thanks!
  • DarayaVahu777DarayaVahu777 Posts: 12 New Member
    > @elram76 said:
    > Hey Mac Simmers! I recently got a new iMac and was wondering if anyone has found the ideal settings to play at. I have:
    > iMac Retina 5K 27 inch
    > 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    > 16gb memory
    > Radeon Pro 570 4096 MB
    >
    > Thanks!

So you mean it doesn't work well at ultra settings? at native resolution 5120x2880 or at least at half (which is 2560x1440)?
    It's hard to find reviews, since it's brand new update, especially how well sims work,
    since you are one of first to have it, it would be so great if you could review how well it plays sims 4, pretty please.
  • elram76elram76 Posts: 61 Member
    I haven't tried on ultra settings...guess I need to give that a whirl. I currently have everything on high and lighting on very high and it looks beautiful and smooth. I'll keep ya posted.

-e
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    zombiesue wrote: »
    Interesting. I have a 4k monitor on my windows laptop and Origin / TS4 has some UI scaling problems that are very irritating.

on PC the game is not designed to run in 4k. You will have problems. Try playing in windowed mode if you choose to play in 4k.

BTW this is the Mac section not PC. The game runs differently on Mac

Do you know if the Mac version scales natively at 4K? Like the UI and everything is programmed better on the Mac version? Or does it also scale the UI badly?
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    The AMD GPU is more than capable of running the 5k resolution and the 240w power supply is fine.

Hi,

If I wanted to play natively on MacOS, could the 8GB VRAM model maxed out have enough power to run the game at 5k and 60fps?

I’d only consider the higher amount if I can actually play at 60fps. Otherwise if it’s not enough power, I’d just get the low tier one.

I’d love an iMac Pro, but there’s just no way it’s worth the money.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited March 2018
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    zombiesue wrote: »
    Interesting. I have a 4k monitor on my windows laptop and Origin / TS4 has some UI scaling problems that are very irritating.

on PC the game is not designed to run in 4k. You will have problems. Try playing in windowed mode if you choose to play in 4k.

BTW this is the Mac section not PC. The game runs differently on Mac

Do you know if the Mac version scales natively at 4K? Like the UI and everything is programmed better on the Mac version? Or does it also scale the UI badly?

@jackjack_k

The higher the resolution, the smaller the ui will be. The higher the resolution, the better the video card you need. This is for PC. this game was designed to run no higher than 1080p. People have done something to change the ui however it will cause game issues if you do it. You can ask rosemow more about this issue if your talking PC. We tell people to lower the resolution if you want a larger UI in game. You can change the game resolution in game options.

If your talking Mac ,which is different than PC ,I suspect the UI will be smaller on higher resolution. Since the Mac version is different I don't know if you can change the UI without lowering the game resolution. You would have to ask @BluebellFlora
  • AndyT3AndyT3 Posts: 1 New Member
    This thread is a great resource. I am looking to pick up the highest base configuration 5k iMac in a few weeks, so this has really helped. However, I'm running The Sims 4 on an 09 iMac currently, and it has been working fine for me on whatever settings it determined on its own when the game first launched.

I'm hoping the Radeon 580 can handle decent settings at 1080. I guess only time will tell...
  • TurtleQueenTurtleQueen Posts: 3 New Member
    So, a while ago i figured out how to download custom content for sims 4, then about a month later i bought 3 expansion packs, then when i got into the game, all my cc were gone, and so i tired restarting the game lots of times and it just wont work, i tried adding new cc to it and still, i watched a tutorial on how to disable expansion packs, and so i did, then i tried downloading new cc again and it still doesnt work, any help please? btw i have a mac
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Did you check your Game Options and make to enable your Mods/CC?
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    > @Tremayne4260 said:
    > Did you check your Game Options and make to enable your Mods/CC?

no. how do i do that?
    nevermind, i fixed it.
  • AcaciaCEJAcaciaCEJ Posts: 23 Member
    Hi, hoping to get some help. After windows 10 breaking 1 desktop & 2 laptops I am switching to a Apple Mac.

The only game I play is The Sims 4 (with all packs, expansions, stuff) but the computer will be used for music too.

Is this apple okay to run sims 4+ all it's extras
    https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/apple-imac-5k-27-2017-10165822-pdt.html

Just in case the link doesn't work:

Type iMac 5K
    Operating system macOS Sierra
    PERFORMANCE
    Processor - Intel® Core™ i5 processor
    - Quad-core
    - 3.8 GHz / 4.2 GHz (Turbo Boost)
    RAM 8 GB DDR4
    Graphics card AMD Radeon Pro 580
    Storage 2 TB HDD, Fusion drive
    SCREEN
    Touchscreen No
    Screen size 27"
    Screen type LED
    Resolution 5120 x 2880
    Screen features - LED backlighting
    - 500 nits brightness
    - Retina display
    CONNECTIVITY
    WiFi 802.11 ac
    Ethernet Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000)
    Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.2
    USB USB 3.0 x 4
    Video connections Thunderbolt 3 x 2
    Audio connections 3.5 mm jack
    MEDIA
    Disc drive No
    Memory card reader SDXC card reader
    SOUND
    Speakers Stereo speakers
    FEATURES
    Camera FaceTime HD camera
    Microphone Yes
    Mouse / trackpad Apple Magic Mouse 2
    Keyboard Apple Magic Keyboard
    Security features Kensington security lock slot
    GENERAL
    Colour Aluminium
    Box contents - Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)
    - Magic keyboard
    - Magic mouse 2
    - Power lead
    - Lightning to USB cable
    Dimensions 516 x 650 x 203 mm (H x W x D)
    Weight 9.44 kg
    Manufacturer’s guarantee 1 year

(From what I read on Apple's page the AMD Radeon Pro 580 has 8GB Ram on it too)

I really would appreciate some help - Not time wasting!
    If you can upgrade to more RAM (8GB is ok to play Sims, but really recommend more keep lag down) this is a good machine. I bought my iMac to play Sims 2 as I didn't have the ability to play Sims 3 prior to getting my current computer. Yes, I do have Sims 3 on it now. I have everything for Sims 4 and it runs just fine.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I have the 5k iMac. Playing on the Mac is doable but I highly recommend installing Windows via Bootcamp. Sims on the Windows side is a much better experience.
    @Chazzzy, you know you can play Sims 4 on the Mac side just fine and it's exactly like playing on the Windows side.
    If you can upgrade to more RAM (8GB is ok to play Sims, but really recommend more keep lag down) this is a good machine. I bought my iMac to play Sims 2 as I didn't have the ability to play Sims 3 prior to getting my current computer. Yes, I do have Sims 3 on it now. I have everything for Sims 4 and it runs just fine.

Thank you! That's great - won't be able to upgrade the ram yet cause the expence of the machine is big but in the future I will definitely do it. I have read that this machine can be upgraded for more ram so it's all good.

I am glad to hear it runs well as I can't stand windows anymore lol! Again thanks!
    edited June 2018
    @Chazzzy, you know you can play Sims 4 on the Mac side just fine and it's exactly like playing on the Windows side.

False. It is definitely not the same experience. The game runs much better on the Windows side.
    @Chazzzy, Let us agree to disagree. :) I do not have my computer boot camped, but I do have access to Windows on my computer and to me it is exactly the same. I don't see a difference. But then I have a late 2012 27" iMac. I don't play with a lot of CC (under 50 pieces or so if even that many) and I don't play with mods. I suppose if you play with a lot of CC, the Windows side is better, but not being big into the whole CC thing, it doesn't bother me. :)

Maybe if you told what is better about the Windows side, I'd understand.
    edited June 2018
    @Tremayne4260 I have a late 2017 iMac 27 inch. One thing I will say that is consistent whether playing on the Mac side or Windows side is the game looks awesome on Ultra. But performance wise there is a difference.

I installed the same game save on both sides as well as the same CC/Mods so the playing field is equal for comparison. I played on the Mac side then I switched and played on the Windows side. Mac side was laggy, jumpy, Sims would stand around a while without doing anything, etc.

Compared to my old Mac, this new Mac is a better experience. I was pleased. One day I decided to install Windows on it via bootcamp and naturally I installed The Sims too. I did not experience these issues when I switched over and played on the Windows side even using the same save game and CC/Mods.

I haven’t played on the Mac side since. I now only play The Sims on the Windows side. Performance is hands down better.
    Thank you for the information. Very interesting. It could have to do with the amount of CC you play with. The Windows OS seems to support more CC than the Mac OS even though EA/Maxis claims they have fixed the issue.

As I said, I don't play with a lot of CC/Mods so my game runs very smoothly with no lag or jumpy stutters.
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    @Tremayne4260 I have a late 2017 iMac 27 inch. One thing I will say that is consistent whether playing on the Mac side or Windows side is the game looks awesome on Ultra. But performance wise there is a difference.

I installed the same game save on both sides as well as the same CC/Mods so the playing field is equal for comparison. I played on the Mac side then I switched and played on the Windows side. Mac side was laggy, jumpy, Sims would stand around a while without doing anything, etc.

Compared to my old Mac, this new Mac is a better experience. I was pleased. One day I decided to install Windows on it via bootcamp and naturally I installed The Sims too. I did not experience these issues when I switched over and played on the Windows side even using the same save game and CC/Mods.

I haven’t played on the Mac side since. I now only play The Sims on the Windows side. Performance is hands down better.

Interesting! I don't play with mods or CC so I'm quite happy to be getting away from windows 10 lol! Honestly I will be happy with it on medium settings - I don't video or do screenshots so the reflection quality of water doesn't really mean much for me. I will just be happy to be able to run my games again.