Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Things builders do that annoys you?

Comments

• PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    ikiamyetta wrote: »
    For me is the overuse of clutter, windows being placed too low and the faux garage. I think the garage thing is my biggest peeve. Sometimes I'll just fix it and make it into something else but if the outside will be too affected by the design change I won't use the house

I've turned those faux garages into skill building rooms before.
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    using 'move objects' - I see that in a build and I move on - too big a hassle, even with it turned on
  • chrissie11778chrissie11778 Posts: 223 Member
    If you are a builder, build what you want, you cannot please everyone so don't even try. This game is supposed to be fun, not a job.
    cc4simscomindugledv.jpg
  • ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    If you are a builder, build what you want, you cannot please everyone so don't even try. This game is supposed to be fun, not a job.

no one ever said otherwise :)
  • PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    edited June 2018
    I know this is gonna sound super weird but I absolutely HATE carpet flooring... I don't know what it is about them maybe because I find them disgusting in real life so I don't want my sims to have to suffer from them as well. I've never actually met anyone who has carpet flooring in their house.. Not really a thing around here where I'm from I guess... It's just that every time I see a carpet flooring I can't stop thinking how disgusting it would look if they took the carpet off and what things could live under that and all the bacteria and how it feels when you're not wearing socks and how you can never actually clean it properly yourself because it's a carpet you can't take outside to clean.. ugh.. :''D
    Also when some people put carpet flooring and then put a regular carpet on top of it and I have to scream ''WHY? WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT'' countless of times to my screen.

Also spamming the same light everywhere in the house. I do this myself as well (I take the weird flat circle ceiling light and make it as small as possible) because I have to have good lighting in my game or I'll go crazy. What I also usually do is I place other lamps on top of those small ones so I still get good lighting but it doesn't look too repetitive. I hate when people spam the house full of those paper ball lights like why would you have that in your bathroom... It just doesn't seem realistic to me to have the same lamp in every room... I don't have the same lamp in every room of my house and I don't think many people do.

And just in general one thing that has bothered me with the EA buildings (well a building) is the one empty house in Brindleton Bay where one of the windows is on a different height from the other windows on that wall... They are the exact same window but for some reason one of them is higher than others and it drives me crazy.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I know this is gonna sound super weird but I absolutely HATE carpet flooring...

I think the carpeting that comes with the game is awful. The only carpeting I use is CC.

• TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member
    So I build a lot. I'm not sure if I'm guilty of overusing MOO, I usually use it for putting my plants places where plants should not be (like on top of a lattice, or on a foundation). I'm also guilty of the clutter and decor sins, but I usually make the houses I put on the gallery for myself primarily, so the clutter is in there because I like it.

Anyway so my pet peeves for things I find on the gallery are useless garages and oversized toy cars, I never have and never will get one of those, and people who attempt to do split-level foundations but forget the stairs -.- I actually got a bowling alley off the gallery recently and my sim really had to pee when she was there, and I couldn't figure out why she couldn't get into the bathroom until I realized that the creator had made split levels and the inside of the bowling alley was too dark to see.

I quickly fixed it by removing the foundation but I was so annoyed.

A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Oh,
    One other VERY obvious thing.

Don't. Tag (or name). Your. House. As. Starter. Unless. It's. Under. 20,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (ad another gazillion exclamation marks!"

I have seen SO many "starters" that are between 21,000 and 25,000. Even a few up to 30,000.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I usually always playtest my houses and especially restaurants. Because it's true that MOO makes so many objects completely unusuable to the point it's infuriating. That's why I make all my restaurants myself. I've downloaded 2-3 of them and they looked amazing. Better than anything I make. By far. But they're entirely unusable :( I can't get to half the rooms, half the restaurant tables cannot be reached or sat on, etc. It's annoying.
  • AodraAodra Posts: 5 New Member
    I build as well as use builds & I have to agree that clutter, when it interferes with gameplay, is truly annoying. It annoys me when I do it too because my builds are for me. Though if I find anything like that I'll fix & reupload. I've downloaded a few houses where cupboards were inside cupboards & I couldn't use a fridge or stove because of overlap.
    Another thing that bugs me so much: objects poking through walls or tree limbs through roofs. I hate that so much. In my own builds if I can't cover it effectively I remove it. Also, it bugs me when the builder misses an essential object... like a toilet. Or only puts a sink in the bathroom. I mean, I know my sim will wash dishes in there despite there being a kitchen sink (every time) but still, just put it in there.
    Unfortunately, I often don't like other people's color schemes & often lots look nice but they aren't practical. I was looking for a cute -little- bakery once & could only find these huge two story monstrosities that looked *amazing* but just weren't what I was looking for.
    So, I build for practicality but still use MOO because I don't need a planter sitting in the middle of my floor. It should be in a corner out of the way. Oh, & my builds will (almost) always have toilet paper properly installed. :D
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Clutter and MOO.
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    My pet peeve is when a builder uses the same wall decor in multiple rooms, or even twice in the same room. Same swatch and everything.
  • Moon_Simmer92Moon_Simmer92 Posts: 29 Member
    A lot of people hate clutter it seems. I’m the opposite, I hate it when the house is basically empty, save for the necessities. Like seriously, people?!
    My Favourite Sims Games:1. The Sims 42. The Sims 3 (PC)3. The Sims Medieval4. The Sims 2
  • keenowkeenow Posts: 549 Member
    Oh,
    One other VERY obvious thing.

Don't. Tag (or name). Your. House. As. Starter. Unless. It's. Under. 20,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (ad another gazillion exclamation marks!"

I have seen SO many "starters" that are between 21,000 and 25,000. Even a few up to 30,000.

While I totally agree with you, I think the 21,000 and 25,000 ones might be because you start with more money for the number of sims you have. 20,000 for one sim; 22,000 for two sims, etc. I think it adds up to a max potential of (34,000)? I'm pretty sure pets count, so if you had a sim and a pet, your starting money is 22,000.
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I've found that I am building houses faster than my sims can afford them. When my sim could finally afford one of my houses, I just realized I was not using my head and I built a big and beautiful kitchen without a refrigerator. I already shared that house before catching the issue, so there are probably people on this thread saying "when those idiot builders don't put refrigerators in a kitchen". :D

I also built another beautiful house, and as an effort to make it affordable for one of my families, I really cheaped out on the kitchen. I already shared the house, then I caught that later and I'll have to correct that issue.
    edited June 2018
    A lot of people hate clutter it seems. I’m the opposite, I hate it when the house is basically empty, save for the necessities. Like seriously, people?!

I am guilty of this lol. There are two reasons for this. 1. I am more of a builder than a designer. So therefore my builds tend to be a bit bare. and 2. In real life, I hate clutter, so I like a nice open house.

I do try to be mindful that people will be downloading my houses and I want them to tweak the house to their liking. If I go all out on my design preferences, it may be a turn off to other people.
  • bluelightingbluelighting Posts: 704 Member
    forgetting to put in a sink in kitchen I find amusing lol but not furnished and not saying it isn't I find a big waste of my time...if you dont like what your doing why do it. if you do at least do it right.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I've downloaded a few houses that had food on the table. That kind of annoyed me.
  • Simberella777Simberella777 Posts: 480 Member
    I totally rely on builders lots as I can't build at all. My biggest pet peeve (Thanks EA!) is the faraway images of the gallery to where I can't identify anything in these houses (not to mention trees in the way of viewing).

Since I can't see the pictures very well, my only annoyance from builders is when I download a starter house that states it's toddler or dog friendly but really isn't. Builders, please remember that both toddlers and dogs require a bathtub! I don't mind removing the bathroom sink to place a toddler potty chair, but since I now have Seasons, I can no longer stick the bathtubs outside!
  • Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    Even though I've done it in the past, I don't like when people add alloooot of gameplay objects, I find that it constantly makes my Sims autonomously try to use them constantly.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,826 Member
    edited June 2018
    Derella wrote: »
    ikiamyetta wrote: »
    For me is the overuse of clutter, windows being placed too low and the faux garage. I think the garage thing is my biggest peeve. Sometimes I'll just fix it and make it into something else but if the outside will be too affected by the design change I won't use the house
    The fake garage is my biggest annoyance. It's even worse when it has a giant toy car sitting in it.

If the toy car is sitting in the garage or driveway I just keep on scrolling.
    edited June 2018
    I totally rely on builders lots as I can't build at all. My biggest pet peeve (Thanks EA!) is the faraway images of the gallery to where I can't identify anything in these houses (not to mention trees in the way of viewing).

Since I can't see the pictures very well, my only annoyance from builders is when I download a starter house that states it's toddler or dog friendly but really isn't. Builders, please remember that both toddlers and dogs require a bathtub! I don't mind removing the bathroom sink to place a toddler potty chair, but since I now have Seasons, I can no longer stick the bathtubs outside!

I'm a tree-hater in real life, so in sims 3, I went into terrain editor and removed a good portion of the trees. Unfortunately, in sims 4, there is nothing you can do about the trees. Brindleton Bay has some decent lots that are ruined because they are surrounded by thick trees and the lot is located in the middle of nowhere. It is frustrating when you build a house and you see more trees than house. Particularly in the gallery. I am definitely a city boy.
  • AikeikoAikeiko Posts: 158 Member
    Use of Moo, clutter, garages. I don't upload houses often as I'm not the best designer, but I try to keep from using moo or clutter. I've only used moo when some curtains didn't want to go into place for some strange reason.
  • N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    edited June 2018
    Now I want to build a hoarder house with no toilet paper. :p;)
    Post edited by N0NoTToN0N on
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr