Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Problems With Sims Pack Clean Installer? Be Careful What You Delete.

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
edited June 2018 in The Sims 2
1. The last version sometimes doesn't know the category of custom content. It will say Unknown instead of object, clothes etc. Even Marylou and Numenor content you may have had in game for years.

2. Sometimes if I delete the pink copy of a recolor etc. I no longer have that cc in my game, due to I removed the 'copy'.

3. 80% of time if I install a lot/house etc. and answer No, to cc already in my game as I get the popups, I have to go back and remove the highlighted pink copy. It sometimes doesn't register the no answer. I never know when.

4. Store Content objects is highlighted in Red though it's not hacks or mods. (Red highlight was reserved for hacks and mods in the past)

5. Some store content is highlighted in Blue as unfinished Bodyshop projects, though you may not have even tried to recolor any Store content.

Just a fyi, from my own experience of the past two years with the last copy of SimsPK Clean Installer and a heads up. Trust, but verify each and every time. As I said listing things as a copy highlighted in pink may cause you to lose some custom content like clothes. Some things listed as hacks aren't, and some unknown objects are well known of what they are and where they belong in the category, and somtimes it reinstalls cc you told it not to do.

ETA: From my own experience until you are 100% sure of any of the above, it's better to disable with Simspk clean installer (instead of remove) until you double check if it really is a copy of cc, if it is really a hack, and if it's really unfinished cc, or if it's reinstalling cc you answered no to install.
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2018
    Update: After some research over at MTS, these problems usually happen when you have the TM version of TS2UC installed...however, I don't. So, if anyone out there wants to tweak this program (with Mootilda's permission of course), I wish they would, because I depend on this tool to do stuff right so I don't have a hundred spawned copies of the same cc, though I said no, don't install it...that is directly related to the TM version of TS2UC..but again I don't have TS2UC TM version installed. Simspk Clean Installer version 1.6.22 is the problem. 1.6.21 update added the color blue to store content as unfinished bodyshop projects....bad idea in my opinion. ETA: I don't mean to be a grump...but they have no idea how many times I have removed HolySmoly Curtain recolors from my downloads....he made a lot and doubling those or tripling those are tiresome to remove. :p (I thought I was losing it...no, it's not ,me, it's you version 1.6.22

Another example Kativip made hundreds of recolor for roof or windows or just a door etc...imagine seeing those spawn over and over....Someone please fix SimsPK Clean installer some day.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Update: After some research over at MTS, these problems usually happen when you have the TM version of TS2UC installed...however, I don't. So, if anyone out there wants to tweak this program (with Mootilda's permission of course), I wish they would, because I depend on this tool to do stuff right so I don't have a hundred spawned copies of the same cc, though I said no, don't install it...that is directly related to the TM version of TS2UC..but again I don't have TS2UC TM version installed. Simspk Clean Installer version 1.6.22 is the problem. 1.6.21 update added the color blue to store content as unfinished bodyshop projects....bad idea in my opinion. ETA: I don't mean to be a grump...but they have no idea how many times I have removed HolySmoly Curtain recolors from my downloads....he made a lot and doubling those or tripling those are tiresome to remove. :p (I thought I was losing it...no, it's not ,me, it's you version 1.6.22

Another example Kativip made hundreds of recolor for roof or windows or just a door etc...imagine seeing those spawn over and over....Someone please fix SimsPK Clean installer some day.

Impossible nowadays to get Mootilda's permission as she's passed away. Unless it's easy to get to the code of the clean installer, someone will probably have to start from scratch for a version that works with the TM version of the UC. And if that's not even everyone with the UC, I wouldn't hold my breath on it being updated.
    Seera1024 wrote: »

Impossible nowadays to get Mootilda's permission as she's passed away. Unless it's easy to get to the code of the clean installer, someone will probably have to start from scratch for a version that works with the TM version of the UC. And if that's not even everyone with the UC, I wouldn't hold my breath on it being updated.

Oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't know. I was never in a loop where I knew what had happened to any of the famous modders. I feel terrible about this. But the tool is very buggy and really I wish someone would repair it.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,094 Member
    edited July 2018
    I use this program and haven't had any of the problems you've described. It always works fine and installs or doesn't install what I check or uncheck, no duplicates or anything. It seems to label things correctly. And I don't even know what this TM version is? So I assume, I'm running the same UC as you. It could just be luck, since that's been known to happen in the Sims world, but I also wonder if it's somehow CC related? Maybe everything I've installed using it has just been so pristine it hasn't had a problem? I have no idea. But maybe a bump will find you someone else who knows something or has had this same experience.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    I use this program and haven't had any of the problems you've described. It always works fine and installs or doesn't install what I check or uncheck, no duplicates or anything. It seems to label things correctly. And I don't even know what this TM version is? So I assume, I'm running the same UC as you. It could just be luck, since that's been known to happen in the Sims world, but I also wonder if it's somehow CC related? Maybe everything I've installed using it has just been so pristine it hasn't had a problem? I have no idea. But maybe a bump will find you someone else who knows something or has had this same experience.

It's a problem some complained about for the TM version. Look at your The Sims 2 Ultimate file name, if it has a TM (Origin version) these problems do exist. It will look like this The Sims TM 2 Ultimate Collection. It seems specific to the TM versions. So, I recheck and though I had removed TM in the register it reloads that when finishing the game and reloaded, the TM comes back and wipes the plain TS2UC version (replaces my saves) and replaces with a new TM version/unplayed.

But that's another problem. This is specific to the TM versions according to MTS.

• kaitlyn0kaitlyn0 Posts: 512 Member

It's a problem some complained about for the TM version. Look at your The Sims 2 Ultimate file name, if it has a TM (Origin version) these problems do exist. It will look like this The Sims TM 2 Ultimate Collection. It seems specific to the TM versions. So, I recheck and though I had removed TM in the register it reloads that when finishing the game and reloaded, the TM comes back and wipes the plain TS2UC version (replaces my saves) and replaces with a new TM version/unplayed.

But that's another problem. This is specific to the TM versions according to MTS.

THIS is what must have happened to me! @JULES1111
    edited July 2018
    This week (just so others can understand) I installed some of my older builds from 2011 into my game. (Houses) I used the Clean Installer to install them and it only ask me a few questions about any walls, tiles or objects in those houses. Like such and such is already installed did I want to go ahead and install the content from the house. I said no, of course, well I ran the program to check if it kept the duplicates out..no.

I had three or four copies of Almost Jade flooring from TS1 (which was a tile in one house) a few copies of objects I told it not to reinstall etc.

If it's my own lots I have packaged to file then decided to reinstall so I can put them in a new custom hood, the Clean Installer is hit and miss and may install any cc in that lot even if I said No. As I said, I wish someone could fix this. I have so much cc I don't really have time to run the clean installer daily to delete duplicates I told it not to do/install.

It seems it can't catch duplicates or even if you say No, it adds them anyway if it's one of your own packaged lots more often than not.

ETA: This may also happen because let's say I install a packaged lot (my own) and one says (older) Season's Version, or AL version in the description..then the Installer may not be able to see that stuff/cc is already in downloads since it's not the M&G version etc. Just a theory.

ETA: Clarity, if you select lot file you see which EP you had when you built the lot. Like up to Seasons it will say Seasons. So, if you install that lot and any cc in that file the CI may not catch any or just a few, but still install them though you said no.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,094 Member
    edited July 2018

I'll have to keep an eye out for it then! Thanks. As of right now mine doesn't say that. But, I've managed to avoid Origin for quite a while. That's not likely to last forever, so this is good info to have.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
    edited July 2018
    Yeah, mine didn't say TM either until one day last month and I have no idea how that happened since I don't have Origin installed. :o I saw it when I went looking for answers about clean installer problems and ran across the TM versions has issues with clean installer and double checked mine. :/

I just tested this again yesterday and yes, I installed a house (one of my old ones) I knew had some walls and floors I already had in my downloads so I selected Lot File Only and I be darn there were the duplicates in the downloads, again. :/