Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can I play sims 4 on this?

13...Next

Comments

• BrexoxoBrexoxo Posts: 228 Member
    I play the Sims 4 on my Macbook Air and my dad's Windows 10 HP laptop. Just wanted to know will they be able to handle Seasons when it comes out this Friday (which l'm so excited about!)

My Macbook Specs:

OS X El Captain
    Version 10.11.6

Macbook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)
    Processor 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB
    Built-in Display 13.3 Inch (1440 x 900)
    121 GB Flash Storage
    37.49 GB free of 120.11 GB

My dad's Window's 10 HP:

Device Specifications
    HP Laptop 17-bs0xx
    Device name LAPTOP-CC4MGQMM
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U @ 2.5GHz 2.71 GHz
    Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.88 GB usable)
    System Type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows Specifications
    Edition Windows 10 Home
    Version 1803
    OS Build 17134.112
    Manufacturer HP
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    Hi, I received a Dell G7 laptop to review for Best Buy and I was wondering if I should try TS4 on it as part of my review. This is the first time that I have a laptop (I've always played on desktops) so I wanted to make sure that the game will play without causing issues for the laptop. I also plan to use a cooling tray to help keep temps down.

New Dell G7 15 Inch Gaming

Device Specs
    8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Processor
    Windows 10 Home 64bit English
    RAM- 8GB, 2x4GB, DDR4, 2666MHz
    256GB Solid State Drive

So far I've been playing Cities Skylines, Banished, and Anno 2205 on it with no issues. I might try Planet Coaster, but I'm a little concerned how it will handle large parks. It has the spot for a secondary hard drive, so I'm thinking of getting one, and I will probably upgrade the RAM too.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it! :)
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2018
    Hi, I received a Dell G7 laptop to review for Best Buy and I was wondering if I should try TS4 on it as part of my review. This is the first time that I have a laptop (I've always played on desktops) so I wanted to make sure that the game will play without causing issues for the laptop. I also plan to use a cooling tray to help keep temps down.

New Dell G7 15 Inch Gaming

Device Specs
    8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Processor
    Windows 10 Home 64bit English
    RAM- 8GB, 2x4GB, DDR4, 2666MHz
    256GB Solid State Drive

So far I've been playing Cities Skylines, Banished, and Anno 2205 on it with no issues. I might try Planet Coaster, but I'm a little concerned how it will handle large parks. It has the spot for a secondary hard drive, so I'm thinking of getting one, and I will probably upgrade the RAM too.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it! :)

What is the video card? Yes, you might want to add that second drive. There is one thing about SSD do not keep erasing or writing to it, it is not as resilient as an mechanical drive and how it writes is different than an mechanical drive and do not defrag an SSD it is an quick way to ruin it. The Laptop specs are nice from what I am seeing and being it is an laptop look out for overheating. going to 16 Gb is future proofing your system and depends on how long you will keep the system. Being you play other games other than Sims it is an good an good idea being some developers are recommending 16 GB.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    Ack! I thought I put the video card on the specs but I forgot. :#

It's the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 with NVIDIA® Max Q Design technology, 6GB GDDR5 video memory

I'm definitely going to upgrade to 16G RAM, but I've been reading that this laptop has issues recognizing any other RAM than Hynix. So I'm waiting until Dell has an update. Definitely good to know about the SSD, I will be careful about that.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Ack! I thought I put the video card on the specs but I forgot. :#

It's the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 with NVIDIA® Max Q Design technology, 6GB GDDR5 video memory

I'm definitely going to upgrade to 16G RAM, but I've been reading that this laptop has issues recognizing any other RAM than Hynix. So I'm waiting until Dell has an update. Definitely good to know about the SSD, I will be careful about that.

@Cabelle1863 you need more hard drive space. Your hard drive will have issues running out of space. When adding extra ram, you need to use same make and model ram or you will have issues. This goes for any computer
    Thanks, @phoebebebe13. I've got that on my list too, I'm going to do that before I upgrade the RAM. I'll probably buy a secondary 1T hard drive and set up my games to run off of it instead of the SSD. By same make and model of RAM, do you mean that I need to stay with Hynix? I know it needs to be DDR4 2666MHz but I was hoping I might be able to look at different makers, like Corsair.
    @Cabelle1863 whatever ram you have installed , if your adding more ram sticks it has to be the same as you have installed already. You cant have one stick corsair and one stick Hynix. Can you replace all the ram sticks with a different brand? You would have to ask dell if you can remove all the ram and add something else.

Do not game on an external hard drive. Make sure you can add a second internal hard drive to that laptop.
    Brexoxo wrote: »
    I play the Sims 4 on my Macbook Air and my dad's Windows 10 HP laptop. Just wanted to know will they be able to handle Seasons when it comes out this Friday (which l'm so excited about!)

My Macbook Specs:

OS X El Captain
    Version 10.11.6

Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    121 GB Flash Storage

My dad's Window's 10 HP:

Device Specifications
    HP Laptop 17-bs0xx

Windows Specifications
    Edition Windows 10 Home
    Version 1803
    OS Build 17134.112
    Manufacturer HP

@Brexoxo That HP laptop does not meet requirements. You would have to ask a Mac player how the game would run on that Mac @BlueBellFlora they need help with Mac requirements Thanks
    @Cabelle1863 whatever ram you have installed , if your adding more ram sticks it has to be the same as you have installed already. You cant have one stick corsair and one stick Hynix. Can you replace all the ram sticks with a different brand? You would have to ask dell if you can remove all the ram and add something else.

Do not game on an external hard drive. Make sure you can add a second internal hard drive to that laptop.

The crazy thing is, from other reviews about this laptop and a thread I've been reading on Reddit, what I bolded is what some people have been resorting to for the laptop to recognize at least one stick of the upgraded ram. If they put both sticks of the new ram in the spots, the laptop doesn't recognize it, even though it should. They've been leaving in one stick of the original Hynix ram, and putting one of their upgrade sticks in the other spot, so that they end up with 12G ram. It's really odd and I don't feel comfortable doing that, so I'm going to wait a little while for that upgrade. The problem was first posted by reviewers early June, so hopefully Dell will put out an update within the next month or two. I'll just keep my cities in Cities Skylines small for now, and the same for my parks in Planet Coaster.

There is a bay for me to add a second internal hard drive, which is what I was planning to do. I only use my external to save photos, music, important docs, & pdf sewing patterns.
  • LivsalLivsal Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi, I have no idea if this is where I’m supposed to put this question but I was wondering if this:
    IBuyPower WA583RX Gaming Desktop PC with AMD FX-8320, RX 560 4GB, 1TB HD,8GB DDR3, and Window 10 Home
    still works ok? I’ve seen a few posts where it’s recomended but they were from a few months ago.
  • BrexoxoBrexoxo Posts: 228 Member
    edited June 2018

My Macbook Specs:

OS X El Captain
    Version 10.11.6

Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    121 GB Flash Storage

My dad's Window's 10 HP:

Device Specifications
    HP Laptop 17-bs0xx

Windows Specifications
    Edition Windows 10 Home
    Version 1803
    OS Build 17134.112
    Manufacturer HP

@Brexoxo That HP laptop does not meet requirements. You would have to ask a Mac player how the game would run on that Mac @BlueBellFlora they need help with Mac requirements Thanks

I'm confused, l'm playing the game on the HP now and it seems to be just fine. Unless it's gonna get worse or something.....
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    @phoebebebe13

Already posted in the Mac forum, I sent them over here for PC help.
    apple-signature.png

My Macbook Specs:

OS X El Captain
    Version 10.11.6

Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    121 GB Flash Storage

My dad's Window's 10 HP:

Device Specifications
    HP Laptop 17-bs0xx

Windows Specifications
    Edition Windows 10 Home
    Version 1803
    OS Build 17134.112
    Manufacturer HP

I'm confused, l'm playing the game on the HP now and it seems to be just fine. Unless it's gonna get worse or something.....

@Brexoxo it might because the HP is not designed to run this game. It's designed for light computer tasks. You could do damage to the laptop or shorten the life span of the laptop playing this game on that HP. On PC the game does require gaming hardware and gaming computer that are designed to run 3d games like the sims.

Mac has their own version of the game different from PC

The crazy thing is, from other reviews about this laptop and a thread I've been reading on Reddit, what I bolded is what some people have been resorting to for the laptop to recognize at least one stick of the upgraded ram. If they put both sticks of the new ram in the spots, the laptop doesn't recognize it, even though it should. They've been leaving in one stick of the original Hynix ram, and putting one of their upgrade sticks in the other spot, so that they end up with 12G ram. It's really odd and I don't feel comfortable doing that, so I'm going to wait a little while for that upgrade. The problem was first posted by reviewers early June, so hopefully Dell will put out an update within the next month or two. I'll just keep my cities in Cities Skylines small for now, and the same for my parks in Planet Coaster.

There is a bay for me to add a second internal hard drive, which is what I was planning to do. I only use my external to save photos, music, important docs, & pdf sewing patterns.

Some people may be using the wrong ram when adding extra ram sticks. ? Does the laptop ram not run in dual channel? Ideal if you want 8 gb ram you should use two 4gb sticks. For 16 gb you should use two 8gb sticks etc. 12 gb is an off number

Some people may be using the wrong ram when adding extra ram sticks. ? Does the laptop ram not run in dual channel? Ideal if you want 8 gb ram you should use two 4gb sticks. For 16 gb you should use two 8gb sticks etc. 12 gb is an off number

The laptop does run in dual channel, so I was planning to switch the two current 4gb sticks for two 8gb sticks. It's supposed to be upgradeable to a max of 32gb, but I think 16 will suit me just fine for my other games. I wondered myself if the people having problems might by trying to use the wrong ram, but the ones they posted should have worked. The general consensus on those threads is that owners will need to push Dell to put out another BIOS update. I'll definitely mention it in my review so that other potential buyers will be aware.

I think the first thing I'll do is get the hard drive and install it this week, and then I'll try out TS4 on the laptop. Thanks again for all your helpful advice. It's much appreciated. :)
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Livsal wrote: »
    Hi, I have no idea if this is where I’m supposed to put this question but I was wondering if this:
    IBuyPower WA583RX Gaming Desktop PC with AMD FX-8320, RX 560 4GB, 1TB HD,8GB DDR3, and Window 10 Home
    still works ok? I’ve seen a few posts where it’s recomended but they were from a few months ago.

It will work ok but the cpu is outdated now and the graphics card is on the lower side of mid range. Do not expect high settings with lag free gameplay. Is this a pc you have or one you are buying?
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• slydog857slydog857 Posts: 68 Member
    No computer will run the Sims 4 'well', it will only run the Sims 4 in a 'tolerable' state. Welcome to the un-optimisation that is The Sims 4. It might run on your laptop but I wouldn't count on it. I'd say minimum you need a GTX 1050 or equivalent, the processor looks okay I guess but if your just using this for University and Sims then I'd definitely try for a Dual Core processor rather than a quad core. A Quad Core is 4 cores, a dual is 2 cores, so if you get a Quad Core that clocks in a turbo speed of 4GHz, as the sims only uses 2 cores it's only going to use 2GHz of the processor. Whereas, if you get a dual core that's around 3.5GHz turbo speed, that's going to use the entire processor which may result in a performance increase in select cases.
    Specs:
    i7-7700K @ 4.2GHz
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming Edition: GTX 1080 8GB
    16GB RAM
    2 x 1TB HDD - Toshiba @ 7200 Rpm

maxresdefault.jpg
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2018
    slydog857 wrote: »
    No computer will run the Sims 4 'well', it will only run the Sims 4 in a 'tolerable' state. Welcome to the un-optimisation that is The Sims 4. It might run on your laptop but I wouldn't count on it. I'd say minimum you need a GTX 1050 or equivalent, the processor looks okay I guess but if your just using this for University and Sims then I'd definitely try for a Dual Core processor rather than a quad core. A Quad Core is 4 cores, a dual is 2 cores, so if you get a Quad Core that clocks in a turbo speed of 4GHz, as the sims only uses 2 cores it's only going to use 2GHz of the processor. Whereas, if you get a dual core that's around 3.5GHz turbo speed, that's going to use the entire processor which may result in a performance increase in select cases.
    I don't usually comment on TS4 tech threads unless paged into them, but I'm sorry. That's not how processor speeds work across multiple cores; the speed is not additive or a commodity that can be portioned out among separate cores that way. A speed of 3.5 GHz is just that even if only one core among several is at the moment servicing a game.

TS4 is supposed to be able to use four cores. Whether it really does effectively or not is open to debate from what I've seen discussed, but the benefit of having more cores than a game itself can use is that the operating system and other processes running alongside of or in addition to the game get more power to work with.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    slydog857 wrote: »
    Multiple cores increase efficency but not speed it is an illusionary effect of multiple cores that is faster. There is an lot more in what makes an CPU faster.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    > @chesterbigbird said:
    > Livsal wrote: »
    >
    > Hi, I have no idea if this is where I’m supposed to put this question but I was wondering if this:
    > IBuyPower WA583RX Gaming Desktop PC with AMD FX-8320, RX 560 4GB, 1TB HD,8GB DDR3, and Window 10 Home
    > still works ok? I’ve seen a few posts where it’s recomended but they were from a few months ago.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It will work ok but the cpu is outdated now and the graphics card is on the lower side of mid range. Do not expect high settings with lag free gameplay. Is this a pc you have or one you are o ?

Sorry not sure if this is how to reply but I’m trying to buy a new PC and monitor for under 800$. (Yes, I know that’s low) but all I need is a PC that can play the sims 4 on the lowest setting with a lot of packs, can play the sims 3 with a lot of packs, and will last me a few years
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

@chesterbigbird tysm for your help! I will be getting those.
    Livsal wrote: »
    @chesterbigbird tysm for your help! I will be getting those.
    You're welcome :)

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide