Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Winter Massacre

Comments

• hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited June 2018
    Glad they’re looking into this. I wish instead of hot and cold that we could’ve selected an outerwear for each category. That way if they auto change their clothes outside they’d put a coat on that goes with that specific outfit. Someone mentioned what if they wanted to have a pretty winter wedding. Scary.
  • N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    Simmelina1 wrote: »
    I have just given all played sims clothes with long sleves.

This won't work. Only the clothes in hot/cold weather clothes will prevent freezing or overheating to death. You can set a bikini as a cold weather outfit and your sim won't freeze but a bikini in another category would cause freezing to death.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I tried to recreate this in a vanilla save and I just couldn't. I sat outside the gym in WC during a blizzard for 12 in game hours and nothing. Sims spawned by the library in their workout clothes, shivered some even turned blue, but every single one managed to hot foot it into the gym before anything tragic happened. I even went into manage worlds and added a few to my favorite households but didn't play them and saved edited reloaded and went back to the gym in a blizzard and nothing. Spawn, shiver, turn blue, run (sometimes slip and fall) go inside gym and warm up. Not one single death.

I then sat outside my house and watched walk by sims. Many turned blue in freezing and blizzard conditions in their jogging togs, but all of them made it to a spawner point and disappeared without dying. So are we sure this isn't somehow mod related?
    I posted this in another thread about this.
    I tried to recreate this in a vanilla save and I just couldn't. I sat outside the gym in WC during a blizzard for 12 in game hours and nothing. Sims spawned by the library in their workout clothes, shivered some even turned blue, but every single one managed to hot foot it into the gym before anything tragic happened. I even went into manage worlds and added a few to my favorite households but didn't play them and saved edited reloaded and went back to the gym in a blizzard and nothing. Spawn, shiver, turn blue, run (sometimes slip and fall) go inside gym and warm up. Not one single death.

I then sat outside my house and watched walk by sims. Many turned blue in freezing and blizzard conditions in their jogging togs, but all of them made it to a spawner point and disappeared without dying. So are we sure this isn't somehow mod related?
    JACKIEJOY wrote: »
    Akil is right. I gave a Sim one outfit across all the categories. The lace bra and pantry set from the base game. That is all she has. Not only does she not get cold or hot, she doesn't spin to change clothes unless she takes a shower. I tried to change her into the cold category but the game said she was wearing it.

This could be a helpful work around...if you don't have a ton of played households. But still ruins the fun of choosing outfits. I've had to keep a very close watch on my currently unplayed played sims. I've been managing to save them so far but my current save game dosn't have a ton of households. And jogging outfits aside my currently unplayed played sims don't always automatically change into the appropriate clothes when outside.
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    Wow. I am soooo glad I haven't touched my favorite saved game. I am now playing in an alternate save game I created especially for the season and although I am playing in Spring I see a lot of blue joggers and strollers really. Noone has died and I have kept an eye on my Sims' friend lists and no ghosts have popped up yet. I guess I don't have to wonder when father winter finally comes around.

I don't mind deaths or unexpected deaths even but not for the Sims I am not playing at a given time.
    I would be content if households marked "Played" weren't able to die by weather until they are being played.
  • Euripides67Euripides67 Posts: 55 Member
    edited June 2018
    I tried to recreate this in a vanilla save and I just couldn't... Many turned blue in freezing and blizzard conditions in their jogging togs, but all of them made it to a spawner point and disappeared without dying. So are we sure this isn't somehow mod related?

I started a vanilla save (removed the mod folder entirely and deleted localthumbcache.package to make sure it was really a clean trial). I hung out at the gym and at my house for 6 days of a 7 day winter and while there were near misses, nobody actually died. The closest calls I saw this run were blue joggers booking it for the zone line getting intercepted by other unplayed sims who wanted to chat. Some blue joggers ran around blue for ridiculous amounts of time in normal freezing conditions, but they would exit the zone if a blizzard kicked off.

Maybe it's mod related, maybe it's luck. A bunch of those blue sims looked like they had very close calls. Maybe a few random slips on ice and a neighbour saying hello would have started the chain reaction off. No luck so far though with this vanilla save.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    OMG! Those pictures are so funny but so tragic! I haven't got to Winter yet, maybe I can play slowly and hope it's fixed before I get there lol.

I just got through Spring (I spent sooooo much time in CAS!) and started Summer. Kind of dreading heat waves right now! But I'm going to hope that LittleMsSam's beta mod covers me for now, play with walls down to miss fewer issues, and exit without saving as needed, I guess. I don't want my Sims to not get hot.

HEYYYY where is this beta mod :) I really don't want to turn off the weather effects.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Is this happening for ALL rotational players or even NON-rotational players?? I personally have not seen this happen, but I don't play rotational. I play one household, if I get bored and move to another, I make the previous one with the unplayed option in household management. It has a faded green plumbob over their houses, but would that make this happen? I don't use any mods so I dunno if I should now to prevent this. I easily get frustrated when the game does MAJOR glitches.

I haven't had any deaths but I have seen a lot of blue sims jogging around. It is only a matter of time LOL The worse part is they were my played sims not NPCs...lol
  • GrandRailGrandRail Posts: 60 Member
    I have had this happen to me too, both with mods and without mods. I do not do rotational so it is not limited to just that style of play. I purposefully send out my sims at home dressed in the appropriate styles in order to stall sims who are not dressed correctly. :wink:
    ikiamyetta wrote: »
    The hot and cold categories just weren't a good idea. Hot and cold subcategories would have been the way to go

^^ They really, really should have made this an option instead of individual Hot and Cold outerwear.
    GrandRail wrote: »
    I have had this happen to me too, both with mods and without mods. I do not do rotational so it is not limited to just that style of play. I purposefully send out my sims at home dressed in the appropriate styles in order to stall sims who are not dressed correctly. :wink:
    The hot and cold categories just weren't a good idea. Hot and cold subcategories would have been the way to go

^^ They really, really should have made this an option instead of individual Hot and Cold outerwear.

Is it possible it only affects sims labeled played that aren't currently being played? That's one scenario I didn't test.
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    edited June 2018
    Individual pieces of clothing should be coded with "hot", "cold", or nothing—and treated that way, regardless of outfit category. That way, the hot and cold categories still work, but played Sims could also, say, have a winter wedding if they wore cold-coded clothing in the formalwear category.
  • hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    I might for now use this as an advtange and start a save with a sim living off the land in a tent and challenge myself to keep him or her alive without allowing them to wear the cold clothes. That way I can let my current save rest while I wait and see if they tweak this.

It is good to hear some aren’t having this issue. One thing I wondered is for the mass casualties do you play on FF and were you when they all died? Maybe FF speeds up the freezing process.
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member

I’m getting the same result as you are during regular play, lots of close calls. Most of the NPC sims just go in or disappear, the issue tends to occur once one death takes place and they all “see what’s happening”. I think the game pushes them inside or to the spawner point to protect them, but the witness death interaction overrides it? My guess is all it takes is one (could be an elder from old age or something too) and it sets this off. I’m not thrilled with how it works no matter what, since in looks like my Sims live among the smurfs all winter now. :D
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    Is this happening for ALL rotational players or even NON-rotational players?? I personally have not seen this happen, but I don't play rotational. I play one household, if I get bored and move to another, I make the previous one with the unplayed option in household management. It has a faded green plumbob over their houses, but would that make this happen? I don't use any mods so I dunno if I should now to prevent this. I easily get frustrated when the game does MAJOR glitches.

It didn't happen to me, got through winter just fine. One close call happened at a gym having an outdoor yoga class during spring, but I went there on a purpose to see how it works and found out it doesn't (traveled away before any deaths).
  • KatzMeowzKatzMeowz Posts: 894 Member
    So are we sure this isn't somehow mod related?

I've never used mods or CC in Sims 4. Before getting this EP I had even moved my docs/ea folder because I was going to uninstall and reinstall on a different drive since my SSD was starting to get full. This was a completely fresh game. I made one household of 4 sims and started playing.

What set this off in my game was noticing that a neighbor was about to freeze so I made a made a group with her and traveled to the gym. She didn't make it inside before freezing. Once she died most of the sims ran outside in their gym clothes to gawk. It didn't take long for those to start freezing.

edited June 2018
    KatzMeowz wrote: »
    So are we sure this isn't somehow mod related?

I've never used mods or CC in Sims 4. Before getting this EP I had even moved my docs/ea folder because I was going to uninstall and reinstall on a different drive since my SSD was starting to get full. This was a completely fresh game. I made one household of 4 sims and started playing.

What set this off in my game was noticing that a neighbor was about to freeze so I made a made a group with her and traveled to the gym. She didn't make it inside before freezing. Once she died most of the sims ran outside in their gym clothes to gawk. It didn't take long for those to start freezing.

Your save would be especially helpful to the SimGuru that was asking for them. If we are lucky you have a save right before all the freezing happened they could look at. My vanilla save gave me no joy after 6 days of having my deadbeat sim hang around the gym in a 7 day winter. Might still just be plain luck.
    edited June 2018
    I guess it will be hard to balance. Either this sort of thing happens or nobody ever dies, making weather effects kind of pointless. I don't mind the odd sim having bad luck and kicking off, I just don't like the chain reaction of all the other sims rushing to witness the death and dying themselves.
    edited June 2018
    The last save I have is about 12 sim hours before the massacre started.

ETA: Ok, I'll do a groundhog day and see if I can trigger Winterfest's Eve Massacre Redux
    GrandRail wrote: »

Is it possible it only affects sims labeled played that aren't currently being played? That's one scenario I didn't test.

I went into my save that I have been using to try and test this issue and moved the Caliente/Lothario and Landgraab households to played since they are frequent gym rats, and again, nothing. The sims spawned by the library mid blizzard in gym wear, shivered and then bolted to the gym door. Even Nancy, Don, Dina, and Katrina fared well. I'm not sure what may be causing some to have this wholesale slaughter of their sims by Jack Frost, but for the life of me I just cannot seem to make it happen. I will say though, the slipping and falling animation is hilarious every time.
    I posted this in another thread about this.

I went into my save that I have been using to try and test this issue and moved the Caliente/Lothario and Landgraab households to played to see if this only affects households marked played but are not under current control of the player, I chose these sims since they are frequent gym rats, and again, nothing. The sims spawned by the library mid blizzard in gym wear, shivered and then bolted to the gym door. Even Nancy, Don, Dina, and Katrina fared well. I'm not sure what may be causing some to have this wholesale slaughter of their sims by Jack Frost, but for the life of me I just cannot seem to make it happen. I will say though, the slipping and falling animation is hilarious every time.
  • Tanja1986Tanja1986 Posts: 1,237 Member
    edited June 2018
    I went into my save that I have been using to try and test this issue and moved the Caliente/Lothario and Landgraab households to played to see if this only affects households marked played but are not under current control of the player, I chose these sims since they are frequent gym rats, and again, nothing. The sims spawned by the library mid blizzard in gym wear, shivered and then bolted to the gym door. Even Nancy, Don, Dina, and Katrina fared well. I'm not sure what may be causing some to have this wholesale slaughter of their sims by Jack Frost, but for the life of me I just cannot seem to make it happen. I will say though, the slipping and falling animation is hilarious every time.

In my game I only play 1 sim. Completely new save and started in spring. 2 days in without leaving my home lot I started hearing the first death sound. I stayed on the lot and did other things. But then I realized that more Sims in WC started freezing to death. I went someplace else, like the gym because I was hoping that those blue sims wound reset. But I was wrong. The same sims appeared on the gym lot, still blue and pale. The next Sims died right then. No idea what triggers this. But it's all sims who either jog or have clothes on that have nothing to do with protection against the cold.

edited June 2018
    Things played out a little differently. It's not the wholesale slaughter it was before but I managed to get 5 sim deaths.

ETA: This time the bystanders mostly seem to be wearing cold weather clothes.

28139751767_bd493e6b29_b.jpg