Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mistakes that shouldn't been repeated in The Sims Series

13...Next

Comments

• SimsAddict_244SimsAddict_244 Posts: 274 Member
    edited May 2018
    1. I consider waiting another 4/5 years for the traditional Pets/Seasons/Supernaturals/University EPs to be a big mistake. They should all be in the base game imo or at least add them progressively in free updates for pets and supernaturals. This way, they can work on different things Simmers have been asking for since day 1.

2. Leaving a complete life stage which had been there since the first game at launch. If they need more time to make it more in-depth, they should delay it as long a it need to be.

3. No pools/ghosts/cars/family tree/burglar/police/firefighter and other NPCs at launch. Again, if they need more time they should delay the game to integrate all those things.

4. Never let moodlets, emotions or whims override personalities. A problem I have with both S3 and S4 because they make the sims react the same way in all situations.

5. No CASt or a color wheel at least.

6. Only 3 traits to choose, 1 for toddlers and children. I'll go as far as saying 5 is not enough.

7. Not being able to move out part of the family in the library or in an empty lot. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

8. Sims somehow knowing their partner is whoohooing with another sims as soon as they are in the same lot, it was so frustrating.

9. All sims already having phones and constantly using them, especially for those who don't like technologies. I liked that we had to buy them first before using them.

10. Not having open restaurants.

11. No cleaning skill.

12. Rabbit holes.

13. Not being able to go to the hospital/police station beside work.

14. Not having meaningful relationships: enemies inviting the other to hang out, strangers inviting kids to go to nightclubs.

15. Having only 7 skills.

16. Not having the accessories and clothes separated in CAS.

17. Removing the "play" interaction.

18. Not being able to choose the aging setting between the premade families and NPCs.

19. Not being able to travel to the other worlds available once you choose where to live.

20. Neglecting the other life stages and focusing mainly on YA.
    Post edited by SimsAddict_244 on
  • DrearydearyDrearydeary Posts: 85 Member
    This may seem minor but it's something I noticed my first time playing ts4 and still bothers me now: when you fast forward time then music and tv fast forwards too, I use to always place a stereo in my game so I could listen to the sim music while I played but in ts4 it gets very annoying when you fast forward and switch to normal speed constantly, I just don't bother placing stereos anymore. And with tvs if I was raising their fun need I would watch the tv with them, now you have to have it at regular speed to watch it and that would take too long.
  • DestrxDestrx Posts: 49 Member
    Some of these might have already been said but here are mine...
    • The game feels underdone. Even with all of the current packs and expansions it feels some things are missing. I think it's slowly fixing itself but it's still sad to see a game with such large support levels and fan base get thrown under the bus for the sake of profit. As a fan of the series I'm not saying the game is bad - it just deserves more love and attention put into it.
    • I know this one has been said without a doubt, but the control and customization is limited exponentially compared to The Sims 3. When it was released it was probably at The Sims 2 level of customization, and if not, not much higher - and that's depressing to think about.
    • I appreciate that it seems recently they've been trying to communicate more with players but they should have been doing that from the beginning.
    • No open worlds; in some ways this could have been done successfully, including smaller base worlds with still enough in them to explore but in the end all we got was a road to walk down and a house to live in and that's pretty lame in comparison to what it could have been.
    • I don't like the idea of multiplayer in a Sims game. At least, not in a main series Sims game. If it was a side game like The Sims Medieval or The Sims Stories that would be pretty cool, but multiplayer in a base Sims game would probably take away from what The Sims originally was.
  • alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    Destrx wrote: »
    • The game feels underdone. Even with all of the current packs and expansions it feels some things are missing. I think it's slowly fixing itself but it's still sad to see a game with such large support levels and fan base get thrown under the bus for the sake of profit. As a fan of the series I'm not saying the game is bad - it just deserves more love and attention put into it.

It always baffles me when people say this now even with all the SP's, GP's, and EP's we have. In what way does the game feel underdone to you??? :o
    p6tqefj
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited June 2018
    This may seem minor but it's something I noticed my first time playing ts4 and still bothers me now: when you fast forward time then music and tv fast forwards too, I use to always place a stereo in my game so I could listen to the sim music while I played but in ts4 it gets very annoying when you fast forward and switch to normal speed constantly, I just don't bother placing stereos anymore. And with tvs if I was raising their fun need I would watch the tv with them, now you have to have it at regular speed to watch it and that would take too long.

I hate that too. There is no reason to distort the TV when fast forwarding.

I see a lot of you are talking about multiplayer. I think a live multiplayer would take too much away from the sims game. Remember Simcity 2013? Games are best played offline. Instead, we could share content. Say you are friends with someone... Sims created by your friends (or maybe even random people) can show up in your game and walk around (kind of like townies). These sims are not controlled by your friends, nor is there live interaction. You can then control these sims in the manage households screen, probably under a new tab. Hopefully that makes sense.

I would say that Sims 4 introduced a lot of neat things, but they did seem to cut corners on many things. Such as lack of cars, the overhaul of build mode (good and bad), no house phones and newspapers, and a bunch of nit picky things (although there is a lot of them). I think I am ok with closed world, as long as there is a lot of functionality on a lot. At first I was annoyed with the small worlds, but the ability to travel between worlds replaces the lost functionality of a large world. In some aspects, this system is neater than the large world.

One minor thing. Notice how in sims 2, teens got out of school at 1PM. In sims 3, it was 2PM. In sims 4 it is now 3PM. Can we pull back on the school a bit? That is too much learning! How about 1PM or 2PM?
    Post edited by Anthonydyer on
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Not a big thing, but an important detail nonetheless: I think that paddle foot is an eyesore and that it's time for Sims to finally have actual toes in TS5. Twenty years later, ten complete digits would be an accomplishment.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
    edited June 2018
    alexandrea wrote: »

It always baffles me when people say this now even with all the SP's, GP's, and EP's we have. In what way does the game feel underdone to you??? :o

I'll try to field this one:

Totally in my own opinion, the problem with TS4 is that it tends not to complete themes and details. Except for Vampires, every single theme that TS4 has ever tackled has been split into pieces in order to be sold in some further undisclosed pack.

For me, this is the biggest problem. They sold a pack called Kids Room Stuff and neglected to add a highly requested thing often found in children's rooms -- bunk beds.

The Seasons EP is adding pool parties. However, it looks like we'll be waiting how much longer for things like slides, pool floats, diving boards, and pool games such as Marco Polo, volleyball, and breath-holding contests.

The traditional pets pack was broken into cats and dogs only. How much longer before the theme will be completed with birds? Reptiles? Horses?

Apartments were released with City Living. They were touted as such a big deal. Still, the game was released without functional elevators, and apartments can not be custom built by the player. Apartment buildings do not actually exist in TS4. There are floating lots with the illusion of building built around them. Sims can't climb the steps out front, or enter the lobby, none of that. It's all an illusion. We're still waiting for the real deal so that we can add those to other worlds.

In other words, EA's marketing is making it so that it is difficult to complete certain themes without buying multiple pacts, for just the basics. We had to wait nearly four years just for a swing set which has typically been base game fare. And we still don't have either a pool table or a drum set. We're still waiting for so many things.

To me (aside from the fact that the Sims are the least responsive, intuitive, and immersive since the inception of the series), this is why the game tends to feel so incomplete. EA barely touches on a theme and then rushes off to introduce something entirely different before they've even really got to the meat of what they just introduced. It's tiresome and frustrating, to say the least.

In the previous games, by now, we would have had a choice of vacations -- adventure, seaside, winter, leisure. There would have been resorts or some kind of hotel system. We could have had an entire pantheon of supernaturals. Also, pool stuff, beach stuff, the ability to build apartments, to lounge in a chair, to treat an enemy as if they were an enemy and not a dear friend. By now, even if we didn't have open water swimming, we would have, at least, had the ability to build on a beach and add activities. The beaches of Windenburg and Brindleton Bay still remain bare, barren places with very little to do.

As further example, Granite Falls and Selvadorada have such similar functions that they could have been both added into one complete EP, instead of two packs that still don't manage to give the complete vacation experience. Notice that, JA relies heavily on items from Outdoor Retreat in order to fulfill the fantasy of being a jungle explorer. Meanwhile, other types of vacations are still somewhere off in some ephemeral "future".

It's not even to say that the packs are split up in this fashion in order to make them more substantive and comprehensive, because they're not.

This time around, EA always manages to dip in a toe, but never makes a real splash.
    Post edited by Cynna on
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • rambahadoerrambahadoer Posts: 405 Member
    @Cynna honestly i couldn’t have said it better city living is such a weird pack to me bc on one hand i love having my sims live in a apartment but on the other there aren’t any real ones and it’s not because of open world i mean ts2 had better apartments than late night with neighbours you could visit without a loading screen and a roommate system plus you could build your own so it wiuld never be the same but since city living is already here i donMt think they will add buildable apartments anymore sadly
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    @SimsAddict_244 I could see minor weather being added to a base game (showers/light breezes) but not full on scale Seasons, and certainly not the others. Look at all the people who've posted they don't want Pets or Seasons, and those who play "normal" who don't want anything supernatural, whether it's because they think it's plum or because of religious reasons. Unless you provide a way to turn off those features in game (meaning the purchasers will be paying for content they don't intend to use).

A base game should be just that -- the basic needs for playing the game. That means world(s), the Sims themselves (biggest mistake was leaving out toddlers IMO), a good foundation of skills and careers, things to do, etc.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    catitude5 wrote: »
    If they do multiplayer, I'm out. I don't want other people in my game.

Agreed. Multiplayer is not my style.
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Basically, they should do the complete opposite of what was done when TS4 released.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    I'm choosing to list the three things that I think have the biggest impact on my ability to fully enjoy Sims 4. These are root problems from the very early programming of the base game, so I feel they are some of the most important because they are probably nearly impossible to change.

1. A Sims game should never, ever default to a Utopian state. The whole purpose of playing a life simulation game is to be met with obstacles that make it a challenge to keep your Sim happy. Having those risks of failure are what keeps the player engaged. That's the entire premise of the "game" part. Otherwise, it isn't much of a game at all, it's a self-running simulation and pretty much omits the need for a player. If we start off with our Sims already winning, the challenge then becomes trying to get them out of their happiness and contentment and that doesn't make any sense.

2. Emotions should never override traits. A Sim's traits are what defines the personality of the individual Sim. If you have all Sims reacting the same way to generic circumstances, then you end up with cookie-cutter Sims who all act alike. Again, this ends up negating the need for player choices and the simulation continues to run itself, overriding the player's wishes.

3. If you're going to represent something, be thorough and balanced. For example, the emotions system is severely lacking in negatives, especially, especially Fear. How can you decide to make the main focus of a simulation game the Sims emotions and then leave out a chunk of the emotional spectrum? Our Sims occasionally go through the animation of fear, like when their house is on fire, but they never actually experience it. There's an entire piece of the emotional system missing that could have been deep and added more substance to personalities and reactions, but it doesn't even exist!

*claps back*

Love this.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited June 2018
    Removing the option for Open World. That's the main reason why I loved and still love TS3. You play with a town, not just a house.
    Only one loading screen, even if it was a little longer than the millions we encounter in TS4.

I hope in the future (The Sims 5) they'll reintroduce Open World, even if it's just a mix of TS3 and TS4. Computers will have the power to play an Open World Sims game without crashing or lags in the future.
    Having loading screens to visit your neighbor next door and another one to go back home just breaks the immersion.
    a256aFi.gif
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    Also adding some improvements to build mode (like curved foundations) while CUTTING literally every other innovative build feature from TS3. (curved pools, curved fountains, terrain tools, foundations on top of buildings, removing one floor tile instead of whole floor, stage tool, landing stage foundations, having one railing at stairs instead of two, etc...)
    a256aFi.gif
    edited June 2018
    @Cynna honestly i couldn’t have said it better city living is such a weird pack to me bc on one hand i love having my sims live in a apartment but on the other there aren’t any real ones and it’s not because of open world i mean ts2 had better apartments than late night with neighbours you could visit without a loading screen and a roommate system plus you could build your own so it wiuld never be the same but since city living is already here i donMt think they will add buildable apartments anymore sadly

Yup.

Though I highly favor San Myshuno, because I prefer city living, the City Living pack is one of the most egregious examples of an incomplete theme. They introduced apartments with a big marketing blitz only to back pedal and say, "Well, it really wasn't about apartments", or some such thing.

It was ridiculous. No elevators, no shells, no lobbies, no ability to create different kinds of multi-family dwellings, not even an opportunity to customize the cold, empty communal spaces... The only thing that was consistent was the loading screens, just to go across the hall.

Basically, what they sold was an illusion of something with no substance with the real features to follow, some day. Maybe.

Maybe is the watchword of the TS4 era.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • DestrxDestrx Posts: 49 Member

I suppose it's just the level of predictability that the game has. In The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 things felt like more of a surprise; the game was fun to explore and mess around with and ironically, the Sims felt more varied as far as personality and interactions goes. Things look nicer and feel smoother in The Sims 4, and as I said, it is slowly getting better...but as a game in a long series of games, you just expect more out of the box by now, you know? Perhaps I'm just being an entitled fan. *shrugs*
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited June 2018

It kinda varies from person to person, since we all have a genuine opinion on the game that what may or may not be lacking other than certain obvious features. With most packs you either love it, hate it or feels it needs some more improvements, since DLC is there just to add more to your gameplay experience if you're interested in it. Like with Supernatural in 3 for me? Not my kind of gamestyle and I just thought it was an overall lackluster and boring pack where others praised it. Just wasn't for me.

With the base game, it's the base game it should come with at least the basics or at least what's consider basic in consistency to previous games from one to another. Things like the burglar, fireman and police has been a base game feature and it's still missing. The game just wasn't ready for launch at the beginning. (Though I am happy simgurugrant confirmed the burglar has not been forgotten and is on their list of features to still implement back into the game).

I've been having fun with the game than any other and enjoying the packs I have bought, but at the same time I get anxious in waiting for that one thing I really want back in it. I have no problem in being patient, but at the same time I don't wanna feel like I waited for nothing.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited June 2018
    Cynna wrote: »

Totally in my own opinion, the problem with TS4 is that it tends not to complete themes and details. Except for Vampires, every single theme that TS4 has ever tackled has been split into pieces in order to be sold in some further undisclosed pack.

For me, this is the biggest problem. They sold a pack called Kids Room Stuff and neglected to add a highly requested thing often found in children's rooms -- bunk beds.

The Seasons EP is adding pool parties. However, it looks like we'll be waiting how much longer for things like slides, pool floats, diving boards, and pool games such as Marco Polo, volleyball, and breath-holding contests.

The traditional pets pack was broken into cats and dogs only. How much longer before the theme will be completed with birds? Reptiles? Horses?

Apartments were released with City Living. They were touted as such a big deal. Still, the game was released without functional elevators, and apartments can not be custom built by the player. Apartment buildings do not actually exist in TS4. There are floating lots with the illusion of building built around them. Sims can't climb the steps out front, or enter the lobby, none of that. It's all an illusion. We're still waiting for the real deal so that we can add those to other worlds.

Spot on! It's as if they have been cutting corners. Sims 2 had so many features to let you customize apartments. City living has so much potential.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    catitude5 wrote: »
    If they do multiplayer, I'm out. I don't want other people in my game.

If it's completely optional and if they don't lock content unless you play multiplayer (like they did with Simport) I'm okay with having it as an option for those who want it.

I'm ok with options too. I just don't want it forced on me.
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    No!, Never try multiplayer again... There's a reason why online multiplayer games have minimal NPCs that lack intelligence and often do virtually nothing, and it is that reason that will kill the sims.
    raw
  • GatochwegGatochweg Posts: 22 Member
    I have very mixed emotions about the sims 4. I sticked with the sims 4 ever since it was released because of the ease with witch sims could interact and communicate with each other.In the sims 3 it was a constant frustration to watch sims move around for an hour to find a place to have a group conversation, and then decide that it couldn't be done, even if there was plenty of room.
    Unfortunately everything in the sims 4 is that easy. Writing a book in an hour, really?
    On the other hand I'm a big fan of sims multitasking witch makes things even more easy.

An other frustration in the sims 3 was getting invited, driving for six hours to get there only to find that nobody is home. In the sims 4 there is still nobody home but at least it isn't an entire day wasted. I fell in love with the open world of sims 3 but I got irritated by it as well. Sims 4 gives us a compromise with small explorable pieces in stead of one giant one. (although there doesn't seem to be much to explore). That might have worked for me but why, WHY can't we build or own? Of all the sims games sims 4 is the least adjustable one and that bothers me greatly. For me makeability has always been the greatest attraction of the sims and now that seems to be sacrificed for looks. No CAS,no world builder,no building your own apartments. The city is beautiful but I would gladly settle for less good looking but more being able to build my own thing.

I actually like the emotions in sims 4. It gives me much pleasure to watch sims faces when they talk to each other. I even like the walks, but why are some of them so incredibly slow? Even at full speed it takes for ever to walk out of a neighborhood when a sim has to pee. It seems to me that playability is considered less important than the way things look. But at the same time objects, especially in base game are crude and ugly. Some look like the high poly lod is missing all together.
    Now I do prefer playing games that look good but there has to be some substance as well and after playing the sims 4 for a long time now I get more and more annoyed by the fact that everything seems to be just about looks. When you choose a character trait you may get an other line to use in conversations or maybe your sim may get to take a "lazy" nap in stead of just a nap or something like that but it is just different words, it doesn't change a thing.
    It seems to me that there isn't really any gameplay that is connected solely to a specific character trait. There is just the illusion of difference and that just isn't enough.