Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should the game packs and stuff packs be discontinued

If we were to scrap the sims 4 and start over with sims 5 I think it would be the best decision to only have expansion packs, no more stuff packs and no more game packs.
This shouldn't mean that we would have less content, this would just mean we would have more content in our expansion with everything included without having to buy stuff packs and game packs separately ex: out door retreat would be apart of a vacation expansion with jungle adventure and other destinations.
Of course not everyone will agree with me on this one so I'd like to know what you think.

Should the game packs and stuff packs be discontinued 129 votes

Expansion packs only
7%
catitude5SavvySimmieBigCatlover26Haskorentarogarapoesvikixc135jifSassycottonBrook98LynnDrearydeary 10 votes
Expansion and stuff packs only
4%
Bagoas77geoffreypakittymeowInternal_ChaosWonderAisChazzzy 6 votes
Expansion and game packs only
19%
icmnfrshrudy8292Mandarine586Jessa_Dakkardrake_mccartyMikado-chanElenPinkdoogerieXxAirixXSummerStreakVentusMattRubyDooDavidMak89EliharbCoteDAzurHorrorgirl6SimDestroyerTS1299BrindletonTTNsimmer 25 votes
Keep expansions, game packs, and stuff packs
68%
IceyJLomelindi7VkittyAlrynnbandcampsquirreljustChrisUkinvisiblgirlsimgirl1010robyngravesJnyxg01denswanMindofycatloverplayerVuloriKatiardguezFebruary11taydevPRSJMSCeCeDotSuperSimX 88 votes

Comments

• gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    No, I like having the variety of DLC types.
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,608 Member
    I don't usually buy the game or stuff packs, but I like to have the choice to do so if I really wanted to.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I think the game packs are good value for money, so I say we keep them.

Maybe the stuff packs can become store sets again, where you can either buy them in full at a bulk price or piecemeal if you only like certain items, just so everyone is happy. (Although honestly some of the Sims 3 premium sets are underwhelming compared to a lot of TS4 stuff packs)
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Expansion and stuff packs only
    I have no clue why they created game packs. Things were fine with the format of expansion and stuff only.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Chazzzy wrote: »
    I have no clue why they created game packs. Things were fine with the format of expansion and stuff only.

Game Packs replaced premium store sets, like the Venues or Worlds from TS3 store.

There’s equivalent store sets for Spa Day & Dine Out, for example, for the same price although nowhere near as good.

Game Packs, in essence, replace the larger store sets, and Stuff Packs replace the smaller ones.

So the model hasn’t changed, it’s presented differently.

What has gone, is the original Stuff Pack model, which provided no new gameplay at all except on rare occasions.
  • kristenleighwhitekristenleighwhite Posts: 226 Member
    I really like having 3 different types of DLC. They get better the longer the game is out, and if they did 1 vacation pack for example, I would worry that it wouldn't be as good.
    Outdoor Retreat is okay, but I often run out of things to do whereas Jungle Adventures offers a lot more.
    When they break up the DLC, it gives the developers a chance to listen to our constructive criticisms so they can improve for the next type.
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    edited June 2018
    This isn’t 2004. Games today like Fortnite receive content update literally every week. It’s beyond backwards to go back to old models where you get two EPs a year and that’s it. I want something new to look forward to every month, if not even more frequently.

And you need to realize that smaller packs offer less content relative to their asking price, which means they need to sell fewer copies to be profitable for EA. Because of this, smaller packs allow them to explore a wider range of themes and make more niche stuff that fewer people ask for (in contrast to EPs where they always choose themes that have wide appeals). TS3 store for instance had some very niche stuff (such as the Alice in Wonderland set or the Las Vegas set or the Native American set). These niche sets were made because the store was very expensive and they didn’t need to sell many copies to be profitable. If the smaller packs didn’t exist, a lot of content simply would never be made.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    Not a fan of stuff packs for this game. The addition of novelty gameplay objects doesn’t make up for the lesser amount of stuff included, at least for myself. $10 isn’t a lot of money by any means, but it’s pretty annoying seeing the stuff pack lineup try to go into territory better suited for larger packs, primarily through the “gameplay content” which typically steals center stage. I’d be perfectly fine with them dropping gameplay from those and diverting that to other packs. Would open the SP lineup to offer more stuff.
  • DrearydearyDrearydeary Posts: 85 Member
    Expansion packs only
    elelunicy wrote: »
    And you need to realize that smaller packs offer less content relative to their asking price, which means they need to sell fewer copies to be profitable for EA.
    I don't think I "need to realise". I have my own thoughts and opened it up to hear others.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    edited June 2018
    If we were to scrap the sims 4 and start over with sims 5 I think it would be the best decision to only have expansion packs, no more stuff packs and no more game packs.
    This shouldn't mean that we would have less content, this would just mean we would have more content in our expansion with everything included without having to buy stuff packs and game packs separately ex: out door retreat would be apart of a vacation expansion with jungle adventure and other destinations.
    Of course not everyone will agree with me on this one so I'd like to know what you think.

No.

Stuff and Gamepacks bring us stuff the Expansion Team won't add. One example is bowling. I remember Graham saying they did bowling in a Stuffpack cause the EP team said they weren't adding it or something to that effect.

Also imagine waiting 6 months or longer with no content. I hate Sim News and Content Droughts. We're just now getting over 1.

Fortuanly Grant said there is years of Sims 4 stuff coming. I"m not ready for Sims 5.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member

No.

Stuff and Gamepacks bring us stuff the Expansion Team won't add. One example is bowling. I remember Graham saying they did bowling in a Stuffpack cause the EP team said they weren't adding it or something to that effect.

Also imagine waiting 6 months or longer with no content. I hate Sim News and Content Droughts. We're just now getting over 1.

Do you really believe that? Here’s how it really breaks down, the EP team won’t make content that can be piecemealed on its own. Hence why stuff packs are there to fill the void with that content. It totals out to more money for EA, and about the same amount of content previously obtainable for a lesser price. Don’t believe it’s a refusal that’s preventing any team from making anything, it’s all about maximizing the money this game brings in while making the player think they’re getting a better deal. It’s not a better deal. Bowling doesn’t even utilize the group chat system of the base game.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I say keep expansion, game and stuff packs but do a better job at picking what goes where both vacation packs failed as game packs and would of been much better in a fully fleshed out expansion while smaller themes like Spa Parenting and somewhat Vampire were amazingly done even though they failed in the vampire hunting aspect. If anything they should add another expansion a year and hire another team if required the last thing you will ever hear a Sim player say is there is to many expansions.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    I like having all 3.... I wish they would add world packs.
  • BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    Realisticly EA will never do that.

I wouldn't mind no more stuff packs though, especially after the My First Pet situation.
  • kaitlyn0kaitlyn0 Posts: 512 Member
    I like having all three because content gets released throughout the year. If we got just one giant expansion (like the example the OP gave), we would have to wait a very long time for the next EP. Also, I still haven't experienced all of the new features that come with EPs and GPs. If we received one giant EP/GP/SP hybrid, I would be so overwhelmed!
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    It's easier to pay for what I want and avoid paying for what I don't want when there are a variety of packs available. I don't want to end up having to pay $40 to get a pack with just a couple things that I want.

Also, unpopular opinion of course, but I really like most of the stuff packs.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited June 2018

No.

Do you really believe that? Here’s how it really breaks down, the EP team won’t make content that can be piecemealed on its own. Hence why stuff packs are there to fill the void with that content. It totals out to more money for EA, and about the same amount of content previously obtainable for a lesser price. Don’t believe it’s a refusal that’s preventing any team from making anything, it’s all about maximizing the money this game brings in while making the player think they’re getting a better deal. It’s not a better deal. Bowling doesn’t even utilize the group chat system of the base game.

I believe it.

Because the Sims 2 had a small handful of gameplay items (by gameplay items I don’t mean new animations, I mean new gameplay. Sims 2 had a lot of items with new animations that didn’t offer new gameplay as such) as there was no other medium outside of EPs to offer them. We didn’t get more when those packs didn’t exist. We Just missed out

The Sims 3 EPs offered a lot of gameplay items compared to 2, but the Sims 3 store offered a lot of items that were in demand but didn’t suit EP ideas.

We still don’t have lounge chairs, bunk beds etc which is stuff Graham really wants to see, but the EP or GP team haven’t done. Graham probably would have already organised it if they had the budget.

It’s extremely easy for me see that if those items still haven’t come, that things like Bowling, Hot Tubs, Laundry etc. weren’t coming from the EP team anytime soon, if ever.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Brindleton wrote: »
    Realisticly EA will never do that.

I wouldn't mind no more stuff packs though, especially after the My First Pet situation.

I think people were rather short-sighted about that. I don't like vampires or aliens and I don't have C&D (though I love cats), but many people who do like to play vampires, etc would like more stuff for them. There are only two ways to do this - sell a stuff pack that includes items that only vampires can use (requiring the vampire pack to make full use of it), or include the whole vampire pack in another game pack, forcing people who already paid for the original pack to pay for a second game pack to get more content. Basically, they'd be paying game pack prices to get a stuff pack.

It seems to me that they *should* be able to offer a $10 stuff pack to expand content for a particular niche of players, even if that content depends on features in other packs. Just as long as they're clear that, say, a $10 pack with new clothes for aliens doesn't actually add aliens to the game, I don't see it as a problem. (If anything, they went overboard with MFP - as others have suggested, they should have marketed it as a small pet pack with bonus content for cats and dogs rather than as a pack requiring C&D to work.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    No. I think they’re all great for different reasons. Personally, I think game packs are the best value for the money, and I like that there are different options for people
  • thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 696 Member
    Lol naw. I am happy with the types of packs they put out now.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    The way it is now, we get more content without having to wait an entire year for an EP. We have GPs to keep us occupied for a bit with new Gameplay and SPs to add new objects and CAS items.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I like it the way it is, I like being able to frequently anticipate new content. If we're only expansions it would be forever and a day between new downloads.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    I like it the way it is, though it would be better is stuff packs had more items, some like Luxury Party and Cool Kitchen stuff contain almost nothing. And I don't have My first Pet stuff but I think it was unfair for those who don't have Cats and Dogs. And even for those who have it, as it should have been included.
  • Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    We need all three types to accommodate all types of players and their requests.

Expansions are diverse in content and cater to a wide variety of simmers.
    Game Packs focus on more so singular themes that can be content filled.
    Stuff Packs give us the more niche themes that don't really fit in any other pack or don't have enough content to be bigger.

Personally, I love Stuff Packs the most because of the variety each one adds to my game.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.