Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Willingly Writing Reading Circle (On Hiatus)

Comments

• ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    Alright, more light questions for you all:

Favorite scene?
    The shopping scene was really adorable with all the friends helping Lizzie out.
    Favorite story setting?
    I love how you do festivals .
    Favorite side characters(s)?
    Munter! :O the poor guy! I hope he finds lots of happiness. ^^
    Favorite quote?
    I have no idea. I love reading all of it. Perhaps the Antwan reference since it amused me greatly :3
    Favorite Lizzie outfit?
    Is it bad that I don't pay to much attention to the clothes? What comes to mind I suppose is the green dress xD
    Favorite couple pairing?
    Still super rooting for Lizzie and Joseph to work things out .
    Favorite friendship?
    I love Lizzie and Riley's friendship a lot!

I'm a little bit behind so I'm going to answer these ones real quick before continuing to read
    edited June 2018
    What are your thoughts on Simself stories?
    Honestly... I'm loving them. I'm still fairly new to the Sims literature scene so I'm still stumbling on new stories and new story styles. LASL and legacy's buildnewcrest are the first two simselves stories I've read. Conveniently both sharing the shirtless Joseph. :p and I love them! It is so interesting to see all the characters. And since CathyTea and Cog and Friends fan are the ones who helped me so much in getting started here on the forums I've loved watching them in the stories.

How does LASL compare or contrast to others?
    Well. Since I can only compare it to one. I'll just say Joseph xD
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    @xJojox, @Piazzagirl1015, @friendsfan367, @candycottonchu, @Maladi777
    @simscognito, @LegacySims2017, @Shadami, and just because... @CathyTea, because I'm loving all your comments on the story lately. :)

Hey everyone, we're into the official week of discussion. Tagging peoples who are in this reading circle and then peoples who have been participating in the discussion thus far.

I meant to plan ahead and have a series of great questions for you all, and then the weekend got away from me. Good news! I have chapters finished through the 2nd of July since I wrote 7 chapters between Friday and this morning. Woot for writing spurts! On that subject, I guess I'll ask questions about the writing.

What about the story holds your interest?

I typically write plot driven stories and this is my first dive into full ISBI game-driven territory. I honestly want to get to know each and every character and explore the psyche and personality of my main characters based on creative interpretation of game play (and the little bit of input from those who submitted Sims through their initial bios. LASL has a large cast of characters. I'm actively trying to feature all submitted Sims every once in awhile. Of course, some more than others get featured more often (some for very obvious reasons.

What are your thoughts about the character development? Do you enjoy the large cast or is it difficult to follow along? Are the characters believable and interesting?

Does the story feel like an ISBI? Is there anything I could do to improve the story in your opinion?

This story has truly ventured over into the "drama territory" more so than I planned. As an ISBI, I don't control much, but I do still plan out in my head some goals for Lizzie or decisions. Even so, the game and my Simself and the Sim characters in general have minds, ideas, and opinions of their own, making for the interesting challenge of explaining everything. What are your thoughts on the conflict and tension in the story?

In my opinion, the story (and the drama) kind of ebbs and flows. What are your thoughts on the pacing?

What questions do you have for me?
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Thanks for tagging me! Super happy to be included in this conversation on what's become one of my all-time favorite works of SimLit! :)

I'm making supper now, so I'll ponder while I cook and swing on back later! (Yes, Sis! Forums do have swings! :D )
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Thanks for tagging me! Super happy to be included in this conversation on what's become one of my all-time favorite works of SimLit! :)

I'm making supper now, so I'll ponder while I cook and swing on back later! (Yes, Sis! Forums do have swings! :D )

lol how did she know i was here i was lurking. sissy intuition i guess. :)

Awww... :blush: Thank you so much, @CathyTea. I posted earlier questions in a page or so back too if you'd like to answer those also. :) I thought you'd appreciate being included, and your Simself had a lovely appearance today which got me thinking about you and @Shadami.

lol how did she know i was here i was lurking. sissy intuition i guess. :)

@friendsfan367 Ha! I love it! I like this concept of swings in the forums. I was trying to find a swings GIF but the forums dislike me right now and I can't post. I'll try again later.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member
    Shadami wrote: »
    Honestly... I'm loving them. I'm still fairly new to the Sims literature scene so I'm still stumbling on new stories and new story styles. LASL and legacy's buildnewcrest are the first two simselves stories I've read. Conveniently both sharing the shirtless Joseph. :p and I love them! It is so interesting to see all the characters. And since CathyTea and Cog and Friends fan are the ones who helped me so much in getting started here on the forums I've loved watching them in the stories.

Everyone loves a shirtless Joseph. :grimace:
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)

especially joseph.

legacy likes when i tease him. if he makes the joseph face after i post this go look in the writers lounge thats where he wrote it. :p
    hey... now it works!

giphy.gif

Cute, right?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    hey... now it works!

giphy.gif

Cute, right?

i get swings thurday night. because i preordered.

especially joseph.

legacy likes when i tease him. if he makes the joseph face after i post this go look in the writers lounge thats where he wrote it. :p

:grimace:

@friendsfan367 made me do it!
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    hey... now it works!

giphy.gif

Cute, right?

Hint that to EA/Maxis ... Those who have Cats & Dogs can have them on swings from Seasons :wink:
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
  • Piazzagirl1015Piazzagirl1015 Posts: 2,500 Member
    hey... now it works!

giphy.gif

Cute, right?

Hint that to EA/Maxis ... Those who have Cats & Dogs can have them on swings from Seasons :wink:

I second this!

Your Simself, Riley and Akira have a spot (though no visual) in the latest chapter.

Any wedding bells yet? :D

Wedding bells? Did somebody say? @Shadami

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    edited June 2018
    Your Simself, Riley and Akira have a spot (though no visual) in the latest chapter.

Spoiler alert!!!
    Wedding bells are in the future... for more than one couple! And probably an unexpected one too. I just played the cutest wedding tonight. :p

Opps... not saying more!

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest

Spoiler alert!!!
    Wedding bells are in the future... for more than one couple! And probably an unexpected one too. I just played the cutest wedding tonight. :p

Opps... not saying more!

say more . you know you want too. :p
    I'm skipping the favorites questions, because I can never choose!

But I'll tell you what I'm currently loving most about the story: I really love the way that it shows a couple who have fallen out of alignment with each other, yet still obviously love each other, and are still hoping to find their ways back to each other. This feels so very real to me! And I'm really pulling for both of them. I also love that this comes from the game and the ways that the Sims have changed after the things that happened in the game. It feels so authentic--and it is!
    What about the story holds your interest?

I typically write plot driven stories and this is my first dive into full ISBI game-driven territory. I honestly want to get to know each and every character and explore the psyche and personality of my main characters based on creative interpretation of game play (and the little bit of input from those who submitted Sims through their initial bios. LASL has a large cast of characters. I'm actively trying to feature all submitted Sims every once in awhile. Of course, some more than others get featured more often (some for very obvious reasons.

One thing I love best about both writing and reading game-driven or Sim-driven stories is that the game and the Sims collaborate with the writer. This contributes something extra that plot-driven stories often don't have. With my own stories that are not Sim or game-driven (both SimLit and nonSimLit), they come fully from my imagination--in a way, each character is drawn from aspects of myself: my feelings, my inner conflicts, my past, my history, my dreams, parts of my personality, and so on. While this offers a lot in terms to me as a writer, in terms of personal growth, exploration, discovery, and mental and emotional health, it's all very contained within--very internal.

This story, like the best game-driven and Sim-driven stories, introduces new things--because I've read a lot (maybe almost all?) of Lizzie's work, and I've known her for a few years, I know that we get characters and plots in this story that come from outside of her--it really is like seeing a person's life and seeing all the others she encounters. In our lives, we can't control others! (or at least, if we try it leads to a pile of messiness and confusion!) And this has that element of something beyond one person's imagination at work. It feels really authentic and real and rich to me.

I also love with Sim-driven games that we get to know these Sims' lives--it's not the invention of a person. We see the dynamics and choices of the actual Sims. That shows in the screenshots--Sims are so revealing of their feelings, states, and emotions. And so this really comes through in a way that doesn't happen with staged or posed stories, no matter how good of actors the Sims are.

Now the skill of the writer, and the real creative aspect, come in the interpretation of the Sims' actions, interactions, and behaviors. All the plot we get, Lizzie has actually interpreted. It takes a high level of writing skill and creativity to be able to weave together such an intricate and full story from the actions of the Sims. It also takes incredible psychological insight and keen observation. So, truly, this is what holds my interest: I am fascinated by the intellectual and creative process of the writer in weaving an integrated story from this game.

Have you read @cecerose0208 's neighborhood rotation, Dreams and Drama? Especially in rounds 8 and 9, this story has a similar richness, interconnectedness, and surprisingly individual characters. Also, so much drama! It's really fascinating to me how game-driven and Sim-driven stories can be so dramatic!

What are your thoughts about the character development? Do you enjoy the large cast or is it difficult to follow along? Are the characters believable and interesting?

I kinda hinted at this above, but I love the character development! I love the large cast. Since so many are SimSelves or have been donated by Simmers I know, it's super easy for me to keep them all straight.

I really love Karleen. And I like John, too. I sort of especially like these two because they weren't donated by other players--they feel to me like they're natives to this game! LOL!

Every single character is interesting and different from the other. Again, I think this is an advantage to Sim-driven stories. It also shows how closely you're observing them.

One thing I absolutely love is how you capture the Simmer behind the Sim! Cathy Tea sounds like me, albeit a more confident me. And Sissy's SimSelf sounds like her! It's really neat the way you bring out the best in everyone while also allowing them their flaws and idiosyncracies. I feel a lot of love behind each character, and I really like that!

This is another way that this reminds me of cecerose's Dreams and Drama--same feeling of love for every Sims, same approach of letting them all have their flaws, and loving them anyway--seeing the best, while not ignoring the worst!

I find myself using these two stories as life-inspiration: I want to have that same acceptance and love of everyone in my life, appreciating the ways they're different from me, loving their strengths, seeing the flaws without criticism, but with compassion and love. These are both sort of life-lesson stories for me.

And, @AdamsEve1231 , I really adore the way that you extend that same compassion and love to your SimSelf! It's such a healthy and inspiring portrayal of self-compassion! Really inspiring to me and it always makes me feel healthy and balanced, no matter how many challenges the characters feel, and even if I feel sad. I know that there's so much love there, it'll work out somehow! (Believe it or not, I also felt this way when reading Colt Family Traitacy! That was a quality that allowed me to read a story about characters who were really having some tough times and weren't really all that loving to each other much of the time. There was still the author's love behind the words and that made all the difference for me.)
    Does the story feel like an ISBI?

Yes and no? The surprising actions and interactions of the Sims--and the crazy typical Sim stuff like the sit-ups and push-ups (which you handle beautifully in story. It actually feels realistic to me, now, for Cog and Joseph to randomly jump into push-ups/sit-ups. Of course, I've been immersed in videos from my favorite boy-band, Got7, and they randomly do weird things, too, so I'm sort of accepting that people just do that.)--feel very ISBI-ish to me. What doesn't feel ISBI-ish is that this doesn't have follow the typical ISBI writing conventions (hearing the Simmer's voice, making comments about 'how stupid Sims are'...). It feels like a novel, and that's what makes it so engaging to me.

I also really, really care about every single character--more so, because they are choosing their actions.

Is there anything I could do to improve the story in your opinion?

How about buying Lizzie and Joseph a tea pot? And a coffee pot? More plants?

Just keep doing what you're doing! It's fantastic, and I'm not sure it could be better.
    This story has truly ventured over into the "drama territory" more so than I planned. As an ISBI, I don't control much, but I do still plan out in my head some goals for Lizzie or decisions. Even so, the game and my Simself and the Sim characters in general have minds, ideas, and opinions of their own, making for the interesting challenge of explaining everything. What are your thoughts on the conflict and tension in the story?

Yup. See above.

I love it. This is what I was trying to explain when I was talking about how the conflict feels more real than just conflict that a writer would invent. When we invent conflict, most of us turn towards the themes that are ripe for us at the moment. And this is interesting, and also rather internal.

This story introduces conflict that feels, to me, like the conflict we encounter in life. Things just happen. And we're left to make sense of them.

And I love how everyone (except maybe Goober and Straud) is a good person--good people find themselves in conflict with each other. This is brilliant, for this is what life is, in my experience.
    In my opinion, the story (and the drama) kind of ebbs and flows. What are your thoughts on the pacing?

Yeah, it's good. Natural. Fun. Engaging. I'm hoping Lizzie catches a break, but I totally trust the way that you and the game are collaborating here, so whatever happens will be cool by me!
    What questions do you have for me?

What's been the most fun?

What's been biggest challenge?

Who do you especially love?

What surprises you the most?

What's the most annoying thing you've encountered in playing the game?

What are the three most magical moments you encountered?

How do you manage to get each character to sound so right? What tips do you have for us in writing dialogue and making it sound real?

Has your attitude towards Sims changed in playing the game?

What is your theory about how the game's over-arching AI manages to create scenarios and events which somehow touch upon those particular themes that seem most ripe for that particular Simmer?

edited June 2018
    That is a long list of questions.

*throws flower petals* :D I also need to second pretty much everything that Cathy said, she just says it more eloquently. All the characters are so intriguing and I want to know more about all of their stories. I'm always excited when I see a new part has come out and it doesn't matter if it is a side arc or more storyline because it's all so good.

Also super short replies from me for now cause it's hard to focus. I accidentally gave myself a minor concussion standing up to quickly underneath my daughters bunk bed. I thought I was clear to stand. I was wrong.

*throws flower petals* :D I also need to second pretty much everything that Cathy said, she just says it more eloquently. All the characters are so intriguing and I want to know more about all of their stories. I'm always excited when I see a new part has come out and it doesn't matter if it is a side arc or more storyline because it's all so good.

Also super short replies from me for now cause it's hard to focus. I accidentally gave myself a minor concussion standing up to quickly underneath my daughters bunk bed. I thought I was clear to stand. I was wrong.

Oh, geez! Take care of your head! Hope you feel better soon.

@Shadami Oh goodness... feel better, dear.

*Throws flower petals* back to feel better!

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    edited June 2018
    Oh my goodness! You wrote a novel!! @CathyTea Thank you for all your amazingly kind words. I feel so honored. :) It's probably going to take me a week to respond to all your questions. I'll try to answer them as I can and find time.

I'll answer and address some of your comments first.
    But I'll tell you what I'm currently loving most about the story: I really love the way that it shows a couple who have fallen out of alignment with each other, yet still obviously love each other, and are still hoping to find their ways back to each other. This feels so very real to me! And I'm really pulling for both of them. I also love that this comes from the game and the ways that the Sims have changed after the things that happened in the game. It feels so authentic--and it is!
    As others find happiness, Joseph and Lizzie's relationship seems to spiral more out of control. It does feel authentic to life and I couldn't have explained it better than your description. Grieving and healing are a strange road to walk. These upcoming chapters (including today's) reminds me a bit of one of my favorite movies, Elizabethtown.

In the movie, there's a rather silly scene with man who is getting married and partying (and very drunk) in the next hotel room from the protagonist who is in town because his dad passed away. The groom-to-be says, "Life and death and death and life right next door to each other" before hugging the protagonist.

These lines have always stuck with me because while the scene is uncomfortable and humorous, the words are profound in their meaning. It makes sense. Grief and joy sometimes come in tandem, like life and death, hope and fear, and pain and pleasure and all sorts of other things. That's what makes this juxtaposition of a union of love and a marriage falling apart at the same time so intriguing and realistic.
    One thing I love best about both writing and reading game-driven or Sim-driven stories is that the game and the Sims collaborate with the writer. This contributes something extra that plot-driven stories often don't have. With my own stories that are not Sim or game-driven (both SimLit and nonSimLit), they come fully from my imagination--in a way, each character is drawn from aspects of myself: my feelings, my inner conflicts, my past, my history, my dreams, parts of my personality, and so on. While this offers a lot in terms to me as a writer, in terms of personal growth, exploration, discovery, and mental and emotional health, it's all very contained within--very internal.

This story, like the best game-driven and Sim-driven stories, introduces new things--because I've read a lot (maybe almost all?) of Lizzie's work, and I've known her for a few years, I know that we get characters and plots in this story that come from outside of her--it really is like seeing a person's life and seeing all the others she encounters. In our lives, we can't control others! (or at least, if we try it leads to a pile of messiness and confusion!) And this has that element of something beyond one person's imagination at work. It feels really authentic and real and rich to me.

I also love with Sim-driven games that we get to know these Sims' lives--it's not the invention of a person. We see the dynamics and choices of the actual Sims. That shows in the screenshots--Sims are so revealing of their feelings, states, and emotions. And so this really comes through in a way that doesn't happen with staged or posed stories, no matter how good of actors the Sims are.

Now the skill of the writer, and the real creative aspect, come in the interpretation of the Sims' actions, interactions, and behaviors. All the plot we get, Lizzie has actually interpreted. It takes a high level of writing skill and creativity to be able to weave together such an intricate and full story from the actions of the Sims. It also takes incredible psychological insight and keen observation. So, truly, this is what holds my interest: I am fascinated by the intellectual and creative process of the writer in weaving an integrated story from this game.

Wow... just wow. <3 Thank you. I truly strive to give every character a voice, backstory, and meaning in all my stories (plot-driven or not), and this one is in some ways easier because everyone is operating outside of player control and some ways harder because I'm forced to follow the confines of the game. To be honest, I'm not particularly disliking the "forced" part because it's challenging me as a writer and a gamer to think outside the box and exercise my creative juices. I feel myself growing as a writer though this process. I also feel like it's never boring and I never hit writer's block because I never know what's going to happen. It makes things interesting and engaging.

I really love Karleen. And I like John, too. I sort of especially like these two because they weren't donated by other players--they feel to me like they're natives to this game! LOL!

Every single character is interesting and different from the other. Again, I think this is an advantage to Sim-driven stories. It also shows how closely you're observing them.

One thing I absolutely love is how you capture the Simmer behind the Sim! Cathy Tea sounds like me, albeit a more confident me. And Sissy's SimSelf sounds like her! It's really neat the way you bring out the best in everyone while also allowing them their flaws and idiosyncracies. I feel a lot of love behind each character, and I really like that!

This is another way that this reminds me of cecerose's Dreams and Drama--same feeling of love for every Sims, same approach of letting them all have their flaws, and loving them anyway--seeing the best, while not ignoring the worst!

Karleen approves! Lol... the real life Karleen. She and I have been talking on an almost daily basis now and even though she's not a Sim gamer or a computer gamer per se, she's loving the updates and finds her character to be similar to life (minus some of Karleen's crazier choices). As I've grown in confidence in life, I've noticed it shows in game/my writing. Lol. Lizzie is definitely bolder and more confident than I am so I hear you on that, CT.

And in terms of seeing the best without ignoring the worst, that is very like my writing style. I like writing flawed characters because I feel they are authentic to life. No one is perfect, and yet I'm a big believer in hope and redemption even in the worst of situations. And I see their crazy antics in game, and their flaws and I do love them anyway. I'm glad that shows in the writing.

I find myself using these two stories as life-inspiration: I want to have that same acceptance and love of everyone in my life, appreciating the ways they're different from me, loving their strengths, seeing the flaws without criticism, but with compassion and love. These are both sort of life-lesson stories for me.

And, @AdamsEve1231 , I really adore the way that you extend that same compassion and love to your SimSelf! It's such a healthy and inspiring portrayal of self-compassion! Really inspiring to me and it always makes me feel healthy and balanced, no matter how many challenges the characters feel, and even if I feel sad. I know that there's so much love there, it'll work out somehow! (Believe it or not, I also felt this way when reading Colt Family Traitacy! That was a quality that allowed me to read a story about characters who were really having some tough times and weren't really all that loving to each other much of the time. There was still the author's love behind the words and that made all the difference for me.)

The Sims, among other things, have helped me on this journey to practicing self-love and self-compassion. Some of that is due to returning to a passion of mine - writing on a near daily basis - and some of that is due to accepting this nerdy/geeky gamer side of me and some of that is due to the lovely community of Simmers here. I try to illustrate this even in my bleaker stories (i.e. DMD and CFT). Understanding myself and caring for self is an important value for me so much so that I wrote my masters' thesis on the topic of taking care of self in a professional setting. The Sims gives me the opportunity to explore these themes, which is both fun and enlightening for me. I see these themes in your stories as well, @CathyTea.

Does the story feel like an ISBI?

Yes and no? The surprising actions and interactions of the Sims--and the crazy typical Sim stuff like the sit-ups and push-ups (which you handle beautifully in story. It actually feels realistic to me, now, for Cog and Joseph to randomly jump into push-ups/sit-ups. Of course, I've been immersed in videos from my favorite boy-band, Got7, and they randomly do weird things, too, so I'm sort of accepting that people just do that.)--feel very ISBI-ish to me. What doesn't feel ISBI-ish is that this doesn't have follow the typical ISBI writing conventions (hearing the Simmer's voice, making comments about 'how stupid Sims are'...). It feels like a novel, and that's what makes it so engaging to me.

I also really, really care about every single character--more so, because they are choosing their actions.

I love it when I can drop game play references in story. It's fun and yes, everyone's got idiosyncrasies and quirks. I respect that the Sims has its own culture so I just take that and run with it. It's not silly to me. It's real.

Is there anything I could do to improve the story in your opinion?

How about buying Lizzie and Joseph a tea pot? And a coffee pot? More plants?

Just keep doing what you're doing! It's fantastic, and I'm not sure it could be better.

I was thinking about plants actually. Thank you. I think Joseph's Cafe Immodere needs to make an appearance again. ;)

Maybe Liz and Joseph need to go on a coffee or tea date again like they did in the beginning. :)

Yup. See above.

I love it. This is what I was trying to explain when I was talking about how the conflict feels more real than just conflict that a writer would invent. When we invent conflict, most of us turn towards the themes that are ripe for us at the moment. And this is interesting, and also rather internal.

This story introduces conflict that feels, to me, like the conflict we encounter in life. Things just happen. And we're left to make sense of them.

And I love how everyone (except maybe Goober and Straud) is a good person--good people find themselves in conflict with each other. This is brilliant, for this is what life is, in my experience.

I bolded what you said above because I couldn't agree more. I didn't set out to create conflict here. I just let it happen. I've done this before like in KCLKF between Kass and Gage, Kass and Davis, Kass and her mom, etc. I wrote those conflicts into the story but this is the first time when I truly sat back, took off my player cap, and slipped into the role of Watcher/Observer.

Instead of controlling the characters, I sat back and asked myself why is this happening? What factors play a role in creating/perpetuating the conflict? Do my Sims want to make up or do they want to continue to let things be, fester, explode, implode, etc. and why? This is my love of psychology coming out probably. I like asking "why" a lot in all my stories, and especially in this one.

As for your other questions, I'll get to them throughout the week. Thank you again for all your nice words. I feel so encouraged and blessed. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • xJojoxxJojox Posts: 6,878 Member
    :( I too am not well. Ive been a little MIA for the last three days or so. I have bronchiolitis. Very very ill ...
    xJojox wrote: »
    :( I too am not well. Ive been a little MIA for the last three days or so. I have bronchiolitis. Very very ill ...

Ugh! Aw... feel better, @xJojox.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    xJojox wrote: »

Hope you feel better soon, Jojo! Get well!