March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you enjoy character bios on the gallery?

When I upload sims to the gallery, I like to add little biographies to them, because I find it amusing and like the detail it adds to gameplay. If I can't think of a story for one of my creations, I don't bother uploading. I try writing them in the style of the pre-made sims biographies, a bit of mystery, some humour, totally outlandish and sometimes twisted.

Recently, I had a few requests for certain sims I shared on here as part of an experiment I was doing and shared them right away, but I didn't like that I didn't have a story to go along with it. So I was wondering, do other players ever bother looking at them? Do the bios influence the direction of your stories, or are they just an amusement? Creators, do you give some thought to writing out a bio, or simply don't bother?

I rarely download sims off the gallery because I enjoy creating my own so much, but I do appreciate well-thought-out stories when I come across them. If I like it enough, I might let it dictate the direction of my gameplay.

Do you enjoy character bios on the gallery? 99 votes

Yes - I love them!
55%
dreamergrl84NhimSimSasquatch7HazellCorkysPetalsStrangerthantegteg87kerryemmiebethRadioAChickencchant86MindofyNezImanikeenowKatiardguezsimmerbrentleyjimmysnanthereesespiecefallenangel66BlueSeaWavescaitybee73 55 votes
Indifferent - I don't mind them
28%
SikoahGracehappysimmer2007kemiszhannaaj22LizzychicagoSim2SporeFinvolakittymeowLoriTSpannaliese39AngelEb95cheifeagleeyejennihopeCharleigh667KelvinMinguisseFlyBabySquareSimlishPopstarCherrybug90mika 28 votes
No - just give me my sims already
13%
Alexaisimgirl1010drake_mccartyhughugSimsGirlLover12ChadSims2EnkiSchmidtmariah6194summertaffy68charlesbergBusufuNindigoLiaRose1435 13 votes
Other - see commets
3%
LaBlue0314Bagoas77Funpuppy_sims345 3 votes

Comments

• kemiszkemisz Posts: 602 Member
    I tend to have my own plans for sims - though I rarely download sims off the gallery, also preferring to make my own. If the creator has included a little bio, that's cool - but it doesn't mean that's how I'll play them so I tend not to read the bios often.
    My EA ID is TranquilloSims - where I upload starter homes, family homes and some more ambitious creations.

• BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I appreciate that people take the time to write them, (I write very brief ones too) but I feel a bit bad that I don't actually notice them most of the time.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Other - see commets
    It all depends on my frame of mind at the moment. Sometimes I do enjoy reading the back story, and then there are other times that I already have my own story in mind for that sim.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,710 Member
    I selected no simply because I don't play any of the families I download. I just use them to fill up my neighborhoods and provide friends for my sim family.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Yes - I love them!
    Absolutely. I like to think that a sim with a bio has had a little more thought put into them.
  • BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,965 Member
    No because I give them their own story.
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    edited June 2018
    The only reason I ever download sims from the gallery is because I want a sim to look like a specific celebrity or fictional character, but can't or am too lazy to do it myself. So no, when I download someone's Angelina Jolie, I certainly don't care what kind of biography they wrote for her, and I'm likely to change some of the traits and outfits, too. I don't mind it as a feature, but it's not one that I use (at least not in galleries).
  • poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    Yes - I love them!
    i don't really download sims often, and if i do i don't follow along with whatever backstory the uploader set for them since i just use them as townies.
    still, i like reading what people come up with. i don't like to download sims whose descriptions are just full of hashtags.
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• SimlishPopstarSimlishPopstar Posts: 204 Member
    I don't download sims often, I go crazy downloading buildings since making sims is what I do most of the time, I would say I enjoy descriptions but most of the time I've downloaded a sim I don't really see descriptions, to me its something people don't make use of sadly.
    I'm pretty sure even I'm guilty of it.
  • Funpuppy_sims345Funpuppy_sims345 Posts: 139 Member
    Other - see commets
    Well i dont have a gallery so umm...
    Corgis4life
  • NhimSimNhimSim Posts: 316 Member
    Yes - I love them!
    I mostly download Sims for challenges (like The Murkland Challenge) and Self-Sims but I really like when people put that extra thought and effort into a Sim with a background story/bio. I Maybe I won't use it but it might be inspiring enough for me to develop new ideas for my own game and that Sim's role in it.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    Yes - I love them!
    I don't download sims often, but I truly enjoy character bios if they have one.
  • CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    Yes - I love them!
    Sometimes I download sims BECAUSE of the bio. But then, I have loads of downloaded sims I've never actually played. I keep them as a library of possible characters.
  • kittymeowkittymeow Posts: 7,338 Member
    I don't mind them but when I upload sims I don't usually add a bio so the player who downloads it can decide how they want the sim to be. :)
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I like them but I don't choose Sims based on them. I add bios to some of my Sims but not all of them. It depends. They are fun though
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I'm with @Busufu on this.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    Yes - I love them!
    A Sim without a backstory is just a Sim. While sometimes that can be what you're looking for, a bit of a blank canvas, I much prefer to see Sims with a bit of character and a goal or a purpose. I always give my Sims backstories when I upload them. Even the ones I don't upload have backstories, I just haven't written those out.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Yes - I love them!
    Even if I don't plan on keeping the bio, I still like to see them because if they bothered to write the bio, I'm more confident that when I load them into CAS they probably have a complete set of outfits.
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited June 2018
    I don't mind them, but some are poorly written and hard to understand. If I like how they look, I'll download them whether or not they have a bio. If they don't have one, I'll make one up. I've uploaded sims with a brief description/bio and some without.
  • Dallasking2018Dallasking2018 Posts: 73 Member
    Yes - I love them!
    i find them helpful at times but i dont mind them
  • BrexoxoBrexoxo Posts: 228 Member
    Yes - I love them!
    I really appreciate the time and effort people use to create character bios. The only time l add my own character bio is if l make a sim that came out so good, l have to talk about them. But usually, l make sims and upload them to the gallery without bios.
  • astera00astera00 Posts: 267 Member
    Yes - I love them!
    So_Money wrote: »
    Even if I don't plan on keeping the bio, I still like to see them because if they bothered to write the bio, I'm more confident that when I load them into CAS they probably have a complete set of outfits.

That's very insightful and actually makes sense. Yeah, if someone's bothered to write one, they've probably put more thought into the whole sim and all their outfits.

Some of the answers here were quite interesting and things I hadn't thought of. As for me, personally, I don't need to have a bio if I download a sim, but I do enjoy reading what others might have written, especially if it's an interesting or amusing one. When I write a bio, I don't expect anyone who downloads my sim to necessarily use it, but hope that maybe they enjoy it and find it amusing or it gives them some new ideas for stories, even if it is with another sim.
  • BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,323 Member
    Yes - I love them!
    Yes because I like to see what what creativity some people have put into their sims. Makes me believe an extra effort was put in creating them