Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How is the Sims 4 going for everyone (Performance wise)

With the addition of more packs and such I figured at this point was a relatively interesting time to ask.
So far my sims are still generation 1 but with lots of customs and 8GB cc, consistent cache clearing and all packs released so far.

The performance in my game hasn't seemed to have taken any particular hit but in the first place I also don't have the best build in the world for example.

How are people's builds vs how many packs and cc they have with their performance?
Are people able to achieve stable 60FPS max graphics with lots of packs at the moment?

Does more time spent in game bloat it horribly?
That sort of thing, just want to get a general idea of people's experiences at this point with the game and its performance.

Also if anyone has any direct information on the games performance pertaining to if the game is directly at fault for some issues that is always insightful.

I'm just curious since If I upgrade my build I want to know in general what I am looking out for and such, with seasons coming out very soon too its likely things may change.
That and some have reported performance problems with decent builds that others don't experience.

Also if anyone can clarify does this game horribly bloat over time or not? I've seen some claim it does and others that it doesn't. I'd assume it doesn't but since I'm gen 1 I assume I wouldn't have much experience with this in the long run.
(Not sure if this fits better under general since its not a direct technical problem but more of discussion on the games performance overall?)

Comments

• chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    What's your build? I can help you decide if you should upgrade and what you should upgrade.
    I have not played the game in ages so i can't comment on my particular performance however it's never been a solid 60fps (my specs are in my signature)
    For the most part ts4 has troubles keeping a steady frame rate and the game does like to take advantage of your cpu (in some instances completely max it)

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    edited June 2018
    I have 16 GB of RAM, an i7 Kaby Lake, and a GTX 1070 (although this is a laptop). For packs, I have everything except Vampires and MFP. It still loads and runs well at 75 FPS, although it helps that I'm above the recommended specs.

(Also, just for comparison, TS3 runs well too with all EPs, but it still crashes more often than TS4. Heck, even TS2 crashes more often than TS4 because it's old software)

As for bloat, I'm not sure. The furthest I've gone in my game is 3 generations, and that save still runs decently.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    I’m one of those people who have a bum pc but continues to play the game anyway bc I’m poor/stubborn :D:D
  • AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    11gb of cc, ultra, 7 generations in, still smooth as butter. I will be switching saves for Seasons because I rather have a clean slate of any bloat, but my game is running great.

For reference, I have the i7 6700k, 16gb of ram and a 1070.
    hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    @x_Always_Heart_x Me too. My computer probably doesn't meet requirements, but it runs nicely. I have way too many saves, and a little cc. I have 3 EPs and somehow the game seemed to get faster when I got GT. I've never played for more than 2 or 3 gens.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I'm not technically sound but my loading screens last 10-12 seconds. Is that any good?
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Running well so far, but then I've a relatively new high end Dell on Windows 10. Same machine is also running TS2 ultimate collection with no issues. TS3 looks and runs like a 3-legged mule. Although I have several saves in line, all are in first generation. All packs are installed other than Toddler, Fitness, and First pet, and I don't have either mods or CC.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited June 2018
    Actually, in recent months I have noticed less and less of the stutter that plagued San Myshuno especially. I've been experiencing smoother gameplay lately.

Specs: i7 6700K, GTX 1080, 16 GB RAM

I also have a second system with an i5, a rx480, and 8 GB of RAM that performs just as well.
    Post edited by So_Money on
  • Dallasking2018Dallasking2018 Posts: 73 Member
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
    System Model: MS-7A38
    BIOS: 1.70 (type: UEFI)
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Quad-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8144MB RAM

no issues for me with my cyberpower pc
  • SimlishPopstarSimlishPopstar Posts: 204 Member
    Thanks everyone for mentions of their experience!

@chesterbigbird I think I'm at a point where I'm best off buying a completely new build rather than updating/upgrading but if you have advice for completely new that's very welcome too! It hasn't happened to me as of late but when it first released I noticed the CPU thing a fair bit!
    If you want to know my build however I can post the details, but I'm pretty sure my build is very outdated at this point in time, it definitely can't handle most modern games.

@icmnfrsh Thank you for that, I've only ever been generation 1 in sims 4 I had so many save restarts so I had more concerns since seasons is arriving and now is when I plan on actually continuing beyond. I've had a save which I've kept for over a year at least still gen 1 which seems to run fine assuming actual game time would effect it.

@Amiutza Thanks for information on computer! Relieve to know its running well!

@So_Money I thought I was delusional a while back but I believed I experienced this very thing, so I would assume they did drop an update to help with it which is nice to know!

• icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    You also have to keep in mind that the game regularly prunes sims and relationships, so bloating might be minimized
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • a_niles06a_niles06 Posts: 3,019 Member
    So far so good. As much as I thought I’d hate the loading screens/miss the open world in the beginning, it is SO refreshing to not have to worry about whether or not my PC will be able to handle another pack added in. Loading screens may be taking a little longer at times but I tend to play large lots with large families so that may be contributing to that. Sometimes they don’t seem to take long at all. Even if they are a bit longer, it’s nothing that’s bothered me to this point.
    ezgif_com_resize.gif

• CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited June 2018
    With a GTX 970, 8 GB RAM, and an i7 4770, all content except toddler stuff and MFP, <2.5gb of CC.. I run the game smoothly most of the time.

Sometimes I get stuttering, sometimes I get frozen sims, and speed 3 works very inconsistently most of the time. I'm unsure if these are problems from my end or from the game itself.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I have an approximately 5 year old "gaming" computer. I just bought it under recommendation though as I don't even update my drivers myself.. I hate doing stuff like that. It runs very smoothly and I can run it on Ultra. I sometimes use mods (have some saves I put in mods for specifically) but gave up CC.. not because of performance just because of update headache and changing my mind.. which would leave the townies looking terrible.
    I think the problems I end up having are just game problems like speed 3 doesn't run well unless they are all sleeping. I have problems in San Myshuno but if I don't have my sims live there it doesn't have a lasting impact on my save game over all. I have had problems with a complicated older sim save with more than 150 sims .. it might have hit over 200 even but I ended up deleting it. I felt it was corrupted. It was mostly sim pausing and standing still issues and I guess stuttering kind of. I set my sim limit at 150 now but rarely even hit 80 of my own sims per save... it works well for my normal playstyle.
    egTcBMc.png
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I have two systems now

Desktop with a GTX 1060, an i7-7700k & 16 GB RAM & a laptop with also a GTX 1060, i7-7700HQ & 8GB RAM.

Runs very well on both systems. Yes times 3 speed isn't always perfect, but given that it was for a while, my guess is that the issue is partially back and not so much due to the system as to the optimization of the game itself. But overall, with all packs installed, it's a very smooth experience. If you're looking at buying a new system, I can defintely recommend these specs for TS4 :)
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited June 2018
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    I have two systems now

Desktop with a GTX 1060, an i7-7700k & 16 GB RAM & a laptop with also a GTX 1060, i7-7700HQ & 8GB RAM.

Runs very well on both systems. Yes times 3 speed isn't always perfect, but given that it was for a while, my guess is that the issue is partially back and not so much due to the system as to the optimization of the game itself. But overall, with all packs installed, it's a very smooth experience. If you're looking at buying a new system, I can defintely recommend these specs for TS4 :)

I've got a laptop with your second system specifications too, an HP Omen gaming laptop which could upgrade to 16Gb as only one Ram slot filled. Cost £1295 though from John Lewis. I can see it lasting me for at least 3 years or more and has a two year warranty. (easy to take back and complain if faulty as only 15 mins. walk away)!

I agree with your assessment, though your laptop brand may be different. The game runs beautifully for me on the NVidia optimal settings but has started to take a little longer to load. I've experienced no overheated keyboard yet. Now I have an advised limit of 200 Sims instead of the 80 on my last laptop. I am using that as backup.

PS: last time I was in the store I met an IBM rep. His favourite was the MSI and said they made their own machines onsite and were built like a tank. He then bashed the keyboard!
  • ArtsyBananaArtsyBanana Posts: 339 Member
    I have a GTX 1050Ti, 8 GB RAM and a Core i7-7700. it runs smooth all the time and so far no crashes even though I have all but 4 of the packs in the game.

However, In my older computer I was able to go 20+ Generations of one household and it was still running fine on my old i5 laptop with only a Geforce 940. I did crash a few times until I solved the problem as it was one of my broken mods causing it :D . I have to Say the Sims 4 runs a lot smoother compared to TS3 ever did for me. :(
    See what's up in my gallery: Origin ID: ArtsyBanana
    I have finally finished my Legacy Challenge , these are the Levis (numbered by Generation!)
    https://imgur.com/L3Q6aQZ

• K4siesK4sies Posts: 267 Member
    I have a GTX960, 8 GB RAM (actually 16 but one of the RAM modules broke some months ago) and an intel core i7-4790 with every single expansion, stuff or gamepack installed. The game runs perfectly fine on Ultra with constant 60fps - It does have some trouble with the times 3 speed in the City Living world (It sometimes won't work) but it's not something I have to cry over.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited June 2018
    Simburian wrote: »
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    I have two systems now

I've got a laptop with your second system specifications too, an HP Omen gaming laptop which could upgrade to 16Gb as only one Ram slot filled. Cost £1295 though from John Lewis. I can see it lasting me for at least 3 years or more and has a two year warranty. (easy to take back and complain if faulty as only 15 mins. walk away)!

I agree with your assessment, though your laptop brand may be different. The game runs beautifully for me on the NVidia optimal settings but has started to take a little longer to load. I've experienced no overheated keyboard yet. Now I have an advised limit of 200 Sims instead of the 80 on my last laptop. I am using that as backup.

PS: last time I was in the store I met an IBM rep. His favourite was the MSI and said they made their own machines onsite and were built like a tank. He then bashed the keyboard!

It's actually an Acer laptop. I have personally had good experiences with this brand in the past, even if other people like to dramatize a little when it comes to Acer xD So far my CPU heats up to around 69c while gaming for a few hours and the GPU sits at a gentle 60c. So that seems pretty cool considering the laptop is running on an i7. Keyboard doesn't get hot, only the back area where the cooling happens but it doesn't bother me at all as it's not an area I touch during gaming and even when I do, it's far from unbearable. I will, however, add 8GB RAM down the line and I'll also probably replace the HDD someday, but not sure yet as I've got plenty of space for this game on the SSD and play other or more demanding games on my desktop or PS4 :D
  • Kali_DurgaKali_Durga Posts: 197 Member
    edited June 2018
    How are people's builds vs how many packs and cc they have with their performance?
    8gb i7 radeon r7 m445 i have all packs and a ton of cc, my game runs as smooth as a baby's bum

Are people able to achieve stable 60FPS max graphics with lots of packs at the moment?
    i do!

not at all
  • orangehippogrifforangehippogriff Posts: 946 Member
    My game has been struggling a bit, because although I have an Intel i7, 3.4 GHz processor and 16GB ram, I have only a GTX 770 and it’s really starting to show it’s age. My computer has been crashing and overheating a lot while playing so I think it’s time for an upgrade unfortunately
  • idkemilyidkemily Posts: 49 Member
    I have so much lag and when i want a sim to do something it takes them like 5 seconds (minutes in the game) to register what i want them to do and they just stand there and it wastes time and 🐸🐸🐸🐸 me off
  • SimlishPopstarSimlishPopstar Posts: 204 Member
    Kali_Durga wrote: »
    8gb i7 radeon r7 m445 i have all packs and a ton of cc, my game runs as smooth as a baby's bum

i do!

not at all

Thank you very much for the insight! Its all very helpful!
    Nice to know up to now with every single pack that it is possible to run it well!

• filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I recently got a new computer, but on my old laptop with a GTX860m graphics card on highest settings the game was perfectly playable but sometimes dipped down to around 25 FPS, mainly when bigger lots were loaded up or when a lot of sims were in the area. This is with all packs installed on a save file that I’m pretty sure I have more than 100 active hours on. Sims 3 with 4 EP’s loaded up and very little CC struggled severely in comparison on that older machine.
  • ahoychristieahoychristie Posts: 88 Member
    I use a gaming laptop and own all single stuff/game/expansion packs available.
    Sims 4 runs perrrrrfectly.

Brand: MSI
    Graphics: GEFORCE GTX1050
    Verson: 10.0.17134 Build 17134
    Processor: Intel core i7-7700HQ
    RAM: 16GB

I've literally never had any problems or any kind of lag in the game.
    It runs sooo smoothly. Confident it's going to run seasons just as smoothly too.
    Not even worried with this laptop. I used to have the worst time trying to play sims on old laptops but this one has actually been a dream. Bought it just under a year ago, mainly for the purpose of sims (and a little bit of overwatch, which I play on the highest settings too) and best investment ever :):):)