Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mac Windowed Mode Problem

First of all, I know it has a windowed mode.

The problem is that whenever I put it into windowed mode, the screen is too large (tall, vertical wise), so I can't see my Sims needs, or the fast forward buttons, the options button, or the check marks for the options. I've tried changing the resolution to the smallest resolution possible (640x480 from 1280x800) to no avail. It just shrinks wide-wise. Anyway to get it so it fits my newest generation macbook, 1280x800 display, in windowed mode, perfectly?

Sorry if this has been asked before. The one I saw on google said I wasn't allowed to view it. /:

Comments

• CheckerPjsCheckerPjs Posts: 1,666 New Member
    edited July 2009
    That freaky... how did you go to windowed mode because I just hold `command` plus `return` in the game as it loads and it works just fine, like I can see everything just fine.
  • CheckerPjsCheckerPjs Posts: 1,666 New Member
    edited July 2009
    by the way my screen size is 1024 x 768 (4:3)
  • inuzukaredinuzukared Posts: 6 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I hit Command + Return as well. ): Maybe I have to do it while it's loading?

That's a negative. Still weird.
  • ScraverXScraverX Posts: 762 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Mine does this too, but I hardly use windowed mode so I don't really care.
  • inuzukaredinuzukared Posts: 6 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Sigh. Anyone else?
  • CorgwnArmadaCorgwnArmada Posts: 460 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Double check what you have on your Mac system preferences and make sure there is nothing funky going on in there... like maybe having something 'non standard' for your monitor might be confusing it.

Make sure your screen resolution setting in Sims 3 is smaller (in both directions) than the screen resolution setting in your OS. Sounds like you may have your Sims setting a little larger than what your system preferences are for your computer.

Personally I don't like windows mode for anything OTHER than CAS. (when I'm comparing a sim to a photo)

If I switch in play mode (even paused) any movement of the mouse causes MAJOR drift and it's annoying to have to find where I was when I go back.
  • morsmordremorsmordre Posts: 990 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I have a 1280x800 MacBook. What I do is..

-hide the Dock (you can do this by clicking on the apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen and going to Dock, then turn Hiding On
    - change resolution in the game to 1024x768 or 800x600
    - COMMAND+ENTER

It works for me :) also, if you don't have Edge Scrolling on, just hold down COMMAND in the game then hold down your mouse key and drag it to where you want to go.
  • heynatiheynati Posts: 11 New Member
    hey guys so im having issues GETTING to windowed mode, and i dont have any clue what happened because I used to be able to change this from exit > graphics > windowed but now i simply cannot... I tried changing resolutions but 800x600 isnt available, whats a good mixture of resolutions both mac system wise and game wise in order to run the windowed version?? BTW I never used the command return but tried it and didnt work

i get an error saying
    Unable to save display mode settings, changes will be reverted to previous settings.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    heynati wrote: »
    hey guys so im having issues GETTING to windowed mode, and i dont have any clue what happened because I used to be able to change this from exit > graphics > windowed but now i simply cannot... I tried changing resolutions but 800x600 isnt available, whats a good mixture of resolutions both mac system wise and game wise in order to run the windowed version?? BTW I never used the command return but tried it and didnt work

i get an error saying
    Unable to save display mode settings, changes will be reverted to previous settings.
    Hi there. For future reference, it would be better to find a more recent thread than one from 9 years ago to use while you are still a New Member.

There is no one or one set of resolutions that will work properly for everyone. It really depends on the size and proportions of your screen and its native resolution. But if you can't get the effect you want in-game in windowed mode (or get it to work at all), have you tried all different combinations of desktop resolutions first under System Preferences > Display? I run mine at 1600x900 but I have a 21.5" iMac, the one designated as default makes things way too small for me (outside of the game, I mean) but the one I use may not make sense for a different model or younger sets of eyes. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    Hello! sorry and thank you! well im not really all that techy but do you mean like for example, and bear with me please i tend to be very confusing when i try to be specific
    1) run sims in 1024x768 with Built in Retina Display set to More Space (looks like 1680x1050) and try windowed,
    if not working then
    2) run sims in same 1024x768 and try retina display set to 1440x900,
    then 1280x800
    then 1024x640 (all combos in retina with same sims 1024x768)

and if none of those work in windowed then switch the sims game resolution and do all combos of that with retinas and so forth???
    thanks so much,
    by the way
    my about this mac just states MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)
    then processor, memory, startup disks, graphics, serial number.

Built-in Display
    13.3-inch (2560 x 1600)
    Intel Iris 1536 MB
    update: in sims game, its currently set to fullscreen and 1024xwhen i choose from the dropdown menu on fullscreen the only available resolution is 1024x768, and in windowed fullscreen its the same but greyed out

this changes if i switch the resolution on fullscreen
    > @heynati said:
    > update: in sims game, its currently set to fullscreen and 1024x768, when i choose from the dropdown menu on fullscreen the only available resolution is 1024x768, and in windowed fullscreen its the same but greyed out
    >
    > this changes if i switch the resolution on fullscreen to anything else like 1152x720 and then trying windowed fullscreen or windowed are 1152x720 and greyed out in windowed fullscreen , in either way doing all combos isnt working :cry:
    also ran through having mac settings to a specific resolution, and changing resolutions in sims followed by "fullscreen" in bar in game, this shows me the actual little bar as all windows do exit minimize and maximize, but i cannot click it and it goes back to fullscreen immediately
    Sorry, but I'm having a really difficult time following this for some reason and I don't typically play sims on a laptop. Others here do, perhaps @puzzlezaddict can understand what you are describing a bit better.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @heynati I just did a bit of testing on my laptop; for reference, I'm on a macbook pro with a 2880 x 1800 native resolution. (I also have a dedicated graphics card, which could conceivably influence this.) I've never changed the resolution of my laptop screen itself, as the defualt display works just fine for me. I don't think you need to either, unless you have issues with reading your screen that are not game-related.

While in-game, in both fullscreen and windowed mode, I could change the resolution of TS3 to whatever I wanted. However, I couldn't change the size of the game window while in windowed mode; it changed itself to conform with the aspect ratio (the smaller numbers in parentheses) I'd chosen. For example, when I went from a 16:10 ratio to a 4:3, the TS3 window maintained its height and became a bit narrower. Similarly, when I was in fullscreen mode, a 16:10 ratio filled the entire screen, which makes sense since it's the same ratio as my screen, whereas while a 4:3 ratio, the left and right edges of my screen went unused and stayed dark. So in mac OS at least, the size of the game window gets adjusted automatically to preserve the correct proportions of the game's display.

None of this directly answers your question, though. I think that the best thing to do right now is to pull your options.ini file out of your TS3 folder in Documents (you can store it somewhere else for safekeeping) and see if that restores your ability to change your settings. In fullscreen mode, you'd get better performance out of a lower resolution, but it doesn't seem to matter whether that resolution matches your screen. I doubt there's any in-game benefit to changing your laptop's resolution from its default (2560 x 1600) unless it really is too small for you to read anything. But if things are only too small within TS3, a lower in-game resolution should make everything bigger.

As far as not being able to toggle between fullscreen and windowed modes with cmd-enter, igazor has suggested to other people that perhaps another application or function is set to use that command and is blocking you from using it in TS3. I have no idea how you'd figure this out, though. I remember there was a way in OS Classic, but that's quite a few operating systems removed from the current one.
    Hiii puzzleaddict wow thanks so much!!! i feel a little bad and about this is sims 4 issue of not being able to leave fullscreen to windowed not sims 3 the problem i have!
    its interesting you cannot resize windowed in TS3 i will try this i have not opened TS3 in a while, i do know for fact when I used to play TS4 windowed i could resize the window to have it playing for example on half screen while i used other for this forums
    update: i have no issues windowing TS3, it starts up that way and is resizable as well, i can also fullscreen it

nooo luck on TS4 tho :cry:
    edited June 2018
    The reason you are getting TS3 answers to your question without being asked which game you are playing is that this is the TS3 section of the forum. There is also a Mac specific board on TS4. It would be better if you could repost your issue there. The two games are very different from each other and having this discussion on the "wrong" board only leads to confusion and misdirected advice, I'm afraid.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-on-mac-discussions
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    oh noooo, noob error!!!