Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should Swimming Be A Separate Skill?

ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
edited June 2018 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
Swimming is a life skill just like cooking. Everyone should know how to swim. People who aren’t even physically fit know how to swim. It just occurred to me that swimming shouldn’t be under Fitness, it should be it’s own skill just like they made the Wellness skill for yoga.

I think it would be nice if we had a new pack this Summer that gave us more things to do with our pools, like maybe some pools objects to use to float on, a basketball goal for the pool, or a ball to toss around, etc and also made Swimming a new skill!

What do you think?

Should Swimming Be A Separate Skill? 149 votes

Yes, swimming should be a separate skill.
59%
TheStarHermitredrogue60aelias24Writin_RegAlrynnBrokenChaos69CynnaCherryrose_xGothicKing13Bagoas77rosehrtgirlluthienrisingNivyxSimgurl20simmietimeDryodaSim2SporeFoxrox77CeCeDotchangelings 89 votes
No, keep swimming under the Fitness skill.
40%
DannydanboSamadamsPlayerErja888SikoahGraceSasquatch7Strangerthansimgirl1010robyngravesJestTrug01denswangoodcakebaker62marcel21mueller_liteJennyggPegasyssassygray5TrowiciaTerraElenPinkXxAirixX 60 votes

Comments

• DrearydearyDrearydeary Posts: 85 Member
    I voted no because I don't think a high swim skill would be very beneficial, it would make sense to have it separate to make it more realistic, but gameplay wise it would just make your sim swim better and then what... It wouldn't really benefit you in any other aspect. Also I feel like there's too many different skills as it is, it's almost overwhelming
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I voted no because I don't think a high swim skill would be very beneficial, it would make sense to have it separate to make it more realistic, but gameplay wise it would just make your sim swim better and then what... It wouldn't really benefit you in any other aspect. Also I feel like there's too many different skills as it is, it's almost overwhelming

Interesting. I don’t mind a bunch of skills actually. I agree though, gameplay wise it doesn’t add much but I’ve always been a fan of realism.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I'd be all for it if there were anything interesting about swimming. So as it stands, no, but if they implemented proper swimming strokes, absolutely.
  • SamadamsPlayerSamadamsPlayer Posts: 583 Member
    Yes & no as it stands keep it as is
    But if they where able to have it as a skill as the simmer above has said then yes have it as a skill but also adds to the fitness skill as you get better , as in real life you learn how to swim , so in game it sould be built upon
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    I don't see how swimming would make an interesting skill to gain. You get better and can swim faster? ...longer? ...learn another swimming technique? ...dive? ...float? I'd rather have something else.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited June 2018
    This has always bothered me, having "fitness" increase a Sim's ability to do something they've never even tried before. The game doesn't do that with musical skills. It doesn't lump Yoga in. But somehow both Swimming and Basketball are improved by lots of jogging and weightlifting. They should be separated out. I think this would be a *great* free game update, even if it only affected future skill increase. On the other hand, they would then also have to overhaul those systems so that skills *visibly* increase: worse diving becomes better; Sims swim faster and have more strokes available (not just one); success at basketball increases in noticeable ways. But I'd be happy with 5-level skills like Bowling has for these.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    If its a major update that adds new swimming styles like freestyle stroke, the breaststroke, the backstroke and the butterfly stroke and the ability for Sims to race each other I'm all for it make a sport out of it. If its just a skill to have Sims randomly swim around the pool but better it would not be as useful to put all that effort.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • redrogue60redrogue60 Posts: 2,050 Member
    edited June 2018
    My thought is that Swimming should be a skill but that is also affects fitness and this is how I would implement it.
    • It should improve overall fitness, so while you are learning to swim it will level fitness too
    • Second level swimming will teach you to play Marco Polo
    • Leveling the first level of swimming should earn you the ability to tread water and float
    • Improvements in levels should include a different types of Swimming style/stroke per level like Doggie Paddle and Breast Stroke
    • Higher levels swimmers can dive off the diving board and do amazing dives and tricks which improve with practice and higher level swimming.
    • Highest level swimmers can learn the scuba skill
    • Higher level swimmer s will be able to learn to surf and boogie board
    • Drowning should be a death

I would also add being able to learn CPR at a Hospital Rabbit hole. This would allow your SIM to Life Guard as a new Part Time job and give NPC Life guards at the beaches and pools
    “All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.” Terry Pratchett
    redrogue60 wrote: »
    My thought is that Swimming should be a skill but that is also affects fitness and this is how I would implement it.
    • It should improve overall fitness, so while you are learning to swim it will level fitness too
    • Second level swimming will teach you to play Marco Polo
    • Leveling the first level of swimming should earn you the ability to tread water and float
    • Improvements in levels should include a different types of Swimming style/stroke per level like Doggie Paddle and Breast Stroke
    • Higher levels swimmers can dive off the diving board and do amazing dives and tricks which improve with practice and higher level swimming.
    • Highest level swimmers can learn the scuba skill
    • Higher level swimmer s will be able to learn to surf and boogie board
    • Drowning should be a death

I would also add being able to learn CPR at a Hospital Rabbit hole. This would allow your SIM to Life Guard as a new Part Time job and give NPC Life guards at the beaches and pools

Noiiice!
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    edited June 2018
    I was a fan of the concept that you first level a basic skill and then it branches out. Sadly they only ever used that in basegame for cooking and gourmet cooking. So ideally we'd have a five level fitness skill that evolves into athletics and unlocks basketball, swimming, bowling, climbing and others. But since we do not get that anymore I prefer seperate skills, my main reason being that having many specialized skills helps to differentiate my sims more from each other.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Yes, because have you ever seen the shoulders of a swimmer? They don't look like those of a jogger!

The fitness activity chosen should alter how the sim develops muscles. If they jog all the time, then they get lean in the upper body, and have more muscular legs, if they swim all the time, their shoulders should be more developed, while their lower body and legs remain lean.

Also, swimmers should be better singers, due to lung capacity... or something.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    I say no. They can't really do tricks or special movements, so I don't see the point unless they add in scuba diving or something. A lot of people look different depending on sports. A jogger is also not going to look like a body builder either.
  • mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member
    Arguably, everything could be it's own skill, let's not go skill crazy here. There are other things I'd rather see more then a bunch of skills split up in to individual ones.
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
    edited June 2018
    Arguably, everything could be it's own skill, let's not go skill crazy here. There are other things I'd rather see more then a bunch of skills split up in to individual ones.

Every instrument has its own skill. We have piano, violin, singing etc as separate. Fitness and Wellness are separate skills. Why should swimming be lumped in with fitness?

I’m not advocating for separating Rock Climbing because you have to be reasonably fit to do that in the first place. But anyone can swim. In fact swimming is recommended for older people as well. Swimming is not just limited to the physically fit which is why I believe it should be separated.
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    I think it should be a separate skill. Like others have said, musical instruments have their own skills and the fact that yoga is in its own category. IIRC, the dance barre in TS3 gave both dancing and fitness skills?

IMO, swimming its own kind of fitness, like yoga/wellness.
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    I voted no because be a separated skill will be for teen and older, no for kids to increase their motor skill
  • takenbysheeptakenbysheep Posts: 343 Member
    I'm friends with a girl who is an amazing athlete-she's a cross country runner, plays basketball and softball, but she can't swim at all. I think it's realistic to have a swimming skill on it's own. I might be biased because I've been on swimming teams and have always loved the sport haha :)

I also think this would add lots more depth to the "teach to swim" interactions that adults have with kids. I was disappointed when I realized that it's pretty much just your sim talking to their kid while treading water. Having swimming as its own skill could make this interaction cooler, and help child sims level up quickly in the skill.

Sims with low swimming skill would be more likely to drown after swimming for a long time, and as has been mentioned there could be an added CPR interaction.

Like people have been saying, it could add pool games like marco polo or playful races between sims, breath holding contests, etc. I love seeing my sims in the pool but I feel like what they can do in it is lacking. Adding a swimming skill could make it a lot cooler :)
  • ayyitsmellayyitsmell Posts: 434 Member
    I voted yes, to have it as a separate skill.
    It would also be nice to have different dance types as separate skills :#

Like someone mentioned above, someone could be fit and not know how to swim. I think it would make sense to have it as a skill. I know how to swim but I can't swim as good as a professional can nor do I do the same tricks and strokes as professional swimmers.

meme1-e1387841887403.jpg

It would be nice to see different swim styles / strokes as well as the ability to teach kids how to swim (not sure if it is already an option).Toddlers learning how to swim/float will naturally have the skill when they grow up to child/teen, making them better at swimming than a sim that hasn't learned yet. Also, it can bring a new trait/aspiration like natural swimmer or something. I would like to see sims have inflatable beach balls to throw around, play volleyball in the water, marco polo, etc.

I think It could also bring new pool build mode items (stairs, sloped floors for varying pool depth, etc.) as well as new bathing suits, games, and items like bouys (for the bigger olympic style pools), floaties, noodles, and loungers. I would like to see tiered diving platforms (diving towers I think they're called?) Maybe a lot with an olympic pool so sims can go take swimming classes (at any age), synchronized swimming classes, or have swimming competitions with a coach. This could add lifeguards (NPC and/or career) to help drowning sims or give CPR to someone, like the person above mentioned.
    Ayy It's Mell ♥

• FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    I think I'm generally for it, tho I'd really be most interested in having a way for kids to build fitness skills once they've maxed motor and swimming seems like an easy way they could make that happen. But if there was a way for kids to build fitness AND get a swimming skill, I'd be all for it. I just really want that motor kids aspiration to actually feel worth it lol. Right now the only skill you can get once motor is maxed is video gaming, and you get that through maxing mental too, so...

Honestly, ideally I'd love a whole bunch of physical skills, and some new physical aspirations as well--swimming, gymnastics, dance as a real things and not just for parties. I was kinda disappointed when I heard the fitness pack didn't have any new aspiration and basically had nothing for kids. I'd love a swimming aspiration at least, so if we got that with a new swimming skill, I'd love it. I don't mind new skills, but I DO think any new skill should come with at least one aspiration or career specifically for it. Otherwise, I find it hardly ever gets used in my game. Like, wellness is cool I guess, but I've honestly never pursued building it cause there's no aspiration or career.

So, basically, YES to a swimming skill IF they include aspirations, careers, and skill building for kids.
  • asap24asap24 Posts: 48 Member
    Skating should definitely be its own skill as well
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    asap24 wrote: »

It is, it's just a hidden skill.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    Cupid wrote: »
    asap24 wrote: »

It is, it's just a hidden skill.

Is there a way to unlock those so we can see them all?
  • PartiallyBulletsPartiallyBullets Posts: 32 Member
    unless a swimming career is added, i feel swimming should stay with active. swimming falls under that category, anyway.
  • sofasimsofasim Posts: 128 Member
    if they make swimming a seperate skill I would like to see sims be able to do some kind of tricks in the water. And with higher skill in swimming they could have new ways to jump into the pool and maybe dive (even if it's just in the pool). Then it would make sense.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    The only way I'd ever support swimming as a separate skill (and only up to 5) would be if I could get synchronized swimming into it. Higher swimming skill would mean better synchronised swimming acts. The least they could do is hide the skill like they did for Skating (which in hindsight was wrong to make Skating skill hidden).
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png