Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there anything that would make you move on from playing TS3?

Before I start this is not a thread about which version of the sims on pc is best. Nor is it an opportunity to criticise other players for playing only one version of the game or playing more than one version. It is purely curiosity on my part as to what would make other TS3 players stop playing and move on to something else.

For myself there is no immediate intention to stop playing. Mainly because I really enjoy what I am able to do with TS3 and at the moment I can find nothing that I would prefer to play. Friends have offered me various alternatives but there always seems to be something lacking which makes it a deal breaker. I do occasionally look at what is happening with TS4 but as yet and this includes the new EP released on Friday, there is nothing to draw me into playing.

I have considered what I might do if and when a TS5 is announced and have concluded that without knowing the direction in which EA will take the game next it is impossible to prejudge my own reaction. All I know is any potential TS5 must be something very special to outshine TS3. So unless something physical prevents me like my dodgy eyesight or modern computers develop to such an extent it is no longer possible to get my disks to work I plan on staying with my favourite version of the game.

Considered responses only please :)

I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita

Comments

• thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    I would move on if there was a newer version of TS3. 64bit...updated graphics w/some of the expansions included in the base game...leaving open the opportunity for more original DLC to be added later.
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    I would only stop playing Sims 3 if they announced a Sims 5 that was better than all it's predecessors.

I own Sims 4 but it's more of a casual game for me or when i just want to have fun with the easy build mode and that stuff. I can't play it like i play Sims 3 because I miss the awesome stuff from 3. But when i play 3 I don't even care about the cool features from 4 so i want a game that is so great that i don't care about misssing features.

It sounds like you have found a happy medium and don't plan to move on to anything new.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
    thevogel wrote: »
    I would move on if there was a newer version of TS3. 64bit...updated graphics w/some of the expansions included in the base game...leaving open the opportunity for more original DLC to be added later.

I do like the sound of a 64 bit version. We can always hope :) The questions then would be which EPs to include with the base game and who would make the original DLC.

Sim enim est vita
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2018
    I’m not playing TS3 at the moment because I play Animal Crossing. That’s temporarily though. I also was gifted TS4’s Vampire pack so I’m going to play a vampire now, because I’ve heard they are done very well. So I guess my answer is: when I have other games I quit playing the game. So far these games are not big and important enough to really replace TS3 (looking forward to play out the plans I have for my TS3 sims), if there will be such a game in the future I guess I’ll “move on”. Another factor could be if a new computer couldn’t run the game anymore.
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I’m not playing TS3 at the moment because I play Animal Crossing. That’s temporarily though. I also was gifted TS4’s Vampire pack so I’m going to play a vampire now, because I’ve heard they are done very well. So I guess my answer is: when I have other games I quit playing the game. So far these games are not big and important enough to really replace TS3 (looking forward to play out the plans I have for my TS3 sims), if there will be such a game in the future I guess I’ll “move on”. Another factor could be if a new computer couldn’t run the game anymore.

Yes I wondered about the vampire pack too but in the end I decided I preferred playing witches and fairies more. Always nice to receive a gift and I do hope you get great enjoyment from the pack.

It is a great fear that future technology will not support the game. I remember being near hysterical when I couldn't get Vista to read my TS2 disks. Fortunately my computer savvy brother worked it out. It is becoming increasingly difficult to find prebuilt computers and laptops with disk readers.

Sim enim est vita
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

I will occasionally stop playing for a few days to play another game such as Witcher or Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider, Fallout or Skyrim. I recently played a Sherlock Holmes that was interesting, but glad I got it for just a few dollars as it was not that engaging. I will only play those for a few days and I will get to missing my families and I'm right back playing Sims3.

I don't play Sims4 as it is not my cup of tea. :)

I guess to truly answer your question...it would take a tragic accident to my disks for me to stop playing Sims 3. I cannot imagine EA even considering an improved version considering all they care about is being able to play on your phone or your tablet for the young crowd....that seems to have more of a disposable income then I did at that age.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    edited June 2018
    I play a lot of different games. It would kill any enjoyment for me if I only played one game. I need simming breaks every now and then just like I need breaks from other games.

The only thing that would make me move on maybe from the Sims series in general is if I've done everything there is to do in the game and played various different challenges over and over... but I don't see that happening anytime soon. I've had this game since launch in 2009 (been a simmer since TS1) and I still haven't explored everything including the whole collection of packs.

Example: Diablo 3 is a repetitive game and I still enjoy it very much.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    I don't think there is. There is so much I still haven't done, and so much I want to do. However, if they ever were to make a 64 bit version of it, then I would definitely want to play that one instead, but only on condition that it wasn't tied to Origin. I don't believe that is ever going to happen.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I would only stop if the two pcs in the house stopped running the game.
    @bekkasan @SimplyJen @IreneSwift @MidnightAura it seems the general consensus is people are happy playing TS3, even if they do take mini breaks to play other things. The other thing is how concious we are of our dependence on computers which will accept the game. Perhaps in time The community should develop a set of instructions to allow us to go on playing with each new version of operating programme that comes along. Perhaps this exists already? And I do agree TS3 has so much stuff that you would have to be a very dedicated player indeed to have fully explored it all. Even after 9 years.

Now it is very late here in the UK and I definitely need my beauty sleep. Please feel free to continue the discussion and thank you for your posts.

Sim enim est vita
    igazor wrote: »
    1 - Severe brain trauma injury.
    2 - Lack of a computer to play on and sudden unexpected poverty to the extent where a suitable replacement cannot be obtained.
    3 - If my prince charming were to show up at my doorstep, in person not by scamming me with bogus emails, to whisk me away to live happily ever after forever on the one provision that I stop playing the game (this one is a bit far fetched, but then to be fair so are the first two).

I'm not really too worried about future computers being unable to run the game in some manner or another. Given what we have to do now to keep things going, finding a way to run Win 7 or 8.1 if that should really be necessary just for gameplay shouldn't add that much overhead to the mix. It's not really likely EA is going to pull the Origin plug (or Steam it's own version of that) for an extremely long time given how popular the game is on both platforms.
    2 - Lack of a computer to play on and sudden unexpected poverty to the extent where a suitable replacement cannot be obtained.
    3 - If my prince charming were to show up at my doorstep, in person not by scamming me with bogus emails, to whisk me away to live happily ever after forever on the one provision that I stop playing the game (this one is a bit far fetched, but then to be fair so are the first two).

I'm not really too worried about future computers being unable to run the game in some manner or another. Given what we have to do now to keep things going, finding a way to run Win 7 or 8.1 if that should really be necessary just for gameplay shouldn't add that much overhead to the mix. It's not really likely EA is going to pull the Origin plug (or Steam it's own version of that) for an extremely long time given how popular the game is on both platforms.

Thank you for the reassurance on the computers. A 64 bit version going forward would surely be helpful in the process of keeping the game running long term.

Head trauma of any kind is best avoided and so is any Prince Charming who makes such ridiculous provisos :D:D He would clearly be no gent and every decent simmer deserves better than that.

Goodnight.

Sim enim est vita
  • cocococo Posts: 2,722 Member
    edited June 2018
    If they made a game that was 64-bit, had a gorgeous open world and realistic sims, complete with all the standard sims interactions, skills and jobs... then maybe yes. But that's just a pipe dream and in fact they will probably do the reverse and keep releasing closed world games with less detail and more of a cartoony style. I'm happy sticking with TS3 where I can do pretty much anything I want.
  • PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    I play TS2, TS3 and TS4 regularly... I like TS4 for its art style, TS3 for its content and TS2 for the nostalgia.
  • PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    I will only voluntarily stop playing TS3 if I feel that I've tried out every world, skill, carreer and LTW, and that there is nothing new for me to try. It could be years before I feel that way.
    It's not a matter of TS3 vs. TS4: Jungle Adventures gave me days of very enjoyable gameplay when it came out, but it didn't make me want to stop playing TS3.
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited June 2018
    There are so many things I haven't done yet in TS3, I'm nowhere near walking away from it. At the moment, I have about half a dozen ideas for new games or families bouncing around in my head, and that number would be much higher if I weren't consciously admonishing myself to stay on-topic. (I want to enjoy the save I'm playing now before moving on to the next thing.) But even if I ran out of ideas, I figure a few months of not playing would be more than enough to refresh my supply. Besides, there are so many different things to do in the game, the possible combinations are, practically speaking, almost infinite.

Having said that, I suppose there is a sequence of events that would cause me to stop playing:
    • my laptop gave out and couldn't be fixed
    • it turned out that no new computers or operating systems could run TS3 anymore
    • somehow, the entire population of the tech boards here just suddenly disappeared, leaving me with no one to explain to me how I could force some system to run the game despite its vehement protests

Who am I kidding? I'd probably still pay an unreasonable amount to the first computer expert I found who could promise me that my favorite game wasn't gone for good.

Because otherwise, I'd be stuck in the detox wing of sims rehab for the foreseeable future, with no access to the internet or a gaming computer. You could find me in the locked ward, rocking in the corner and muttering nectar recipes under my breath.

Of course, if someone ever developed a 64-bit version for mac, they could just take my money now.
    Thank you every one for the posts. Please keep them coming because themes are emerging about what might tempt us to move on or not as the case maybe. I do think though as wonderful as a 64 bit version might be we would need to know exactly what we were getting before parting with our money. I am not dissing TS3 but removal of some of the more troublesome bugs and glitches would have to be part if the deal. On a personal level anything to tempt me away from the current version would also have to include CAW and an integrated CASt.

Sim enim est vita
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    @igazor's participation reminded me of one other necessary condition - all of the NRaas mods would have to work with it, or somebody would have to re-make them to work on the new game. So no, it's highly unlikely that I would ever move on to a new game. I'm not worried about newer computers ever becoming incompatible with the game either, because there are always virtual PC programs that will run older OS's. After my last upgrade when my son forgot that I had a dual boot system and installed hardware that couldn't run Windows XP, he installed it on a virtual drive, which actually works even better than the second partition. One of my favorite old adventure games was unplayable on the XP partition, but it works perfectly on the virtual XP machine.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    If TS5 is somewhat like TS3, but more advanced then that would be a good start. I want Open World, I want a CAW tool, I want CASt, I want decent careers and proper aging and that means teens who are teens, not adult clones. I don't want any limitations. I want to add my own lots of I want rather than play these tiny worlds that TS4 shipped with.

There are a lot of things that could make me move on from TS3 but until something is announced then I am going nowhere :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    edited June 2018
    TS3 is the only game I play, and the only game I will ever play. I tried S4, it wasn't for me. If TS3 ever becomes unplayable, I'll be forced to regroup and get myself a real life. Having said that, the exact same TS3 we have now on a 64 bit system (which I know nothing about but am assuming would make it play better) would be awesome. :)

@igazor Be careful of princes in sheep's clothing! :tongue:
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    I just bought FFXV from Steam so Sims 3 *may* go on the back burner for a bit...though highly doubtful as I am throughtly addicted to it...have been playing pretty much every day for 3 1/2 years....logged over 4,000 hours on Steam with Sims 3. :flushed:
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    edited June 2018
    coco wrote: »
    If they made a game that was 64-bit, had a gorgeous open world and realistic sims, complete with all the standard sims interactions, skills and jobs... then maybe yes. But that's just a pipe dream and in fact they will probably do the reverse and keep releasing closed world games with less detail and more of a cartoony style. I'm happy sticking with TS3 where I can do pretty much anything I want.

THIS... as @coco stated...along with a world editing tool that isn't as finicky as CAW.

Other than that...the only thing that would make me move on from TS3 is...
    Screenshot-60.jpg
    DEATH...

Kinda hard to play anything if I'm not breathing. :D
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    Most of us seem to be fairly settled with whatever version or versions in some cases we are currently playing. Mini breaks seem popular too and after 4000 hours a break is probably a very good idea. It's scary thinking of all the hours idled away at weekends bringing up sim families :D

It also seems nothing short of a major catastrophe will stop us playing and virtual drives are now added to the list of possible computer incompatibility solutions.

Nice to see other players wanting a CAW as part of the deal to make them move on to newer versions. If there ever was a 64 bit version it would not be unreasonable for both CAW and CASt to be revisited. The point about mods is very relevant as many would see that as a deal breaker.

I was beginning to think I was being extremely picky over what I wanted in a new game if I ever moved on. From the comments others clearly feel the same. I never expected Grimmy to turn up in this discussion but it just goes to show the depth of feeling :) The only thing I didn't understand is about RL. I'm guessing it is important to some but surely balance is needed with emphasis on time for simming? :D

Sim enim est vita
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2018

A prince charming who’d come up with such a provision? That would be a contradiction in terms, dear igazor B)
    5JZ57S6.png