Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Teaching Dogs Where They Are Meant To Go The Loo

Am I being thick here, I can't see any way to teach the dogs where to go to the loo?

In real life we train our dogs to do it in appropriate places, I can't see a way to do this in the Sims.

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Nothing678 wrote: »
    Am I being thick here, I can't see any way to teach the dogs where to go to the loo?

In real life we train our dogs to do it in appropriate places, I can't see a way to do this in the Sims.

In the game, you can click on a dog and ask it go relieve itself (I forget the phrasing in-game). If it can, it'll go outside to do that. If it's a puppy and you have porch stairs, you have to first carry it outside. After a few times, the dog knows to go out on its own (if you have a doggy door).
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    when your sims dogs go in the house you have your sim scold them, but if you click on them and click pet care sometimes there'll be an option "ask to go potty" and if you click it the dog will go outside and eventually learn to do his/her business outside. Also, if your sim takes the dog for a walk they'll go outside and eventually learn to potty outdoors that way as well.

those are the only two ways i know,
  • Options
    Nothing678Nothing678 Posts: 51 Member
    Thanks peoples, yeah those are the only ways I know too :(
    I was hoping to train them like I do in real life. They have a corner of the garden about two metres square which they poo on. It is covered in bark & it (the poo) is removed each day. It keeps it from cross contaminating the grass.
    I think I'll make it a suggestion in the other forum. thx xx
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    I wish there was a way to teach them where since sims 4 dogs seem to think pooping on the porch is as good as pooping on the grass.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    edited June 2018
    It would be nice if you could click on the ground and 'go potty here.' My dog always goes right outside the front or back door and sims are always stepping in it. :)
  • Options
    spontaneousivyspontaneousivy Posts: 250 Member
    Here's a plan. I have yet to try it though.

Lock all doors to the outside for your dog. Add a pet door that allows the dog to go outside, but align the entire area that you want it to poop on with fences (Even the low-lying ones from Get to Work should do the trick). The dog poops there, the Sim can walk over the fence to pick it up, but the dog cannot go to other outside areas to do business.
    If you want to go for a run/jog, just make sure to unlock one of the doors.
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    When you take the dog for a walk, you can click on the sidewalk and choose "encourage to do business."
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    After a few times, the dog knows to go out on its own (if you have a doggy door).
    I've never used doggy doors, what is the point of them? My dog just goes out through the normal sim door by himself. He is called Einstein though, maybe that's something to do with it.
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    After a few times, the dog knows to go out on its own (if you have a doggy door).
    I've never used doggy doors, what is the point of them? My dog just goes out through the normal sim door by himself. He is called Einstein though, maybe that's something to do with it.

So you can leave the door closed and prevent bugs/heat/cold from going on/out lol. And not have to go to the door all the time to let them in and out.

I had a Sims dog who always pooped right outside the door, except it would glitch and end up with the poop inside. Sigh.
  • Options
    Tanja1986Tanja1986 Posts: 1,237 Member
    I usually take the dog on a leash and go outside and then click on the ground and encourage the dog to relieve itself and it works, after a while of doing so it will show a popup saying the dog learned this. So after that he just goes outside to the loo. Sometimes I have to click on him and ask him to go potty and he will do.
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    don't forget that dogs with the 'smart' trait are...smart about everything except learning to potty. all other dogs will (eventually) learn to go outside on their own, but smart dogs never will (i've had to remove the trait until the pets learned, then put it back in. and yes, this has been reported a few times)
  • Options
    Nothing678Nothing678 Posts: 51 Member
    edited June 2018
    kalaksed wrote: »
    don't forget that dogs with the 'smart' trait are...smart about everything except learning to potty. all other dogs will (eventually) learn to go outside on their own, but smart dogs never will (i've had to remove the trait until the pets learned, then put it back in. and yes, this has been reported a few times)

I did not know that

I just put a bark dog loo area (precarious pine needle covering - in the garden menu) in the corner of the garden & told him to go to the loo. He weed in the correct place. Then walked just outside it and did a poo. Which my sim then walked in. Then he went back to the bark area & rolled in his own urine. Shoot me!
    Untitled.png
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    you can train them not to roll in puddles. and to not drink puddles. smart dogs will learn both of these faster (they learn everything faster than other dogs...except how to go potty on their own...), stubborn dogs will learn them and anything else slower. and, though i haven't really played with one, i'm guessing mischievous dogs will either learn slower too, or will occasionally just ignore their training