Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I don't understand the new clothing system

Currently my season is spring...but early spring so it's still a bit cold. My sims keep changing into their cold clothes and I don't want them to because I have the cold clothes for winter. They are constantly changing into their cold clothes even inside the house. The thermostat doesn't even seem to affect. What is the point of everyday clothes now? Can someone tell me if they figured this out? Thanks!

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    All we as the player have to do is to give them the choices, what they do on their own is change into the outfit. So if your sim is feeling a bit chilly they will choose to wear something a little warmer. Think of it this way, if it's early spring in real life, and you feel a bit on the chilly side, what would you be wearing?
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I don't get it either because it was raining and I made the toddler change into warmer clothes and she cried she was hot.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
    I wished they gave us a way to keep an eye on our sim's personal body temperature.
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,098 Member
    I still don't see the point of the everyday category anymore then
    More choices.
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    More choices.

Not if the sims is constantly changing into the seasons categories clothes. It's making the everyday obsolete.
    edited June 2018
    Actually mine were they everyday outfits pretty regular. I had to turn on their AC to get them to stay in them. Before their home was just too warm, and they kept changing into their cooler outfits (the ones for summer).
  • DrearydearyDrearydeary Posts: 85 Member
    For my game my sims aren't changing at all, it's freezing outside and they just go out in their regular clothes and I can see their breath, I was wondering if I'm supposed to change their clothes manually because if so that would be Really annoying
  • SkewedReality04SkewedReality04 Posts: 1,450 Member
    For my game my sims aren't changing at all, it's freezing outside and they just go out in their regular clothes and I can see their breath, I was wondering if I'm supposed to change their clothes manually because if so that would be Really annoying

They usually do it themselves, I would try a game repair and see if that fixes it.

• hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited June 2018
    It’s not a great system honestly. If it gets “cold” and they go outside even for a second, they change into their cold clothes. Once they’ve changed into their cold clothes they don’t change (automatically) back even if they’re in the house and it’s warm in there. Same with hot clothes if the temp goes to hot they change and don’t change back unless you have them go for a swim or something. Normal swimwear doesn’t protect them from the heat which makes very little sense.

The other downside is if they’re in their cold clothes they never get cold. I’m not a fan of that even in a coat and hat you still get cold after being outside for a while. I wanted my chilly sims to come inside and be relieved to sit by a fire but the cold doesn’t affect them if they’re in that outfit type.

All that being said what I did is I used 4 cold slots for what I consider indoor winter or fall wear, like sweaters and jeans, or tights with high boots. And I used one for a jacket, hat and so on. That way I only have to change her outfit if I see her wearing the jacket inside which happens a lot less when it’s just one jacket outfit.
  • kittymeowkittymeow Posts: 7,338 Member
    My sims never weather everyday wear anymore, I even have the thermostat on always but they keep their cold clothes on. :|
  • IrishSimmer21IrishSimmer21 Posts: 464 Member
    I have to make my sim put on her cold clothes. She won’t do it automatically.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2018
    aaronrulz wrote: »
    Currently my season is spring...but early spring so it's still a bit cold. My sims keep changing into their cold clothes and I don't want them to because I have the cold clothes for winter. They are constantly changing into their cold clothes even inside the house. The thermostat doesn't even seem to affect. What is the point of everyday clothes now? Can someone tell me if they figured this out? Thanks!

Did you turn the thermostat on and set it for warm. If it is not turned on - it can't work - so they will put on winter clothes. My sims wear their everyday clothes until they go outside because it is still cool outside - but I have their thermostat clicked on and set for warm.

Also watch the weather thingy for the temp out side - if it is cold they will change to winter wear. You can make clothing you want them to wear as cold wear even if it is not cold wear by using the filters I believe I read. But they might look funny in warm weather clothing when it is freezing out. LOL But they won't be cold if it is put in the cold weather catagory.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    All we as the player have to do is to give them the choices, what they do on their own is change into the outfit. So if your sim is feeling a bit chilly they will choose to wear something a little warmer. Think of it this way, if it's early spring in real life, and you feel a bit on the chilly side, what would you be wearing?

By that logic you'd expect a sim who hasn't got a cold weather outfit to go back indoors if they are free to do so. But they don't. They just stand in their own back gardens and die of iceblockitis.

• DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Any outfit you place in the new COLD category, will keep your sim warm, even a bathing suit, or so I understand. If your sims are changing into COLD weather outfits in Spring, then add a second COLD outfit that is a Spring outfit and change them into it. They should stay in that outfit because they think they are warm.
  • Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    My sims will change into their cold clothes when going outside and not change back when coming in, but sometimes they also don't change when going outside and they get cold. I've yet to see them get too hot even wearing their cold clothes in a room with a fireplace on. I turned my thermostat to cold when it was cold out and they got a negative moodlet, not one of freezing to death, even when wearing their cold clothes and warming up by the fire.
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    I gave a Sim the skimpiest lingerie outfit I could find and repeated it exactly for every category. She never changes clothes and she never complain of being hot or cold. So far she has been through fall, winter, and most of spring.
  • Simmer_chiyenSimmer_chiyen Posts: 362 Member
    I’ve been fearing this exact problem will arise after they demonstrated that the cold and hot weather outfits are different categories.
    I still think the best system for seasonal clothing is to have cold or hot subcategories under the existing ones. That makes more sense to me. Sims will have the proper clothing in every situation that at the same time protect them from weather elements.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited June 2018
    I have the feeling that the system was not properly thought out. It makes no sense.

-There's no rain category that is a much more important one
    -The swimwear category not being "fresh" enough for a heatwave is ridiculous
    -Them keeping the hot or cold outfits inside the house I assume is a bug (?)
    -Wearing the cold outfit prevents you from being cold hence missing the whole point of weather and your sims getting relieved entering the house or having a hot drink
    -Same goes for the hot category
    -The everyday category now seems redundant or obsolete

Why not, for example, have us set in the already existing categories what we consider a cold or hot outfit? Having like that a pyjama for the summer, one for the winter and so on. And then have a new slot for rain.

I think even when wearing a cold outfit, they should still get cold after a while of being outside. Then for those who don't want that, they can purchase the reward trait against cold.

Edit to add: it is also messy and badly planned when it comes to jogging for example.
    Post edited by AlbaWaterhouse on
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • miss_simlishmiss_simlish Posts: 460 Member
    I know there are a lot of people who won’t like this- but I really wish they would add a way to set all categories of outfits depending on the season. So, an everyday, formal, party, hot/cold, (etc) for summer, another one for fall, (etc).

It would make CAS a nightmare, I know. But this way, you could have a sweatshirt for cold wear in spring and heavy snow gear in winter. Plus I want shorts/tshirts in everyday for summer and sweaters/jeans in fall. I know we can make multiple outfits, but sims always choose the wrong one.
  • TutanoTutano Posts: 61 Member
    In my game it seems to work well. Sometimes my Sims change their clothes by themselves. Most of the time I need to choose it and prevent them to die.

But yes, adding the two new categories was not the best solution for the players. Subcategories would be better. But they would need to redo a lot more in the game and it is already impressive how many things they have refined or adapted to the seasons.
  • LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    I don't get it either because it was raining and I made the toddler change into warmer clothes and she cried she was hot.

Sometimes it's warm of hot when it rains, I think you have to look at that now
    Rae357 wrote: »
    My sims will change into their cold clothes when going outside and not change back when coming in, but sometimes they also don't change when going outside and they get cold. I've yet to see them get too hot even wearing their cold clothes in a room with a fireplace on. I turned my thermostat to cold when it was cold out and they got a negative moodlet, not one of freezing to death, even when wearing their cold clothes and warming up by the fire.

This is what annoys me the most, and @hmae123 said it too. If they go outside for a second to throw out the trash, get the mail, whatever...they change into their cold clothes and don't change back into their everyday wear once back inside the house.

YES, I do have my thermostat on and it's set to warm. @hmae123 also gave me a great idea to just use 4 slots of cold wear as everyday clothes and one slot for coats/hats if they are going to play in the snow.

I think it's just about manipulating all the clothing categories to get it how you want.
  • MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    You know what's funny? Some time before Seasons came up, people were asking if Sims would autonomously change outfits when going outside/inside. And I was thinking then 'Of course they will, what a silly question'...

I really hope that one is a bug.
  • BearflexBearflex Posts: 139 Member
    I have the option of Sims being effected by weather turned off. I still gave them summer and winter outfits. They don't seem to change into their winter clothes when they go out in the cold. In a world where summer is the season they don't change into their hot weather clothes either.
    Is this because I have the option off (because I don't want them randomly freezing or over heating to death). If I enable that option will then change then--I turned it on but it didn't seem to make a difference. I haven't put a thermostat in the house because I don't have that option turned on--so if it's not on do I need to have the thermostat at all?