Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Custom Content not showing up in CAW

So I've finally got CAW working again, after the latest update from Origin. But when I open a world, makes no difference if it is a new world or a previous project, none of my custom content is available.

I've reinstalled it all, but none of it is available... Not even items that came with EA worlds such as Monte Vista.

Anyone got any ideas as to why this might be? Or any solutions?

Comments

• StellaTorontoStellaToronto Posts: 2,123 Member
    If you're running the new 1.69 compatible CAW? You should check game launcher.
    It sometimes resets to vanilla for no apparent reason. :(
    Hope you get it sorted.
    stellatorontosims.tumblr.com
  • thejmobilethejmobile Posts: 20 Member
    yes, running latest sims 3 update from Origin, and the newest CAW... When i install items they say they are installed when i check the launcher, or the installed worlds folder.. but it's still not showing up in CAW.. :-(
    As anyone got any ideas? This is really annoying me now as I can't finish the world I was working on as I need the items that come with Monte Vista but I can't get them to show in my Metadata... I have tried reinstalling both CAW and Sims3 but to no avail. :-(
  • sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    edited February 2016
    @thejmobile It sounds to me like your CAW install is unable to locate your game data correctly.
    All I can think of is to uninstall both the game and CAW, then use a registry cleaner such as CCleaner to remove the registry entries that are left behind after the uninstall. It is these that CAW will use to locate the game data and maybe they are not correct.
    Then install the game and then CAW, I note above you say you've reinstalled both CAW and Sims3 but I think it might be important that you install CAW second.

I have just returned to TS3 myself as I have the 'Go Social' version of the base game and was never able to use EIG until now.
    All I had installed was the base game and CAW, both for version 1.69. I just installed Monte Vista which shows the content installed in the launcher and those objects are now showing in CAW. (I assume you are looking for world objects like the walls, bridge, trees etc which are found in Monte Vista and not the build objects?)
    @sirguylittle Yes, it is the world objects I need.. my walled city looks pretty odd without the walls.. I have un installed and then re-installed, but I didn't try cleaning the registry entries.. I'll give it a go and see if it works. Thanks for the suggestion..
    @sirguylittle It might help if I ask what I need to do with CCCleaner before I start playing around... I've downloaded it, and unistalled Sims 3 and CAW... but having never used CCCleaner I haven't the foggiestt idea what I'm doing next.
    edited February 2016
    @thejmobile It's the Registry fixer option you need, the second icon on the left side.
    Select that and then click Scan for issues. When it has completed the scan you then click Fix selected issues (all of them will be selected by default).
    It will ask if you wish to backup changes, you probably should do this (though I have never had a problem with CCleaner).
    It will then display each issue in turn and ask if you wish to fix it, just click Fix All Selected Issues and then Close the popup.
    Do the Scan again as with the free version it sometimes doesn't fix everything if there are a lot of issues.
    Once it gives you a clean bill of health, you can then re install TS3.

PS. Once CCleaner is installed you can access it by right-clicking the recycle bin (if you chose that option during the install). If you access it this way, choose Open CCleaner... not Run CCleaner as Run CCleaner will run it's Cleaner function automatically. It won't do any harm, this is just it's clean up function to clear things like temporary internet and system files, but not necessary for your needs at this time.
    @sirguylittle Thank you for the suggestion, but it didn't work :( at least not where CAW is involved, although it has helped with a few other issues I was having with my computer so thank you for that.

I un-installed Sims3 & CAW completely, removed all the folders & files, and then ran CCleaner, and fixed all the problems it discovered. I then re-downloaded both and re-installed, I also re-downloaded Monte Vista from the Store, but it hasn't made any difference, the world objects still aren't showing.

I did notice I appear to have several entries in the Metadata that are just numbers, and don't do anything.. I'm pretty sure they weren't there before the Sims3 update that broke CAW in the first place.

It's a shame, I was really looking forward to having CAW back, but now I'm going to have to scrap the world I was working on and start again I'm not so sure...
    thejmobile wrote: »
    I did notice I appear to have several entries in the Metadata that are just numbers, and don't do anything.. I'm pretty sure they weren't there before the Sims3 update that broke CAW in the first place.

I have those too, so I don't think they are a problem.
    This has got me stumped as I am doing almost the same as you.
    The only difference being my install of the base game as I have that on disc, as well as a copy of the 1.67 Superpatch, these would take me too long to download on my connection each time. Other than that, I don't use the default install locations but that shouldn't make a difference.
  • flstriderflstrider Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited February 2016
    @sirguylittle patch 1.67 is the last real working patch for CAW, ever since 1.69 came out there has been all kinds of trouble between CAW and the game especially with the check boxes for the different EP's/SP's that may be another reason for the trouble. I have not seen 1.69 its just what I have read on different forums.
    My World's thread linked in Sig
    NewSig.jpg

It's got me stumped too.. I've tried everything I can think off.. and uninstalled and reinstalled everything.. and still no luck :(
    I discovered yesterday that all the items that are missing from CAW are also missing from the version of the world I already had installed, although they are there if you go to world objects in the game??
  • Deliger1979Deliger1979 Posts: 1 New Member
    Has anyone found a fix for this yet! I spent months doing a world and loads of the custom items have disappeared. Its driving me mad.
    Not that I've seen or heard of... It's really annoying me now as I can't continue to build my world without massively re-doing loads of it. I have noticed that whilst the items don't show at all in CAW, they do show up in game.
  • melusine85melusine85 Posts: 5 New Member
    This is happening to me, too. Everything was fine on my other computer running win7, but this new one is running win10. I tried rewriting the registry.cfg file, adding a packages folder, etc. to no avail. I have uninstalled caw dozens of times. The odd thing is that when I reinstall it, it lists the last worlds opened under recent files; that makes me think that it is not REALLY uninstalled properly, and I don't have any idea how to delete the registry files.
    I'v given up trying to sort it.. I've lost track of the number of times I've uninstalled, re-downloaded and installed again.. but to no avail.. items show up in the game but not in CAW... I had to redo a world I was working on to replace all the items missing..
    Wow, I'd forgotten how long ago it was I started this discussion in the hope of solving this problem.. I'd all but given up hope and resigned myself to the fact it just didn't work.. but I stumbled across a random post on a forum which kick started the hunt for the solution.

And, after some long hours, a lot of googling and lots of time consuming and long winded playing around, I've finally solved it!! At least I've got the items I wanted back.

I can finally rebuild my world as I had originally intended, with the items I wanted to use.
  • Kendra_LongsonKendra_Longson Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi thejmobile, I am having the same issue and I have followed all the steps above. I still can't appear to find an answer on google, I keep trying to narrow my search to get a hit with no luck :(

I don't suppose you could post the link to your solution could you please? Thank you :)
  • Kendra_LongsonKendra_Longson Posts: 2 New Member
    Oh and to add i've followed all of these too:

Sims Wikki info Game Help CAW_Framework

MTS Create A World - Modding objects to show up in CAW Metadata

Sims Wikki Sims 3:0x319E4F1D
  • melusine85melusine85 Posts: 5 New Member
    I would LOVE to know how you fixed it, as I have the same problem.
  • Hippytree13Hippytree13 Posts: 55 Member
    Please tell me how you fixed this... Ive tried evething as well and I can’t get it working at all. Hope you can give us a step by step on how to fix it.

I’m unable to see any of my content in CAW and it’s so frustrating...