Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 2 Windows 7-10 Fixes

Comments

• JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    edited June 2018
    I have the Ultimate Collection. My problem is that I get an error message saying I lack memory every time I try to start the game, and I have no neighborhoods. I know about the 4GB patch, but I'm missing a "Game" folder in my installation.

yod0SD5.png

You are not missing any folders there, they are the same ones I have. Have you done the graphic rules? If you have a newerish graphics card (so far we have noticed issues with GTX960 and above) you will still have to alter files by hand. Link to instructions for that here: http://simlili.tumblr.com/post/146373494212

Make sure the video card and graphic rules files are correct, and to put them in both the Config and CSconfig folders. That could be the cause of the memory error (it just isn't picking up the graphics card) As for no neighborhoods, this fix works for that.

You need to open regedit (Window+R) and open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then SOFTWARE

For 32 - Bit : Find EA GAMES folder and open the sims 2... change the Display Name... Delete the ™ out... and the problem is solved...

For 64- Bit : Open Wow6432Node then.. Find EA GAMES folder and open the sims 2... change the Display Name... Delete the ™ out... and the problem is solved...

Before it's should look like this : The Sims 2™ Ultimate Collection

After : The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection

Before doing anything have you tried to repair game in Origin? Warning: repairing game sets all of its files back to original form. So make copies of any folder you have already changed, including the .exe if you used the 4gb patch.
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    So can anyone help me about the problem with lag that I had? I think it is a windows 10 compatibility issue. Is it that graphic rules thing? Would that damage my computer?

No graphic rules will not damage your computer at all. It only changes game files to help the game pick up your graphics card. You can actually delete the program once changes have been made. Like I said above it doesn't work 100% with newerish cards. So you may have to alter some files by hand. What kind of lag are you having? It may not be a graphics issue. When did you download UC? If it was more then maybe 6 months ago, Securom might be your issue, as it wasn't removed from the download until late last year.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,585 Member
    edited June 2018
    @XxAirixX wrote: »
    So can anyone help me about the problem with lag that I had? I think it is a windows 10 compatibility issue. Is it that graphic rules thing? Would that damage my computer?

It won't damage your computer.
    Also, you don't give any information about your computer, nor about how much CC, nor how big the lot is or how much is on the lot or if you have edited your game at all... or if you even have any mods. What is a 'busy' lot?

I can't help with Computer info but to use the Graphics Rules Maker, you can't have a really new graphics card.
    I have the Ultimate Collection. My problem is that I get an error message saying I lack memory every time I try to start the game, and I have no neighborhoods. I know about the 4GB patch, but I'm missing a "Game" folder in my installation.

yod0SD5.png

I would go to Origin have have it check your game. It might not have install correctly.

Which game folder are missing?

• XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited June 2018
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    @XxAirixX wrote: »

It won't damage your computer.
    Also, you don't give any information about your computer, nor about how much CC, nor how big the lot is or how much is on the lot or if you have edited your game at all... or if you even have any mods. What is a 'busy' lot?

I can't help with Computer info but to use the Graphics Rules Maker, you can't have a really new graphics card.

I have no cc, I actually uninstalled the game because I couldn't get it to work. It is the UC version from origins, so it isn't the disc version.

I don't know much about my computer besides it being a Dell, has windows 10, is a laptop (it runs most games like Skyrim and Sims 4 fine though). I am pretty sure it is 64 bit and core i5? It has over 900 GB and still plenty of space left (like almost half). It is a newer laptop, about a year old. I am not really a computer expert, so my knowledge is a bit limited.

I think the lot was medium (I uninstalled the game; but the house was a few stories tall with a backyard that had a pool). The problem is when ever there are a lot of sims in any area (like over for a party and sims are all invited), it lags the game. If my sim goes to another lot of any kind in town that it is busy, it lags. When there are no other sims, then it ran fine. I think it might have to do with graphics due to incompatibility as the old laptop had less GB and the game ran fine. That or maybe something is missing or didn't install right (I never gotten any error messages though). I never heard of the 4 GB patch, so I never used it. Should I try installing it again and use that?
    edited June 2018
    JULES1111 wrote: »

No graphic rules will not damage your computer at all. It only changes game files to help the game pick up your graphics card. You can actually delete the program once changes have been made. Like I said above it doesn't work 100% with newerish cards. So you may have to alter some files by hand. What kind of lag are you having? It may not be a graphics issue. When did you download UC? If it was more then maybe 6 months ago, Securom might be your issue, as it wasn't removed from the download until late last year.

I downloaded the UC back in 2014 (it was part of that event Origins was doing for a short period of time). So it was over 6 months ago; but was, so maybe that could of been the issue. I didn't see Securom installed in apps programs (unless it located elsewhere), unless it was in the game folder when the game was installed. I uninstalled the game because of the issue. The computer I am using is pretty new, about a year old.

The lag usually happens when there are many sims on the lot (like when throwing a party or when you go travel to some venues and sims are around). It would barely move (not frozen; it is so slow it almost seems like it is. Hard to explain. But it took a really long time for a sim to do anything as that is how slow it was). The family home was fine though when it is just them (I think there were four sims in the household in total).

Edit-I am going to try installing it again from origins and see if the problem is Securom.

I downloaded the UC back in 2014 (it was part of that event Origins was doing for a short period of time). So it was over 6 months ago; but was, so maybe that could of been the issue. I didn't see Securom installed in apps programs (unless it located elsewhere), unless it was in the game folder when the game was installed. I uninstalled the game because of the issue. The computer I am using is pretty new, about a year old.

The lag usually happens when there are many sims on the lot (like when throwing a party or when you go travel to some venues and sims are around). It would barely move (not frozen; it is so slow it almost seems like it is. Hard to explain. But it took a really long time for a sim to do anything as that is how slow it was). The family home was fine though when it is just them (I think there were four sims in the household in total).

Edit-I am going to try installing it again from origins and see if the problem is Securom.

Even if you uninstall and reinstall the game you will still have Securom on your computer. You need a special program to remove it, it installs with the game (or used too)but is not located in the game files, it installs elsewhere, and hides. You need to know where to look to see if it is installed. At least if you reinstall the game, you will only need to remove it, and not have to take any steps to stop it from reinstalling itself when you launch the game.

If I were you I would remove Securom. It is easy and only takes a second. You can google Leefish Securom removal (we can't post links to there) for instructions and links to the program. They are safe I used them myself, along with a bunch of other people. You can uninstall the Securom removal tool when you are finished with it. Getting rid of registy keys in step 2 on the Leefish forum page is optional. The keys do nothing, but will stay in your pc registry if you don't want to remove them. Again that is simple, and you can chuck the program when finished. You don't need to worry about the last step there if you are reinstalling, becouse Securom has been removed from new downloads.

Reinstall (I suppose you have already started this anyway)

Do the graphic rules, it helps with the game, not only getting your card recognized, so you have all the graphic options, but allowing the game to have more texture memory. (you might have to alter some by hand though depending on your card)

Use the 4GB patch. It is perfectly safe, and allows the game to have 4GB of memory, instead of the 2GB it is using now.

I think getting rid of securom, and using the patch should stop any lag you might be having. Also I don't know if you play in offline mode in Origin or not, that might help a little as well.

edited June 2018
    Alright, I removed Securom with the tool and did the graphic thing and tried the 4 gb patch; but now it won't launch at all. I think it is set to run with administrator and it asks me if it wants me to run the program (doesn't matter if I use origin or the shortcut on desk top); but it doesn't seem to want to run.

Edit-I tweaked the graphic rules setting a bit and got it working. I guess it was just experimenting.
  • Azarinop2Azarinop2 Posts: 776 Member
    Wait is it solved?? :D Ya the graphic rules does not work with many more recent graphics cards, it has to be done by hand. I only used graphic rules so it could fetch the hex number from my graphics card, so I wouldn't have to search for it, then did alterations from there by hand. I hope you have it figured out now though and be able to play. Ironically the last update UC had was supposedly to get it to make it more compatible with 10... I have only seen it make things worse. :/ Glad I never updated *shews EA away*

The fix was to avoid Graphics Rules Maker and to use the 4GB patch. My game finally works!
    Me on a spiritual level
    30vnk7k.gif
    Alright, I removed Securom with the tool and did the graphic thing and tried the 4 gb patch; but now it won't launch at all. I think it is set to run with administrator and it asks me if it wants me to run the program (doesn't matter if I use origin or the shortcut on desk top); but it doesn't seem to want to run.

Edit-I tweaked the graphic rules setting a bit and got it working. I guess it was just experimenting.

Yay glad you got it working. You don't need to run it as administrator, but if it runs fine like that don't mess with what's working. :D

Azarinop2 wrote: »
    Wait is it solved?? :D Ya the graphic rules does not work with many more recent graphics cards, it has to be done by hand. I only used graphic rules so it could fetch the hex number from my graphics card, so I wouldn't have to search for it, then did alterations from there by hand. I hope you have it figured out now though and be able to play. Ironically the last update UC had was supposedly to get it to make it more compatible with 10... I have only seen it make things worse. :/ Glad I never updated *shews EA away*

The fix was to avoid Graphics Rules Maker and to use the 4GB patch. My game finally works!

Hurray! Glad you got your game working as well.

I hope you both can just sit back and enjoy it now!
    edited June 2018
    @Azarinop2 wrote: »

Avoid Graphics Rules Maker? How was GRM in the way? :(
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    @Azarinop2 wrote: »

Avoid Graphics Rules Maker? How was GRM in the way? :(

I was wondering this myself, but hey! Working is working! :D
    Alright. I tested the game last night and despite some minor issues, it seems to be working much better now! Thanks so much for the help. :)

So far I was able to throw small parties, a couple gotten married and had a baby and now they are on vacation.
    Alright. I tested the game last night and despite some minor issues, it seems to be working much better now! Thanks so much for the help. :)

So far I was able to throw small parties, a couple gotten married and had a baby and now they are on vacation.

Yay glad to hear it! What kind of minor issues are you having?

It is mainly graphics. Like when you like go more distant, you see like this blue screen thing. It goes away eventually though.

It is mainly graphics. Like when you like go more distant, you see like this blue screen thing. It goes away eventually though.

Oh I see. Did you alter your graphics files, or are you uncomfortable doing that?
    I never really tried altering the graphic file. I think with the graphic rules I had it set to shadows turned off and a few other settings.
    I never really tried altering the graphic file. I think with the graphic rules I had it set to shadows turned off and a few other settings.

Is the game recognizing your video card? Did you run graphic rules or just go in and alter some stuff?
    I think it just altered some stuff. I am not sure if the game recognizes the card or not though. I had to change some settings as when I checked on the boxes on graphic rules, the game won't launch until I unchecked the box.
    I think it just altered some stuff. I am not sure if the game recognizes the card or not though. I had to change some settings as when I checked on the boxes on graphic rules, the game won't launch until I unchecked the box.

Huh? Uncheck what box? Do you launch the game from a shortcut on your desktop? If you would like I will take a look at your graphic rules and video card files if you want to email them to me. Let me know I will pm you my email. I can check them out and make adjustments if necessary.
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Doesn't exist.
    Wow6432Node

Doesn't exist.
    EA GAMES folder

Doesn't exist.
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    edited June 2018
    Hey @JULES1111, remember when you emailed me those two files because the graphics rules maker didn't work on my machine (I have the same video card as you)? Well for some reason, TS2 wouldn't run the other day when I tried to play (been away for a couple of months with health issues and other things). I had to repair it using Origin launcher. And of course, it screwed up those files and I'm back to 800x600 resolution. I SWEAR I kept a copy of those files you sent me but I cannot for the life of me find them. Help? :dizzy:

Update: I followed some instructions on how to edit my files myself and got it fixed! I'm happily simming in Rosewood once again!
    Post edited by Rhiannon58 on
    edited June 2018
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Doesn't exist.
    Wow6432Node

Doesn't exist.
    EA GAMES folder

Doesn't exist.

Wait what? That's impossible. :o Oh wait...when you hit the windows button and R to open the search box, are you typing in REGEDIT or the HKEY LOCAL MACHINE or something else? You need to type regedit in that box, then hit ok. The rest of the files you need will pop up on a list one by one in the order listed.

Sorry I don't think I made that clear, badly worded. :/
  • Patuu3735Patuu3735 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi. For a long time I have a problem with The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. The game turns on at the beginning and as is the loading bar before choosing the world, the game jams and shuts off. It sends a notification "The program operation has been disrupted. The application will be closed." whoever had a similar problem, do you know how to fix it?
  • TheSimsandThewhoTheSimsandThewho Posts: 7 New Member
    Hi Everyone when I play the sims 2 the icon disappears after delete the cache flies and then I have task manager running and its says not responding

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top