March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your custom holidays

Sorry if a thread like this already exists, but I couldn't find one, so...
What are your plans and ideas for custom holidays once you get your hands on Seasons?

Personally, I'm a fan of both Halloween and All Hallows' Day in real life, but having two so similar holidays in a row seems a little silly for the Sims, so I'll combine them and call the result All Hags' Eve (or, in my language, Allerhexen). It will be a holiday to visit the cemetery, remember the dead and maybe even summon their spirits if that's an option, all while dressing up as witches and zombies and all kinds of living, dead, and undead supernaturals to blur the line between the realms of the living and the dead.

I'm also thinking about building a futuristic community lot inspired by the Citadel from Mass Effect, and that's where some kind of alien holiday or festival could take place. I already have a couple of Asari in my game that could oversee that one.

What about you?

Comments

• miss_simlishmiss_simlish Posts: 460 Member
    Your seasons already seem so much more creative than anything I've thought of!

Mostly I just want all the standard holidays (Harvest Fest, Winter Fest, Love Day, whatever "Easter" holiday there is with the bunny and eggs). I'll also add a Halloween if it's not standard, though I'll probably call it Spooky Day to keep with the Sim Theme. :D

The only other Holiday I know I'll add is an Independence Day of some kind in summer. I haven't thought of a sim name for it yet! In America, for anyone who doesn't know, we have Independence Day on the 4th of July. We grill food, go swimming, general summer fun activities. Also, fireworks! Which I will finally use from City Living. :)
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited June 2018
    I know for sure that I will have some of the biggest holidays such as Halloween, Dia de los Muertos/Day of the Dead, Christmas, 4th of July for some sims, etc....plus birthdays, wedding anniversaries, etc...

But I also want to create my own such as vampire appreciation day (if I can find some traditions that will work for them) and others that I might think of once we get Supernatural and other game packs.
    Post edited by XxAirixX on
  • lexus20lexus20 Posts: 1,302 Member
    I want to recreate Winterfest (Christmas) and New Years in summer instead of winter, as I live in the southern hemisphere, I want to create Easter as well, Independence Day, Labour Day, maybe a Family Day (as I'm not sure if Mother's Day or Father's Day is possible), etc.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I think I'll rename winterfest to Christmas (I don't like the name winterfest) - might do something similar with harvestfest (why always -fest at the end? I know it's an abbreviation but it makes me think of infestations)

Also I'll do Valentines day, new year's eve (not sure about new year's day), Hallowe'en and I might make the solstices and equinoxes minor holidays (would be difficult to make them major holidays when the hrs of daylight doesn't change. It should change.)
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Cynel1Cynel1 Posts: 1,389 Member
    a Few Drafts on holidays i came up with
    (spring) Founders day = Sims Birthday February 4

(summer) Fireworks day = 4th of july

(Fall) Skull day = Day of the dead
    Oh I forgot - bonfire night. I'm adding that.

I wonder if having bonfires and setting off fireworks are options for holiday traditions.
  • Cynel1Cynel1 Posts: 1,389 Member
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    I know for sure that I will have some of the biggest holidays such as Halloween, Dia de los Muertos/Day of the Day, Christmas, 4th of July for some sims, etc....plus birthdays, wedding anniversaries, etc...

But I also want to create my own such as vampire appreciation day (if I can find some traditions that will work for them) and others that I might think of once we get Supernatural and other game packs.

you mean Day of the dead
  • dopaminedroiddopaminedroid Posts: 169 Member
    I'm really curious to see what traditions are going to be included in the pack, that's going to determine how creative we can be with the holiday system. Though I'm sure the modding community will add a ton of traditions. I'm a bit sad that it seems we can't specify for the traditions who can do them and to whom. We could for example make a mothersday if we could specify that children give gifts to their mothers or more generally to female adults, for example.
    We can create an April Fools probably.
    I'd create a summer vacation multiple days in a row where kids don't have school and do summer activities.
    I can't think of anything more creative right now.

-OneGrilledCheese @ the gallery-
  • 12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    Winter (December, Jaunary and February)
    • Christmas Day
    • New Year's Day
    • Valentine's Day

Spring (March, April, May)
    • St. Patrick's Day
    • Easter Day
    • Mother's Day
    • Memorial Day

Summer
    (June and July)
    • Father's Day
    • Independence Day

Fall (October and November)
    • Halloween Day
    • Thanksgiving Day
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    I'm thinking that Summer will have some sort of Sim Day celebration - like a national holiday. And my Aliens could use a holiday that's just for them.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    I might do some kind of BBQ party thing in the summer.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited June 2018
    I want to add Solstices as well as all the traditional holidays. The more celebrations, the better!

Valentines (Romance Day): romantic presents, romantic restaurants, spa days, date night.

St Patricks Day: Decorating everything in green.

Easter: Egg hunt, buying plush bunny toys. Feast brunch. Possibly other interactions with custom content.

April Fools Day: Dedicated to jokes and pranks, and perhaps grilled cheese.

Spring Solstice (May Day): Dancing around a May Pole object (probably custom content), burning floral incense, gathering flowers and making bouquets.

Summer Solstice (Picnic Day): Summer picnic and BBQ in the park, bonfires, hot dog and marshmellow roast. If they add watermelon, definitely eating watermelon on this day.

Halloween: Pumpkin carving, costume parties.

Fall Solstice: (Feast Day or Thanksgiving) Harvest feast, Fallen leaves themed activities, roller skating, Baking of bread.

Winter Solstice: (Snow Day) Snow and ice themed activities and decorating with holiday lights. Dance parties.

Christmas: Tree decorating, gifts. Possibly other interactions with custom content.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • brackencat31brackencat31 Posts: 318 Member
    Definitely Bonfire night, everyone wrapped up warm, cosying up around the fire, watching fireworks, eating hotdogs and drinking hot chocoloate. I hope this possible, every autumn I ve tried to have sims throw a bonfire party but it’s always been frustrating as the weather never changes, so I can’t wait for seasons to recreate one of my favourite events.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    For my self-employed/business owner sims I'm going to add a take your sons & daughters to work day.
  • AndreaTheHeroAndreaTheHero Posts: 578 Member
    I want all the traditional US holidays so if any are missing I will try to recreate them. April fools day has a lot of potential. Earth day would be cool to have with the new gardening stuff. If we have the ability to make a purge day or a Friday the 13th I will definitely try that too.
    I now have the added complication of wanting to celebrate the solstices and equinoxes, but not as standalone events as it would make for more holidays that I want, so I'm having to figure out how to incorporate them into other holidays.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I'll probably do the solstices. I'm definitely doing Festivus with the Air Grievances tradition being included. I'll also do a Labor Day mock-up on the last Monday of summer. That will be fun.
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    Fall
    Remembrance Day (Beginning of fall) - A day to remember the dead. I'm not sure how I'll implement this yet until I see what kind of options we have.
    Spooky day (Middle Autumn - Halloween) A day sims will dress in costumes and decorate their house with spooky decor. Invite family and friends over for a scary party.
    Turkey Day (Late Autumn - Thanksgiving) Will invite family over to eat all kinds of good food (lots of turkey) and watch the sports channel.

Winter
    Winter Fest (Early Winter - Christmas) Leading up to this day they will decorate the tree and leave cookies out for Santa. Will open gifts with family and spend the day doing outdoor activities with their family.
    New Years (Middle of Winter) Will throw a party and celebrate a new year with family and friends while watching the countdown.
    Creation Day (Sime 1 came out- End of Winter) Kind of like a big birthday party for all sims without gifts. They spend time with family and friends and eat cake while decorating the house in balloons and streamers. Lots of different desserts to choose from too!

Spring
    Love Day (Early Spring- Valentines Day) Sims will surprise their loves with flowers and gifts and take them out for a nice dinner and maybe end with woohoo.
    Egg Day (Middle Spring- Easter) Sim children will anxiously await the Bunny to come and give them gifts and they will search for eggs in the yard. (not sure if we have a bunny npc or not or egg hunts so this may change) Maybe decorate eggs and eat eggs.
    Lucky/Green Day (End of Spring - St. Patrick's day for Sims) Sims will dress in green and wear funny outfits and adults will drink and be silly.

Summer
    Prank Day (Early Summer - April Fools) All sims will have fun pranking each other and doing some sort of mischief.
    Parent's day (Middle Summer- Mother and Father's day together) A day when sims will honor their parents by inviting them over or to the park to cook out (usually hot dogs and hamburgers). They may also give their parents gifts.
    Freezer Bunny Day (Late Summer- replacement for 4th of July) They will eat ice cream, play in the pool, cookout, and go see the fireworks. It's a special celebration for all sims.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Sorry if a thread like this already exists, but I couldn't find one, so...
    What are your plans and ideas for custom holidays once you get your hands on Seasons?

Personally, I'm a fan of both Halloween and All Hallows' Day in real life, but having two so similar holidays in a row seems a little silly for the Sims, so I'll combine them and call the result All Hags' Eve (or, in my language, Allerhexen). It will be a holiday to visit the cemetery, remember the dead and maybe even summon their spirits if that's an option, all while dressing up as witches and zombies and all kinds of living, dead, and undead supernaturals to blur the line between the realms of the living and the dead.

I'm also thinking about building a futuristic community lot inspired by the Citadel from Mass Effect, and that's where some kind of alien holiday or festival could take place. I already have a couple of Asari in my game that could oversee that one.

What about you?

Cool Down Day especially since I have the waterslide and will have sprinklers.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    12JEREMIA wrote: »
    Winter (December, Jaunary and February)
    • Christmas Day
    • New Year's Day
    • Valentine's Day

Spring (March, April, May)
    • St. Patrick's Day
    • Easter Day
    • Mother's Day
    • Memorial Day

Summer
    (June and July)
    • Father's Day
    • Independence Day

Fall (October and November)
    • Halloween Day
    • Thanksgiving Day

Independence Day will really depend on patriotic clothing and items. Now bowling stuff has some red white and blue shoes and I think a bowling jacket.
  • LucyCatxLucyCatx Posts: 51 Member
    Winter- christmas, some kind of winter ball, new years eve, winter break

Spring- valentine's day, st. patrick's day, spring break, cleanup day, Easter

Summer- summer break, pool party/barbeque, memorial day, mothers/fathers day, independence day

Fall- halloween, thanksgiving, labor day, remembering the dead/ancestors day,

my sims are going to have alot of holidays lol
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    Cynel1 wrote: »
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    I know for sure that I will have some of the biggest holidays such as Halloween, Dia de los Muertos/Day of the Day, Christmas, 4th of July for some sims, etc....plus birthdays, wedding anniversaries, etc...

you mean Day of the dead

Typo.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    I'm thinking that Summer will have some sort of Sim Day celebration - like a national holiday. And my Aliens could use a holiday that's just for them.

Pollination Day - The day aliens discovered that SimEarthers could carry their young and the species was saved.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited June 2018
    I think there is a thread like this but whatever :)

Mine will be the general holidays (gift giving, new year's, spooky day, love day, harvestfest). And like one summer & winter holiday period for everyone of a few days each. I'd also like to do a Forgotten Hollow Founder Day for Vlad, Kid day, Mother's and Father's day and maybe some family-/save-specific traditions. Say if the owner of a popular restaurant dies, they'll come together each year to remember him together.

ETA: actually, since I still want them to have to "take" vacation days, I might do one Family Day instead of Mother's / Father's / Kids' Day where everyone has a day off. A day designed to make the whole family spend time with each other & do activities with the immediate live-in family (given that extended family will already come around for Gift Giving, New Year's & Harvestfest). Also, spooky day, love day & most family-/save-specific holidays will probably not include days off for everyone but just be normal workdays, since they're not "national" holidays so to speak, but the other type of holidays where you still have to go to work :D Cause with Family Day + 4-5 days of winter holidays (which will include Gift Giving + New Year's) + Harvestfest + 4 days of summer holidays, my sims will already have 10-11 vacation days as it is. If the year at max setting is 84 days (at least I think we can set one season to last max. 3 weeks = 12 weeks for a year), that should be enough official time off for everyone. Mostly because I want sims who'd like to go on vacation for a longer period of time to actually have to earn more days off first.
    edited June 2018
    I've been giving this a lot of thought, perhaps too much (while overtired last night I had a philosophical debate with myself over the moral implications of setting holidays for my sims but not allowing them the day off work) and finally I've figured it out:

Spring
    - Walpurgisnacht: eggs and bonfires welcome, combining the vernal equinox and the restarting of life within nature with other elements, such as the influence of pancake day; sims have a traditional meal of pancakes. Bob's presence is optional.

- Love day: like Valentine's, but without the emphasis on romantic love - a day to celebrate all types of love, with whoever sims love, and in whatever way they love them - think a combination of Valentine's crossed with a celebration of family and friends.

Summer
    - SimNation day: celebrating the founding of sim nation. However long ago it was and however it happened, it happened on this day. A day for sims to celebrate being sims.

- Midsummer BBQ: marking the longest and hottest day of the year with BBQing and inviting people round. Basically a celebration of the summer solstice combined with an Australian influence of BBQing food.

Autumn
    - Equinox harvest: a combination of the autumn equinox and harvestfest.

- Hallowe'en: falling exactly opposite Walpurgisnacht in the calendar, so as to represent the balance within nature of live and death, Hallowe'en marks the death of somethings in nature, combined with the concepts of day of the dead and spooky day. Hallowe'en parties will be happening!

Winter
    - Midwinter/Christmas: basically, it's Christmas, combined with the winter solstice

- New year: the main objective is to count down to midnight, probably at a party. Got too complicated trying to decide whether new year's eve and new year's day should both be holidays so there's just the one new year holiday.
    Post edited by BabySquare on