Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4's Underrated Features.

Comments

• Options
    Katnip264Katnip264 Posts: 68 Member
    I caught up on this thread during lunch, at work, and ohmygoodness, I had no idea about a lot of these features! (I'm just geting back into it after a time away). For example--I had no idea about the autosolve feature. I must have been living under a rock, to not know that. lol

I do love the multi-tasking, and also that toddlers can be left alone for a bit and occupy themselves in a lot of ways. It frees up a lot of time for my other sims, since they don't have to be hovering and interacting with the toddlers all the time.

For me, in Sims, building has always been a challenge. I'm just not good at designing a house and making it look right. I feel like Sims 4 still lets me build a nice looking house though and I don't feel so bad about my lack of building abilities. :smile: (Oh, and the moving a wall thing so the entire room moves with it? AMAZING! :smiley: )
    Simmer since the beginning. Anxiously awaiting Seasons. On Origin--> kitkatcny Happy Simming! B)
  • Options
    Flexono1Flexono1 Posts: 326 Member
    I would have to say, being able to pick up the entire house and move it about on the lot. Super useful for when you want to build huge extensions
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    I did think of something else don't know if I managed to miss it but here it is again if I did.
    42782212842_32f98f7460_b.jpg
    This house is among one of the first I shared on the gallery, I did it after I was able to expand on sims 4 because I had a slightly better computer than I started out with. The save, the sims as far as I saw everything is gone the original couple might be buried in my gallery. These pics are gone as they were on photobucket and the computer was lost totally died it was a used one though so I was waiting for it. Anyways When I first saved this house I forgot to put the photos away I love how it kept everything even an old sculpture in fact I remember it wasn't a very happy family. This was after we first got get to work so he was a doctor I had another sim that was a business woman who owned several shops but he was my first doctor. He had four kids with his wife and cheated on her with one of his insane coworkers. Ah memories, it's nice to be able to save every thing within the house and move them through the gallery and into a new save. It doesn't say who did what but that's okay.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    BrexoxoBrexoxo Posts: 228 Member
    I love how when sims get pregnant, they don't change into those ugly maternity outfits like they did in the Sims 3.
  • Options
    LouciferLoucifer Posts: 199 Member
    edited June 2018
    Loading times are the biggest for me waiting for S3 to load really upset me, love that you can design the entire Sim down to the tiniest detail in the CAS and being able to choose walk style :) Aliens available in CAS! just miss being able to steal their car hehe And build mode OMG love it so much easier to create with room tool and the self fitting stairs hated S3 stairs would not work if you had basement and foundation on home with out special tricks. And teens can be created in Cas without adult needed to save and play Family. Fireplaces with out attached chimneys u don't have it going threw the bedroom upstairs or whatever
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny
    Thomas Jefferson (3rd US President)
  • Options
    orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    I'm a family player myself and I can totally relate to your thoughts and feelings concerning my Sims' needs. In The Sims 2 especially, caring for toddlers, while also trying to get closer to a promotion at work and trying to take part in various social activities, became too much to handle in multiple occasions. And there were many times when I felt underwhelmed and somewhat annoyed with the needs bar. I feel very differently when it comes to The Sims 4. As you said, I can enjoy many aspects of the game without focusing on their needs for a long period of time.

Other underestimated features that I honestly think they deserve more love:
    - We can make Aliens in CAS
    - Pregnancy: not different stages, but a gradual growth of the baby bump (and no maternity clothes, the FREEDOM!!!)
    - In Build Mode, expanding rooms or walls with just a quick dragging (and everything in the room goes along!)
    - Various recipes of food and more details in graphics when it comes to them
    - Traveling from world to world
    - All Sims can live in all worlds (you don't have to save them and stuff)
    - Favorite Households (the ability to exclude your Sims from the culling system)
    - Toddlers! (Far better than any other generation of The Sims)
    - The Emotion System makes the Sims look more realistic (the ones in TS3 looked like robots to me, sorry)
    - Switching between Aspirations without losing progress in any of them (a VERY useful feature)

All in all, I know that The Sims 4 has got various faults and I alternate between playing TS2, TS3 and TS4, but I love The Sims 4 for the good graphics and some options that we didn't have in the past. I can connect to my TS4 Sims more than what I felt for my TS3 ones. I'm very optimistic for the upcoming EP and I really liked the Cats and Dogs EP. (Yes, I love TS2 gameplay so much, too, no doubt there.) :D

@gothprincess4ever Toddlers are much better in this version than previous versions. I don't want to rush them off to childhood anymore. Speaking of children, I'm also a fan of the fact that children can play instruments again. That being said, I would enjoy more instruments in game, but all in due time.

The only instrument kids can't play is guitar -- I wouldn't mind a child-sized guitar in the game.

Sometimes I don't understand the players who say children are "boring" and "have nothing to do". They can play instruments, they can play on the playground equipment (looking forward to swings in Seasons!), they've got the art table and the chemistry set, etc. You don't even have to put all that stuff on the home lot -- I built an Arts & Science Center in Newcrest (on that 50x40 lot) and it has all the skillbuilding items, a small library and computer center, a fully built rocket ship and a toddler/child play center. I can take my family there and while the children entertain themselves, my Sim can go into space, use the telescope or microscope, play chess or just look at the paintings.

Is this lot on the gallery?
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    1. Something I really love is that you can manage townies easily. My S3 worked fine fully loaded with all the games and the store, because I didn't have cc or mods. What it didn't have that S4 does is the ability to manipulate a townie or more instead of having to befriend them and adding them to your house. Hoping that you saw them again or having to call them over to befriend just so you wouldn't lose them and could have your sim marry them. In S4, not only can I copy the townie sims, but I can put them in any house I want and easily make their houses look any way I want. That is one of the big things for me.
    2. probably the best is WIPING ALL ACCESSORIES OF A SIM IN CAS WITHOUT HAVING TO FIND & DO THEM ALL SEPERATELY. <3
    3. The child/pet adoption systems showing all traits ect.
    4. Ability in build to put several rooms on a plot of land, so that if I want to use the premade rooms, I can.
    5. Ease of saving and getting in and out of the game & CAS. There are times when I don't have much time and I will play a little bit because I know I can get in and out of the game easily. Also, at times getting out of S3 CAS was a nightmare.
    6. With Seasons, we are getting Father Christmas. <3
    7. The yard sale tables, the city findables, and running our own stores.

I'm sure there are others, but these are some that help my playing style or are very helpful to me. :)
  • Options
    ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    davina1221 wrote: »
    1. Something I really love is that you can manage townies easily. My S3 worked fine fully loaded with all the games and the store, because I didn't have cc or mods. What it didn't have that S4 does is the ability to manipulate a townie or more instead of having to befriend them and adding them to your house. Hoping that you saw them again or having to call them over to befriend just so you wouldn't lose them and could have your sim marry them. In S4, not only can I copy the townie sims, but I can put them in any house I want and easily make their houses look any way I want. That is one of the big things for me.
    2. probably the best is WIPING ALL ACCESSORIES OF A SIM IN CAS WITHOUT HAVING TO FIND & DO THEM ALL SEPERATELY. <3
    3. The child/pet adoption systems showing all traits ect.
    4. Ability in build to put several rooms on a plot of land, so that if I want to use the premade rooms, I can.
    5. Ease of saving and getting in and out of the game & CAS. There are times when I don't have much time and I will play a little bit because I know I can get in and out of the game easily. Also, at times getting out of S3 CAS was a nightmare.
    6. With Seasons, we are getting Father Christmas. <3
    7. The yard sale tables, the city findables, and running our own stores.

I'm sure there are others, but these are some that help my playing style or are very helpful to me. :)

@davina1221 I hadn't even thought of wiping all the accessories without doing them separately, but you are absolutely correct! I used to spend so much time in CAS in TS3 just trying to get the right look, and having to jump back and forth between menus; its was tedious. TS4 is much more intuitive and simpler. The devs did a great job with that feature!

Also agree with you on the adoption system. I no longer have to hope the pet or child I'm adopting will fit in with my family!
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • Options
    korsetkorset Posts: 398 Member
    i love the cooking aspect but i dont understand why in order to raise another you feel the need to bring in past iterations.
  • Options
    ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    @korset I was only trying to point out how the games have grown in depth over time, and become better (imo) with each successive version.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    TS4 has by far the best customization of all iterations. I know some people miss the color wheel, but it always took me forever to coordinate outfits so I prefer the pre-set patterns by far. Most of them are cute, and I can accurately make a Sim that looks like and dresses like me.
  • Options
    bjk607bjk607 Posts: 168 Member
    I think seasons would be so much better with our color wheel in it. I think the sims 4 would totally be much better if there were not so much bullying going on, on the sims 4 site. The bullying is day in and day out it needs to stop please help us :( Other then that I'm excited about seasons can't wait to get it :) I wish we can gift our friends in other countries but they took that away from us to. Please give us back our gifting friend in other countries back.
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    bjk607 wrote: »
    I think seasons would be so much better with our color wheel in it. I think the sims 4 would totally be much better if there were not so much bullying going on, on the sims 4 site. The bullying is day in and day out it needs to stop please help us :( Other then that I'm excited about seasons can't wait to get it :) I wish we can gift our friends in other countries but they took that away from us to. Please give us back our gifting friend in other countries back.

I haven't seen any bullying going on in the forums here lately. If someone is singling you out/bullying you, that's what the report flag is for. On the other hand, if they are simply complaining about the features of the game (or lack thereof), please don't take it personally, they are simply venting. If one person vents about the game and others chime in to defend the game, they are expressing their opinions on the game - please don't take it personally. Not everybody can agree on everything, but we all can be civil and show some common courtesy.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    Romance bar separate from the friendship bar
  • Options
    @SimsILikeSims it's not me that is being bullied and it's not happening on the forums, you misunderstood. We were told to report them here on the forums which we had done. As far as the bullying goes it is happening in the Sims 4 game on peoples profiles. No it has nothing to do with the game. I just don't know what to tell my friends.
  • Options
    @SimsILikeSims it's not me that is being bullied and it's not happening on the forums, you misunderstood. We were told to report them here on the forums which we had done. As far as the bullying goes it is happening in the Sims 4 game on peoples profiles. No it has nothing to do with the game. I just don't know what to tell my friends.

That's awful that people waste their life putting other people down instead of promoting themselves. They are shooting themselves in the foot when they waste their profile on putting other people down instead of promoting what they can actually do. The whole idea that you have to put others down to feel better about yourself is just foolishness and immaturity. I believe there is probably a way to report profiles if they are slandering someone or making false accusations.

I do know that some creators put the #StopStealing in their profile because they believe someone else "borrowed" their content without their permission and shared it without modification claiming it as their own. However, it is possible for two Simmers to come up with the same idea without knowing about the others' idea. Blaming and shaming, even to keep control of one's own content, never works well. It only turns people off viewing the original profile or creations - who needs that drama? I for one would rather not hear the whole backstory soap opera. Besides, there is a reason EA added the "Original by..." to all Gallery content that was re-uploaded, or modified then re-uploaded. Truly great content creators simply just keep putting out the excellent quality content, and their work speaks for itself, and word spreads by word of mouth. They don't waste their time and energy trying to play whack-a-mole to call out all the wannabes who copy their content. Other content creators pull their content when they hear it has been copied. That is their right, but it impoverishes the community, and doesn't improve their reputation as a creator of excellent quality. In the end, if they pull their creations, all that remains available is the copies, and those who join the community later never even hear about the originals.

Just my 2 cents.

I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    @SimsILikeSims I 100% agree with you completely they are foolish because they have nothing else better to do. It is childish and I wish we can report the profiles. As far as using the hashtags such as #stopstealing yes they use it all the time. My sister had one of her builds up one time...someone downloaded some how changed her name and replaced it with theirs and then uploaded it, Now isn't that considered stealing?
  • Options
    @SimsILikeSims I 100% agree with you completely they are foolish because they have nothing else better to do. It is childish and I wish we can report the profiles. As far as using the hashtags such as #stopstealing yes they use it all the time. My sister had one of her builds up one time...someone downloaded some how changed her name and replaced it with theirs and then uploaded it, Now isn't that considered stealing?

That would be exactly what the #stopstealing refers to. I have no idea how they changed her name to replace it with theirs, without it getting flagged as original by...your sister. Unless it was before that gallery feature was activated. But she shouldn't let a few incidents like that discourage her from sharing her builds - the better the build, the more people will want to copy it. But the more builds on a player's profile, the more chances that they are the original builder....or are stealing from multiple players. If the latter, eventually karma will come back to bite them, because word WILL get around once they copy a builder that is well-known and widely followed...it will be obvious that "their" work isn't theirs.

Now, I have uploaded one lot that was originally someone elses', but I added a basement to it, and objects from the Vampires pack that weren't in the original build. When I look at that lot under my origin id, it does say under the uploaders name (my origin id), Original by... and the original content creator's name. If someone found a way to bypass THAT, they really should be doing something better with their time,.... like making game mods (not just custom content, actual game mods, which require some programming knowledge to create). When you upload your own creations to the gallery, the uploaders name is on top. When you reupload something (since last year), it lists the uploader at the top, but under that, Original by...and the original creators name. I also did the same with a Maxis lot after adding the rock climbing wall to one of their gyms that was originally base game only.

Another option to establish yourself as a builder is to upload your original builds to a fan site like the Sims Resource or Mod the Sims, if it contains no custom content. To be honest, I don't have the talent or time to make complicated fancy builds, but if I did, and I didn't want others copying my content and falsely claiming it as their own, I would not only upload it to the gallery, but also upload it to TSR or MTS. With the current amount of time and skill I currently have, I really don't care if other people download my builds and recolor the wallpaper or floors or change the furniture around and reupload it - for me it is just a casual hobby, not a career, and I'll eventually just make more. I work best when copying houses or apartments I have actually been in, or occasionally if fixing stuff uploaded to the gallery that literally looks half-built (so if you upload a house that is literally nothing but 4 walls, a door, a window, and a roof, or no roof, I'll probably download, modify, and reupload it - eventually (I work full-time so don't have as much time to play as I'd like)).

• Options
    @SimsILikeSims you know I like talking to you and everything you said actually does make a lot of sense though. You are right if they have that skill to change the names like that they need to go into programing or code. Ok I do see your point because I read everything to my sister and she agrees as well. So...…..anyways are u on origin? because I'd like to add u.
  • Options
    @SimsILikeSims you know I like talking to you and everything you said actually does make a lot of sense though. You are right if they have that skill to change the names like that they need to go into programing or code. Ok I do see your point because I read everything to my sister and she agrees as well. So...…..anyways are u on origin? because I'd like to add u.

Yes, I'm on origin. Userid =userafw. (Dead end strip mall is the one I modified, for anyone who is wondering.)

• Options
    @SimsILikeSims ok sweet I will see if I can find u im bella1963
  • Options
    @SimsILikeSims sent it
  • Options
    iliekponieziliekponiez Posts: 455 Member
    I love that parenthood gave sims the ability to burp and fart at will. So silly! XD
  • Options
    I love that parenthood gave sims the ability to burp and fart at will. So silly! XD

Burp and fart jokes are....low humor. High comedy requires more cleverness.

• Options
    SimmzSimmz Posts: 72 Member
    edited June 2018
    • I love that we can adopt two (or more?) pets at the same time.
    • Sims feel the effects of caffeine longer and their mood doesn't drastically change after it wears off.
    • That park in San Myshuno and the Von Haunt Estate. I'm still impressed by the amount of detail and the landscaping on those two lots! <3
    • Being able to choose what powers our vampires have and having them actually turn into a bat for a split second.