Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Things builders do that annoys you?

Comments

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    @catitude5 wrote: »
    Something I've noticed recently is bowls of food and drinks left everywhere (floor, tables, etc). I don't know if it's from builders using their sims to test the house or whatever, and it's not so bothersome that I will delete the lot, but it annoys me a little.
    Also: overuse of that one lattice rug in like every dining room ever. Here's a pic if you don't know which one I mean:
    03-29-16_1-11-06nbspPM.png
    I don't know why, but I hate that rug with every fiber of my being. I always have to go through and replace them all because it's so overused.
    And this last one is just my preference, but some builders' tendency to only use white or very light colored paint and wallpaper. I've always loved darker rooms, and white walls drive me crazy. Not sure why, but that's another one of the first things I do when I download a lot: change the wall colors to something darker.

In RL white walls make me nervous in my own home. They do look nice it other peoples' homes, but I need COLOR. I was annoyed that the Realtors suggested we repaint our livingroom walls white (they were blue and a lighter blue that took EIGHT days to paint). They STILL failed to sell our house … for a little while we were land barons, owning two houses. :open_mouth:

Back to the game, I don't often take lots from the gallery. When I do, it's because I'm impressed with the 'curb appeal' and then I download to see what the inside is like. Found something that looked stunning on the outside, the landscaping as well. When I got into 'build' mode to check it out, it was unfinished. (I'm told many are that way, but this was a first for me.) There was no staircase to the upper floor and a room off of what could be considered the living room that didn't have a wall to section it off properly. And in some cases no floor or wall coverings. I actually had fun doing the 'finish' work. Then I added on a room to both floors and a patio out back. I'd love to share what I did, but I certainly CAN'T and WON'T take credit for what the original builder did. I asked permission to share my version, but never received word back. Ho-hum. I would have given Kudos to her up front. So, it sits in my library. And I've enjoyed playing in the lot, too.

I know what you mean, I'm a color person too. I don't get the love of white walls everywhere. Looks like a big white snow storm hit the house. The inside is just as important as the outside. Many people would like to show the hard work they put into fixing things but they don't for fear of being called names.

It might seem strange that some like white walls. I love white walls since I grew up in Military housing where we couldn't paint walls. They were all standard white walls. Moving more than 15 times before hitting my teens, white walls are comforting to me and make me think of home. :)

I still paint walls white and it makes me happy. :mrgreen:

• x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    Never liked the look of pseudo closets.
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I think a lot of builders go with white walls because it makes the colors from deco and furniture 'pop' more. It also has a wider, general appeal. Like a blank canvas, you can load the lot unfurnished and easily see how you'd fill it in, versus if you had something like yellow walls. White goes with anything. It also tends to help with lighting, as rooms stay brighter without spamming lights everywhere.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member

Speaking of bathrooms (and that is also mostly a problem with Maxis builds), I hate it when you have a club or a restaurant with the bathrooms on the upper floor, especially in buildings with very high walls - just to make sure it takes as long as possible to get to the bathroom and back.

Yes! For some reason, every prebuilt building in this game has a large 1st floor, and then they only put the bathrooms on the second floor. It is a pain in the butt waiting for my sims to go upstairs just to go to the bathroom.

The gym that comes with Windenburg forces sims to enter on one side of the building, go downstairs, go upstairs, and you will find yourself on the other side of a wall. I put a door in there and bypassed all that nonsense.

You can always do a half bath on the first floor.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    @catitude5 wrote: »
    Something I've noticed recently is bowls of food and drinks left everywhere (floor, tables, etc). I don't know if it's from builders using their sims to test the house or whatever, and it's not so bothersome that I will delete the lot, but it annoys me a little.
    Also: overuse of that one lattice rug in like every dining room ever. Here's a pic if you don't know which one I mean:
    03-29-16_1-11-06nbspPM.png
    I don't know why, but I hate that rug with every fiber of my being. I always have to go through and replace them all because it's so overused.
    And this last one is just my preference, but some builders' tendency to only use white or very light colored paint and wallpaper. I've always loved darker rooms, and white walls drive me crazy. Not sure why, but that's another one of the first things I do when I download a lot: change the wall colors to something darker.

In RL white walls make me nervous in my own home. They do look nice it other peoples' homes, but I need COLOR. I was annoyed that the Realtors suggested we repaint our livingroom walls white (they were blue and a lighter blue that took EIGHT days to paint). They STILL failed to sell our house … for a little while we were land barons, owning two houses. :open_mouth:

Back to the game, I don't often take lots from the gallery. When I do, it's because I'm impressed with the 'curb appeal' and then I download to see what the inside is like. Found something that looked stunning on the outside, the landscaping as well. When I got into 'build' mode to check it out, it was unfinished. (I'm told many are that way, but this was a first for me.) There was no staircase to the upper floor and a room off of what could be considered the living room that didn't have a wall to section it off properly. And in some cases no floor or wall coverings. I actually had fun doing the 'finish' work. Then I added on a room to both floors and a patio out back. I'd love to share what I did, but I certainly CAN'T and WON'T take credit for what the original builder did. I asked permission to share my version, but never received word back. Ho-hum. I would have given Kudos to her up front. So, it sits in my library. And I've enjoyed playing in the lot, too.

I know what you mean, I'm a color person too. I don't get the love of white walls everywhere. Looks like a big white snow storm hit the house. The inside is just as important as the outside. Many people would like to show the hard work they put into fixing things but they don't for fear of being called names.

It might seem strange that some like white walls. I love white walls since I grew up in Military housing where we couldn't paint walls. They were all standard white walls. Moving more than 15 times before hitting my teens, white walls are comforting to me and make me think of home. :)

I still paint walls white and it makes me happy. :mrgreen:

Much of EA's whites are greyish looking, not a nice clear white, some do the furniture all white too.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    This is a personal pet peeve, I'm sure many might like it, but it seems like a popular thing to go overboard with the clutter. I get that it can feel more realistic to have your sims' house not look totally pristine and tidy, but imo that does not mean having to fill every little area and surface with something. Oftentimes when I download a lot, I go through it and delete like 50% of the decorations.

omg this is my pet peeve too and I do the same.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    Foundations. Just too much of a pain with puppies!

I do end up putting clutter all over the bathroom counters, but it's so that my Sims don't go in there to cook...
  • CellardwellerCellardweller Posts: 92 Member
    • Labeling any house over $22K as a "starter". I've seen starters that were $100K and that's just unrealistic. Can't start out in them without cheats.
    • Sprawling layouts & levels - can't keep track of everyone.
    • Huge bathrooms - aside from aesthetics, Sims don't need a lot of space in the bathroom. 1x3 is all you really need for a tiny powder room on the first floor. 2x3 with shower/bath, sink & toilet is enough for a full bath + a little more if you want a hamper in there or a his & hers sink set up. Don't need it to be as big as a bedroom. Also don't need giant bedrooms unless it's over the top luxury. We're not holding square dances there.
    • Bad flow in the kitchen. I prefer fridge, counter top/work area, stove, sink for good flow for preparing food.
    • Lack of a computer desk & computer or even worse no space to put a desk.
    • Foliage on the lot that obstructs viewing my Sims.
    • I don't mind MOO but it should all work correctly.
    • The lack of mid-range priced homes in the 35 to 50K range.
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Reksoh wrote: »
    For me, its when the toilets dont have toilet paper next to them. I know the sims dont really use it but I get paranoid about it and must have it on the wall next to every toilet. This is something I fix in every lot i download lol. What about you guys?

You are either gonna be totally okay or hate me for this, but, I did this:
    2rnzwi8.png

By accident. I swear. :lol:

I renovated some of the in-game lots that had the tissue up that high. I was like, " but why though?". Lol

"Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    When it comes to Maxis designs:

1. Windows placed too high. Why? Typical example: the converted warehouse by the river. It has huge windows, but they START at head level of adult sims! WTH?
    2. The gym in Windenburg. It's just an awful, awful design.
    3. The already mentioned "useless upstairs"
    4. The EMPTY upstairs (several buildings, like the big mansion in Windenburg, has EMPTY top floors with NO stairs to them!)
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Reksoh wrote: »
    For me, its when the toilets dont have toilet paper next to them. I know the sims dont really use it but I get paranoid about it and must have it on the wall next to every toilet. This is something I fix in every lot i download lol. What about you guys?

You are either gonna be totally okay or hate me for this, but, I did this:
    2rnzwi8.png

By accident. I swear. :lol:

I renovated some of the in-game lots that had the tissue up that high. I was like, " but why though?". Lol

That seems to be a problem with the Maxis building tools that they only fix toilet rolls lower down when you are in full wall mode and then it is difficult to see in. (my experience).

Some of the Maxis ceiling lights also obstruct Sims going in. If you see a Sim waving at you in agony, try changing the light in a small bathroom. Ceiling lights generally are a bit iffy for obstructing pathways.

;
  • DerellaDerella Posts: 765 Member
    ikiamyetta wrote: »
    For me is the overuse of clutter, windows being placed too low and the faux garage. I think the garage thing is my biggest peeve. Sometimes I'll just fix it and make it into something else but if the outside will be too affected by the design change I won't use the house
    The fake garage is my biggest annoyance. It's even worse when it has a giant toy car sitting in it.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Derella wrote: »
    ikiamyetta wrote: »
    For me is the overuse of clutter, windows being placed too low and the faux garage. I think the garage thing is my biggest peeve. Sometimes I'll just fix it and make it into something else but if the outside will be too affected by the design change I won't use the house
    The fake garage is my biggest annoyance. It's even worse when it has a giant toy car sitting in it.

Aw man, I'm guilty of that. I have Built two, no Three Houses/Mansions like that.
    What had happened was, I found inspiration online, and I really loved the set up of the garage parts of the build. But I don't resize toy Cars. *Equips Sludge Hammer* I have CC Cars :p

For Me, If it's not a basement, it's a garage, and maybe and Attic, and I use it to store things instead of using the household inventory.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    Because of so many people complaining about the amount of packs used I've started to check which packs I used before uploading. If I've only used one or two items from a pack, I will see if it's possible to remove or replace those. The average number of packs used still lingers around ten though, so I'm not sure if it's really helping(?)
  • Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    Finvola wrote: »
    I also want to say I appreciate builders, as I am no builder myself and am thankful for the creators who share their builds with us.

But I have to agree, MOO and clutter are my biggest two problems. Also, houses that clearly aren't playtested and there are routing failures, missing doors, so forth. Even downloaded a two story home with no stairs. I can understand missing minor things, like a door, trash can, whatever, but not stairs. :D [/quote?

This can happen when you fiddle around with wall height. I have finished builds only to realize the stairs are gone (facepalm.) Usuallt I notice when it gives you back like a thousand simoleans. And I wonder, what did I just sell? I have learned to check the stairs.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    @luimistelija
    Just to let you know I like it when a builder uses everything at their disposal. I have all the packs and frankly I usually pass on base game builds only or anything like that. I've seen all of it a bunch of times and it's great to see the new stuff used. When I see a whole bunch of pack emblems it excites me to see what they have done with it.
    I think that complaint is more a matter of preference and of course irritation if you don't have all the packs.

egTcBMc.png
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    I build a lot but I don't like weird layouts that some other builders do. It upsets the whole flow and I end up redoing the layout inside to give it better utility inside and out.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    When i feel i dont know the house even after living there for ages and generations has passed by. Its mostly cause there are TOO many items in the house that are hidden in closets on shelves behind walls, under carpets etc. :p I would always find something new in the house that have nothing to do with my sims or their story.
  • CrazyboutTheSimsCrazyboutTheSims Posts: 2,739 Member
    edited June 2018
    It's annoying that some really nice houses have garages and toy cars inside inlarged to make them look real.. we don't have cars and I always either delete the garage or make it into an exercise room. Also when they don't play test it before uploading it.
  • keenowkeenow Posts: 549 Member
    I like to build myself, but I still check out other builders buildings on the gallery. My pet peeve is really large hallways. Like three tiles wide or more. Especially when there's a hallway between all the rooms in the downstairs. I want my sims standing in a room to talk; not a hallway! Hallways are bad for screenshots!

(I was totally guilty of unnecessary hallways when I first started building, too ^^;)
  • aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited June 2018
    kemisz wrote: »
    I'm just grateful whenever I don't have to build a house. If I can find something in the gallery, even thought 99% of the time I end up changing things around and fixing it up, it's still better than starting from scratch and coming up with something half decent by myself.

Same here - even if a particular house I've downloaded isn't exactly to my liking, I'd much rather go through the process of changing it up than building one myself - sometimes I do build my own homes but I'm usually too impatient and I'd rather spend time playing the game than building.
  • JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    edited June 2018
    The only things that bother me are way too much clutter (unless there's some story behind it all) and pricey lots masquerading as "starters"
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    The thing that drives me a little wonky is when I find a nice home and it has a gazillion lights in it. For some reason it plays havoc on my eyes., they don't adjust correctly to the light.
  • Caszidy215Caszidy215 Posts: 310 Member
    Everyone who said clutter - All of the clutter and dozens and dozens of plants or land deco. It makes the price of the homes too high. Anytime I move a sim into an overtly priced home I sell all of that stuff anyway because they need the money and I don't cheat.
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    Unnecessary MOO for everything
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg