Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It's time to bring in more reaction options like lol, agree and disagree.

Comments

• IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »
    Reksoh wrote: »
    I think oversensitivity really gets overused as an argument for everything nowadays. This is simply a matter of abuse. if i get into an argument with someone and they decide they dont like me and disagree on everything I post in the future, i wont be offended... i will just be sad that I cant know how many people actually disagree with me and how many people just dont like me. Then the button ends up not telling me anything useful anyway. Theres just no point for it.

You just described oversensitivity.

Not necessarily *over*sensitive. As someone said further up, none of us really like being disagreed with, it's always nice to be affirmed. But I think what's happening in recent times is that people are losing the tolerance for negative feelings. I think in the days when I was brought up, (in the 50s) we were conditioned that sometimes we'd feel bad about something or offended and that was just a feeling we could live through and deal with, not some life-changing disaster. We still had all the same feelings just they were not considered dangerous to our wellbeing. In many ways they were considered learning opportunities.
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    I don't think the disagree button is a good idea because this forum is for feedback if we don't say why we don't like something we will do no good for the game

In that case, shouldn't the Like, Insightful and Awesome buttons go too, and we have to say why we liked the post?
  • loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    I don't think the disagree button is a good idea because this forum is for feedback if we don't say why we don't like something we will do no good for the game

In that case, shouldn't the Like, Insightful and Awesome buttons go too, and we have to say why we liked the post?

I think the difference is, agreeing means you think the same as what is described in the original post, so there is no need to repeat it. Whereas disagreeing means you think something different. So, yeah, in that case, it is better to say what it is you think rather than just pressing a button in my opinion.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2018
    I’m fine with awesoming when I lol tbh.
    Cupid wrote: »
    I think disagree buttons are just useless. If you disagree with something, elaborate as to why. That's the point of a forum, to discuss things.
    Couldn’t agree more!

ETA: I think there’s more to disliking the lol button being abused than being too sensitive. I think the fact people were using the button like that were spoiling the functionality of such a button and thereby making it useless. It also feels toxic and that’s just not an atmosphere I personally like. By saying people who don’t like this abuse are too sensitive, the blame is shifted to the wrong end of the problem. The people who apparently can’t manage to behave respectfully are the problem, not the people who don’t like the poor behaviour.

As for disagree: that button triggers laziness. When you agree with someone that’s positive and most of the time you simply have nothing to add. When you do it’s your loss when you don’t elaborate. When you press a disagree button you just shove your rejection into someone’s face without taking the effort to explain why. In that case it’s not your own loss, it’s annoying for the poster. So where like and awesome and insightful are there to support posters (and opinions, for me personally more important most of the time), disagree is just there to annoy (not that it’s always meant to annoy, but it will be annoying to the poster anyway). I don’t see the added value of that. Disagree? Fine, explain why and we can talk about it.

Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    loutredor wrote: »
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    @Rflong7 wrote: »
    @loutredor wrote: »
    @Rflong7 wrote: »
    @loutredor wrote: »
    @Rflong7 It's so hard to tell if you're trolling or not sometimes :D

In what way? Because I don't troll. :confused:

*Talking about the buttons we can only give an Insightful, Like, or Awesome. Can't dislike, can't disagree, nor Love.
    **Nor give a Cookie but I'm working on it.

Oh well then. What I meant is, pressing "awesome" means you love a comment. Not pressing any button means you don't like nor love nor insightful nor cookie the comment.

No, Awesome just means Awesome. Not love, not Like, not anything other than Awesome. If you see something else in a word than what it is, then no word has any meaning. :)

Not pressing could mean anything- from indifferent to "I don't care," to "I really don't want to get into this again." So, just because there are no buttons pressed on a comment- it doesn't mean anything.
    Just like pressing the little button means nothing. It's just a button.-- it's an ego trip to both the presser and the pressie. A little validation in our lives.

Me, I smiled with the disagree because I at least know someone read it. My little ego is bumped a bit. :lol:

That is a nice philosophy and all but... there is a little heart on the Awesome button which clearly is the symbol for love. Words are not the only thing to carry meaning :)
    Also if we think that way, the cookie button would just mean you think the post is a cookie, not that you want to give a cookie to the poster. Which is possible, of course, although a very uncommon reaction.

Of course you just want to give the post a Cookie, where's the uncommon in that? It deserves a cookie... but then Insightful means I'm watching you because of the eye? :lol:

*A heart is just a heart so be careful thinking it means someone loves it/you online.

I think you misread my post because that is not what I said :)
    Anyway I just wanted to explain my post a little bit better in case it wasn't as clear as I thought, since English is not my first language. But I think it was actually very clear from the start.
    I don't know what your story with the word "love" is and why it seems like such a strong word for you, but "loving" can actually just mean "liking a lot". I love chocolate and I can assure you it is not as life changing as it sounds.

In any case tbh I don't really care if the "awesome" button means you like a post a lot or you just awesome it, whatever that means. I was more interested in the anonymous aspect of it and the fact I would like it better if it wasn't, so that people could see when I read and liked their posts without always having to write sth to aknowledge it.

dit: also "insightful" has a light and not an eye on it when you are on a phone. I had never realized before this discussion that the symbols were different!

@loutredor, You can change how the site looks on your phone to make it look like the desktop version. Up top on the left hand side where the "Home" button is, there is 3 little lines underneath that you can click on and it brings up a drop down menu where you can change it to the full site. Once you change over to the full site, then the Insightful button will have the Eye instead of the Light next to it

And as far as wanting to see who hit what button, well like I had explained earlier that it won't always be a good thing to do as it can cause more issues. Like take for an example if you post about you being sick with a cold or flu or someone that you knew had died and any other bad event that might occur in your life and someone hits Awesome to those posts and you see who they are. How are you going to react to those people that hit Awesome on such sad events? Are you going to call them out on it and ask why they did something like this? Don't get me wrong as I really don't think that you would do something like that but there are others who would that. Now if it was me and I had posted some bad news like that and noticed that this person or that person had hit Awesome, I think that I would like to know why they felt that my post deserved an awesome for but I wouldn't call them out on it for them to explain themselves.

I feel if someone is going to hit awesome for my bad news, then I think that they should explain why either in the thread that I had posted in or in a PM to me so that I don't get the wrong idea about that person. And I actually did have someone explain to me about why they did hit Awesome on a post about a celebrity dying. It wasn't because they were happy for that person's death, they were stating the fact that the celebrity was an Awesome singer while he was alive. So I was happy when it was explained why they had hit Awesome for such a sad post and not wondering why someone would hit Awesome for that type of post and move onto another post/thread.

Granted that this is a site about the Sims and that members shouldn't be posting about their personal stuff: i.e: death of family members or longtime friends and/or illnesses that they may have. But I believe that they do that because it helps to talk to others even if they are complete strangers to them as it helps in the healing process. Sure they could talk to people that they know in real life but sometimes when talking to real life friends, they tend to finally tell that person that it's time to move on and that it's time for them to stop talking about so and so dying or whatever it is that is bothering that person. But talking to complete strangers, they feel that they won't get that same type of treatment from them since the strangers know nothing about them except what they've posted in a comment about themselves.
    Erpe wrote: »
    I agree that LOL would be a nice button to have when somebody writes something funny that clearly is intended as a joke. But the problem with it is that LOL can and will be misused when people write something serious that somebody disagree with and hits LOL with the intention to mark the message as ridiculous. Therefore I don’t want this button and also because we can’t really see if it is used friendly or the opposite when somebody suddenly use it on a long message.

I know what you're saying here as there have been several times that I have seen posts/comments that made me laugh. Like when someone posts a funny meme or gif on their page or in a thread, I end up hitting Awesome for it and then explain how much I wish we had a lol button so that I can it for that funny picture. But then on the other hand, I don't want to see it back due to it being misused the way it was back in the day like when people had posted sad and/or tragic events in their lives and someone thought that the comment warrant a lol.

Now the other day, I had finally posted another update to my gameplay that I hadn't played in 3 months to the "What Happened in your TS3 game today?" thread. So this one member who most of us like over there in that thread made a comment about me posting and asking if I was okay and stating that I need to get back to playing some more or else they were going to send their army of clockwork penguins to attack my town...lol Well I was laughing so hard at that comment that I went and found a lol gif and posted it in my comment along with the comment that this made stating how it made me lol to his comment. So even if we don't have the lol button anymore, I go and find lol gifs and/or memes to show that I thought something was funny... :)
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I think disagree buttons are just useless. If you disagree with something, elaborate as to why. That's the point of a forum, to discuss things.
    Couldn’t agree more!

Yes, until people start crying about being bullied because someone has a differing opinion. It always happens. The disagree button was a lot better because one could just press it and move on. When they took it away, because of people thinking that folks should "own" their opinions, there was and is a great deal more fighting and arguing on the boards.

I don't know why people are in such desperate need of validation all the time that they only want to be agreed with. Healthy debate seems like a thing of the past because there is always someone who wants to cry "abuse" "bullying" or "victimisation"

I'm no longer all that bothered that it is gone, because the majority of people have seemed to prove they aren't mature enough to handle it, whether it's using it to troll or moaning about being hated because someone dared to disagree with their opinion.
    don't feel like there is a need for a dislike button.....

See, this is what I meant in my earlier post. It is NOT a dislike button. It was a disagree button. They are two different things.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
    Pary wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Couldn’t agree more!

Yes, until people start crying about being bullied because someone has a differing opinion. It always happens. The disagree button was a lot better because one could just press it and move on. When they took it away, because of people thinking that folks should "own" their opinions, there was and is a great deal more fighting and arguing on the boards.

I don't know why people are in such desperate need of validation all the time that they only want to be agreed with. Healthy debate seems like a thing of the past because there is always someone who wants to cry "abuse" "bullying" or "victimisation"

I'm no longer all that bothered that it is gone, because the majority of people have seemed to prove they aren't mature enough to handle it, whether it's using it to troll or moaning about being hated because someone dared to disagree with their opinion.
    don't feel like there is a need for a dislike button.....

See, this is what I meant in my earlier post. It is NOT a dislike button. It was a disagree button. They are two different things.
    Basically wholeheartedly agreeing with you there, I must confess I’m in a constant state of confusion over the fact so many people indeed seem to have a problem when others disagree with them (and explain why) or don’t share the same opinion. Making disagreeing anonymous for me however is just not a solution for that.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited June 2018

Some people talked about a dislike button so that's why I mentionned it. You can see my opinion on the disagree button on the present page.

@lisasc360 Thanks but I like the phone version when I am on my phone :) It's more convenient.
    Regarding your arguments for anonymity, I don't quite understand them. It is a very specific situation but if indeed someone tried to bully you by using the buttons ironically, I think it would be better that they could not be anonymous, and could be called for it. Being anonymous is what makes some people feel they can do and say anything they want.
    But I think in most cases your feeling of being bullied would most likely come from a misunderstanding, as you seem to interpret things a lot. In which case, wouldn't you prefer to be able to have a conversation with the person, so that they can explain their reasons, rather than continue on believing some people on the forums sent you hate? People can hit "awesome" on sad posts just because they thought they were very courageous or well written posts, and it could be for a billion other reasons other than malicious.
    I think in both situations not being anonymous would actually help.
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    I feel if someone is going to hit awesome for my bad news, then I think that they should explain why either in the thread that I had posted in or in a PM to me so that I don't get the wrong idea about that person.
    People can't always think of every possible interpretation others might have of their actions. I don't think they should explain everything they do, but rather that we should be able to ask them if we are confused or doubt their intentions.

Post edited by loutredor on

Some people talked about a dislike button so that's why I mentionned it. You can see my opinion on the disagree button on the present page.

@lisasc360 Thanks but I like the phone version when I am on my phone :) It's more convenient.
    Regarding your arguments for anonymity, I don't quite understand them. It is a very specific situation but if indeed someone tried to bully you by using the buttons ironically, I think it would be better that they could not be anonymous, and could be called for it. Being anonymous is what makes some people feel they can do and say anything they want.
    But I think in most cases your feeling of being bullied would most likely come from a misunderstanding, as you seem to interpret things a lot. In which case, wouldn't you prefer to be able to have a conversation with the person, so that they can explain their reasons, rather than continue on believing some people on the forums sent you hate? People can hit "awesome" on sad posts just because they thought they were very courageous or well written posts, and it could be for a billion other reasons other than malicious.
    I feel if someone is going to hit awesome for my bad news, then I think that they should explain why either in the thread that I had posted in or in a PM to me so that I don't get the wrong idea about that person.
    People can't always think of every possible interpretation others might have of their actions. I don't think they should explain everything they do, but rather that we should be able to ask them if we are confused or doubt their intentions.

I really don't think that I am misinterpreting anything as I had seen the attacks happening as well as the moderation team seeing them, which is why they had decided not to allow for us to see the names of the people who hit those buttons. Call it what you will but some members on this site did get bullied into removing their Disgrees/lol's from other members posting. The moderation is here to deal with such situations as bullying if someone feels that another member is trying to bully them by misusing the buttons. The moderation had already told us awhile back that if someone feels that this is happening to them that we should report it to them and that they would look into and deal with they way that they need to.

Here is a post that was created back in 2015 by SimguruDrake when the team had to disable the lol button due to the glitch that made it so that some members could see who hit what. SimGuruDrake had explained in the thread she had to remove the lol button until the team could fix the issue that was causing others to see the members names on those reaction buttons to keep people from attacking others.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/842831/lol-button-deactivated/p1

And like this thread that was also created in 2015 when someone wanted to talk about the lol button being incorrectly and so another member had suggested making the names seen so that it will discourage people from misusing and how others had explained that it still didn't stop the misuse of them when we could see the names. So just this proves that seeing the names won't stop people from misusing them.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/839484/people-using-lol-ironically-and-incorretly/p1

So it's been proven from time and time again that knowing who hit what isn't a very good idea. Sure we can argue this over and over again on what's best for this forum but in the end, it's the moderators decision to keep them private and only they can see who hit what and take whatever action that they need to if a member feels that someone is trolling them and misusing the buttons.

There are other threads out there discussioning this if you want to look them up and read the comments in them on why the disagree and lol got removed.

I really don't think that I am misinterpreting anything as I had seen the attacks happening as well as the moderation team seeing them, which is why they had decided not to allow for us to see the names of the people who hit those buttons. Call it what you will but some members on this site did get bullied into removing their Disgrees/lol's from other members posting. The moderation is here to deal with such situations as bullying if someone feels that another member is trying to bully them by misusing the buttons. The moderation had already told us awhile back that if someone feels that this is happening to them that we should report it to them and that they would look into and deal with they way that they need to.

Here is a post that was created back in 2015 by SimguruDrake when the team had to disable the lol button due to the glitch that made it so that some members could see who hit what. SimGuruDrake had explained in the thread she had to remove the lol button until the team could fix the issue that was causing others to see the members names on those reaction buttons to keep people from attacking others.

And like this thread that was also created in 2015 when someone wanted to talk about the lol button being incorrectly and so another member had suggested making the names seen so that it will discourage people from misusing and how others had explained that it still didn't stop the misuse of them when we could see the names. So just this proves that seeing the names won't stop people from misusing them.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/839484/people-using-lol-ironically-and-incorretly/p1

So it's been proven from time and time again that knowing who hit what isn't a very good idea. Sure we can argue this over and over again on what's best for this forum but in the end, it's the moderators decision to keep them private and only they can see who hit what and take whatever action that they need to if a member feels that someone is trolling them and misusing the buttons.

There are other threads out there discussioning this if you want to look them up and read the comments in them on why the disagree and lol got removed.

I never said there was no bullying, I just said that in the case that happened, being anonymous only made it worse, and so certainly wasn't the solution.
    As for when I said you misinterpreted I was talking about the situation with the Awesome button that happened to you and that you told yourself. I think it is a very different situation from the mass misuse of the buttons that apperently happened back then (I was already lurking on the forums when it happened but I wasn't experiencing first hand so I have no opinion on it)

I never said there was no bullying, I just said that in the case that happened, being anonymous only made it worse, and so certainly wasn't the solution.
    As for when I said you misinterpreted I was talking about the situation with the Awesome button that happened to you and that you told yourself. I think it is a very different situation from the mass misuse of the buttons that apperently happened back then (I was already lurking on the forums when it happened but I wasn't experiencing first hand so I have no opinion on it)

Well I'm not going to keep repeating myself on this matter and linking threads debating this issue about seeing/not seeing the names on the reaction buttons. All I'm going to say is that no matter how many times we discuss this, neither one of us is going to change our opinion on it as it would seem like that we're both set in our ways. So I guess we can both agree on that and leave it right here.
  • vgchatvgchat Posts: 101 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »
    kittymeow wrote: »
    They removed them because formers were abusing them and putting LOL when they shouldn't be. I think it caused a lot of upset.
    I'm quite aware of the cause but maybe there could be an option for those who are sensitive to disable certain reactions.
    I think the gurus should make a poll and let us decide

They already made a poll to let us decide. Didn't matter; they still took them away when people couldn't handle it. We've had two chances; they're never coming back.

But we have different moderation this time and i have trust on them

But nothing. It's already been done, deal with it.
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    vgchat wrote: »
    But nothing. It's already been done, deal with it.

It's not done. EA_Mage said she would listen to feedback. So c'mon everyone! Show us your funny!!
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2018
    I would think the reasoning behind not being able to see who disgreed or lol'd a post is because then people would get in their cliques and pm each other about so and so disliked their post or laughed...cliques are bad.

It breeds cliques who could gang up on one person, and write the other person and say things like 'why did you disgree with so and so etc.

It has happened, when you are just thinking 'good grief' I disagreed because I don't like the color blue...but I'm not allowed to dislike the color blue?' That has happened.

A bunch of people getting in a group to ask someone else who was just hitting a disgree button because they really did find something they disagreed about or thought was funny. But others could see their name, so they ganged up to demand answers of why they disagreed with a person who liked TS4 more than any other game... It happened often. It goes both ways. Those who could see nothing wrong with TS4 were seeing who disgreed it wasn't the greatest game ever, and ganged up on those who didn't like TS4. And I have no doubt some who didn't like TS4 may have ganged up on those who did.

But I would really hate to think if I can't handle a disagree button I'm not mature enough to be on the internet or out in public, because if we all thought the same and or looked the same it would be the land of Borg.

And bottom line maybe some of us should remember we aren't here to be 'liked' but to talk about a game , period, then it would be easier to see a disagree button or a lol, don't you think?

ETA: @JoAnne65, you know I think highly of you, however, I disagree with everything you said in an earlier post. :p If I had a disagree button I would have pushed it.

ETA: I want to share something with all of you who saw a lol misused in the past. Number one rule, don't tell your personal problems, this is not the place. I recently broke my own rule and lost my focus of why I come here. It's not for self gradification but to talk or find out about games. Period.

If we all remembered that, me included, then no feelings could be hurt over a lol button at the wrong time. That was no reason to take away the lol button in my opinion.

Argh silly internet too slow today clogging up my typing....lol. I also am not a believer in group punishment, over a few who laughed at someone's problems.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Cinebar The forums used to be bad for cliques and you could always tell who was talking to who as the same faces could pop up and attack you if you dared to disagree with someone. It did happen on both sides but fortunately that has stopped now or at least from were I am standing.

The forums are better these days compared to two, three or four years ago :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    @Cinebar The forums used to be bad for cliques and you could always tell who was talking to who as the same faces could pop up and attack you if you dared to disagree with someone. It did happen on both sides but fortunately that has stopped now or at least from were I am standing.

The forums are better these days compared to two, three or four years ago :smile:

Yes, I used to have a few 'fans' who loved to disagree with me and lol me wherever I went. If I couldn't see their name I wouldn't have known who they are. lol :o:D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    And bottom line maybe some of us should remember we aren't here to be 'liked' but to talk about a game , period, then it would be easier to see a disagree button or a lol, don't you think?
    lol button at the wrong time. That was no reason to take away the lol button in my opinion.

I agree with this. Personally I just emitted the idea of being identified when using the buttons because it would be convenient to show people you read their response; and I guess, to show if you agreed or disagreed with it after a conversasion, when you feel nothing left has to be said, could be convenient too. I cannot even begin to comprehend how people could be offended this bad by buttons, but honestly, considering the extreme reactions on this thread to a simple mention of those buttons, or of the topic of anonymity, I am beginning to think that maybe, indeed, it is not such a great idea. If people react this way on this thread there is no way they would react better if the buttons were used.
    Also I don't think people shouldn't talk about their personal problems on the forums, if they want to. But by doing that they have to be aware that they are talking to hundreds of unknown people, some of which might not be nice. Whether those people have a button, or simply words to use, is not going to change the fact that you can get insensitive reactions. If you feel a topic is important to you enough that other's reactions might hurt you, maybe you should consider not talking about it with strangers.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

Yes, I used to have a few 'fans' who loved to disagree with me and lol me wherever I went. If I couldn't see their name I wouldn't have known who they are. lol :o:D

I remember a certain incident on the forums a while back where a few things on this forum that should be hidden where exposed. These forums do certainly have a few characters! lol
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    I would think the reasoning behind not being able to see who disgreed or lol'd a post is because then people would get in their cliques and pm each other about so and so disliked their post or laughed...cliques are bad.

It breeds cliques who could gang up on one person, and write the other person and say things like 'why did you disgree with so and so etc.

It has happened, when you are just thinking 'good grief' I disagreed because I don't like the color blue...but I'm not allowed to dislike the color blue?' That has happened.

A bunch of people getting in a group to ask someone else who was just hitting a disgree button because they really did find something they disagreed about or thought was funny. But others could see their name, so they ganged up to demand answers of why they disagreed with a person who liked TS4 more than any other game... It happened often. It goes both ways. Those who could see nothing wrong with TS4 were seeing who disgreed it wasn't the greatest game ever, and ganged up on those who didn't like TS4. And I have no doubt some who didn't like TS4 may have ganged up on those who did.

But I would really hate to think if I can't handle a disagree button I'm not mature enough to be on the internet or out in public, because if we all thought the same and or looked the same it would be the land of Borg.

ETA: @JoAnne65, you know I think highly of you, however, I disagree with everything you said in an earlier post. :p If I had a disagree button I would have pushed it.

ETA: I want to share something with all of you who saw a lol misused in the past. Number one rule, don't tell your personal problems, this is not the place. I recently broke my own rule and lost my focus of why I come here. It's not for self gradification but to talk or find out about games. Period.

If we all remembered that, me included, then no feelings could be hurt over a lol button at the wrong time. That was no reason to take away the lol button in my opinion.

Argh silly internet too slow today clogging up my typing....lol. I also am not a believer in group punishment, over a few who laughed at someone's problems.

OMG! This right here was so bad back in the day. And I used to see these groups people making comments about so and so even though they didn't really come out and say people's names but we knew who they were talking about. Or even when certain people would comment on the activity feed and the people from the certain group/s would all comment on that users post only for that person to remove any unwanted comments from their posts.

And for anonymity, we already have this as we are not allowed to use real life pictures of ourselves unlike Facebook where people have the option to use or not use real life pictures.

I'm just happy when someone makes a comment about my updates that I do over in "The What Happened in your TS3 game today?" thread as that indicates that they have read my updates and had enjoyed them. Or even when someone comments over in the thread that I have for my SS story that I have been playing on since last year. Or even on comments and/or posts that have pictures in them on my wall/activity feed page... :)

@Cinebar As you know the respect is mutual ;) I’m genuinely glad you had to use words to tell me that though instead of just pressing an anonymous button, I can’t help but standing behind every word I said.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    This forum has been around for years now. Why haven’t they implemented the ability to get notifications when someone quotes you?

I don’t mean the option to turn on notifications when someone comments on a thread you commented on, which is how it works now, but just when you’re actually quoted. I mean, what exactly is the hold up.

I really hope they’re working on this.
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    As stated previously, the disagree button was never that important to me like the LOL button was. But if it is decided to bring it back, please let it be 'zagadoo'. Seeing that button always made me laugh.
  • husseinandalihusseinandali Posts: 2,622 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    This forum has been around for years now. Why haven’t they implemented the ability to get notifications when someone quotes you?

I don’t mean the option to turn on notifications when someone comments on a thread you commented on, which is how it works now, but just when you’re actually quoted. I mean, what exactly is the hold up.

I really hope they’re working on this.

You know i was thinking the same thing the other day it's really how that doesn't really notify the quoted one maybe we can ask @EA_Mage
    yondu-guardians1.jpg
    over here i post my cc
    new: https://simsworkshop.net/members/g1g2.1032/
    old: modthesims.info/m/8847624
    you may know me as g1g2

• TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    lol button at the wrong time. That was no reason to take away the lol button in my opinion.

I agree with this. Personally I just emitted the idea of being identified when using the buttons because it would be convenient to show people you read their response; and I guess, to show if you agreed or disagreed with it after a conversasion, when you feel nothing left has to be said, could be convenient too. I cannot even begin to comprehend how people could be offended this bad by buttons, but honestly, considering the extreme reactions on this thread to a simple mention of those buttons, or of the topic of anonymity, I am beginning to think that maybe, indeed, it is not such a great idea. If people react this way on this thread there is no way they would react better if the buttons were used.
    Also I don't think people shouldn't talk about their personal problems on the forums, if they want to. But by doing that they have to be aware that they are talking to hundreds of unknown people, some of which might not be nice. Whether those people have a button, or simply words to use, is not going to change the fact that you can get insensitive reactions. If you feel a topic is important to you enough that other's reactions might hurt you, maybe you should consider not talking about it with strangers.

It's far more unlikely that a person who would click 'lol' on the death of someone's pet or family member, would post *laughs at you* instead though. Just throwing that out there. Being anon is why those buttons were abused in the first place. Bullies aren't in a habit of bullying when they can get in trouble (moderated) for it, lol. At least, not for very long.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.