Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It's time to bring in more reaction options like lol, agree and disagree.

Comments

• EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    This forum has been around for years now. Why haven’t they implemented the ability to get notifications when someone quotes you?

I don’t mean the option to turn on notifications when someone comments on a thread you commented on, which is how it works now, but just when you’re actually quoted. I mean, what exactly is the hold up.

I really hope they’re working on this.

You know i was thinking the same thing the other day it's really how that doesn't really notify the quoted one maybe we can ask @EA_Mage

@Chazzzy @husseinandali Thank you very much for you feedback on this. Currently there is no quick and easy way to enable this feature, but we will look into it.

Thanks,
    -Mage
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2018
    loutredor wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    And bottom line maybe some of us should remember we aren't here to be 'liked' but to talk about a game , period, then it would be easier to see a disagree button or a lol, don't you think?
    lol button at the wrong time. That was no reason to take away the lol button in my opinion.

I agree with this. Personally I just emitted the idea of being identified when using the buttons because it would be convenient to show people you read their response; and I guess, to show if you agreed or disagreed with it after a conversasion, when you feel nothing left has to be said, could be convenient too. I cannot even begin to comprehend how people could be offended this bad by buttons, but honestly, considering the extreme reactions on this thread to a simple mention of those buttons, or of the topic of anonymity, I am beginning to think that maybe, indeed, it is not such a great idea. If people react this way on this thread there is no way they would react better if the buttons were used.
    Also I don't think people shouldn't talk about their personal problems on the forums, if they want to. But by doing that they have to be aware that they are talking to hundreds of unknown people, some of which might not be nice. Whether those people have a button, or simply words to use, is not going to change the fact that you can get insensitive reactions. If you feel a topic is important to you enough that other's reactions might hurt you, maybe you should consider not talking about it with strangers.

It's far more unlikely that a person who would click 'lol' on the death of someone's pet or family member, would post *laughs at you* instead though. Just throwing that out there. Being anon is why those buttons were abused in the first place. Bullies aren't in a habit of bullying when they can get in trouble (moderated) for it, lol. At least, not for very long.

I'm going to disagree with you, too. People, myself included, who post personal stuff on a game forum should not be looking for any comfort from strangers. There are many wonderful people here, but really the person who was posting anything sad about their pet dying and not related to the game, was breaking the rules by posting off topic subjects. This site used to have many who came here to tell their life story and that was their titles and subjects....this is not the place. ETA: That's why we have Face Book...game forums should remain strictly about games.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    lisasc360 wrote: »

OMG! This right here was so bad back in the day. And I used to see these groups people making comments about so and so even though they didn't really come out and say people's names but we knew who they were talking about. Or even when certain people would comment on the activity feed and the people from the certain group/s would all comment on that users post only for that person to remove any unwanted comments from their posts.

And for anonymity, we already have this as we are not allowed to use real life pictures of ourselves unlike Facebook where people have the option to use or not use real life pictures.

I'm just happy when someone makes a comment about my updates that I do over in "The What Happened in your TS3 game today?" thread as that indicates that they have read my updates and had enjoyed them. Or even when someone comments over in the thread that I have for my SS story that I have been playing on since last year. Or even on comments and/or posts that have pictures in them on my wall/activity feed page... :)

The activity feed is safe these days but that used to be a big war zone. Sadly some of the biggest and most outrageous trolling that I have ever witnessed was on the activity feed on these forums :(
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    As for disagree: that button triggers laziness. When you agree with someone that’s positive and most of the time you simply have nothing to add. When you do it’s your loss when you don’t elaborate. When you press a disagree button you just shove your rejection into someone’s face without taking the effort to explain why. In that case it’s not your own loss, it’s annoying for the poster. So where like and awesome and insightful are there to support posters (and opinions, for me personally more important most of the time), disagree is just there to annoy (not that it’s always meant to annoy, but it will be annoying to the poster anyway). I don’t see the added value of that. Disagree? Fine, explain why and we can talk about it.

I agree with you and cupid on this.

The disagree button was a magnet for annoying passive-aggressiveness.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member

OMG! This right here was so bad back in the day. And I used to see these groups people making comments about so and so even though they didn't really come out and say people's names but we knew who they were talking about. Or even when certain people would comment on the activity feed and the people from the certain group/s would all comment on that users post only for that person to remove any unwanted comments from their posts.

And for anonymity, we already have this as we are not allowed to use real life pictures of ourselves unlike Facebook where people have the option to use or not use real life pictures.

I'm just happy when someone makes a comment about my updates that I do over in "The What Happened in your TS3 game today?" thread as that indicates that they have read my updates and had enjoyed them. Or even when someone comments over in the thread that I have for my SS story that I have been playing on since last year. Or even on comments and/or posts that have pictures in them on my wall/activity feed page... :)

The activity feed is safe these days but that used to be a big war zone. Sadly some of the biggest and most outrageous trolling that I have ever witnessed was on the activity feed on these forums :(

I agree with you. It is a lot better now than it was back in the day. I really think that a lot of the people that did like to troll other people have either finally left the site for good or they're lurking just waiting to troll people that they don't like.

I remember one of my friends had gotten a temp-ban from this site and one of those members who kept trolling her page came back long enough to make a comment about a certain someone being banned and that they were happy about the ban. And then after that comment, that person hasn't been back since. And it might be that my friend really hasn't posted much on the site even though they do still visit whenever they can.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited June 2018
    I have observed the community long enough to know many things have be abused. I've seen Simmers even offended by the like button just as much as the LOL and disagree button actually. LOL actually was used as a way to mean lots of love for some Simmers but others reacted differently to it. Disagree was used as a way to avoid arguments because if you dare even explain why you disagree with someone you are called every single name under the sun and more prone to being banned and warned by other Simmers. The whole system needs revamping I think. Honestly the best thing that could happen with forums is getting rid of the like button and the leaderboards because I've seen countless times both of those things being abused within the Sims community. More unbiased reporting would be nice to see too, but in order for that to happen I feel like the like button needs to go away sometime soon. Awesome and insightful don't seem to trigger Simmers which is nice to see.

This is a good article on how to handle trigger warnings and hot buttons with social media and why I don't think some of the current buttons are helping with the forum environment: http://ellenbard.com/emotional-triggers/

Anyway I would like the "Like" button replaced with a hug button because honestly sending virtual hugs can oddly be soothing which I've noticed from using Discord and Twitch. A woohoo button would be fun to see too, but not sure if mods would allow one. Basically I wouldn't mind if all the buttons were changed to Sims related ones that would be more brand orientated rather than the same as every other social media site out there. I don't like seeing forums copy Facebook/Twitter emotes as it doesn't bring a healthy forum environment. Like a freezer bunny emote, a llamacorn emote, a Jerry emote, a woohoo emote, a plumbob emote, etc. Handy emote with the Sims icon would be cool for helpful posts. @EA_Mage do you think Sims themed emotes would make your job easier?
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    Actually @EA_Mage how doable would it be to have the Sims Mobile stickers replace the buttons on forums? It would keep it Sims brand related and honestly I haven't seen any negative reaction to those stickers so far. It would be a nice way to update the site to a more modern system with it and easier for new posters to understand those and bring a fresh start to the forum environment. Not everyone gets what insightful, like, and awesome buttons are. I mean those stickers could be used in fun ways like polls for ideas for packs. :)
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    @Scobre I'm sorry, I know it is just a detail of your post but I would like to say very quickly: the article you linked, comparing PTSD triggers to "things that can push our buttons and make us angry", and applying the idea of trigger warnings to it like it's totally the same thing, is really offensive. I can't believe it was written by someone who call themselves a psychologist, it's actually really scary. Trigger warnings are not a "controversy"! Even in the case the person gradually tries to expose themselves to their triggers, it has to be in a safe and controlled environment. Being exposed to a trigger without warning could actually be very dangerous for a person with ptsd. I'm surprised the journalist didn't apply her theory to parents' guides and age restrictions if indeed she thinks everyone can be exposed to anything...
    I'm all for opening up dialogue about the ways of controlling our emotions on the internet. But completely disregarding a mental health issue that has nothing to do with it in the process is not okay for me.
    edited June 2018
    If I wanted to see stickers from a Sim social game I would be in that forum. Don't we already have enough complaints about TS4 looking and behaving as a social/mobile game? I think so. Changing the forum over to buttons and icons that represent the Sims Mobile stickers would sicken many. Hugs instead of the like button...why do grown ups need hugs when someone disagrees with their opinion? I have no doubt there are more adults that come to this forum than kids under sixteen. I'm sorry but sugar coating an opinion and sugar coating a different opinion than mine is too much coddling going on. And comparing PSTD to triggers about a game forum is beyond the pale. Babying people is not the way to get along. It's a cop out.

ETA: And if we/me are that big of babies then hand me a cookie. Cookies can be agreesive too can't they as in implying the person needs one.

ETA: And while I'm on my tangent, likes were accused of being abused too...because someone got more likes in a discussion than someone else. So everyone was accused of bullying...good grief maybe some need to take a maturity pill.

And disagree is passive-aggressive? Time for reality check. ETA: and one more accusing people who used the disagree button instead a lengthy reply as lazyiness is absurd.

Let's do something new, whoever flags someone is shown as the flagger..then we can determine if it was a legit flag or not or are they just being passive agreesive? Why not, since so many want to see who disagreed with them. Same difference.

ETA: I must be the odd ball out here, disagree has never meant rejection to me. Why it does to some others is beyond my understanding since I'm not in a contest, but just stating an opinion, no one has to ever agree with my opinion, it's mine, and therefore can't be 'rejected' but simply stated.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited June 2018
    loutredor wrote: »
    @Scobre I'm sorry, I know it is just a detail of your post but I would like to say very quickly: the article you linked, comparing PTSD triggers to "things that can push our buttons and make us angry", and applying the idea of trigger warnings to it like it's totally the same thing, is really offensive. I can't believe it was written by someone who call themselves a psychologist, it's actually really scary. Trigger warnings are not a "controversy"! Even in the case the person gradually tries to expose themselves to their triggers, it has to be in a safe and controlled environment. Being exposed to a trigger without warning could actually be very dangerous for a person with ptsd. I'm surprised the journalist didn't apply her theory to parents' guides and age restrictions if indeed she thinks everyone can be exposed to anything...
    I'm all for opening up dialogue about the ways of controlling our emotions on the internet. But completely disregarding a mental health issue that has nothing to do with it in the process is not okay for me.
    I wasn't meaning to cause offense with it @loutredor so I am sorry if it came across that way, but yes buttons can potentially have effects on emotions on the internet regardless if someone is dealing with something health wise or not. Thanks for taking the time to read it and give honest feedback on it. I honestly agree on what you had to say about the article. I have seen the like button abused just as much as the other buttons of causing fights on these forums. I do agree about doing the reactions to triggers in a safe and controlled environment would be best and forums might not be the best place to practice it at first. Everyone is different on how they react to things on the internet and not everyone who has PTSD or other health concerns react this way towards buttons. Buttons do not bother me personally. All I know is something does need to change because even the current set-up isn't working for some from what I've seen with lurking.

Thanks @Cinebar I was curious on how it would be received so I appreciate the honesty. Honestly I wouldn't mind neutral buttons that are neither positive or negative, that way there is no emotions attached to them or favoritism towards buttons for everyone. True there was a poll about more adults that visit this forum than kids. Yeah likes have been accused as being abused because I've seen it explained, "Why do X group get more likes than me for being critical about the game?" "Why are Simmers more critical about the game are on the leaderboard?" I've had friends get harassed over such things. LOL I guess flag is the new disagree button? I never understood why someone had to explain the disagree button. It is like does someone need to go into deep detail with agree, LOL, awesome, insightful, and like buttons too? But yeah odd when MTS can actually handle having a variety of buttons. I never understood why it is such a different reaction here. Maybe there does need to be buttons to set forums apart from social media and mobile games then? I mean I guess of all the buttons that exist now insightful is probably the most unique. So what types of buttons would you like to see Cinebar?
    Post edited by Scobre on
    edited June 2018
    I would like to see a helpful button, to rate a post (if meant to be helpful) as helpful. I think if someone was trying to make a joke or be funny or they express themselves in a funny manner, (they meant to be funny) they deserve a LOL. Because many people here have a great sense of humor whether it's straight up funny or dry humor. If they made me laugh then they deserve to get their buttons. ETA: Like MS support uses a helpful button 1-5 rate an answer and if not helpful why not...so when I ask a question I could search for the best answer.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    Since the LOL button has been removed, I've been relegated to simply click the like button. I never once used the LOL to laugh AT somebody, but if a post was amusing, humorous I was inclined to let them know by clicking on the LOL button.

I do realize there are those who abuse it, and hence no more LOL button. Instead, could we please have a Humorous Button to let the poster know their sense of humor was appreciated?

Please, and thank you, in advance.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited November 2018
    Glad it's gone and would like to keep it that way.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    edited June 2018
    When reading posts, sometimes it will just weight down a thread to have to say thankyou and then the other person answer back 'you're welcome'. This can go on for several posts. It would be helpful if we had a Thank You button and a You're Welcome. That way threads are not bogged down by this back and forth of proper manners. I know this sounds sort of rude, however, in a big thread sometimes there are sevearal thank you and welcomes back and forth. If we had a button even people who don't want to add anything to a thread, could press a Thanks button and the person with the info (who often helps others) could press a welcome button and go about their business of helping others instead of having to reply to each and every thank you. :)
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    D-R-A-M-A

with a capital D

I say bring it on! Also the ability to see who reacted to your post and not just the number of times.

Oh you :p

Oh, the two of you :heart:
    I laughed for several minutes :smile:
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I don't think agree/disagree are needed but a LOL would be cool
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

citysimmer wrote: »

@citysimmer, we had a "lol" reaction button but it got taken away due to it being abused and misused by some simmers. Some simmers felt like they were harassed by people who used the lol button to make fun of things that wasn't all that funny such as when someone posts about being sick or someone dying.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/856964/lol-and-disagree-buttons#latest
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    citysimmer wrote: »

@citysimmer, we had a "lol" reaction button but it got taken away due to it being abused and misused by some simmers. Some simmers felt like they were harassed by people who used the lol button to make fun of things that wasn't all that funny such as when someone posts about being sick or someone dying.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/856964/lol-and-disagree-buttons#latest

Oh, I see. :( Guess we'll have to stick to like/awesome then.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    People abused the disagree reaction or people got butt hurt over others not agreeing with their opinions so that's why they removed them.
    giphy.gif

• Kali_DurgaKali_Durga Posts: 197 Member
    people over here are too sensitive.
    Kali_Durga wrote: »

Sadly it's an internet thing with people being too sensitive and not just on this site. jmo
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    I can't really see what's wrong with an Agree button. Insightful is something specific and doesn't cover most agrees, while isn't Awesome just a more effusive version of Like? I'd replace awesome and insightful with more generic ones, or else remove the lot and just leave Like, which covers most reasons for a positive response.
    Seera1024 wrote: »

Sadly it's an internet thing with people being too sensitive and not just on this site. jmo

ehh not really, i know plenty of websites where people are very politically incorrect and they have less issues than these politically correct forums :p
    i would say that people above their 26s get very offended by anything, really. old hags dont know how to have fun.

And I'm sure those under 26 get offended easily too, because their brain hasn't matured enough to realize that ignoring it is probably best.

Let's not generalize the age of people getting worked up over little things.

Those forums you see with politically incorrect members may only appear to have less issues with people getting offended. Those sites may have an older target audience who is more mature than the target audience of this site. They may get equally as offended, but they'll respond in a more mature way. So topics and threads that go politically incorrect aren't instantly closed down due to that because the members aren't breaking other rules in response.

This.

I've seen people who is under the age of 26 getting offended over things as well because the younger generation think that they know everything and a lot more than the older generation. They say that we don't know how it is now as this is a different time and place but we know a lot more than they do as we've been alive longer than they have.
  • ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    Plenty of good reasons for the discontinuation of this feature have been given (even ones having nothing to do with how sensitive or PC the population here is) yet here we still are clinging to "ppl r 2 sensitive" arguments to explain it. Why? It makes no sense. I think plenty of people across all ages on this forum could do with some growing up.
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited October 2018
    I'm... well, older than 26 and younger than 40, and I also grew up in a place that has been on the leading edge of political correctness for decades (which I believed then and believe now was mostly a good thing for myself and my cohort). I'm certainly sensitive about certain subjects, but I'd never claim that my privately taking offense at an opinion is reason enough to censor it.

I could write an entire essay about how people of all ages and walks of life seem to have forgotten how to distinguish between challenging opinions and disrespecting people. I could recount a number of times where a misunderstanding here (in the neglected backwaters of the TS3 section) has been resolved because the involved parties had a mutual desire to coexist peacefully with each other, and the motivation to make it happen. I could cite examples of how other places with relaxed rules of engagement have descended into toxicity as trolls and other ill-intentioned personalities have taken advantage of the permissive atmosphere. All of these topics are relevant to the general discussion of how we'd like to maintain public and semipublic spaces, including but not limited to those on the internet.

But none of them matter to the question at hand—how these forums in particular are managed. This is EA's sandbox, and the company has every right to set rules for those who want to play in it. If EA wants this space to be safe and welcoming, perhaps occasionally at the expense of some freedom of expression, then that's how it's going to be.

And for the record, I like it here, or I'd never have stuck around.