Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

3 More Years For Sims 4?

Comments

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2018
    Brindleton wrote: »
    Sims 4 just got confirmed to have sold over 10m copies. At this rate, it will outsell Sims 2 and 3.
    Financially, EA has no reason to move on to Sims 5.

Will be exciting to see what new packs they are working on :)

Lol! There is NO proof of that! Also the claim that it sold 5 million. They both came from tweets from some Sim Guru but THEY ARE NOT OFFICIAL NUMBERS!

Nope. The 5 million was confirmed in an interview after the 5M button had been seen. Sorry. Odds are that that 10M button really does mean 10 million sold, and that Simmers who really want this version to be unpopular are the ones who don't have facts on their side, just anecdotes. Unhappy people are often noisier and more visible than happy ones.

Lol, oh right! As if interviews are a legitimate source. Nope! I've been looking for concrete numbers and I've been looking at EA's quarterly and annual financial reports. Nowhere in those reports do they ever give concrete numbers of their sales for TS4 specifically. It is always "The Sims" products as a whole (which would mean TS3 is included as well because it STILL sells and charts well!).

Plus, what does 5M or 10M mean??? TS4 has more packs than TS1 through TS3, but there is less gameplay and meaningful content for each pack!

Also, if you look at the most popular Sims forums, the most active sections are always TS3! People are still passionately involved playing that game because it is so flexible and we can make it any we want! And since computers have caught up to the requirements of TS3, more people have returned to it, buying what packs they missed before as well as NEW people buying the base game, packs and Sims 3 store. TS3 is actually profitable for EA again! :smiley:

When they get a button for 5 M or 10 M that is for base games sold.

Also you want to see some actual numbers and/or percentages of growth in Sims 4 pc - you need to read the Q and A section of the Earning Conference where the Big Investors ask specific question and where the CEO usually specifies whether the answer is pc or mobile. The CEO mainly talks about the pc version to be honest - he tends to lump their mobile games all together like single entity but when he talks about the Sims 4 - he says pc game. Believe me EA is very happy with Sims 4 pc.

King of Sim City - Sims 3 could not have taken any more packs - as it's engine just like Sims 1 and 2's engines had pre-sets on the number of packs they could have and run - it had taken all it was slated and pre-set to have. ITF took it's last preset- alloted EP slot. Sims 4 does not have pre set ep allotments like previous sims games had - it basically looks limit - less and should work well with EA's future plans.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited June 2018
    Haiden wrote: »
    Meh...I dunno lol. I have not been here for a long while (lol I got my ninth anniversary badge when I logged in).....to be honest I was just randomly searching YouTube for like the sims 5.

I saw the jungle adventure pack, looked interesting and that lead me back here. To be honest they could have produced some more content for the sims 3 and likewise they took so long to add the missing features in the sims 4, that I lost interest midway (what are we like 5 years in now?). Anyway lol I was just passing through and peeked in out of interest. Hi to any that remember me lol.

It will just be 4 years come September. Sims 4 came out in September the second, 2014 and that was just for pc. It took another 2 years for Mac. So Sims 4 is not even 4 yet.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• wynwyn Posts: 901 Member
    Open neighborhoods should be the next step IMO. I think they realized the resource mistake with sims 3, which is why sims 4 went back to basically a sims 2 "plus" model. I feel like they could've gotten away with open neighborhoods, since it's generally 4-5 plots anyway (thought I would like slightly larger neighborhoods... say like 7-9 plots) and wouldn't have been TOO resource heavy and still have the open world feel.
    Origin ID: WyntirLily
  • TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    And now I have toddlers stuffpack thanks to some extra money I had left on my pre-made mastercard....I now own all packs. I'm happy I can run them all lol.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Haiden wrote: »
    Meh...I dunno lol. I have not been here for a long while (lol I got my ninth anniversary badge when I logged in).....to be honest I was just randomly searching YouTube for like the sims 5.

I saw the jungle adventure pack, looked interesting and that lead me back here. To be honest they could have produced some more content for the sims 3 and likewise they took so long to add the missing features in the sims 4, that I lost interest midway (what are we like 5 years in now?). Anyway lol I was just passing through and peeked in out of interest. Hi to any that remember me lol.

It will just be 4 years come September. Sims 4 came out in September the second, 2014 and that was just for pc. It took another 2 years for Mac. So Sims 4 is not even 4 yet.

The Mac version was released 5 months later, in February 2015.
  • ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    If a Sims 5 is ever released I am not getting it.

I honestly just wish they could stop at TS4 and simply keep upgrading it.
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • SimDestroyerSimDestroyer Posts: 334 Member
    The Sims 5 can really be a hit-and-miss. It will either save (or improve, depending on your view) the series, or kill it completely. With EA's recent shenanigans, you can't never be sure. They might bring beloved features back, but bring in something horrible that will lead it to the trash can. They could also just make it mediocre, making not a giant improve over The Sims 4. It can be better, but not good enough.

You could be either excited for The Sims 5, or fear the possible bad things it might do. Or, like other people have said before me, just don't care about it and not buy it.
  • Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    But TS4 has been running longer than any other iteration! And the weird thing about it is that it's least popular with the most restrictive gameplay of them all with the least amount of creative tools. TS1 through TS3 had more stuff in them in the shorter period of times that they were developed! Dragging on the development of this horrible iteration is PAINFUL for everyone else waiting for TS5. At least EA should start talking about developing TS5 so that the rest of us can look forward to it with some hope and excitement.

Except this is not true. It's evidently very popular, spawning videos from big Youtubers and even being in news and articles a few times. It has made allot of achievements in the series for it's ease of building, gender options, lack of restriction for clothing and adding monthly content to the game. They've been improving on slmost everything they've brought back from previous iterations and every pack has been content packed, I honestly wonder if people who say TS4 has less stuff actually used any of the EPs or GPs, even the SPs have more content at a cheaper price tag. At this point, EA should focus on their fans and giving them the content they ask for, I personally don't plan on paying for a base game and tons of add-ons for a fifth iteration.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
    edited June 2018
    Prink34320 wrote: »
    But TS4 has been running longer than any other iteration! And the weird thing about it is that it's least popular with the most restrictive gameplay of them all with the least amount of creative tools. TS1 through TS3 had more stuff in them in the shorter period of times that they were developed! Dragging on the development of this horrible iteration is PAINFUL for everyone else waiting for TS5. At least EA should start talking about developing TS5 so that the rest of us can look forward to it with some hope and excitement.

Except this is not true. It's evidently very popular, spawning videos from big Youtubers and even being in news and articles a few times. It has made allot of achievements in the series for it's ease of building, gender options, lack of restriction for clothing and adding monthly content to the game. They've been improving on slmost everything they've brought back from previous iterations and every pack has been content packed, I honestly wonder if people who say TS4 has less stuff actually used any of the EPs or GPs, even the SPs have more content at a cheaper price tag. At this point, EA should focus on their fans and giving them the content they ask for, I personally don't plan on paying for a base game and tons of add-ons for a fifth iteration.

Sims 2 was out 4 yrs and 8 months - PC, Mac, and console. Had a sims store for 2 + years

Sims 3 was out 5 yrs and 3 months -pc. Mac, and console.Had a Sims store for most of it's duration.

Sims 4 has only been out thus far 3 years and 9 months. On top of it, it's console version has only been out 1 year and it's Mac version a year and a half. It has no Sims store, but does get Free content.

(another simmer said the Mac version of Sims 4 came out sooner - I just went by what was wrote - lol as I don't run a Mac.)
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Three more years, Or the Next three, years, that doesn't say the Sims 4 has three more years of it's life.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
    edited June 2018
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    Three more years, Or the Next three, years, that doesn't say the Sims 4 has three more years of it's life.

It has no limit unlike previous engines that had built in expansion limits. Sims 4's engine did not need these limits. So as long as it keeps performing so well and as the Maxis heads said in the beginning - "they'd keep building Sims 4 as long as it was feasible to do so" - it really has no limits. They have said that every since Sims 4 came out. It had always been part of their vision, and they never tried to hide that. That's the one thing they always shared. LOL.

I look forward to what we get next but right now I am really loving Seasons.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    A rolling 3 years is fine with me. EA's basing all their ports on the style of Sims 4 anyway.

If EA turns out a Sims 5 before Sims 4 is complete, I swear I won't buy it. I didn't pay over £300 to be sold half a game.

That is why a lot of people refused to buy the base...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

It has no limit unlike previous engines that had built in expansion limits. Sims 4's engine did not need these limits. So as long as it keeps performing so well and as the Maxis heads said in the beginning - "they'd keep building Sims 4 as long as it was feasible to do so" - it really has no limits. They have said that every since Sims 4 came out. It had always been part of their vision, and they never tried to hide that. That's the one thing they always shared. LOL.

Yet according to feedback the game is still limited to this day?

I mean I heard about the snow in Seasons, the same as those 'apartments' in Apartment Life or what ever it was called? Always a step backwards!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg

Exactly. They've said since the beginning it would not be like previous versions and it had no end date like previous versions had.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    Really excited that I have at least several more years of content to look forward to. <3
    edited June 2018

Yet according to feedback the game is still limited to this day?

I mean I heard about the snow in Seasons, the same as those 'apartments' in Apartment Life or what ever it was called? Always a step backwards!

They did not say the snow in seasons were due to limits - but due to the fact the deeper snow did not look good. I have only heard other simmers claim it was due to limits.

As for steps backwards - well that is not universal apparently and just something us vets complain of. All the Simmers that never played Sims 2 do not even realize how great those apartments were and I seldom see a lot of vets - I see simmers that are either new to Sims with 4 or a number of Simmers that played Sims 3 that actually love the Sims 4 apartments better than Sims 3. As much as I love Sims 3 I have to admit their apts rotted and on top of it they were Hades to build and to make work right. There does not seem to be many of us former Sims 2 players who enjoyed amazing apts in the Sims games to be honest.

I don't usually play sims 4 apts myself - except when I sometimes need to transition a newly turned YA that I need to move out of the family home and start working - I will move them in an apartment until he/she meets their true love or makes enough money to buy a home. I still don't use cheats - so my sims has to earn their way and it is a temp cheap place to stay where they meet more sims and make money easier. Not since Sims 2 have I even bothered with family apts - to be honest.(By the way Apartment Life was Sims 2 - Sims 4 is City Living for apartments.)

In dreams - I LIVE!

Really excited that I have at least several more years of content to look forward to. <3

Me too.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    The primary reason Sims 4 has no end date is because they don't intend to end it.

I wonder that nobody has really referred to the fact that all other versions are based on the Sims 4 PC version. See, if they updated to Sims 5, all those other versions would look out of date and nobody would buy them or their expansions or extra stuff. But it would cost a lot of money to change them too.

Now while there are a ton of people saying "I want Sims 5", they are STILL PLAYING SIMS 4. Why would EA cater to a minority, especially when this minority is still giving them lots of money anyway.

It strongly suggests that this is the last itteration of The Sims for a long time,
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    I do feel sorry for anybody who wants the sims 5.
    but at the same time this games still a bag if bones. still waiting for the rest of its body parts.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2018
    I just want to correct some information in this thread. TS2 did not last four years and nine months. It was only four years and two months. No big deal I guess about the correct dates of stuff but facts matter. It ended in Nov. 2008 with the release of Mansion and Garden. "The Store" stayed open until 2011. But without any new content.

Officially, TS3 ended in Aug. of 2014 with the release of new, last store content. So that equals 5 yrs and 6 months. Which is a heck of a long time for pc gaming unless you are WOW. I would hate to think TS4 goes on forever like WOW or one of those other games my great grand children would be playing. Snooze fest.

If we continue on forever, we might never see gradual gray hair, gradual aging, ability to change traits by action over a gradual period of time, just like people change, over time. A change over time in interests in hobbies and other Sims,...just like people lose interest in others and things or activities. We might never see the Sim be able to see the neighborhood trees or sit on top of a cliff and hang their feet over that edge. The Sim pick up world objects and move them etc. Awareness. ETA: A world that changes just like earth. A new tree growing here, one dying over there. And not spawners. And how about reflection? Sims being aware of all their years and reflecting upon those years they make life changing decissions based upon what made them reflective...be it good or bad.

All games have their limits.

I know many love TS4 but it's not the be all, end all (and neither was TS2, omg did I say that?) if we stop dreaming of what is possible with a new way of playing we might be stuck three more years with not being able to get out of that box. How many years before they swim in all bodies of water? It has too many limits if it takes years....and years....

I'm hoping they come to their senses. :)
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member

Sims 2 was out 4 yrs and 8 months - PC, Mac, and console. Had a sims store for 2 + years

Sims 3 was out 5 yrs and 3 months -pc. Mac, and console.Had a Sims store for most of it's duration.

Sims 4 has only been out thus far 3 years and 9 months. On top of it, it's console version has only been out 1 year and it's Mac version a year and a half. It has no Sims store, but does get Free content.

(another simmer said the Mac version of Sims 4 came out sooner - I just went by what was wrote - lol as I don't run a Mac.)

Console hasn’t been out a full year, it just released in November. It has been about 7 months.

As for the game on Mac, that has been available for over three years. I already responded once to say you were completely off base with your timeframe, apparently you read that but chose to ignore it since you again claim it has only been out for a year and a half. Mac released 5 months after the PC game, in Feb 2015.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2018
    Sims 4 just got confirmed to have sold over 10m copies. At this rate, it will outsell Sims 2 and 3.

Lol! There is NO proof of that! Also the claim that it sold 5 million. They both came from tweets from some Sim Guru but THEY ARE NOT OFFICIAL NUMBERS!

Nope. The 5 million was confirmed in an interview after the 5M button had been seen. Sorry. Odds are that that 10M button really does mean 10 million sold, and that Simmers who really want this version to be unpopular are the ones who don't have facts on their side, just anecdotes. Unhappy people are often noisier and more visible than happy ones.
    Incorrect. The 5 million was confirmed a year after it had been tweeted, after toddlers and Parenthood had been added which gave the game an enormous boost. Thén they said the game had sold more than 5 million copies and they didn’t link that to the 5M tweet. They just said that yes, the game had sold over 5 million copies (when asked). “Odds are” is not the same thing as a confirmation either. Nor does the fact many people aren’t over the moon about the game have a relation to how it sells. Not least because many of those people are in fact buyers themselves.

(I haven’t seen a 10M button by the way, but does it refer to basegames?)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • fmilfmil Posts: 175 Member
    I think 3 years are enough to add a lot of content like 10 packs at least.
    It seems to me there might be a possibility of the game lasting more than that but they just did not plan yet what kind of content they will release after those 3 years. I suggest those of you who are jumping with joy and thinking sims 5 is right around the corner to hold your horses as it seems we are in for a long ride, my friends!!
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Incorrect. The 5 million was confirmed a year after it had been tweeted, after toddlers and Parenthood had been added which gave the game an enormous boost. Thén they said the game had sold more than 5 million copies and they didn’t link that to the 5M tweet. They just said that yes, the game had sold over 5 million copies (when asked). “Odds are” is not the same thing as a confirmation either. Nor does the fact many people aren’t over the moon about the game have a relation to how it sells. Not least because many of those people are in fact buyers themselves.

(I haven’t seen a 10M button by the way, but does it refer to basegames?)

Not wrong. It was indeed confirmed after that there were over 5 million sales. Nothing I have said there is untrue; I did not say that the meaning of "5M" was confirmed specifically (though it's common sense), nor does "after" mean right away. On top of that, it was less than a year - the button was seen in summer 2016 and the interview was posted in mid-March 2017, before the Parenthood GP.

Given that and that a capital M after a number is a very normal, everyday, common abbreviation for "million" (just like K is for "thousand"), I really think anyone who can't see the connection to the 5M pin is in some serious denial. Another two years later after that 5M pin and actually after the Toddler update and after a Pets expansion, I have no problem believing that they'd have hit 10M. Is it really impossible to believe that Sims 4 is as popular as Sims 3 was, just because you don't enjoy it? What on earth other explanation do you have for a 5M button out from a company that does not release specific sales figures but that's confirmed months later to indeed have surpassed 5M in sales, and is joined 2 years later after much-desired additions, by a 10M button? What does it stand for if not for 5 million and now 10 million base game sales?

Sometimes I just don't understand why people who don't like Sims 4 are often so determined to not see the evidence in front of them and accept that other people do like it, enough of them that it's genuinely successful. Lots of people like things I don't like. It's normal. It's okay.
    I'm convinced that 5M button was not an actual sales figure, I think at most it was an encouragement: off to 5M! Sims 4 did sell over 5 million copies, indeed, that has been confirmed (after toddlers were added), but I was reacting to the fact you were linking the button to sales figures, in relation apparently to a 10M button now and in reaction to someone who does not believe that. I've never seen any proof or confirmation of a relation between buttons like that and actual sales figures.

For me this is not about what the game actually sold (like I said, the game has been sold to people who don't enjoy it as well so while sales figures are being presented to show how great the game is - mind you, not by me and I'm also not saying it's doing lousy, I have no idea and I don't care - I do object when I see people jumping to conclusions like this, even concluding people who didn't buy the 5M button (I honestly don't because they in fact never confirmed it back then) are in denial. I'm not in denial, I just sincerely don't think the game had sold that many copies back then (early 2016 it was I believe). Only after they gave us toddlers and Parenthood and good vampires did the game take off. I think 2017 was a very crucial year for them. GuruGrant confirmed Sims 4 had a rocky start and I believe that 5M button was posted during that rocky start. I don't benefit in any way or form from this conviction, I just really think that.

This is not about me enjoying Sims 3 more than Sims 4. No sales figure in the world can change that ;) And it's also crystal clear to me lots of people like Sims 4 and consider it their favourite. For many people that started early 2017 though.
    5JZ57S6.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top