Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Comments

• Dakotas05Dakotas05 Posts: 2 New Member
    U don't need an add blocker for the sims resource. I use it without one and it's fine
  • Dakotas05Dakotas05 Posts: 2 New Member
    *ad-blocker
  • equitydanesequitydanes Posts: 24 Member
    Thank you for this list, I appreciate it.
  • LaracroftEyes1LaracroftEyes1 Posts: 296 Member
    Has anyone who use Sims resource come across cloudfront.net when downloading a file from them?
    d10f10cfadd5b2e97043ba6ec57f8ced.jpg
  • KitiaraKitiara Posts: 128 Member
    Thank you for this list @starburstcece.I will have to check these out!!
    [img][/img]11053551_823395344363837_79524211670094589_n_zpsprazhny5.jpg

TOP 5

WISHLIST

• Thelovelysimmer328Thelovelysimmer328 Posts: 3 New Member
    Just a warning about TSR...
    I love The Sims Resource. I have used it for quite a bit now. But you have to be very careful with what you download. Even with the safest websites , you can still get viruses from them. It's not the website itself, its just the custom content you get from there. I got some amazing hair and makeup from there, but it made my laptop slow down and it used up all the space. It might have been beacase my laptop isnt made for games like Ts4. Anyone know why that happened with the cc...?
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    @Thelovelysimmer328, you might want to also ask this over in the TS4 section as there may be others that might know what happened since you posted this over in the TS3 section... ;)
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-modding-and-custom-content
  • Thelovelysimmer328Thelovelysimmer328 Posts: 3 New Member
    @lisasc360 thank you! I didn't see that
  • CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited May 2017
    @Thelovelysimmer328 and @ everyone who worries about TSR :
    You can get viruses from The Sims Resource if you don't have a good ad blocker. Whatever TSR tells you, and no matter how much time your downloads take there, never download anything there without an ad blocker. It will block viruses, because viruses are hidden in ads there, and not in TSR's site itself. As long as you always have an ad blocker active, TSR is pretty safe to use. I wouldn't say the same about some sites such as MediaFire and AdFly, which redirect to malware and are always dangerous even with an ad blocker.
    In general, it's unsafe to be on Internet without using an ad blocker. It's true for everyone, whatever the OS, and not only Windows users. For example, Mac users have serious issues with malware known as MacKeeper, and which can be involuntarily downloaded through ads shown on sites such as MediaFire. No matter how tempting it is to download some very cute piece of CC, never compromise security on your computer.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited May 2017
    Technically speaking, MacKeeper isn't malware. It's a legitimate product (whether it's a quality product or not is a different matter) with really shady marketing practices. Or that somehow allows third parties to carry out these practices. The vast majority of Mac users don't want or need it, but it keeps getting shoved in our faces whenever we visit sites that detect our operating system before deciding what kind of clickware to put in front of us. We demand more variety when it comes to shady practices! (grabs a protest sign) :p

The issue with sites like TSR is not that the CC is malware. Some if it could be high quality, some low quality, some could even disrupt or ruin a game, but only the game for which it was made if it's "bad CC" and that can happen with offerings from anywhere. But the CC itself is not malware, it doesn't affect anyone's computer outside of the game. The problem is with the in our faces minefields of ads that sometimes look like they might be the legitimate intended downloads that we have to go through to get to the content we really wanted. Even someone who recognizes all of the adware for what it is can accidentally click on something unwanted as we drag the mouse across the screen and, on Windows especially, often that's all it takes to have without meaning to agreed to the download and install of something unwanted. My favorites, although they aren't as prevalent as they used to be, are the ones that display pop-up windows where the "X" close window widget on Windows is fake and has really been reprogrammed for that window to mean "Yes, I agree to this installation." :angry:

Hence the popularity of ad blockers, though not all sites that want/need their ads to be seen in order to generate operating revenue continue to allow them.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • MazakeenMazakeen Posts: 440 Member
    Oh, my. This thread must be nailed to the wall with a strong seam. (aka. bump)
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
  • XxStarrMelodyxXXxStarrMelodyxX Posts: 1 New Member
    Just and FYI.. If you have an ad-blocker on TSR you wait an extra minute for it as apposed to 10 seconds.. I haven't had a problem with it but as long as you have a good malware app then you should be fine.. I use Malwarebytes and it finds even the most hidden malware on my system..
  • dogdancerdogdancer Posts: 447 Member
    Has anyone who use Sims resource come across cloudfront.net when downloading a file from them?

I have. Whenever I download something for them it always says that I'm downloading from cloudfront.net.
  • TuttyGamer8TuttyGamer8 Posts: 51 Member
    Thank you!
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,274 Member
    dogdancer wrote: »

I have. Whenever I download something for them it always says that I'm downloading from cloudfront.net.

That's because the files are stored on a CloudFront server. It's a service owned by Amazon, and should be safe. :smile:

cUrfGkA.gif
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited June 2018
    Candyd wrote: »
    @Thelovelysimmer328 and @ everyone who worries about TSR :
    You can get viruses from The Sims Resource if you don't have a good ad blocker. Whatever TSR tells you, and no matter how much time your downloads take there, never download anything there without an ad blocker. It will block viruses, because viruses are hidden in ads there, and not in TSR's site itself. As long as you always have an ad blocker active, TSR is pretty safe to use. I wouldn't say the same about some sites such as MediaFire and AdFly, which redirect to malware and are always dangerous even with an ad blocker.
    In general, it's unsafe to be on Internet without using an ad blocker. It's true for everyone, whatever the OS, and not only Windows users. For example, Mac users have serious issues with malware known as MacKeeper, and which can be involuntarily downloaded through ads shown on sites such as MediaFire. No matter how tempting it is to download some very cute piece of CC, never compromise security on your computer.

I have an ad blocker, and a very good anti-virus program. When I downloaded some hairs a couple of years ago from TSR, I never even saw an ad, much less clicked on one. But I got a virus anyway. It erased the data from the index file for all of my store and custom content on Friday the 13th, which was, thankfully, only two days later. So I didn't lose much when I deleted every file that had been modified since installing the CC from TSR.

My content was all still there, but none of it showed up in my game. So I had to removed my Sims 3 folder, let the game generate a new one, and reinstall everything. I just downloaded more hairs from TSR a few days ago, because I am so tired of the limited selection of decent looking ones. So this time I renamed my Sims 3 folder, copied my backup Sims 3 folder into my Electronic Arts folder, and installed the hairs in that one. Then I made sims using all of the hairs I downloaded and placed them in an empty world. I'm going to cycle through all the households and watch for any kind of glitching, which I also had with those hairs from the other time, and then see what happens on Friday the 13th, which will happen this very month.

And by the way, I checked them all with custard the other time, and it didn't find anything wrong. I tried to check these new ones before installing them, but I forgot how to use it, so I'm going to have to look up the instructions again.
    Post edited by IreneSwift on
  • soehbsoehb Posts: 9 New Member
    > @Thelovelysimmer328 said:
    > Just a warning about TSR...
    > I love The Sims Resource. I have used it for quite a bit now. But you have to be very careful with what you download. Even with the safest websites , you can still get viruses from them. It's not the website itself, its just the custom content you get from there. I got some amazing hair and makeup from there, but it made my laptop slow down and it used up all the space. It might have been beacase my laptop isnt made for games like Ts4. Anyone know why that happened with the cc...?

My laptop kept freezing after I downloaded things from TSR. MTS (Mod The Sims) Is much safer.
  • LunBeautyLunBeauty Posts: 2,734 Member
    I've never had much problems with TSR. Although, I only really download clothes from there and always convert everything to packages, then scan everything to make sure there's no conflicts or corrupt files.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited June 2018
    TSR apparently used to put trackers in their files back in the early days, so they could make sure that no one was "stealing" their paid content, and if they did, then they'd know who it was who reuploaded it for free.
    The ads on that site can be malicious, I wouldn't visit there without virus protection and / or Malware protection.

This question about safe CC sites pops up often, whether it be a necro thread like this one, or new ones. Maybe we should put together a list and ask Mage to sticky it.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    @Pary, I wish threads like this would be stickied, since some are interested in CC and frankly don't want to run the risk of running the gauntlet as far as sites infested with malware.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • cocococo Posts: 2,722 Member
    edited June 2018
    I don't think there's any "truly safe" cc websites since most of the time you have to trawl though clickbait and malicious ads to get to the download page, and even then there's still a chance of downloading content with hidden cc attached.

What we should be stickying is links to programs that can scan files to make sure they're not bad and guides to installing things properly.

Delphy's Custard and Tutorial for analysing Sims3Packs.
    Delphy's Dashboard and Tutorial for finding corrupt cc.
    Delphy's Multi Extracter and Tutorial for converting Sims3Packs to Packages.
    Good tools and what they do.
    How to get rid of unwanted custom content.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I might put together a list of sites from this post and a couple of others, as well as put @coco 's list of tools and safe cc browsing. Is it all right @coco if I borrow your links from that post? I'll PM Mage and ask if she will sticky it if we make one. Then we can refer people to one single thread, instead of scattered threads.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • cocococo Posts: 2,722 Member
    @Pary Sure, go for it :smile:
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top