March 19 - The Sims Alexa Skill got a StrangerVille and Medieval update! Read the details here.

Culling, Relationship Culling & Decay: Current Status

Comments

  • surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 848 Member
    What I don't get is why can't we just turn off culling all together? MCCC allows us to turn it off and implement our own culling rules. If I think I need more space I can delete sims on my own or remove relationships that don't need to be there. If a mod can do it, why can't y'all just implement that in the base game?

    Thats what ive always said and wondered.
    I really dont care about sim culling. I just house the sims I want around. But relationship culling really bothers me. Like a lot. Why is it so hard to freeze relationships between 2 housed sims? How is calculating decay easier than just freezing relationships?
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 27,326 Member
    edited December 2017
    I understood that You can basically shut culling off in the game now they patched in culling control - but do not advise to to do the unlimited unless you are running a real high in gaming desktop - but you can do it with a a click in options now and favoring your sims.

    I do not believe that controls the NPC townies though - as the AI seems to control them.

    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 30,697 Member
    edited December 2017
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I understood that You can basically shut culling off in the game now they patched in culling control - but do not advise to to do the unlimited unless you are running a real high in gaming desktop - but you can do it with a a click in options now and favoring your sims.

    I do not believe that controls the NPC townies though - as the AI seems to control them.

    What you can do is set the number of Sims you can manually protect from culling; you can't, in game, completely turn off culling. But you can add any Sims you can see in Household Management to your protected group (depending on your settings there). Still, even if your max protection is "unlimited," culling of some kind will start at 575. It will just hit unprotected Sims and the dead first. (Previously, we had to house Sims to protect them; now you can protect, say, a favourite mail carrier without them losing their job.)
    surraaaaaa wrote: »
    What I don't get is why can't we just turn off culling all together? MCCC allows us to turn it off and implement our own culling rules. If I think I need more space I can delete sims on my own or remove relationships that don't need to be there. If a mod can do it, why can't y'all just implement that in the base game?

    Thats what ive always said and wondered.
    I really dont care about sim culling. I just house the sims I want around. But relationship culling really bothers me. Like a lot. Why is it so hard to freeze relationships between 2 housed sims? How is calculating decay easier than just freezing relationships?

    It's a question of what they're able to support within the tech requirements. Whatever we do via mods, they don't have to support that. Even within what they've done this time around, they've included a warning on the max protection.

    Re. relationship culling, there's a lot less of it than there was originally - they toned it way down. It definitely has a performance impact. Again, they've made it possible to do with mods what they can't support within the tech requirements.
    FAQ: culling relationship decay
    #freethebabies #TeamToasters #TeamPlayableGnomes #TeamFarms #FarmTeam #BouncyCastle!!
  • surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 848 Member
    edited December 2017
    @luthienrising

    I hear yaaaa................ But i still think adding relationship decay/culling is one of the "plummiest plumming" things to be in this game...
    I mean they made it so 1 play style just about HAS to be played with mods. It has to be. Doesn't matter if my sim is in the "saved households" section and housed. I can't play her brothers family for a sim week without her losing just about everyone.
    So if it has to do with tech requirements.... I wonder about their tech here...
    (I also wonder if devs even know their game, considering rel. culling came around GT and am I the only one who remembers Sergio and Siobhan were shipped boyfriend/girlfriend? Unless you play as them you wouldn't know. Theyre in the same club, but they still get culled)

    (Im also not trying to sass you, if it comes across that way... Just this culling kills me.)
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 30,697 Member
    edited December 2017
    surraaaaaa wrote: »
    @luthienrising

    I hear yaaaa................ But i still think adding relationship decay/culling is one of the "plummiest plumming" things to be in this game...
    I mean they made it so 1 play style just about HAS to be played with mods. It has to be. Doesn't matter if my sim is in the "saved households" section and housed. I can't play her brothers family for a sim week without her losing just about everyone.
    So if it has to do with tech requirements.... I wonder about their tech here...
    (I also wonder if devs even know their game, considering rel. culling came around GT and am I the only one who remembers Sergio and Siobhan were shipped boyfriend/girlfriend? Unless you play as them you wouldn't know. Theyre in the same club, but they still get culled)

    (Im also not trying to sass you, if it comes across that way... Just this culling kills me.)

    Understood. But if you have concerns about the system, the better place for that is Feedback. (This thread is intended just to make info available about how the system works.) Also, it's not about their tech, it's about the limitations of the tech that players own and that they are required to make the game work on. Both kinds of culling address the number of calculations that the game is constantly making and that impacts how hard our computers have to work. Unless the game were to be limited to people with high-end computers, cutting out a lot of the market and making the game itself even more expensive, something like this is always going to be necessary. Thankfully, they've made both kinds of culling mod-accessible for players who want to go beyond what they have to support, and they've also worked to improve the systems over time.
    FAQ: culling relationship decay
    #freethebabies #TeamToasters #TeamPlayableGnomes #TeamFarms #FarmTeam #BouncyCastle!!
  • FirandeFirande Posts: 575 Member
    Okay, I REALLY need your expertise to help me deal with this issue:

    The newest patch and culling system kind of broke my game, as ghost culling no longer appears to work for me. I kept getting last exception files on ghost culling, and now all of my ghosts have been resurrected. They are now in manage households as normal but nameless households; it's when I place them into a lot and try to load it that it shows just how bugged these Sims are. The game is unable to load these households and the Sim will appear in the bottom left without traits or aspiration. This is without doubt the worst bug I've ever experienced and you can hopefully imagine how frustrated and also frightened it makes me: not only do all of my "dead" Sims appear as alive in family trees, which I hate, but they're also actually undead in my game and have some major coding issues - I'm honestly afraid that they might break my game and I want them OUT. However, I really don't want to delete them because that would mean I'd lose them in my family trees, while I created some of them specifically to appear in family trees. I thought that a zombie apocalypse was the last thing I'd have to be afraid of in TS4, but well here I am.
    CdRUHj6.png
    nPgADsR.png

    So my question is: do any of you have any advise as to how to deal with this issue? I'd rather these ghosts not be culled if they only reappear as undead Sims, so any way to stop them from being released to the netherworld? Not looking to have to communicate with them all the time. Or is there any mod that might be able to deal with this? I have MCCC in and am seriously considering to stop culling altogether. If I do decide to delete these Sims myself, they will disappear from family trees too, right? Anyone got anything? I'm getting desperate. :#
    HandsomeYoungAardwolf-size_restricted.gif
  • CementCement Posts: 3,102 Member
    Firande wrote: »
    Okay, I REALLY need your expertise to help me deal with this issue:

    The newest patch and culling system kind of broke my game, as ghost culling no longer appears to work for me. I kept getting last exception files on ghost culling, and now all of my ghosts have been resurrected. They are now in manage households as normal but nameless households; it's when I place them into a lot and try to load it that it shows just how bugged these Sims are. The game is unable to load these households and the Sim will appear in the bottom left without traits or aspiration. This is without doubt the worst bug I've ever experienced and you can hopefully imagine how frustrated and also frightened it makes me: not only do all of my "dead" Sims appear as alive in family trees, which I hate, but they're also actually undead in my game and have some major coding issues - I'm honestly afraid that they might break my game and I want them OUT. However, I really don't want to delete them because that would mean I'd lose them in my family trees, while I created some of them specifically to appear in family trees. I thought that a zombie apocalypse was the last thing I'd have to be afraid of in TS4, but well here I am.
    CdRUHj6.png
    nPgADsR.png

    So my question is: do any of you have any advise as to how to deal with this issue? I'd rather these ghosts not be culled if they only reappear as undead Sims, so any way to stop them from being released to the netherworld? Not looking to have to communicate with them all the time. Or is there any mod that might be able to deal with this? I have MCCC in and am seriously considering to stop culling altogether. If I do decide to delete these Sims myself, they will disappear from family trees too, right? Anyone got anything? I'm getting desperate. :#

    I've had "the undead" in my game since C&D, so that isn't from the new patch. It's a glitch that @cameronw209 noted in the last page :)
    Regarding the issue that others above are posting where ghosts are being resurrected on their own and appearing as alive in family trees, household management, or as another user has reported, the game moving a bugged ghost into a house...

    This bug has been reported, so I'll leave a link just in case anyone else comes to report it here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/TO-TEST-Dead-Sims-look-alive-in-the-familytree/m-p/6433445

    It's annoying, but I'm just ignoring them for now. Luckily for me, they're not popping up anywhere aside from noticing them on fam trees and in management.
  • FirandeFirande Posts: 575 Member
    @Cement With the newest patch I meant the November patch, as the December patch wasn't out yet at my time of writing. Thank you for the link to the bug report. I guess I'll just wait, then. I've heard cases where MCCC marries these undead off to unplayed Sims, which I would really hate if that happens. But I guess I'll just have to wait. Thanks!
    HandsomeYoungAardwolf-size_restricted.gif
  • LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,438 Member
    So why arent these options available for the console version? I Dont see them available. Whats the population limit for this game?
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 3,959 Member
    So why arent these options available for the console version? I Dont see them available. Whats the population limit for this game?

    For the web version, the population limit is now 575. I presume the console version is the same in terms of Sim population limit.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    Simblr

    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • JanieLynJanieLyn Posts: 58 Member
    The relationship and family relationships don't seem to be working after Cats and Dogs. :(
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,334 Member
    JanieLyn wrote: »
    The relationship and family relationships don't seem to be working after Cats and Dogs. :(

    Do you mean the relationship cheats? Or are you having problems with relationship culling?
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 3,959 Member
    Has anyone tested the new patch today to see if they "ghosted" the fixes with the ghost culling without informing us?
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    Simblr

    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • JanieLynJanieLyn Posts: 58 Member
    edited January 2018
    Terra, I've since found out it was the family relationship glitch. I couldn't get my father's father to be his father, it kept saying you couldn't change an existing sim. I had testingcheats on and cas.fulleditmode. So he is his mother's husband but not his father. >.< Couldn't use the relationship text cheat to change it either.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,174 Member
    Culling cap has been increased by 100 in the Seasons pre-patch (so it's now at 675)
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 782 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    Culling cap has been increased by 100 in the Seasons pre-patch (so it's now at 675)

    Wonderful! Thanks @Neia
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 30,697 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    Culling cap has been increased by 100 in the Seasons pre-patch (so it's now at 675)

    Was not expecting that! Off to update the OP :)
    FAQ: culling relationship decay
    #freethebabies #TeamToasters #TeamPlayableGnomes #TeamFarms #FarmTeam #BouncyCastle!!
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 3,568 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    Culling cap has been increased by 100 in the Seasons pre-patch (so it's now at 675)

    Glad (for RAM) than is much better optimised than TS3
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,634 Member
    @Neia

    was there anything reverted re: relationship culling ?

    I just got this a bit disturbing report at AHQ: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Sims-forget-already-existing-relationships/m-p/6887902
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,174 Member
    I double-checked and I didn't see any changes in the relationship culling. There were lots of changes, and I didn't check all the modified files, just the ones that I think would be related to culling, so it's possible I missed something .

    The AHQ report could be the intended behavior if the Sims have more than 35 relationships already though, best friends and romantic interactions would then be kept and some friends/coworkers/club members could be lost.
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,634 Member
    Ok, Thanks for checking @Neia
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

  • TravisBlackfoxTravisBlackfox Posts: 491 Member
    I discovered friends being lost by mistake. I just got Seasons and went to check out the world to see the new changes. When I clicked to travel and choose who he gets to travel with I saw all humans other than two he recently started talking to and his husband were gone. So basically the 40 plus people he's introduced himself to (kids and adults alike) were gone. All but one or two stray animals he's introduced himself were gone too. Of course household remained untouched, but everyone else is gone and he's got to reintroduce himself to them all over again apparently. Not sure if that helps with anything here, but I see folks are having that mentioned so here is my addition.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 557 Member
    So, is there a way to prevent obsolescence of townies ?

    I have mods that prevent sims from being culled but the oldest npcs are not being used for anything at all in the game.
    No new job, no new roles, (presumably) no new skills.

    My game regenerated a dozen+ selvadoradian natives, even though the first ones are still in the game.
    (A few were drafted as street musicians/bartenders, I didn't think THAT would render the lot unfit)
    Same for GTW active careers employees, after being left alone for a while, they are replaced by new npcs, and the old ones still hang around in the game, forever useless.
  • goldengurl053goldengurl053 Posts: 3 New Member
    I know that they updated the maximum population count after Seasons released. Have they done the same with Get Famous? I think it would make sense to do so after adding a new world and new Sims, but I haven’t heard anything about it.
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 3,568 Member
    edited November 2018
    I know that they updated the maximum population count after Seasons released. Have they done the same with Get Famous? I think it would make sense to do so after adding a new world and new Sims, but I haven’t heard anything about it.

    I'd say no needed with GF as Season patch raised to near 500 (will need 1st post updated to confirm)

    EDIT: Current now limit is 675.... should read the entire thread to know the history on how from 180 we are now at 675
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top