Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why doesn't Season pre-orders get 3 day early access like Fifa 19, BF5, ect?

2...Next

Comments

• TreebrookeTreebrooke Posts: 80 Member
    This was my first time pre-ordering the game and the only reason why I did it was because of my money situation. I don’t exactly know when I’m going to have the extra money. So when I did have the money I brought it so I can play with it.

This is the exact reason why I pre-order if I have the money. Honesty I wouldn't have been able to buy it this weekend and would have to wait ages. It's just easier with my cash flow to pre-order and know I'm going to have it. That being said while early access for preordering is nice I don't need it - two dollars off or another small discount for a pre-order on the other hand that would be nice.

Also the reason they let the reviewers on youtube get it free is because it's great advertising, that being said the likely reason that game review websites are passed up is because they're known to be completely bais and tend not to be trustworthy. It would be easier to sell a game if I handed it to a youtuber and made them stream 2hrs of content while giving positive reactions than if I had a site that has given rave reviews for bad games review it.
  • poisonedsodapoppoisonedsodapop Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited June 2018
    Don't you have to pay extra to get early access? With the Origin thing? I mean it's not normal to gain early access just from preordering. Preordering in general is just to reserve yourself a copy and is more important for physical games than digital.

Also the game changers get the games for free in exchange for a good word. They aren't too critical and are people who actually enjoy the game. They may not get that same review from someone at IGN or Gamespot. Free press that they know will be good and build hype.
    Hoping some day for some toddlers. But also dreading they'll never come. JK THEY ARE HERE!
    Treebrooke wrote: »
    This was my first time pre-ordering the game and the only reason why I did it was because of my money situation. I don’t exactly know when I’m going to have the extra money. So when I did have the money I brought it so I can play with it.

This is the exact reason why I pre-order if I have the money. Honesty I wouldn't have been able to buy it this weekend and would have to wait ages. It's just easier with my cash flow to pre-order and know I'm going to have it. That being said while early access for preordering is nice I don't need it - two dollars off or another small discount for a pre-order on the other hand that would be nice.

Also the reason they let the reviewers on youtube get it free is because it's great advertising, that being said the likely reason that game review websites are passed up is because they're known to be completely bais and tend not to be trustworthy. It would be easier to sell a game if I handed it to a youtuber and made them stream 2hrs of content while giving positive reactions than if I had a site that has given rave reviews for bad games review it.

Ok so update on this EA DOES not charge the day you "Buy" it but the day it's released. According to the tech support person I spoke to it's because "People kept demanding refunds for pre-orders." so yeah...there is LITERALLY no point to a pre order, like at all.
  • a_niles06a_niles06 Posts: 3,019 Member
    edited June 2018

Ok so update on this EA DOES not charge the day you "Buy" it but the day it's released. According to the tech support person I spoke to it's because "People kept demanding refunds for pre-orders." so yeah...there is LITERALLY no point to a pre order, like at all.

My preorder purchase came out the day I did the order. It’s already processed through and is a completed transaction and Origin is counting it as a product I own. I’ve never had a preorder not process immediately. Either there was a misunderstanding when you spoke with tech support or the person told you wrong. That process doesn’t make any sense at all.
    ezgif_com_resize.gif

a_niles06 wrote: »

My preorder purchase came out the day I did the order. It’s already processed through and is a completed transaction and Origin is counting it as a product I own. I’ve never had a preorder not process immediately. Either there was a misunderstanding when you spoke with tech support or the person told you wrong. That process doesn’t make any sense at all.

I REALLY REALLY hope so!
  • TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    edited June 2018
    I think I need to help clarify the issue of when your card is being charged, because clearly EA support doesn't know their own rules (they are just a call center you know right?) and people are getting confused based on different information.

To quote EA's TOS

In certain cases, we may charge your payment method up to two weeks prior to the release date (we will confirm the payment with a confirmation email).

Certain cases like if you pre-order it within two weeks of release like I did and more to the point YOU SHOULD have an email confirming the purchase. As well I suspect they will attempt to start charging all credit cards 48hrs before release, so you have the product ready if not sooner.

So let me rephrase that, you will have two emails if your credit card was processed and you've paid for seasons as I do and as stated by the TOS. One will be the confirmation of the pre-order, the other one will look like a bill from origin confirming the payment as stated above. If you've received the other email confirming payment has been made and you see a charge on your credit card - not a pre-authorization but an actual charge - if you have this then you've been billed and paid for it.

Don't believe me ask your bank or check your credit card online. My bank shows pre-authorizations, pending charges and actual charges so I know whats what.
  • miss_simlishmiss_simlish Posts: 460 Member
    I’m not sure how EA does it (I preordered through PayPal, haven’t bothered to check on it) but I used to work at a bank and this might help anyone confused:

Typically in situations where you are expected to pay in the future, the company charging you will send a pre authorization of that amount to your account. It’s to check if you have the money, or not. Depending on your bank, it may show on your account, and take the money away from your balance. It looks the same as any other purchase, but the money isn’t actually gone. Your bank shows you it is, just so you don’t get confused. A lot of times, you can still overdraft your account though (“spend” that money), so be careful!

Other banks may show you the pre authorization, but not take the money away until it’s posted to the account (the company actually takes it). Your balance would show you have extra $ in this case, that you don’t actually have.

Best advice: always be aware of your accounts. :)
    Also! Credit Cards are everyone’s best friend. It’s much easier to get a refund and manage any issues with pre authorization on credit rather than straight from your own bank account.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I've pre ordered before and had the money taken out immediately. But then it was put back in without my knowledge and I accidentally spent it. Then they were to take it out again 3 days before. But since I didn't know that when the day came I didn't actually own the game and had to re buy it. I've never pre ordered since...
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• miss_simlishmiss_simlish Posts: 460 Member
    I've pre ordered before and had the money taken out immediately. But then it was put back in without my knowledge and I accidentally spent it. Then they were to take it out again 3 days before. But since I didn't know that when the day came I didn't actually own the game and had to re buy it. I've never pre ordered since...

That’s plum! But happens with pre authorizations a lot. Some banks have a time limit : the company has to actually take the money in x amount of time, or the authorization goes away.

• AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member

That’s plum! But happens with pre authorizations a lot. Some banks have a time limit : the company has to actually take the money in x amount of time, or the authorization goes away.

Yeah that was my first preorder, I had no idea how it works. Now that I do, I'll just buy on release lol
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited June 2018
    The lack of preorder exclusives is one of the greater things about TS4.

You’re comparing online games with The Sims 4. Most online games nowadays try to entice people to spend their money early, likely before the reviews start pouring in to influence buyers. There is no reason for The Sims to have preorder exclusives. Just sit tight and wait 2 days — it’ll be here before you know it.
  • altg1229altg1229 Posts: 89 Member
    I do think it's a bit silly that there's no real incentive to preordering - besides paying for it when you have the money like some previous posters pointed out (which I wish I had thought to do because I won't be paid for a few more weeks and won't be able to buy it until then!!!) - especially for digital copies. A few days early access or a small discount for preordering would make so much more sense. But I don't see what giving free early access to game changers has to do with whether or not your average Joe gets early access through pre-ordering... As someone said earlier, the game changers essentially work for EA, so while they may not actually pay for the DLC, they're paying in other ways.
  • Mouse1996Mouse1996 Posts: 269 Member
    I like the fact that I can preorder. I admit it's kind of a bummer we don't get a little something special for preordering, but pre-ordering is just an invitation to buy like all shopping is. I like that I can purchase it and not have to worry about buying it later. It took a bit before I was charged this time, and I ordered on the day pre-orders went up.

As for the gamer changers, that is cheap advertisement for them. Just the cost of the game and they probably gave it out to a small fraction of the Sims community. so they aren't out of pocket that much. They are reaching audiences that they wouldn't reach with gaming publications, and I personally don't trust gaming publications. I'd rather hear and see the reactions from fellow Simmers. Sure, we'd all like the opportunity to get the game free, and you can do that. You can work on a platform, build a community, and sign up to become a game changer. SimGuruKate talks about that on her Twitter if you are interested. The game changers work hard for what they get, so I'm not too jealous of them getting the game early and for free. And I saw mention that those who pre-order should get the game for free...then who will pay the people who work on the game? The Sims would be no more. If you want to save some money on the pack, wait a few months and get the pack on a good sale, the holidays will be a good time for that. :)
    ed_zpsyclgaymk.gif
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    #1 - No one is forced to pre-order. #2 - Sims 4 has never had pre-order bonuses for EP, GP and SP add-on content so I'm not sure why anyone would expect that to suddenly be different almost 4 years later. #3 - Some people just like to pay for things and get the purchase out of the way or people who need to budget may want to pay for it while they can. You can pre-order movies....you can place a purchase order for a new car before it's out...etc., etc....there are all sort of things that can be pre-ordered and it doesn't automatically entitle the purchaser to some special bonus or early access/delivery. Not everyone likes to wait until the last minute to take care of stuff. #4 - Even if you want to pre-order, you're not required to do so through Origin. Gamestop and Best Buy often have some sort of deal for pre-orders. I was trading in some video games for store credit at Gamestop and, because of that, I got an extra $5 discount on pre-ordering Seasons...but the discount only applied to pre-orders. Best Buy gives $10 in rewards credit for certain pre-orders. #5 - Gamechangers get early access so they can post videos which is advertising for EA and helps customers get a better look at the product before they decide to buy it.
  • mngrrl35mngrrl35 Posts: 6 New Member
    I preordered on the 11th of June and it has already been taken out of my account and origin says I already purchased. I talked to EA support via chat and he looked at me account and said I am good to go and nothing will be taken out as it was already done on the 11th.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Mouse1996 wrote: »
    As for the gamer changers, that is cheap advertisement for them. Just the cost of the game and they probably gave it out to a small fraction of the Sims community. so they aren't out of pocket that much. They are reaching audiences that they wouldn't reach with gaming publications, and I personally don't trust gaming publications. I'd rather hear and see the reactions from fellow Simmers.

I would much rather trust the gaming publications who aren't paid by EA to like them blindly. The game changers are the last people I would trust for this very reason. Out of all the YouTube reviewers, LGR is the only one I trust because he not only give praise where its due (he liked Vampires and Parenthood), but he also gives honest criticism where he felt it was just meh (everything else).

I'm just sad that EA isn't as generous about TS4 as they were with the previous TS1- TS3 games. With those games, I almost always bought the packs full priced and pre-ordered and EA deserve that money because they gave us SO MUCH quality gameplay/items in each pack (and bonus items too for pre-ordering!). But now? Not really. There's no reason to pre-order. You can just set that money aside physically if you have to or have a stronger resolve to manage your money better.

I really hope for TS5 that they will revert back to jam-packing the EPs, etc. with more quality gameplay and bring back the bonuses for pre-ordering like they did with TS1-TS3. I promise you that I will be practically throwing all my money at EA if they do this!
  • mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member
    I think it's foolish of EA to not offer some sort of incentive to pre-order, when by all accounts 4 has not done so well. I used to pre-order to get the free download. Now, there is no incentive to pre-order, so why would I? Then I wait until YouTubers review and end up deciding to wait to purchase until it's on sale. In my case, EA is actually losing money by not offering so sort of incentive that would probably cost them pennies at most.
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,627 Member
    I think it's foolish of EA to not offer some sort of incentive to pre-order, when by all accounts 4 has not done so well. I used to pre-order to get the free download. Now, there is no incentive to pre-order, so why would I? Then I wait until YouTubers review and end up deciding to wait to purchase until it's on sale. In my case, EA is actually losing money by not offering so sort of incentive that would probably cost them pennies at most.

SimGurus say that Sims 4 has done well. EA has said so too, in its shareholder reports. It's only Simmers who don't have said it's not doing well, based on nothing but anectodal info.

Maybe not enough people preorder DLC to make it worth creating an incentive? It's not like they get more money for it - you pay the same price as if you order it release day. They don't even get your money early, since for most people (maybe even all now?) no money is taken from your credit card till release time. What's the point on EA's part to do extra work so people can not actually give them money early? There's no advantage on preorders for EA, which I suppose is probably why some packs (SPs and I think GPs) you can't even preorder.

As for Game Changers getting an advantage from getting the game early, the only difference if preorders got it early too would probably be that Game Changers would get it even earlier. It's not like EA is going to not give those people earlier access than people who don't meet the criteria to get into the Game Changer program. So you'd end up with the same complaint. If you want early access like Game Changers have, put the time and effort in that it takes to earn it.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    There is really no point to pre-ordering. I always wait anyway to watch actual gameplay footage that does not come from game changers or EA livestream sources. I find the game changers to be unreliable and bias. I also wait at least 3 to 6 months (sometimes longer) before purchasing because I prefer to only get content on sale.
  • Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    There's no point in pre-ordering most dvds, games, books etc. but people still do it, unless it specifically states there's a bonus for buying before release then no one should assume they'll be getting something, especially this late into The Sims 4's run.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Pre-order in TS3 always gave us something extra or early access didn't it? Or am I confused. I don't see the point at all for TS4.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

Maybe not enough people preorder DLC to make it worth creating an incentive? It's not like they get more money for it - you pay the same price as if you order it release day. They don't even get your money early, since for most people (maybe even all now?) no money is taken from your credit card till release time. What's the point on EA's part to do extra work so people can not actually give them money early? There's no advantage on preorders for EA, which I suppose is probably why some packs (SPs and I think GPs) you can't even preorder.

Did you not read the previous posts at all? Some of them are reporting that their money has already been taken by EA:
    mngrrl35 wrote: »
    I preordered on the 11th of June and it has already been taken out of my account and origin says I already purchased. I talked to EA support via chat and he looked at me account and said I am good to go and nothing will be taken out as it was already done on the 11th.

In regard to shareholder reports, they're quite vague about how TS4 itself is faring - they always refer to the general The Sims products as a whole, so when they're saying it's doing fine, they're including The Sims Mobile and The Sims Freeplay games as well. So far I haven't seen individual numbers for TS4.
  • BreeSashaBreeSasha Posts: 637 Member
    There is no point to preordering anymore, not through Origin at least. Now games used to have preorder bonuses like extra content or stores would offer physical projects like a poster or something. But now I think its not worth it. Might as well buy it after its already out.
  • Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    I agree, it would be really nice to give you some sort of reason to preorder it. Early access, even 24 hours earlier, would be really appreciated.