Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I cannot remain silent – I have to say this aloud

Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
edited June 2018 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback

I don’t know if I should be looking forward to the Seasons…

I bought my first The Sims game in 2000. I am one of not many players who played all the sequels. From the first volume I owned only the basic game and the first expansion pack. The second Sims I bought completely, it cost me over 10 000 CZK (by the way – that was more than my monthly salary during the years when the game has been published). I have been waiting with the purchase of Sims 3 until 2012, due to a weaker PC. However, I have purchased almost all the additions pretty quickly then. I think I am missing only the Diesel collection, because I think that such advertising things should be available for free. I don’t want to pay for a real, existing company to advertise!!!

Regardless, if I return back to February 2012 when I bought the Sims 3 - it was the basic game plus the Pets expansion pack – I was quite shocked with a real lack of content. How empty it was… But okay, with getting other expansion packs and stuff packs and things from the store it became better.

This February I didn’t resist the temptation and I bought the basic game Sims 4 and the Cats and Dogs. Well, did it seem to me that Sims 3 had poor content? What can be said about the Sims 4? I was quite naïve and I bought all that was available, all the expansions, some of the gamepacks (I only miss two) and many stuff packs. I still have a feeling there is not much content there. I could miss Create a style without any problems, but only with the re-coloring of furniture and clothing making sense. Like it did in volume 2. But do we see in Sims 4!? Seriously? Are they making fun of us? How can anybody publish this? Unbelievably sloppily done!

Agility set for animals – I was so much looking forward to it after seeing the screenshots. Of course I didn’t know that most of the obstacles would have only one color! One color – white. That’s so stupid! It really spoiled my mood.

The hair – why the adults and teenagers have colors, which children cannot have? Why? What is the excuse you have for this?

I do not desire to control the pets, but why I cannot see their age? Or their pedigree? The Sims were supposedly gonna be smarter than ever before. No way. They don’t have any personality, they are not unique at all, it doesn’t matter all what attributes they have…Now The Seasons are about to be released, the trailer looks good, and I am interested in Holidays as well. So I will not stick with my resolution and I will get the expansion for the full price, without waiting for sales. Yet at the same time I am afraid that later I will be mad at myself for supporting such a bad game...

I am thinking it might me smarter to install The Sims 2, when I am in such a mood to play Sims currently. You could create stories there, the game was fun to play. Neighbors stealing garden gnomes or knocking the trashcan over. Social Bunny, penguin, etc. Which funny elements we have now? I am looking forward to ome little changes in the gardening in the Seasons, that the worlds will get a bit of a facelift…

BUT I do not need a whole open world like in the Sims 3, yet I was hoping that the fourth volume would be something in between the three and two, that maybe I would load 3-4 lots and be able to move freely around them. Unfortunately not…so lets see what the changes brings, hopefully the unchangeable surrounding will be better than before..
That’s the reason I will buy it for the full price. But are there gonna be some changes in AI? In the attraction of the various Sims towards each other? In the attributes of the Sims? Nope!
But we can rejoice, because we will get a new carrier! Actually two! Stand-up ovations! I don’t understand why there is so little of something as simple as passive carriers. Why they aren’t a part of every gamepack? Adventure in the nature – a carrier of a service ranger could have been added. Or a minister of Environment. A jungle adventure = would it be such a problem to add a passive carrier of an archeologist?! Really? Just like this, I don’t understand why a vet is not like a doctor, why it is not possible to send him to a passive job sometimes, and go with him the other time. It won’t be that hard, would it…
But what really scares me is the fact that such things are being asked for many years already. And there is no reaction from EA. I am player, I play other games too. If any other newly released game was as poor as the basic Sims 4, it would be box-office failure. And EA only takes advantage on the specificity of the community of The Sims players. Yet at the same time EA is the cause of a lack of interest in the Sims among enthusiastic game players. Why would they be interested? Every other game is fuller, and worked-out better!

Comments

• Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    The problem is that we often end up comparing a relatively new game to a game that had had a lot of expansions and add ons... so yes, it feels empty and boring (I quit Sims 4 after 2 weeks when I bought it, only came back 6 months ago).

I really loved Sims 2, didn't care for Sims 3, but again, if I go back and play now... it's just ugly, even if I liked the gameplay better (attraction, fears/wants etc).

I'm not going to lie though, I like Sims 4 (with packs and EPs', obviously) way more than I liked Sims 3, but I get extremely bored when my kids turn teens, so I'm totally with you that the game is just boring and empty sometimes. But it's also because they've focused on things I just don't care about (apartments, clubs, work at home careers etc are just not something I'm interested in in my normal gameplay). So really, Sims 4 is different, with a lot of new things... I just happen not to like most of the new things very much so far. I don't think that necessarily means that the game is worse.. just that it's not as good for ME.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I think you should go with your smarter idea and reinstall TS2. It may look a little dated but if you're not adverse to using CC you can alleviate that problem. However though, even though I love TS3 I find 2 far more whimsical and fulfilling than any of the others I have played. Go with whichever you think is going to give you the most enjoyment :)
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    I heartily second the TS2 idea! That is my main simming activity simply because it's the best of the 4 versions to date. Never boring, can readily build things I can't in 4, story-telling dream, and way more customizable. It's everything TS4 should have been long ago but still isn't.
  • nolurknolurk Posts: 249 Member
    While it's easy to compare a newer game to an older one when it's first released, you also have to keep in mind that it can take time for new stuff to get added to a newer game.

When Sims3 first came out (just the base game), I'll admit I made that mistake as I missed all the stuff we had in Sims2 and felt there wasn't "enough" on the building/decorating front compared to what I had in Sims2 and initially went back to Sims2 for a while because of it along with the fact that my PC at that time really, really struggled trying to run Sims3 (what's funny is that I remember having to contact EA about something much later on while I still had that PC and their being shocked that I was even able to play the game on that system given the specs I had on it, but I digress). However, I never regretted owning Sims3 even at that time.

However, as more content came to be released for Sims3, I came around and it remains among my favorite games of all time (still have a soft spot for it and Sims2, but I also play Sims4 along with the prior two). I was even willing to put up with the constant issues I had playing on that old PC or even if it meant not being able to play for long when it got hot just so I could play it.

With Sims4, it may seem slow going in having to just wait for some of the features we had in the previous two, but things appear to be changing to an extent in that we are getting some of them back. The trick just seems to be patience in having to wait for them at times.

Regardless, as a simmer, it really depends upon what's most important to you as a player and what interests you most with gameplay as far as which installment to go with.

• LukeLuke Posts: 642 Member
    I agree with a lot of your points.

I think TS4 has missed a lot of opportunities ... just like you, I really wanted something in between Sims 2 and Sims 3 in terms of open world - I wanted an open neighbourhood where multiple lots were loaded at once. However, the Sims 4 has always appealed to the simplest form of gameplay so that the game can be playable across low-tier PC's as well as high-tier PC's. So people with cheaper PC's can still play the game and have fun. I don't agree with it, but I can see why they went in that direction from a business perspective.

As for Seasons ... it is really looking like the FIRST EP that I am actually looking forward to ... I haven't played TS4 in a while, and when I revisit it, there is nothing keeping me there really. But I think that TS4 Seasons may be the first EP that actually does something right. I have been saying for a while that TS4 deserved a solid EP, because there is a lot of potential ... but we shall see, because EA is great at marketing subpar products to make it seem like they are fun and amazing.

Since you bought TS4 all at once, I think that it was a harsher experience compared to someone who bought all the content while it was coming out. Your view right now is based entirely on that bundle of content, all at once. So it seems very bleak, but I assure you that TS4 has come a LOOOOOONG way ... maybe it is not where it is supposed to be, but it has definitely improved. I doubt that the improvements can ever "fix" the downfall of the core game itself, but either way it has improved.

The Sims team is still listening to the community ... so I wouldn't lose all hope just yet.

Origin ID: Derpiez
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Sims 4 is the most bare bones out of all of the games. This is why I still play Sims, Sims 2, and Sims 3. Sadly because of hard drive space I've removed 2 and 3, can't wait until I upgrade so I can have them all back on one machine.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
    co_mam.png

Well, the Sims 4 is not a new game. It is here for over 3 years, and so it is not a comparison of an old and a new game. It is just…when I turned on The Sims 2 for the first time, a huge wow effect happened – there were toddlers, there were teenagers  When I turned on the Sims 3, there was a wow effect as well – wow, an open world! Yes, there were many bugs, but the first impression was positive. What wow effect is there with playing The Sims 4?

I don’t want to only complain. There are things that I really like, for example “Parentning” and “Vampires”. These things are very good from the point of the gameplay. The only thing missing for the Vampires to be perfect is really killing the Sims, and it is a pity that there is no carrier available there.
    Yesterday I have learned about the farming expansion. If the Season expansion is good, I will stay with The Sims 4. If it disappoints me, I will go look for an old CD with a backup of my old saved games and old Sims.

I am sorry that there are so many things really sloppy in the game, for example the hair re-colors. If the game made a huge progress, I am happy that I have waited to buy it. Yes, I appreciate that patches are being released”It is unbelievable for me that they keep fixing the game, that’s a progress!
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    hat you are saying is what other players have been saying for a couple of years now. TS4 is lacking in many areas and even thought some players do like it there is the very big concern that some of the same complaints have been ringing for a few years now

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    co_mam.png

Well, the Sims 4 is not a new game. It is here for over 3 years, and so it is not a comparison of an old and a new game. It is just…when I turned on The Sims 2 for the first time, a huge wow effect happened – there were toddlers, there were teenagers  When I turned on the Sims 3, there was a wow effect as well – wow, an open world! Yes, there were many bugs, but the first impression was positive. What wow effect is there with playing The Sims 4?

I don’t want to only complain. There are things that I really like, for example “Parentning” and “Vampires”. These things are very good from the point of the gameplay. The only thing missing for the Vampires to be perfect is really killing the Sims, and it is a pity that there is no carrier available there.
    Yesterday I have learned about the farming expansion. If the Season expansion is good, I will stay with The Sims 4. If it disappoints me, I will go look for an old CD with a backup of my old saved games and old Sims.

I am sorry that there are so many things really sloppy in the game, for example the hair re-colors. If the game made a huge progress, I am happy that I have waited to buy it. Yes, I appreciate that patches are being released”It is unbelievable for me that they keep fixing the game, that’s a progress!

The wow effect is that Sims 4 was WAY prettier, lol. But man, it was so lacking.

Even now, the only expansion that made me come back was Cats and Dogs, even though it really disappointed me, but there have been enough content since release to keep me busy those 6 months (I don't have vampires and I'm missing 5-6 SPs). Again, I hardly play any of the other two EP features because they don't interest me. But I'm excited for Seasons and hope we get more content that will be more tailored to my play style (I like my Sims having more things to do on their lot, pretty much, and not have to go out to do everything).

I just really wish they had done something for teens by now. So boring.
  • DrearydearyDrearydeary Posts: 85 Member
    OP I 100% agree with you
    I think I a lot of people are taking what you're saying as a lack of content compared to previous games which have all expansions which is not the real issue. I get completely what you're saying, this game is going downhill since will wright left and as a huge sims fan since the sims 1 it's really upsetting to see. I just wanted the game to expand from the sims 1 but now it lacks quirkiness and originality. The sims 4 is bland and lacking, and I'm not just talking about the expansions, I'm talking about the game as a whole, it's just a cash grab now.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2018
    OP I 100% agree with you
    I think I a lot of people are taking what you're saying as a lack of content compared to previous games which have all expansions which is not the real issue. I get completely what you're saying, this game is going downhill since will wright left and as a huge sims fan since the sims 1 it's really upsetting to see. I just wanted the game to expand from the sims 1 but now it lacks quirkiness and originality. The sims 4 is bland and lacking, and I'm not just talking about the expansions, I'm talking about the game as a whole, it's just a cash grab now.

I agree too, how many packs will be enough? However, it is not the content that bothers me, it is the lack of worthwhile features that disappoints me. Just because Sims 4 runs it I am supposed to be wowed with it, No it may have improved but not where I can say shiver me timbers, we got game!
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I agree, you can't really argue about the game having less content at the moment. Even if it's been going on longer the content packs are differently structured. However there are other things that warrant complaining about like price and the actual content per pack.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • LaurenNumberOneLaurenNumberOne Posts: 54 Member
    I also find it boring and I don't like the exaggerated cartoon style as much. I prefer more realistic looking sims with actual differences. I swear all my sims end up looking pretty much the same even though I change their features. I can play Sims 3 for hours, more stuff going on around town, more building and decorating options and interesting behaviors, but Sims 4 gets old fast.
  • meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    The Sims series is dead. Everyone deuced out on the team to make Cyberpunk 2077. LOL
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member
    So I will not stick with my resolution and I will get the expansion for the full price, without waiting for sales. Yet at the same time I am afraid that later I will be mad at myself for supporting such a bad game...

Spare yourself the grief and regret. Reinstall Sims 2. A new expansion pack isn't going to change what you think is wrong with the Sims 4:)

• SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited June 2018
    I never play my game vanilla. Right now, Sims 4 is hardest to play vanilla (ie no mods or custom content) because there is so much potential official content lacking. Sims 1 is next hardest to play vanilla - and I don't play that vanilla either. Hardly anyone who still plays TS1 ever plays it vanilla, but with all the custom content available for it, with that it is an awesome game despite its seriously outdated graphics (its almost 20 years old now...wow). Sims 2 and Sims 3 are about even to me in terms of how fun or not they are to play vanilla.

But once you start adding in mods and custom content: If you need more careers, there are tons of career mods now for Sims 4, and they don't even replace any of the base game careers of Sims 4 (unlike most of the career mods for Sims 2 did). If you need your build mode and buy mode content to match, as opposed to the mismatched patterns of Sims 4 basic game (Sims 4 did the worst job of this of any of the previous games), custom content is your best friend. Tired of the same floors and walls? Tired of the same clothes on every Sim? Tired of the same wall decorations? In all of these, custom content is your friend. It is too bad that the game has become so reliant on its fans to create the content for the game that the game needs, but there are more fans with more spare time and energy to create, than there is budget to pay developers to create the same amount of official content. I think a lot of modders would LOVE the opportunity to join the team at Maxis, even as an intern, if they lived in the area where the official content is created. It is amazing that so many in our community are so generous with their time and efforts, getting only a thank you in many cases for their work, and in other cases, only enough to keep their website running.

If someone wants it in the game, chances are, there's a mod for it. There already is a First Snow mod, that will now be made obsolete by Seasons. There is a Fairy mod, a Mermaid mod, a Sorcerer/Sorceress mod (several different mods involving magic in fact), there are food mods that increase the number of harvestables and recipes to be made with them, there are woodworking mods increasing what can be made with the woodworking bench, and there are painting mods increasing the types of paintings that can be made with the easel. For awhile, there was even an active Go to School high school/grade school career mod, but now that is not being updated. Then there are various mods fixing things that people found an annoyance of one kind or another.

The main problem with mods and custom content is that since they were not made by EA, they are not supported by EA, and they are routinely broken with new patches. But with older games like Sims 2 or Sims 3 that are essentially no longer being updated, that no longer becomes an issue.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • damageincracingdamageincracing Posts: 275 Member
    I still play Sims3 way more than 4. I've been a hardcore Sims nut since the original, but 4 just lacks EVERYTHING to make it enjoyable. I've bought the expansion packs, but even then I only play for a couple hours before I get bored and go back to 3. If (and at this point, that's a BIG if) they do a Sims5, I sure hope they pull their heads out of their posteriors and pay attention to what us players have been saying. I seriously doubt it, but hey, we can dream can't we...
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I'd advise people to not bother with any new mods just yet... my guess is that pretty much all the mods will crash with the big Seasons patch.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    If TS2 is more your thing, install it.

It's really about your enjoyment.

I love all the Sims games, including TS4. I rotate through the games, and I do find myself missing things from the other games in the series when I play each.

That said, TS2 is really special to me as well.
  • cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    edited June 2018
    Its hard to believe that just 4 series in and with the release of Sims 4 we can already define a "golden age" of The Sims. Sims 4 really tore the legacy to shreds...
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    TS4 Cats and Dogs has to be the worst Pets EP ever, to the point rodents were released as a SP instead of updating the EP.

So far TS4 Seasons looks to be actually good imo, well the best EP TS4 currently has but the Base Game still has lots of bugs, problems, inconsistencies and missing content.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    I am starting to see this game as a "honeycomb" starting slowly but sections added all around from time to time and you need to buy everything to have the whole. This game is not an adventure or one person game, those are easier to create but for Sims4 all bits have to be fitted together to work together and that takes time and money.

I think Sims4 is coming into it's own and suits my own way of play.
    Just my opinion
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited June 2018
    Simburian wrote: »
    I am starting to see this game as a "honeycomb" starting slowly but sections added all around from time to time and you need to buy everything to have the whole. This game is not an adventure or one person game, those are easier to create but for Sims4 all bits have to be fitted together to work together and that takes time and money.

Just my opinion

And I ask myself, do people read their own sentences?

What you have stated is clearly EA's money making strategy which they have had for quite some time now. It's just that TS4 has been more aggressively torn down to make even more cash.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    I'd advise people to not bother with any new mods just yet... my guess is that pretty much all the mods will crash with the big Seasons patch.

I don't use very many mods that change the game itself, like careers, traits, things like that. I use MC Commander, and pose player, teleport sims, the basics. Most of my mods are clothes and building stuff. I'd be surprised if my game doesn't break beyond repair.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited June 2018
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »

Just my opinion

And I ask myself, do people read their own sentences?

What you have stated is clearly EA's money making strategy which they have had for quite some time now. It's just that TS4 has been more aggressively torn down to make even more cash.

That's ok with me. It's making my game and its' lifetime longer. Not worried at all.
    Other games cost double at the start and have new iterations every other year. Just the same.

PS: I have wasted hundred of pounds on so called superior games that only hold my interest for a short time so EA can take my money for a game that has interested me for many years now. The Sims in 2001 on.
    Post edited by Simburian on